• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

HG/SS Trick Room Team

Leaftail

I have been using this trick room team on Shoddy for a few weeks now, with relative success, and want some help on improving it.

Hephaestus (Bronzong) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/152 Atk/8 Def/96 SDef
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Explosion
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

My lead, Bronzong is great for a trick room team as it has high defenses, low speed, and only one weakness. Sets up trick room and stealth rock and switches to one of my sweepers. Gyro ball OHKOs Gengar and Tyranitar. Can be switched in several times before exploding.

Dionysus (Snorlax) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 SDef
Brave nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Crunch
- Selfdestruct
- Earthquake
- Return

My tank. Snorlax can be switched in on fire type moves aimed at Bronzong. Snorlax obviously uses return over body slam because the loss of the opponent’s speed in trick room is detrimental. Earthquake OHKOs Heatran and Magnezone. Crunch is for ghosts and psychics. Selfdestruct can KO many pokemon, even those that resist it.

Ares (Scizor) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Superpower / Brick Break

My main sweeper. Sets up swords dance, then sweeps with stab + technician bullet punch / stab bug bite. Bullet punch is a really useful move as it can be used to attack first when trick room is down, which would otherwise cripple it.
I am unsure whether to use superpower or brick break. The former has a higher power, but it lowers my attack and defense, while the latter can destroy light screen / reflect, and still has enough power to KO most of the pokemon that superpower does.

Tethys (Dragonite) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Rash nature (+SAtk, -SDef) / Quiet nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Superpower
- Thunderbolt

My secondary sweeper. Thunderbolt 2HKOs Suicune and Vaporeon. Superpower OHKOs Heatran, Blissey and Tyranitar. Draco Meteor is for fellow dragons and others that aren’t KO’d by the other moves.
I am currently using rash nature, because the loss of special defense is not a problem for sweepers, but since it is a trick room team, I may want to switch to using quiet.

Athena (Slowbro) @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Trick Room
- Surf

My second trick room Pokemon. Slowbro goes well with Bronzong as it resists Bronzong’s weakness. Due to its high defense, it can be switched back in many times and use slack off to heal.

Hades (Dusknoir) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
- Trick Room
- Will-o-wisp
- Shadow Punch
- Pain Split

My third trick room Pokemon. Switches in on fighting-type moves and sets up. Will-o-wisp is for enemy Tyranitar switching in. Shadow Punch provides a (rather weak) stab move. Dusknoir is not likely to stay in as long as Bronzong, but it can still take a beating and heal with pain split.

I enjoy your nick-name theme.

first question: why have two suicidal pokemon? You have Bronzong, with Explosion, and you also have Snorlax with Selfdestruct. Normally, I would think that these are choices that aren't too bad on their own, but together they might be dangerous. Also, you normally don't have a tank that kills itself, I would think. Bug Bite isn't the best bug move for Scizor. X-scissor is more powerful, and will more likely faint pokemon quicker. Not that I don't like Scizor, but that's an unusually fast pokemon for a Trick Room team. Also, go with Brick Break if it basically does the same thing, and more.

also, on Dragontie, if you're going with a more powerful Sp Attack basis (which why you would do that is beyond me) you want Fire Blast for Flamethrower and Focus Blast for Superpower. Probably. It will drastically decrease the amount of times your Dragonite will be able to attack, but if it's holding the Life Orb, then all you really need to worry about is accuracy, because when it does hit your opponent, the pokemon is almost 100% liable to faint. However, I would still use either Dragon Rush or Dragon Claw over Draco Meteor. Draco Meteor is a great move, but Dragonite's attack is higher than its Sp. Attack, maybe even with a Sp. Attack oriented nature, and Draco Meteor lowers your Sp. Attack. For other dragons, switch to Slowbro, it knows Ice Beam!also, most Ice-type moves are special, also are a lot of rock-type moves, which are his main weaknesses, so I wouldn't lower Sp. Defence, or Defence, for that matter because when Dragonite is gone, you'll be very sorry. Dragonite is a power house if you use it right, and it can hardly be knocked out.

