• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Tags

Furretsu

World of Glass
Something really needs to be done about them - some official clarification on how they should be treated or something. Honestly, I think it would be better if we no longer had them at all. Right now the system is a mess with conflicting opinions on how they are to be handled.

Edit: To clarify, all I really see tags doing is giving snobbish users another medium to degrade threads and people. The fact that it's completely anonymous (except to mods, some of whom are involved in this shit anyway) makes the temptation even harder to resist. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't partially guilty of this, but I realized the errors of my ways. "Failing at thread titles"? Come on, who the hell cares? You were just fine with the title "Behind the Avatar" before the tagging system. It's had that title since Fluffy/Nidokingu created the thread on the Invisionfree forums. And "wash my tags"? Seriously? Suddenly snobbery is frowned upon and every tag for a thread must be cleared as soon as possible?

Edit(2): Their use as a search tool feels like just another excuse to defend the constant degrading, sarcastic tags. Can tags really do anything that the search function can't? If you wanted to find something about Final Fantasy, couldn't you just search "final fantasy" in a post instead of searching by tag? In that case, the search function is even more useful than tagging, because it doesn't rely on users remembering to tag it correctly! In the case of vague subjects like "music"... what could a quick run through the Entertainment forum really hinder? Why would you want to search through every music-related thread ever anyway?

Last edited:
The ridiculous amount of stupidity they seem to be causing far outweighs their actual usefulness.

Not that I've ever used them anyway, so it won't bother me one way or the other if they go away.

Arguecat.png

The point is, no matter what happens, if someone is against something, an argument is going to occur. When it involves flashy forum-add-ons, then that argument is brought into the limelight, and even if the matter is settled, if someone doesn't feel it is, then that person is going to bring up the matter again. Forums are about having fun, right? Going on TCOD is meant to give you some type of self-gratification, right? In my opinion, this wasn't a problem until someone made it a problem. Then once someone stated their opinion regarding the supposed "problem," then a lot of people suddenly felt the same way.

Tags are tags. With or without them, there's still going to be a problem on this forum regardless, because no forum is perfect. Before you know it, I bet people will start complaining about the fact that every post on the forums is suddenly contributed to your post count, and thus, we'll all be in the same boat yet again. It's never going to stop, the problem is just going to change, until eventually people get fed up with it.

To me, this no longer is an argument towards the usage of tags, but an argument against the staff. They don't want silly tags, while others do, so if tags were eliminated, people are still going to find a reason to be against the staff. Someone just has to say one little thing to set another someone off, and there you have it. :P

except to mods, some of whom are involved in this shit anyway
i haven't been tagging much beyond a few things actually descriptive of content, nor have i been doing anywhere near as much with removing tags as I was a few days ago. i am sometimes capable of realizing when i've overreacted over something stupid and inane and will usually try to... not do that. although ftr i was doing rather more of complaining about tags than tagging things to bitch

i am sorry for having acted completely ridiculously and would like to return to backing away from my latest explosion until i figure out what the hell is wrong with me

I'm extremely tempted to tag this thread as "is that a fucking bear".

'Failing at thread titles' - to be fair, I did put the title as 'What do you think of...' and then that appeared in the tags. I'm sure it was some snobbish member who put it there trying to be degrading but it at least reminded me to change the title to something less ambiguous. :D See, at least some good comes out of it...

Yeah. I agree that the tag system is pointless, but at the same time, it's pointless to pay it much attention. Does anyone actually use it? I've noticed what I assume to be nice, friendly people putting real tags in there, but really... nobody actually uses it or would pay it much attention anyway. Just ignore it. The only people that seem to use it really are the type of people who can only amuse themselves that way.

wah wah if I can't run about with it bashing it around I don't want it to exist :((

what the hell is up with your tendency to act super fucking childish and then get all mature when you're taken up on it?

Cirrus said:
I'm sure it was some snobbish member who put it there trying to be degrading but it at least reminded me to change the title to something less ambiguous. :D See, at least some good comes out of it...
No, I had no hidden motives in putting it there. I put it there because I like threads to be well-titled. I gladly took it off once you gave it a good title.

confirm essentially
it let him do something dumb and then he got angry when people called him out

Edit(2): Their use as a search tool feels like just another excuse to defend the constant degrading, sarcastic tags. Can tags really do anything that the search function can't? If you wanted to find something about Final Fantasy, couldn't you just search "final fantasy" in a post instead of searching by tag? In that case, the search function is even more useful than tagging, because it doesn't rely on users remembering to tag it correctly! In the case of vague subjects like "music"... what could a quick run through the Entertainment forum really hinder? Why would you want to search through every music-related thread ever anyway?
so because you don't see the purpose of this feature it's okay to do whatever you want with it?

@Zhorken and to a lesser extent Eevee: Why do you guys like being so mean (for lack of a better word)? --; I haven't done a goddamn thing to you, yet you continue to get all condescending and call me out at every opportunity. Are you forgetting about the rule that explicity states that we're all trying to have a good time here?

And what's worse is those posts are going to go completely unnoticed by the moderation.

@Zhorken and to a lesser extent Eevee: Why do you guys like being so mean (for lack of a better word)? --; I haven't done a goddamn thing to you, yet you continue to get all condescending and call me out at every opportunity. Are you forgetting about the rule that explicity states that we're all trying to have a good time here?

And what's worse is those posts are going to go completely unnoticed by the moderation.

THEY ARE NOT ;~; WHAT

AM I NOTHING TO YOU??

Back
Top Bottom