• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Games that have evoked emotional response.

Saith

Basically, post what games have actually made you emotional.
Due to us all being desensitised by the 'net, it's difficult for a game to make you sad when someone dies, or actually glad when you win.
Or post what didn't affect you, despite the events obviously wanting to.

So, for example, Sazh's storyline in FF13, was pretty emotional for me, I think it was well done (or at least, for a Final Fantasy). Maybe it was because he was the normal guy trying to rescue someone close to him.
Hope's storyline was definitely not, though. They tried too hard, and he ended up as a whiney ass.

Crappy first post, but ehhh.

Well...um...uh...jeez, can't really think of one. I can think of a number of things that would make me sad if they were in a game, but I haven't played any such games myself.

Oh wait, I've seen a video of a game(that's not even out yet!) that envoked such a response: Even though I've never played Super Metroid, watching one of the cutscenes of Other M on the Japanese website made me cringe when Mother Brain blasted the Metroid. I knew it was coming, but that screech caught me off guard. :[

MOTHER. GODDAMN. 3. The final boss...dear God, the final boss. "Claus staggered towards Lucas..." "Claus...embraced Lucas." "Lucas remembered Claus's scent..." IT DEVASTATED ME.

Also, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories' Good ending made me cry so hard. Harry finds his daughter just in time to find that he's not even real. She's sitting there, an emotional wreck of an adult, and he's no more than her fantasy of the perfect dad that she obsessively clings to, even though by playing the game you find out that he wasn't some knight in shining armor, but rather just human. Their eyes meet and they share a final goodbye as he freezes over, finally laid to rest but never forgotten.

And then it cuts to a home movie recorded by Cheryl of her parents about to part ways for the last time.

"You know this has nothing to do with you, right? Even though Mom and Dad don't love each other anymore, we both love you....And we always will."

Last edited:
In Silent Hill 3 when Heather finds her dad dead. Made me very sad, though I didn't want to seem like a wussy in front of mehisfishtaco. I've already cried about a million times watching movies with her.

The canon endings in both Shadow Hearts, and Shadow Hearts II;

At the end of Shadow Hearts, the Malice accumulated in the Graveyard were supposed to kill Yuri, but Alice went in and fought the Malice with him, only to sacrifice herself to save Yuri.

And then in Shadow Hearts II, as everyone else goes off back to 1917 to return home, Yuri is the only one who stays, in order to be taken by the curse of the Mistletoe, and to go back to the past to maybe 'set things right' again, so that Alice doesn't have to die
Also, in the PS2 remake of Tales of Destiny, Lion's death after his fight with the party always manages to choke me up

Oh, and that bittersweet True ending in BlazBlue? WHY? I ACTUALLY LIKED NU ;__________________________;

Last but not least, I have to mention the ending to Megaman Zero 4. After a climactic final battle with Weil on Ragnarok, Zero, who had stayed behind to finish Weil off and stray the course of the satellite from its target, bids his final farewell to Ciel, the Resistance, and the player. Naturally, the player's first reaction is "Oh, he's come back twice, even three times before already (if you count X6)", so he'll be fine... Right?" Wrong; not a single trace of Zero is left; only a broken Z-Saber, and his helmet, half buried in rubble and sand. Then you kinda realize, "Oh shit... He's dead? He's really not coming back? BAWWWWWWW".

I actually did cry during the ending to Megaman Zero 4 too. I felt almost exactly like Ciel did. Only difference is that I didn't sing :x

MOTHER 3 has been said before, so I won't do much more than mention it.

The first Klonoa game is one I'd like to mention.
Klonoa saved Phantomile, YAAAAAAY. Except that's it's not HIS world. In fact, all his childhood memories were made up for him, and he was summoned to Phantomile for the single reason of saving it just about a day earlier. And to top it off, he can't stay there either, because he doesn't belong there. So we see a portal appearing in the sky, and it begins sucking him in like a vacuum.
And now is the worst part. Klonoa fights with all his might to stay on the ground, slowly sliding off. But then Hewpoe, his best friend, grabs him and tries to keep him down for all he's worth. There's no comforting words between them or anything, all they do is scream each other's names in tearful agony.
Eventually, Hewpoe looses his grip, and Klonoa flies into the portal, off to God-knows-where.

One particular part of Persona 4 deserves a mention as well. Namely,
Nanako's "death." Yes, your adorable, sweet-hearted cousin, who every day greeted you with a loving "Welcome home, big bro", dies, holding your hand, no less.
Not only incredibly depressing to the player, but the entire main cast as well. It's the easiest to notice when Kanji, essentially the tough guy of the group, doesn't simply cry, but rather, hits the wall with his fist and screams out of pure grief.

Then there's two moments from No More Heroes 2 I'd like to mention as well.
The first is after the fight with Captain Vladimir, a demented cosmonaut from the Soviet Union who was left to die in Space, and after who knows how many years, returned to Earth without knowing it. When the fight is over, Travis breaks open his helm, and the dialogue between Travis and the dying Captain Vladimir afterwards is simply touching.
Travis: It's over, Captain.
Vladimir: This, this is Earth?
Travis: Yeah, welcome home.
Vladimir: So, I'm finally back, after all this time.
Vladimir: Fresh oxygen, blue sky. Beautiful as I remembered.

The second moment isn't really sad, but certainly had an effect. For the instructions on how to get to the second ranked Assassin, Alice, you're given the clue "Look for the Heroes' face."
When you go to the right destination, the camera changes position to a sideway view, almost as if you were playing a 2D sidescroller. You walk to the right, making your way forward little by little, and as you reach the end of the road, there's a skyscraper in the background, decorated with a giant drawing of Travis's face. It certainly surprised me.

And that's all that come off the top of my head right now, but trust me when I say there's more.

Last edited:
The ending of the first PMD was sad. I never played the second one, but I heard it's bad too.

Anyone who's played CoD: Modern Warfare probably remembers the nuke level. Anyone who's played MW2 probably remembers the airport level (No Russian, I believe it was called?). Both of those are pretty heavy-hitting.

A few of Ragna's endings in Blazblue are pretty messed up, but two really stick out to me. First, the Arcade ending. "We're going to be together...forever and always..." The second is one of his story mode endings. Don't remember which one it is, but
no matter whether you win or lose a particular fight against Nu, you get the same ending - Ragna and Nu fuse into the Black Beast, and Ragna loses control of himself, meaning he has to sit there screaming in horror, unable to control himself, watching as he strangles Noel and listens to her feeble cries for help. What's worse, because of the nature of the time loop, technically every ending for every character's story (including the different game-over exchanges) is canon, so this isn't a non-canon ending - it actually happened at one point in the storyline(s)

Also from Blazblue: If you play Carl's story and lose to Jin, you see a rather disturbing scene of Jin essentially torturing and killing Carl for shits n' giggles. As if you need another reason to hate Jin aside from him being both creepy and cheap as hell.

The ending of the first PMD was sad. I never played the second one, but I heard it's bad too.

Anyone who's played CoD: Modern Warfare probably remembers the nuke level. Anyone who's played MW2 probably remembers the airport level (No Russian, I believe it was called?). Both of those are pretty heavy-hitting.

A few of Ragna's endings in Blazblue are pretty messed up, but two really stick out to me. First, the Arcade ending. "We're going to be together...forever and always..." The second is one of his story mode endings. Don't remember which one it is, but
no matter whether you win or lose a particular fight against Nu, you get the same ending - Ragna and Nu fuse into the Black Beast, and Ragna loses control of himself, meaning he has to sit there screaming in horror, unable to control himself, watching as he strangles Noel and listens to her feeble cries for help. What's worse, because of the nature of the time loop, technically every ending for every character's story (including the different game-over exchanges) is canon, so this isn't a non-canon ending - it actually happened at one point in the storyline(s)

Also from Blazblue: If you play Carl's story and lose to Jin, you see a rather disturbing scene of Jin essentially torturing and killing Carl for shits n' giggles. As if you need another reason to hate Jin aside from him being both creepy and cheap as hell.

Ragna gets all of the shit in BB, and he doesn't deserve ANY of it.

And Jin is a raging faggothead. Moreso than Ky in Guilty Gear.

All because Jin rides a Nissan (do-ho, see what I did there)

The PMD2 one is worse, for clarification. I mean, most of the town people last see you when you go to Brine Cave, and the guild just says, "Goodbye, good luck," and stuff at the end of Brine Cave. And that's the last time they see anyone but your partner for a while.

Oh and Grovyle has to go back to the future. I was sooo sad when I played Darkness, and then I bought Sky and there was a special episode with him. And then he and Celebi had this little romantic moment before they vanished, and you thought they died with all the pretty music in the background, with Celebi seeing the sunrise for the first time, but then they came back and it was so HAPPY.

Special Episode 2 is also a real tear-jerker. One thing I like about the PMD series is that their music is so fitting. I don't even have to play the game, I just listen to some of the music and I start crying. Like the Defend Globe song... *sob*

I also watched an LP of Twilight Princess even though I don't have the game myself. Most of the stuff with Midna got me, especially towards the end. I mean, first she gets blasted by Lanayru and starts dying. Then in the battle with Ganondorf she tries to protect Zelda, but fails. And then after Ganon, she tries to take him by herself, and Ganondorf rears up on his horse and breaks her helmet, which is a really sickening moment. After the final battle, you see something stand up on the hill and it turns around to be a really pretty, exotic-looking lady, and you realize "Holy crap that's Midna." And then she goes and breaks the Mirror of Twilight and cries while doing it (unless that was some ball of power that came from her eye or something).

