• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

D/P/Pt damn it, this isn't working

Autumn

bye
Pronoun
she
so, like. I've been trying to get a 100 win streak on Platinum's Battle Tower for the past several months, using the following team:

Starmie@Choice Specs
Timid, 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
IVs: 21 HP/2 Atk/6 Def/26 SpA/28 SpD/31 Spe
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Surf

Salamence@Life Orb
Naive, 248 Atk/8 SpA/252 Spe
IVs: 27 HP/20 Atk/28 Def/18 SpA/23 SpD/7 Spe
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Aerial Ace

Lucario@Expert Belt
Jolly, 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
IVs: 5 HP/19 Atk/18 Def/30 SpA/24 SpD/22 Spe
Ice Punch
Earthquake
Close Combat
Crunch

... and it hasn't been working. I think part of the problem is lack of good IVs, but honestly? I don't quite have the patience to breed for better ones, and I don't know how to manipulate them. I'd ask for them over the GTS, but I doubt anyone is willing to breed me a couple of Pokémon just so that I can get a better streak to add the last star to my trainer card. >:T So my question here is: does anyone have any suggestions to change moves or even Pokémon to make this team even better so that I have a hope of getting a 100-win streak on the Battle Tower without needing perfect IVs? I mean, I'll breed for natures and IVs that aren't that bad, but I just don't have the patience to spend the time necessary for perfect IVs. :x

(Or, alternatively, if anyone's actually willing to breed me a couple of perfect-IV babies, that'd be much appreciated too ; ; on the other hand, I've never used the GTS before so :x)

... yeah, this post has little point. I'd be immensely grateful if someone could give me input though. I'm a perfectionist and insistent on getting every star on my trainer card so I'm probably not going to be able to rest easy until I add the last one but I've been trying for months and it's just.not.working. ; ;

Hm... I've only got two suggestions. First of all, do you run into double-team spammers on a regular basis? And can you often deal with them without aerial ace? If yes, then you might want to consider dragon dance (as I've read before elsewhere that you got swept by a DD kingdra at least once). And if there's something you don't use often and are willing to replace on lucario's moveset, try extremespeed (though admittedly that can't take advantage of expert belt - have you considered life orb?).

Anyway, I do have the resources to breed a perfect speed and attack Bagon, though I lack a Riolu to breed with (and Starmie can't be bred at all :P). If you could provide me with a Riolu, I could breed some Pokemon for you, though I'm not sure how long it'd take.

Hm... I've only got two suggestions. First of all, do you run into double-team spammers on a regular basis? And can you often deal with them without aerial ace? If yes, then you might want to consider dragon dance (as I've read before elsewhere that you got swept by a DD kingdra at least once).

I almost never run into Double Team, but I figured extra attack power would be useful, since I don't often see the point in setting up when there are only three Pokémon. I might try it, if it would be more helpful.

And if there's something you don't use often and are willing to replace on lucario's moveset, try extremespeed (though admittedly that can't take advantage of expert belt - have you considered life orb?).

The original Smogon set that I ripped actually had Extremespeed in place of Earthquake, but I intended to use my Lucario for the Battle Hall, so I went for coverage instead. But then I found that the Lucario sucks at the Battle Hall anyway so. :V I would go for Life Orb except for the fact that I only have one, and it's on Salamence.

Anyway, I do have the resources to breed a perfect speed and attack Bagon, though I lack a Riolu to breed with (and Starmie can't be bred at all :P). If you could provide me with a Riolu, I could breed some Pokemon for you, though I'm not sure how long it'd take.

... hmm. I've never used the GTS before (and to be honest I'm kinda (irrationally) nervous about doing so) but. I have a couple Lucarios left over from when I was trying to breed an Adamant one (and ended up with a Jolly one with better IVs than any of the Adamant ones, hence the one above being Jolly), but it's worth noting that you'll have to breed the Lucario with something that Riolu can inherit Crunch from. :/ So how exactly am I to go about trading it to you over GTS? *clueless* Oh and what do you want for the Bagon? I can give you pretty much anything you want; I have nearly every Pokémon.

(edit: actually if you want to do a gts trade, I can't until Wednesday)

Last edited:
protip: in battle hall, you can choice something for effectively no penalty. you'll be spamming your power move anyway.

I like dropping draco meteor on random physical dragons for massive damage, but I haven't tried it in battle tower, so. outrage is a favorite on smogon, but also untested. does 1.5x the damage, but the locking in is a pain. but since you refuse to use dragon dance.

psychic isn't too good starmie; it doesn't really cover anything surf can't, and trick messes up a lot more anyway.

I have a few staryu with perfect speed+, though not necessarily perfect special attack. if naive or hasty are fine with you, I can see if I can get you one. (I mean, the other stats don't really matter for starmie, do they?)

(and you'll need a lucario to breed. riolu are babies.)

protip: in battle hall, you can choice something for effectively no penalty. you'll be spamming your power move anyway.

yeah I realized that recently but I don't even need to beat the Battle Hall for the last star on the trainer card so :x I thought I had to get gold prints on all five facilities but apparently I really just need a 100-win streak in the Tower.

I like dropping draco meteor on random physical dragons for massive damage, but I haven't tried it in battle tower, so. outrage is a favorite on smogon, but also untested. does 1.5x the damage, but the locking in is a pain. but since you refuse to use dragon dance.

I'd use Dragon Dance if it was really that much better of an option than Aerial Ace, but it doesn't seem to be. :/

psychic isn't too good starmie; it doesn't really cover anything surf can't, and trick messes up a lot more anyway.

eh, true. I just picked a Choice Specs set off Smogon and it had Psychic on it. but without the Specs Starmie fails to KO stuff it'd otherwise be OHKOing so I'm a bit reluctant to get rid of them through Trick :/

I have a few staryu with perfect speed+, though not necessarily perfect special attack. if naive or hasty are fine with you, I can see if I can get you one. (I mean, the other stats don't really matter for starmie, do they?)

The Starmie I already use has a perfect speed IV and is Timid, but I'm looking for one with better special attack as well if possible :/

(and you'll need a lucario to breed. riolu are babies.)

yeah, I said that I had a few Lucario from previous breeding attempts. :/

Ah, trading over GTS runs the risk of losing a Pokemon, so a WiFi Union room would be better. We could exchange friend codes and trade there.

Hmm... The only thing I'm really looking for at the moment is a Calm Ditto. If you don't have one, then that's fine; I'll take anything.

In the meantime, I guess I'll breed for that Bagon. Then, perhaps we could trade the Bagon for the Lucario, and then the resulting Riolu for a Calm Ditto, if you have one?

Back
Top Bottom