• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Ground Zero Mosque

Diz

Overdosing on placebos
People want to build an Islamic Mosque two blocks from Ground Zero.

I'm against it. The idea is completely disrespecting the memories of those who lost their lives on September 11.

Sure, the attack on the Twin Towers was initiated by Islamic radicals, but the attack on Pearl Harbor was also started by radicals (not the Islamic kind). And even though it was decades ago, there is no way someone is going to want to build a Shinto Shrine near it.

Last edited:
The mosque (which, as far as I know, would merely be a small part of a public recreational/community center) would serve only to build bridges between communities. Please explain to me how this is a bad idea. It isn't even insensitive. There are a number of churches and synagogues in the immediate area, too, you know. People need to stop equating all Muslims, peace-seeking in the same vein as Christians and Jews, with a bunch of extremists who blow shit up and get all of the attention.

This might sound harsh, but anyone who is opposed really needs to get the hell over it.

Raising a fuss over it stresses the American thought behind Islam == terrorism. A lot of terrorists are Muslim! Muslims aren't necessarily terrorists!

Plus it's two blocks down, you build where you can in NYC.

I'm of the opinion that religion is dumb, but I see the reaction as far more disrespectful to Islam than I do to 9/11 victims. Why should NYC Muslims be treated this way over something they didn't do that happened years ago?

America really makes me sick sometimes.

(can I be pissed about churches everywhere in SC? I mean Christianity has such a clean track record, right?)

_Ditto_ said:
Sure, the attack on the Twin Towers was initiated by Islamic radicals, but so was the attack on Pearl Harbor. And even though it was decades ago, there is no way someone is going to want to build a Shinto Shrine near it.
Dude this is not comparable, at all. Pearl Harbour is a military installation in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. New York City is the most populous city in the US, of course there are going to be a lot of Muslims.

If I were a Muslim I'd be pretty pissed at the radicals, because whenever they want a mosque built anywhere they probably get at least some crap like this, whether or not it's being built anywhere near something radicals tore down...

And what about the totally not-radical Muslims who had not-radical family members die on September 11? I'm sure there must've been at least one or two.

Last edited:
I really dislike America's anti-Islam crap. It's not like every Muslim takes their religion to the extreme. The fact that people lost their lives due to radical Muslims is sad and terrible, yes, but... Come on now.

(There's also a situation here in Tennessee about a mosque and a sort of recreation-place being built in one town. People don't want it to be built because they think it threatens their way of life, and some even mentioned Sharia law = =)

I'm not being anti-Muslim.

I'm just saying that it would be more respectful to the families of those who died in 9/11 if the mosque wasn't two freaking blocks from the worst attack on America in decades. It's almost like planting a victory flag on the spot.

I'm not being anti-Muslim.

I'm just saying that it would be more respectful to the families of those who died in 9/11 if the mosque wasn't two freaking blocks from the worst attack on America in decades. It's almost like planting a victory flag on the spot.
And it's New York. Have you ever been to New York? It is rather busy. And crowded. And not a lot of room to build much of anything.

Why is it disrespectful? If anything, it is a symbol of peace and harmony—which would definitely be more disrespectful to the attackers than the victims.

Stop generalizing the Islamic community, please; most Muslims see the 9/11 attackers the same way Christians see the Westboro Baptist Church.

Oh, even better example. How about an American Embassy on top of Hiroshima?

Why should NYC Muslims be treated this way over something they didn't do that happened years ago?

It's not in the least bit disrespectful to build an American Embassy on Hiroshima, it happened years ago, and we didn't do it.

People want to build an Islamic Mosque two blocks from Ground Zero.

I'm against it. The idea is completely disrespecting the memories of those who lost their lives on November 11.

Sure, the attack on the Twin Towers was initiated by Islamic radicals, but so was the attack on Pearl Harbor. And even though it was decades ago, there is no way someone is going to want to build a Shinto Shrine near it.

November eleventh, that dark day when Britny Gasteneau was born.

It's not in the least bit disrespectful to build an American Embassy on Hiroshima, it happened years ago, and we didn't do it.
You're not understanding this whole "promoting peace" thing. Building a mosque in Manhattan is not an act of dominance or revenge and you really must stop seeing it as such.

That's actually a good example of why the mosque is a good thing. You know embassies have ambassadors, right? And you know the role of an ambassador? If you did you'd realize how bad your example actually is for your case.

Dropping this stupid Islam = Terrorist bullshit- that is, actually identifying the difference between radical Muslims and sane ones- is just what this country needs to move on from 9/11.

There's also a situation here in Tennessee

You're from Tennessee too? Holla!

how could anyone possibly be opposed to this??? WORST CASE SCENARIO: the mosque is actually being built by radicals who agree with osama as sort of a fuck you thing, for a week people are pissed, then they forget about it and muslim families have another place to pray now. i mean seriously.

how could anyone possibly be opposed to this??? WORST CASE SCENARIO: the mosque is actually being built by radicals who agree with osama as sort of a fuck you thing, for a week people are pissed, then they forget about it and muslim families have another place to pray now. i mean seriously.
I dunno, man, I dunno... seems like a really bad idea to build a mosque there, if you ask me. Them American extremists gonna show up and bomb the shit outta that place, in the name of "holy war" or whatever it is they call it in their strange, guttural language. Fuck them terrorists.

Muslim teachings actually say that war is only permitted when an attack has been made on an Islamic state, in self defense or on a country which is supressing Muslims.
Essentially, violence is only permitted in cases of self defense.

Muslims are also only allowed to attack those who are being sent against them in combat. They are not allowed to harm civillians or any other armed force which poses no threat to them. In this way, Islam extremists are actually going back on their own religion, by harming innocent bystanders in terrorist attacks.

So, in all due respect, the Islamic religion preaches against violence in all cases, except in self defense. I see no problems with people wanting to build a Mosque near the sight of the 9/11 bombing sites, especially if they are following these principles.

Saying all Islamists have the idea of terrorism is like saying all Christians are Knights Templar or want to win back the holy land.

Actually, this guy is partially funded by Hamas.

Just a reason Ditto may be right.

Actually, this guy is partially funded by Hamas.

Just a reason Ditto may be right.

Source?

Also I'd like to point out that Hamas spends something like 80% of its budget on hospitals and schools, so just because it partially funds something doesn't mean that something's automatically bad and/or terrorist related. (Source.)

Last edited:
Source?

Also I'd like to point out that Hamas spends something like 80% of its budget on hospitals and schools, so just because it partially funds something doesn't mean that something's automatically bad and/or terrorist related. (Source.)

Source: Cable News.

This is an organization that has launched thousands of missiles into Israel through Palestine and Lebanon. I'm sorry, I know profiling is bad, but I refuse to ignore that Hamas has funded the killing of innocent Jews and don't want to ignore the facts. In my opinion, America gives people too much benefit of the doubt.

Back
Top Bottom