Or maybe I'm just someone who cries a lot at pixels, I dunno.

Mother 3...been mentioned enough, don't need to go into detail.

PMD2... Even when I disappear...I'll never forget you...

The ending to Shadow of the Colossus...and the rest of the game, really.

Before the last part of the final battle in Okami...

Chrono Trigger... Many scenes with Magus and also Death Peak.

Fire Emblem 7... When Eliwood kills Ninian.

And Fire Emblem 8... Lyon's words in the final chapter were just saddening.

I mostly only play games that I know will evoke an emotional response, otherwise I find them slightly pointless. I don't find much fun in games with characters I can't feel for. :/

Final Fantasy VII -- Yeah, yeah. That overrated FF that gets way too much attention. But I don't care. When I first played this when I was about 11 or 12, I was genuinely shocked at how amazing it was, how deep the story was, since it was my first RPG. A Certain Character's death was obviously horribly sad, but it was just one of many emotional moments of the games that I still remember. I related very strongly with Cloud and especially his identity crisis -- the part where the player goes into his head after the Lifestream event really affected me.

That's the big one, but basically most RPGs affect me because I get rather emotionally invested in games. XD Final Fantasy X, The World Ends With You and Persona 4 all got me pretty fired up in one way or another, and I can already tell how people laud Mother 3 for this... I'm only a few hours into the game. XD

I mostly only play games that I know will evoke an emotional response, otherwise I find them slightly pointless. I don't find much fun in games with characters I can't feel for. :/
This. I go into a game hoping to get emotionally attached, and I'm disappointed when I don't.

Shinjiro's death in Persona 3 was a major emotional moment for me; well, not really his death so much as the scene afterward with Akihiko talking to his photo and breaking down crying in an amazingly voice-acted scene. And then, there was the very end... ;-;

Tales of the Abyss... the first scene that really made my heartstrings tug was everyone abandoning Luke after he destroyed Akzeriuth; all the individual lines from each character hit so hard, particularly Guy's "Don't make me think even less of you", after he'd been the only one to always stand up for Luke. In fact, Luke's emotional and mental struggles throughout the game after that point all got to me. Ion's death is probably generally considered the saddest moment in the game, but the parts that made me cry most were after Jade suggested that Luke sacrifice his life. Everyone's reaction was heartbreaking, but I was sobbing for about half an hour after the short exchange between Luke and Jade.

The World Ends With You had moments, but the ones that caused the most emotional response weren't heartbreaking moments so much as just... quietly sad ones. All of Joshua's character development made me ); - particularly the realization that he must have chosen not to come back to life.

Oh god, and Disgaea? Yeah, very goofy game, but Episode 8 was just... oh god. And it made me cry even before I looked up the voice-acted version on YouTube.

Finally, Exit Fate. Think about this: you hate a character's guts for the majority of the game and then realize she's actually a really good character and you like her... five minutes before she dies. Ouch.

/rambling that probably left out a ton of stuff anyway

FFX choked me up a bit, but not really for the same reasons that it does for most people. When Tidus finds the sphere with the recording of Jecht, I got a lump in my throat. Jecht wasn't actually trying to be mean to his son, he just didn't know how to express his love. And then he'd never get to see his son again until he turned into a giant cosmic horror. ;_;

Also, Fire Emblem 10's numerous deaths made me go a little weepy. Especially Pelleas, Dheginsea and Sephiran. Moreso when we discover Sephiran and Zelgius's backstories.

The Ace Attorney series comes to mind. Okay, the vast majority of the time, the emotion in question is geeky joy, but to be honest, that's one of my favourite emotions :3

Oh, and that bittersweet True ending in BlazBlue? WHY? I ACTUALLY LIKED NU ;__________________________;
I haven't finished BlazBlue yet, but I know the ending is gonna be epic. :D

One particular part of Persona 4 deserves a mention as well. Namely,
Nanako's "death." Yes, your adorable, sweet-hearted cousin, who every day greeted you with a loving "Welcome home, big bro", dies, holding your hand, no less.
Not only incredibly depressing to the player, but the entire main cast as well. It's the easiest to notice when Kanji, essentially the tough guy of the group, doesn't simply cry, but rather, hits the wall with his fist and screams out of pure grief.
D:

D:

Back
Top Bottom