Dusknoir is asking you for another offensive move. Go with Ice Punch or Rock Tomb for best coverage, over Pain Split, because if you're going to burn the pokemon then continue to attack it, there won't be much pain to split, and you might actually end up helping your opponent some.

I might be wrong on some things, and I might also be nit-picky, but that's my take on it.

I enjoy your nick-name theme.

first question: why have two suicidal pokemon? You have Bronzong, with Explosion, and you also have Snorlax with Selfdestruct. Normally, I would think that these are choices that aren't too bad on their own, but together they might be dangerous. Also, you normally don't have a tank that kills itself, I would think. Bug Bite isn't the best bug move for Scizor. X-scissor is more powerful, and will more likely faint pokemon quicker. Not that I don't like Scizor, but that's an unusually fast pokemon for a Trick Room team. Also, go with Brick Break if it basically does the same thing, and more.

technician makes that stronger than XS at 90 vs 80 with cool side effect and more PP to boot. bronzong is there to SR, TR, and gtfo. I don't know about snorlax, though, but STAB selfdestruct is cool.

also, on Dragontie, if you're going with a more powerful Sp Attack basis (which why you would do that is beyond me) you want Fire Blast for Flamethrower and Focus Blast for Superpower. Probably. It will drastically decrease the amount of times your Dragonite will be able to attack, but if it's holding the Life Orb, then all you really need to worry about is accuracy, because when it does hit your opponent, the pokemon is almost 100% liable to faint.

oh, no. fire blast is if you can't guarantee that you'll faint the opponent, but you can guarantee they'll faint you. superpower is for SURPRISE! DIE, BLISSEY!

However, I would still use either Dragon Rush or Dragon Claw over Draco Meteor. Draco Meteor is a great move, but Dragonite's attack is higher than its Sp. Attack, maybe even with a Sp. Attack oriented nature, and Draco Meteor lowers your Sp. Attack.

yes. it's also effectively a base 210 off base 100 spa anyway.

For other dragons, switch to Slowbro, it knows Ice Beam!also, most Ice-type moves are special, also are a lot of rock-type moves, which are his main weaknesses, so I wouldn't lower Sp. Defence, or Defence, for that matter because when Dragonite is gone, you'll be very sorry. Dragonite is a power house if you use it right, and it can hardly be knocked out.

it's nice to have backup, yes?

Dusknoir is asking you for another offensive move. Go with Ice Punch or Rock Tomb for best coverage, over Pain Split, because if you're going to burn the pokemon then continue to attack it, there won't be much pain to split, and you might actually end up helping your opponent some.

it's for setting up TR and walling, not for sweeping. pain split is its only instantaneous recovery move. definitely not rock tomb, which decreases enemy speed, and is horribly inaccurate too.

I might be wrong on some things, and I might also be nit-picky, but that's my take on it.

yes.

might want a bit of support or healing on dragonite and snorlax.

Changes:

Apollo (Umbreon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP/200 Atk/56 SDef
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Curse
- Wish
- Payback
- Baton Pass

Replaces Snorlax. Sets up curse, payback when necessary, then wish and BP to a sweeper.

Scizor
- Brick Break

seems fine, but you realized that you won't be able to get the effects of trick room while you curse unless you pass to a TRer, yes?

Changes:

Apollo (Umbreon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP/200 Atk/56 SDef
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Curse
- Wish
- Payback
- Baton Pass

Replaces Snorlax. Sets up curse, payback when necessary, then wish and BP to a sweeper.

Why not have it be female ( I know gender and nature breeding), and then name it Artemis? She is the godess of the moon and the hunt, whereas Apollo is the God of the sun and poetry. This is a little semantical, but I think it would make more sense, unless you wanted to get an Espeon.

Back
Top Bottom