• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Bleh.

Chief Zackrai

pingpong wixard
So I ran my team on Shoddy Battle a couple of times, and I only won once out of three. The first pokemon to go was almost always Nidoking. He would get one-hit a lot. This probably isn't too important, but almost always the next pokemon that was easiest to knock out was Cloyster, despite his massive defenses. I don't need to replace Cloyster, but I think Nidoking needs to go, unfortunately.

To replace him, I was thinking:
464.png
W/ Expert Belt N:Careful Ability:Solid Rock
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Ice Punch
Megahorn

The only real changes are that apparently, I intend to do a lot more damage with super-effective moves, and Ice Punch for Ice Beam. Rhyperior's Base Sp. Attack Stat is only 55, so I decided it couldn't be helped, and it probably would do more damage if I used Ice Punch anyway. He gets STAB with two of the moves this time, and he is only a little slower.

If you think it is too soon to judge, then I would usually agree with you, but I would send him out, then he would faint when I blinked.

Also, I was kind of running into the same problem with Weavile, but I suppose that was expected. I suppose he doesn't deserve to be replaced, but if I had to, I would probably go with Frosslass, Mamoswine, Dewgong, or Frost Forme Rotom. (call me crazy)

If that last bit is stupid, then disregard it. This whole thing is probably stupid, but I still need help.

Maybe you should use Substitute or Avalanche over Ice Punch, since the only real thing Ice Punch hits for super effective that Stone Edge doesn't are Ground types, which you shouldnt be using rhyperior against anyways. Careful isnt really that good a nature for Rhyperior, use Adamant or Impish instead.

@sresservoir: whatever the first/second pokemon that they sent out. I say first/second because one of them led with a Foretress, which the switched out as soon as I switched to Dragonnite so I could use Fire Blast, which I haven't hit with yet. Then I switched back to Nidoking, he fainted withing a few hits, except when they had a Cresselia, and I used Megaorn repeatedly while they continued to use Rest over and over again. But Cresselia didn't faint my Nidoking... I forget which one of theirs it was, but the other person's lead (which I am beginning to think was an Aeordactyl) took out my Nidoking fairly easily, which how that was is beyond me, when I used Ice Beam, which I know doesn't get 4x damage, but I was saving Stone Edge for something more important along the line. However, with Ice Beam, he took out a Dragonite with one/two (I forget to be honest) hits, and he critical'd on a Blissey and took it out with one hit from a Earthquake.

@Wyoming: Why (other than the obvious reasons) would I use a nature to boost an already outstanding stat, when I can throw people off instead? If people know that Rhyperior has a low Sp. Defense stat and a high Defense stat, which pokemon do you thin they will send out? Their Physical sweeper? I think not, honestly. I'm not trying to be rude, but I honestly feel my idea is better, if only to get him to last longer against, oh say a powerful Porygon-Z, or Alakazam. (both of which he would take out fairly quickly anyway, but not without serious damage/fainting first.) This is why I chose Careful, he could use the Sp. Defense to my advantage.

Edit: alright, I just battled once, and the only one not to faint was Nidoking... you know, until I lost.

Edit^2: I did another battle, and Weavile redeemed itself. First, I took out his Flygon. Then, because it had used Draco Metoer and was Life Orb'd, I only had 2% HP left. I had used Ice Shard. So he sends out his Gallade. I figure I'm going to faint anyway, so I just use Ice Shard again. I critical, and take down his Gallade as well. The the person sends out their Crobat, which is an easy win for my Wevile's Ice Shard, because Nidoking had already hit it with Ice Beam. Then they had Bronzong... it was a disappointing end to an awesome streak, but well worth it.

Last edited:
@sresservoir: whatever the first/second pokemon that they sent out. I say first/second because one of them led with a Foretress, which the switched out as soon as I switched to Dragonnite so I could use Fire Blast, which I haven't hit with yet. Then I switched back to Nidoking, he fainted withing a few hits, except when they had a Cresselia, and I used Megaorn repeatedly while they continued to use Rest over and over again. But Cresselia didn't faint my Nidoking... I forget which one of theirs it was, but the other person's lead (which I am beginning to think was an Aeordactyl) took out my Nidoking fairly easily, which how that was is beyond me, when I used Ice Beam, which I know doesn't get 4x damage, but I was saving Stone Edge for something more important along the line. However, with Ice Beam, he took out a Dragonite with one/two (I forget to be honest) hits, and he critical'd on a Blissey and took it out with one hit from a Earthquake.

