• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

evolving pokemon

Chief Zackrai

pingpong wixard
Well first, I can't believe I have to ask this, but I'm a little confused.

So if a pokemon is supposed to evolve at oh, say level 32, but you hold it off until level 45, does the pokemon have the same stats that it would if it had evolved at level 32, and everything else had gone the same exact way? Let's say I have a Porygon that is level 24. I can evolve it because I have an Up-Grade, but I wait until it is level 30. Are its stats the same if I had evolved it at level 24, then raised it to level 30? the same thing with pokemon like Weavile and Gliscor. Does it really matter what level I evolve them at?

The way this is worded gives off a little confusion, but I hope someone can help.

Uh... No, I don't really think when you evolve affects stats. If it does it probably just catches up during the next few levels or something, like when you get so many EVs before one level.

I could be wrong but if you're waiting to learn a certain move or something before you evolve that's cool. The game kind of expects you to do that. After you evolve it you can learn whatever the evolved form would only learn at the move rememberer guy, too. There's more pros than cons if there's any cons at all.

so... it doesn't matter at what level it evolves? that's cool. When you say it recalculates, the IVs stay the same, right?

yes. everything stays the same except the species, stats, and hp.

EDIT: also anything dependent on those two three, but.

Last edited:
The stats of a pokemon are based upon their IV's. IV's don't change regardless of when a pokemon would or could evolve. So, no matter when you evolve it, the stats will recalculate based on the IV's, not the level.

Alright, I have another evolution question. how do you determine what ability your pokemon will have when the abilities of the pokemon it evolves into don't match up? So when yo have a Tyrogue, and his abilities can either be guts or steadfast(i think), but you want to make him into a hitmontop, which has intimidate and Technician. how is that determined?

There's no real effect on stats, but evolving as soon as possible does make it a hell of a lot easier to train the Pokémon (best way to level up is fighting the Elite Four over and over, right? well, imagine trying to fight them with a bunch of weak unevolved stuff that dies in one hit from anything...)

So unless there's a move you want to learn first (like a Shroomish learning Spore... Brelooms don't learn it, so you need to get it before evolving), there's really no reason to hold off on evolution, and if you do it'll just make things harder.

As for abilities: they match up. Whichever one is the "first" ability that Pokémon can have will always become the "first" ability on the evolved form's list. So Guts on a Tyrogue = Intimidate on a Hitmontop, and so on.

EDIT: I think there's a glitch related to abilities in the 4th-gen games, though; if you get a Pokémon that only had one ability in the 3rd-gen games and transfer it to D/P/Pt/HG/SS through Pal Park, evolving it will cause its ability to switch over to the second one sometimes.

I think there's a glitch related to abilities in the 4th-gen games, though; if you get a Pokémon that only had one ability in the 3rd-gen games and transfer it to D/P/Pt/HG/SS through Pal Park, evolving it will cause its ability to switch over to the second one sometimes.
Glitch? It just goes with whether the pokémon should've had the first or second ability. It didn't matter in RSEFRLG since it only had one ability, but it matters in DPPtHGSS.

Note that there might've been a change in how it determines ability, so if you want a rhyperior with Solid Rock from an RSEFRLG rhyhorn, transfer it as a rhyhorn, not a rhydon.

Glitch? It just goes with whether the pokémon should've had the first or second ability. It didn't matter in RSEFRLG since it only had one ability, but it matters in DPPtHGSS.

Yeah... I already know how it works.

I really doubt the "changing abilities" effect was intentional, though. That's why I called it a glitch. Maybe "programming oversight" or something like that would be a better term for it, but still... it only happens because of the way abilities are stored, and there's really no other reason for the ability to change.

They probably could have fixed it so that Pal Park'ed Pokémon always have the same ability they had before (like maybe automatically switching the ability to the first one whenever a "one ability in RSE, two in DPP" Pokémon is sent over)... but they apparently didn't think of that before the games were done.

I'd still be surprised if it wasn't intentional. You can't easily change a pokémon's ability in RSEFRLG because it just stores if it has the first ability or the second and looks it up when relevant; DPPtHGSS store the actual ability of the pokémon. Enough pokémon change abilities when they evolve -- I'm thinking of trapinch to vibrava, here, but there's probably a better example that just isn't coming to me right now -- that it sort of makes sense for its evolutions to have the proper ability.

It does ONLY if u battle different pokemon. This is because of EVs.

If a Cyndaquil battles 3 Ariados without Pokerus, then it will gain 6 EVs in Attack, I think.

If it evolves at Lv. 14, then when it goes up to Lv. 16, it'll have the same stats assuming you keep battling Ariados. But if you battle Ponyta's instead, they'll be different.

But no, assuming you battle the same opponents, the stats will be the same.

Actually, stats and some abilities revolve around each other, but at a direct point, stats don't affect abilities in any way, it's the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom