• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

hail team. another one.

1. Luftballon

Banned
Pronoun
it
Frostleaf (Abomasnow) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect

standard subseed abomasnow. mostly just for scouting fire moves. it's really just there for the hail.

alternative:

Frostleaf (Abomasnow) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake

this one is scarfed and kills stuff. it checks scizor, who otherwise destroys this team but for heatran, and helps with blissey. and wallbreaking.

Firepool (Heatran) (F) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/6 SDef
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Explosion

I'm probably going to regret not having leftovers on this, actually. this is here because half my team is weak to fire. it also sets up stealth rocks. it attempts to check blissey.

Snowsong (Glaceon) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Cloak
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Ice Beam

ground over fighting for actually slightly better coverage. I could substitute wish for ice beam, for wishpassing, though blizzard runs out of PP horribly fast.

Heavyfoot (Walrein) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 220 HP/252 Def/38 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Protect
- Super Fang
- Brine

stallrein, brinefang variant, with two fewer points speed to underspeed stallrein counters, which typically rely on a combination of being slower and using priority.

Berryeyes (Forretress) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/6 Def/252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Payback

a rapid-spinner. I'm considering replacing this with cloyster, which can run the same exact set, except using blizzard. or explosion. I probably could actually use explosion here. sets up spikes and toxic spikes, especially toxic spikes. toxic spikes is just horribly necessary for the proper functioning of stallrein.

Driftcloud (Tentacruel) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/138 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Poison Jab
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

extra rapid spin and toxic spikes support. also does a bit of physical attacking because a certain special wall is a pain. my only fighting-resist, I think. that needs work.

suggestions needed for: counters to fighting, counters for machamp specifically, counters to rock (thankfully, they're mostly slow and easy to brine out of the way).

Last edited:
I'd switch Forretress out for Cloyster, only because you can run Blizzard on it, and it's another pokemon that resists hail weather. If you've still got hail from your Abomasnow, and Glaceon's out of the picture somehow, you can send it out for some quick Blizzards, and set up your spikes. And do I see a Poison Jab on your Tentacruel, there,(and I'm guessing here-the site says you're an "it") Mr.Poison-is-terrible-offensively? But, that's probably there for the chance of poisoning flying-types, and pokemon with levitate, isn't it?

That's prettymuch all my brain's good for right now, but for Machamp... I would try to teach one of your pokemon either Psychic, or Aerial Ace (Oh my god so many pokemon can learn Aerial Ace nowadays!)

I'd switch Forretress out for Cloyster, only because you can run Blizzard on it, and it's another pokemon that resists hail weather.

it's also weak to fighting and rock. and has pitiful specials.

If you've still got hail from your Abomasnow, and Glaceon's out of the picture somehow, you can send it out for some quick Blizzards, and set up your spikes.

well, glaceon is not intended to come out until late-game, to soften things up for walrein, or to clean up after. forretress is part of the set-up.

And do I see a Poison Jab on your Tentacruel, there,(and I'm guessing here-the site says you're an "it") Mr.Poison-is-terrible-offensively? But, that's probably there for the chance of poisoning flying-types, and pokemon with levitate, isn't it?

yes, that is a poison jab on tentacruel, when poison is a typicaly horribly offensive move. it also happens to combine with water for nearly-perfect coverage. (water combines with lots of weird things for good coverage: water/flying, water/normal, water/poison, water/dragon)

That's prettymuch all my brain's good for right now, but for Machamp... I would try to teach one of your pokemon either Psychic, or Aerial Ace (Oh my god so many pokemon can learn Aerial Ace nowadays!)

psychic is otherwise horrible offensively, and aerial ace is just horrible. (it's fine with technician, but.) In any case, STAB blizzard (bp 180) works as well as or better than SE psychic (BP 180) coming off anything other than maybe jynx, which would just compound my horribly fire and steel weaknesses (okay, maybe not so horrible), and doesn't work significantly better than glaceon, who can just blast away with choiced blizzard and 2hko machamp if it gets it on the switch. I just don't like having to kill off abomasnow for a machamp.

Oh lord, hail teams are so annoying to beat... Anyways, A couple of ideas come up. Maybe you could replace Forretress with Froslass, since Tentacruel also knows TS. Froslass also can partner with Stallrein nicely, setting up spikes, blocking Rapid Spin, and Stalling with the mix of Snow Cloak and a Substitute. Maybe to block fighting pokemon, you could use Starmie, which also can block some of you other weaknesses.

Oh oh oh... that said Walrein... I thought it read Wailord.... yeah, that changes things...Yeah what wyoming789 said sounds better than me.

A Froslass might help you out here, what with the immunity to fighting moves. Maybe have it set up Spikes while you're at it?

testing a froslass now. the thing is, I find that I really appreciate having both rapid spinners since walrein and glaceon are both weak to stealth rock.

starmie sound like a reasonable idea, though the lack of toxic spikes is a negative.

Back
Top Bottom