I think what you're saying is that you have prediction problems. in which case, changing your team son't actually help that much.

@Wyoming: Why (other than the obvious reasons) would I use a nature to boost an already outstanding stat, when I can throw people off instead? If people know that Rhyperior has a low Sp. Defense stat and a high Defense stat, which pokemon do you thin they will send out? Their Physical sweeper? I think not, honestly. I'm not trying to be rude, but I honestly feel my idea is better, if only to get him to last longer against, oh say a powerful Porygon-Z, or Alakazam. (both of which he would take out fairly quickly anyway, but not without serious damage/fainting first.) This is why I chose Careful, he could use the Sp. Defense to my advantage.

you're thinking about it wrong.

10*11/10 = 11
100*11/10 = 110

you get more from increasing your high stats than low stats. it's going to die to a pory-z or an alakazam anyway; overkill doesn't work that way.

Edit: alright, I just battled once, and the only one not to faint was Nidoking... you know, until I lost.

Edit^2: I did another battle, and Weavile redeemed itself. First, I took out his Flygon. Then, because it had used Draco Metoer and was Life Orb'd, I only had 2% HP left. I had used Ice Shard. So he sends out his Gallade. I figure I'm going to faint anyway, so I just use Ice Shard again. I critical, and take down his Gallade as well. The the person sends out their Crobat, which is an easy win for my Wevile's Ice Shard, because Nidoking had already hit it with Ice Beam. Then they had Bronzong... it was a disappointing end to an awesome streak, but well worth it.

I assume you were using a banded weavile?

yes, I was. He's my new best friend. He takes down like everything that doesn't resist down with one hit.

I think you're right, about my prediction problems. I tried again and again, and he was actually one of my best pokemon.

Also, I lose a lot, but only because everyone has bullet punch Scizors and Metagrosses. Oh, and Focus Blast Gengars. They take down my Porygon-Z. But I think I might want to have another pokemon to know a ghost/dark-type move other than Weavile and PoryZ. But, I can't think of anything.

Also, when am I supposed to use stat-boosting moves? Right when I send them out, or whenever I see an opportunity arising? I've had them, and I've tried to use them, but I always take some serious damage for it.

Edit: Woo! just won a battle with no fatalities!

Last edited:
Also, when am I supposed to use stat-boosting moves? Right when I send them out, or whenever I see an opportunity arising? I've had them, and I've tried to use them, but I always take some serious damage for it.

Use them near the end of the battle, when you know what to expect from your opponent. It's best to use them when you predict your opponent to switch, essentially giving you a 'free' boost (for example, if the opponent has a Choice item and you send out something that is immune to the attack that they are locked onto).

ah. Also, I'm not sure I made this clear, but I've basically decided not to replace anyone. So yeah... this was basically a panicky thread, I wasn't confident with my team. But I have won a good amount of the shoddy battles I've participated in. I almost beat superbird, but that Claydol of his... wow. I never thought a mono team could be so resilient to types they're weak to.

...wait, I thought you won.

Anyway, that's the point. Covering my weaknesses extra well...Which are easy to pinpoint since I'm going monotype.

no your Claydol's defenses were too much for my Weavile somehow. I was confused, too. Although I was surprised how easily I took down your Charizard. Btw, I don't liek your Swellow. I'm surprised that isn't what took me down.
I fought a few other Skarmories, and all they did was stall. I would hit them ROOST. I hit them again ROOST. This went on for a while. The only reason I didn't earthquake it when it lost its flying-type was my Nidoking was already gone. That wasn't a fun fight.

EDIT: actually, superbird, your flying pokemon should go against my Ground pokemon sometime. we can do shoddy on the smogon server

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom