• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

HG/SS I don't know if I'm any good~

Alxprit

The one and only.
Pronoun
he
I guess this is why I'm here. Anyway, I don't really have a team, but I have trained several Pokemon. Here they are:

LATIAS @ Soul Dew
Levitate
EV Spread: basic special sweeper stuff
Timid Nature

-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf
-Recover

Not much to say about Latias here. I don't see what's so Uber about her; she's perfectly stoppable.

Taint (PORYGON-Z) @ Choice Specs
Adaptability
Modest Nature

-Tri Attack
-Hidden Power Ground (it has like a power of 80, go me)
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam

I trained Taint to test out breeding differences between HG/SS and DPPt, so he has a pefect Speed IV. He's done pretty good so far, though I feel like more could be done to help him out. Maybe a change in moveset somewhere, eh.

Casta (SCIZOR) @ Life Orb/Leftovers (usually Life Orb)
Technician
EV Spread: basic physical sweeper stuff
Adamant Nature

-Brick Break
-Bullet Punch
-Swords Dance
-Bug Bite

I like to pair Casta with Porygon-Z, since they both have only one weakness. I can usually finish off stuff with Bullet Punch.

Cracker (TOGEKISS) @ Leftovers
Serene Grace
EV Spread: special sweeper again
Modest Nature

-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere
-Roost
-Nasty Plot

Not too remarkable, I gotta say. Basically, he tries to be like Casta but with little much to offer in new techniques. Maybe he should get Thunder Wave.

Edgar (KINGDRA) @ Life Orb (sometimes Shell Bell if Life Orb is already used)
Swift Swim
EV Spread: Predictable
Adamant Nature

-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-Hydro Pump

I love Edgar. He's a one-man army in the Frontier, but would this apply to real battling? Either way, this guy is beastly.

Kina (BRELOOM) @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
EV Spread: I need more variation
Adamant Nature (once more)

-Seed Bomb
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Spore

It takes a while to get going, but when Kina's set up there's a lot she can do. I'd use her more if there weren't a lot of weaknesses shared between the rest of my Pokemon.

JIRACHI @ Damp Rock
Serene Grace
EV Spread: I forget
Timid Nature

-Rain Dance
-Thunder
-Wish (?)
-Psychic (probably will become U-Turn soon)

I wanted to make Edgar even better, so I tried to create this work-in-progress. I can't test him at the Frontier, so there's not much I can do. Hopefully it wasn't a waste of time, but if so, lesson learned.

So, am I horrible? Better than I think? Using too many borrowed setups? Let me hear your criticisms.

I guess this is why I'm here. Anyway, I don't really have a team, but I have trained several Pokemon. Here they are:

LATIAS @ Soul Dew
Levitate
Timid Nature

-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf
-Recover

Not much to say about Latias here. I don't see what's so Uber about her; she's perfectly stoppable.

Latias was re-voted uber and Soul Dew has always been banned in OU. She's stoppable by Scarftar, yes, but not much else. There's also the whole "dragons are completely ridiculous in 4th gen" thing that got Garchomp and Salamence banned.

Taint (PORYGON-Z) @ Choice Specs
Adaptability
Modest Nature

-Tri Attack
-Hidden Power Ground (it has like a power of 80, go me)
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam

I don't like Specs-Z if only because it's fairly slow. Depends on who your audience is, really, but Porygon-Z is BL and not OU for a reason. It works, but you might be expecting a bit much out of it.

Casta (SCIZOR) @ Life Orb/Leftovers (usually Life Orb)
Technician
EV Spread: basic physical sweeper stuff
Adamant Nature

-Brick Break
-Bullet Punch
-Swords Dance
-Bug Bite

I like to pair Casta with Porygon-Z, since they both have only one weakness. I can usually finish off stuff with Bullet Punch.

Superpower is generally superior to Brick Break, though slightly less so on SD sets so this works.

Cracker (TOGEKISS) @ Leftovers
Serene Grace
EV Spread: special sweeper again
Modest Nature

-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere
-Roost
-Nasty Plot

Not too remarkable, I gotta say. Basically, he tries to be like Casta but with little much to offer in new techniques. Maybe he should get Thunder Wave.

Togekiss is slow, especially without Timid, so if you don't have any way to pass speed to it, I'd suggest replacing Nasty Plot with Thunder Wave. I'd consider trying Lum Berry, too; see what you like better.

Edgar (KINGDRA) @ Life Orb (sometimes Shell Bell if Life Orb is already used)
Swift Swim
EV Spread: Predictable
Adamant Nature

-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-Hydro Pump

I love Edgar. He's a one-man army in the Frontier, but would this apply to real battling? Either way, this guy is beastly.

It works, more or less.

Kina (BRELOOM) @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
EV Spread: I need more variation
Adamant Nature (once more)

-Seed Bomb
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Spore

It takes a while to get going, but when Kina's set up there's a lot she can do. I'd use her more if there weren't a lot of weaknesses shared between the rest of my Pokemon.

Standard Breloom is standard, but it's standard nonetheless. Breloom is often a mixed bag; the payout is quite nice if you can get a good opportunity to come in.

JIRACHI @ Damp Rock
Serene Grace
EV Spread: I forget
Timid Nature

-Rain Dance
-Thunder
-Wish (?)
-Psychic (probably will become U-Turn soon)

I wanted to make Edgar even better, so I tried to create this work-in-progress. I can't test him at the Frontier, so there's not much I can do. Hopefully it wasn't a waste of time, but if so, lesson learned.

U-Turn is probably a better choice over Psychic, yes.

So, am I horrible? Better than I think? Using too many borrowed setups? Let me hear your criticisms.

I don't see any glaring weaknesses apart from the fact that your team isn't legal. There's a lack of entry hazards, though, and you've got no way of dealing with them.

I figure Latias and Edgar are pretty much the same, except one's physical and the other's special, so I could probably just kick Latias out. I'll think about Thunder Wave, and maybe I should consider switching Porygon-Z to a Choice Scarf. Thanks for the input.

in my experiences, Breloom is better knowing Mach Punch to Focus Punch. Not too much power, but you can drop him in for a low-hp quick kill, and surprisingly he does nice damage to Blissey with that one Mach Punch.

Pory-Z is better with Timid, Life Orb, and Thunderbolt is optional, again, from my experiences. and I have to agree with Vixie here, don't expect too much out of him unless you want to use him for stallers with Tri-Attack.

Oh, and once again, from my experiences, you pretty much can't go wrong with a Weavile that looks like this:

"Insert Snazzy Name Here" (WEAVILE) @ Choice Band
Pressure
EV Spread: Attack, and Speed
Adamant Nature

-Ice Shard
-Ice Punch
-Pursuit
-Brick Break/some other move of your choice

This just destroys things. Ice Shard is for Dragon Dancers mostly, but he still KOs like everything with it in one hit. I use Pursuit when you know that they're just going to switch out on you. Good for Celebis.

I'm not trying to force on you my style, given to me by the veteran battlers here, but I like that pokemon. Destruction lies in its wake.

Weavile has lost popularity in upper-level play as a revenge killer because of its SR weakness and general inferiority to Scizor. And if he were to drop Focus Punch for Mach Punch, he may as well drop Substitute for Brick Break because Focus Punch is his good STAB there.

Just do Swords Dance once or Twice. It works for me. And, Focus Punch takes two turns, but I see you've got Substitute there, so I don't know why I'm still rambling.

Just do Swords Dance once or Twice. It works for me. And, Focus Punch takes two turns, but I see you've got Substitute there, so I don't know why I'm still rambling.
Focus Punch is actually a one-turn attack, even though it looks like two. It just always goes last.

Yeah, once Breloom gets going, it rules.

I'm liking my Porygon-Z with a Choice Scarf rather than Specs; it's working pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom