• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sherlock Club

Butterfree

Still loves Joltik, though!
Staff member
Heartache staff
Pronoun
she/her
This is a club about Sherlock, the new BBC miniseries modern-day adaptation of Sherlock Holmes. Discuss the unending adorableness of John Watson, Sherlock's amazing hand gestures, Moriarty's BARKING MADness, the evilness of the ending, and the details of every character's sexuality here.

Dannichu promised she would keep it alive, so!

Something that bugs me, by the way: did they ever explain why those people with the bomb vests in episode three, especially the second one (young guy in the middle of a crowded street) weren't noticed by anyone walking by?

ABOUT TIME THIS WAS STARTED.

I suppose the people were noticed, but the police already knew about them, so it didn't make much difference?

Also for the lulz: Lestrade's facebook, Mycroft's facebook, Sherlock's facebook and John's facebook. :D

Been watching this series, hoping the next series will be as good!

Unfortunately the end of the third episode was ruined for me because virgin media decided it was the most excellent time to skip ahead five minutes to the very last few seconds.

and the details of every character's sexuality here.
I have my eye on WatsonxMycroft.

Also, very important links:

The Science of Deduction (I would kill every last one of you for a cigarette.)
The blog of Dr. John H. Watson (capital letters are just one of society's conventions that I choose to ignore. you've just been programmed to be one of society. you're a sheep.)
Molly Hooper (Jim from IT)
Connie Prince (Please refrain from posting in capitals. Thank you.)

The person standing in the street was covered by a jacket, and I suppose people wouldn't linger around him long enough to realise there are wires or something, but the person in the car wasn't exactly hiding it. Maybe no one else looked at her long enough to care, either, but after several hours like that, the explanation falls flat >>;

Also Sherlock is asexual and no fic can convince me otherwise >:|

Yesssss. My not having the internet will not stop me from posting in such a glorious thread <3333

I absolutely cannot choose a favourite character. John is criminally adorable (I adore Martin Freeman in every little thing he's ever done), Sherlock is fantastic, but Mycroft is so wonderful, I think I'll have to go with him. I adore Mark Gatiss.

Can't pick between A Study in Pink and The Great Game as my favourite. TGG was intense and had mega!action scenes, but ASiP had them going on a date and being wonderfully adorable.

I ship the hell out of John and Sherlock. I can't help it.

The offical sites are incredible. I refreshed them an embarassing number of times between episodes. My friends and I theorised that "Jim from IT" would be Moriarty, and giggled over the possiblity when he says on Molly's site how much he enjoyed Glee, and it ruined the *dramatic reveal!* at the end a bit.

Speaking of the end (I'm assuming we don't need spoiler tags?), OMGOMGOMG THAT CLIFFHANGER AAAAAAAHHHHHH. Evil, pure evil. But we did get "you ripping my clothes off in a darkened swimming pool", and THAT MOMENT when Sherlock sees John and thinks he's Moriarty. SO GOOD. Sends my heard a-flutter every time.
And the BLINKING S.O.S. AAAAAHHHH. (here if you haven't noticed/had it pointed out).

Series 2 has been confirmed! What do YOU want to see? I think they're doing Hound of the Baskervilles, which makes me very excited. We need more Lestrade and co., I think. And Mrs Hudson. I love all the supporting cast, really <3

(I apologise prefusely for the incoherence of this post)

Tbh I sorta wanna see a comeback of werewolf!vampire!Sherlock. But I also hope we don't see that. ... But I really do. ; ; I'm so torn. There are a lot of things from the pilot I want to see; drunk Sherlock and John realizing what's going wrong, for example.

As for actual stories - I'd love to see Irene Adler, and possibly have that relationship be more developed than in the novels (also going further into Sherlock's asexuality :D :D :D because he totally is). And I'd love to see more of Sherlock's tendency to disguise himself; his acting (like with the widowed woman in TGG) is excellent and so amusing but I love when he actually disguises himself, like as the security guard, omg. So epic. I want to see that.

Let me make it clearer: I want to see this. |D

I really hated the ending. I mean, really. Don't end a three-episode series with a contrived cliffhanger, wtf.

I loved it up until that point, though. :D I love Lestrade! And Anderson, even though he lowers the IQ of the whole street.

I suppose the people were noticed, but the police already knew about them, so it didn't make much difference?
But if that was the case, why was the first thing Sherlock asked them after solving the mysteries always an urgent "Where are you?"? Hardly necessary if the police already knew about them. Further, the police could then have tried to catch the sniper instead of relying on Sherlock solving the puzzle.

The person standing in the street was covered by a jacket, and I suppose people wouldn't linger around him long enough to realise there are wires or something
Mm, I don't know. Thing is, he was completely hysterical - if I were walking on the street and saw somebody looking that distraught talking on the phone, I would definitely at least briefly stop to listen to what he's talking about.

Sherlock is totally asexual. So is Moriarty, because he's too BARKING MAD to feel anything recognizable as romantic attraction. I like my asexuals.

Can't pick between A Study in Pink and The Great Game as my favourite. TGG was intense and had mega!action scenes, but ASiP had them going on a date and being wonderfully adorable.
Yeah, same. Both have bits that are amazing; I think overall I liked the plot of A Study in Pink better (The Great Game was a bit of a patchwork of mini-plots and really hard to follow when you're not a native English speaker and have no subtitles to follow along with Sherlock's insanely fast speeches), but The Great Game seems to go out of its way to press all my instalove buttons, what with featuring a bunch of people fearing desperately for their lives, one of them being Watson, and that bit where Watson collapses on the ground after the bomb vest is off which is waaaay up there with my favorite scenes in anything ever. Also Moriarty. I like Moriarty. He's so BARKING MAD.

The Blind Banker wasn't as good what with being really awkwardly Yellow Peril-ish (and including the silly plot point of Watson randomly leaving Soo Lin behind just so she could get murdered in the background), but it did have Watson being threatened with a gun, and I really enjoyed the setup of all the "Watson is Holmes" details that came together in that bit, so.

Speaking of the end (I'm assuming we don't need spoiler tags?), OMGOMGOMG THAT CLIFFHANGER AAAAAAAHHHHHH. Evil, pure evil. But we did get "you ripping my clothes off in a darkened swimming pool", and THAT MOMENT when Sherlock sees John and thinks he's Moriarty. SO GOOD. Sends my heard a-flutter every time.
Ditto to all that.

And the BLINKING S.O.S. AAAAAHHHH. (here if you haven't noticed/had it pointed out).
OHGOD WHAT I NEVER NOTICED THAT. THAT IS AMAZING. IT DESERVES PERMACAPS. AAAAAAAAAA <3

Hound of the Baskervilles would probably be fun! Though it does suffer from the disadvantage of being the only Sherlock Holmes story I've actually read (lame, I know), which might mean making it predictable, I guess? Not that I know how much that hurts with this adaptation exactly. Otherwise, I'd love to see more of Lestrade as well. Also, Watson needs to get captured and threatened more. (Well, I suppose more isn't exactly necessary what with it happening in two out of three episodes so far, but they should definitely keep up the trend.)

Tbh I sorta wanna see a comeback of werewolf!vampire!Sherlock. But I also hope we don't see that. ... But I really do. ; ; I'm so torn. There are a lot of things from the pilot I want to see; drunk Sherlock and John realizing what's going wrong, for example.
What? Is this is the unaired pilot I heard was on the DVD? o.o

Sherlock disguising himself as a woman would be amazing. Benedict Cumberbatch could totally pull it off.

What? Is this is the unaired pilot I heard was on the DVD? o.o

Sherlock disguising himself as a woman would be amazing. Benedict Cumberbatch could totally pull it off.

tumblr_l6yqmrmg6I1qa3mn1o1_400.jpg

Yep. And yeah, the scene was in the unaired pilot, which you should definitely see.

Also: Shirlock Road, and so wrong but so good.

Aaaaah, if you haven't read A Study in Scarlet, you totally should. It's short and easy to read, and the references/updating that the writers do/make are wonderful. "It's a three-patch problem" and such are strokes of genius.

You should get the DVD, Butterfree; not only does it have the much-needed subtitles (I'm a native English speaker and I find it hard to keep up with Cumberbatch, who clearly doesn't need to breathe), plus the unaired pilot, which, while not as good as A Study in Pink, is still great and a lovely point of comparison, and has werewolf!Sherlock and beardy!Anderson and Drunk!Sherlock and lots of other wonderful moments.
And the audiocommentaries (Moffat, Gatiss and Sue Vertue on ASiP, and Cumberbatch, Moffat and Freeman on TGG) are wonderful. One word: "Marshmallooooooow..." XD

I'd love to see Irene, too, and I keep thinking about who I want them to cast to play the role. They really should get an actual American actress - Moffat already proved with Jekyll that he can write damn good shows, but fails horribly at casting people who are supposed to be American. I'd like it if she was older, and possibly not-white? She'd better be awesome, though - I'm fond of Molly and Mrs Hudson, but they are a bit on the doormatty side.

I'd really love to see more dressup!Sherlock, too. I watched a bunch of classic Holmes films and TV episodes with some friends, and Rathbone's Sherlock in particular, does dress up all the time and it's fantastic. There's one especially great scene in, I think, Sherlock Holmes and the Pearl of Death, where Watson is trying to pull the beard off the poor postman, convinced that he's Holmes in disguise XD

Speaking of - of all the incarnations of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson I've seen (and I've seen a fair few), the BBC version is the only one where I like Watson as much (if not possibly more!) than Holmes. In nearly all the other versions (with the exception of the 2009 Guy Ritchie film, which I enjoyed as a film, but not as a Sherlock Holmes adaptation), Watson is bumbling, useless, unlikable, mean or all of the above. I spent the entirety of The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (which is a wonderful film with a fantastic Holmes) wanting to kick him :/

tl;dr: Martin Freeman and his Watson are adorable and wonderful and I want to hug him. <3

Heee, I love those pic/macros. I have far, far too many Sherlock pictures saved, but I can't stop collecting more <333

Last edited:
Dannichu, please recommend more movies. ; ; I'm downloading those you've mentioned so far. I might just google Sherlock-movies or something. Hrr.

Anyhow, an actual American Irene would be good, yes. >>; Or someone who can do an actual American accent. I don't know why it's so difficult to do. And maybe, yes, someone who isn't so white, haha.

... D'you really like Watson more than Sherlock? As much as I love Martin and John, I can't love him more than Sherlock. I just love Sherlock's sociopathy and over-the-top craziness and it's so, so good. I always do love the crazy characters, though. |D

Oh guys you can vote for Sherlock for best show over here. I don't know what the prize is but, uh, whatever. I voted. :v

EDIT: Oh god.

synq4p.jpg

And Sherlock x The Dark Knight. :D

EDIT: Yep. More.

Last edited:
Aaaaaah the OC remix is SO GOOD. I love her pictures very much, and I've not seen that one :D

As recommended by Steven and Mark in the audiocommentary, the film Sherlock Holmes and the Spider Woman is a good classic-Holmes film - it's black and white, and only an hour long, but it's really good and features Basil Rathbone as Holmes, who is regarded by many to be the definitive Holmes. The DVD (which is cheap on Play.com) comes with Sherlock Holmes and the Pearl of Death, which is also a fun film. And there's lots of dressup!Sherlock, so it's all good.

I don't think I can choose between Sherlock and John. I love them both completely, for different reasons, but most of all, you can't have on without the other, they just become so, so excellent together. It's just that I usually like the Holmes, but this is the first time I've also adored Watson, so I'm revelling in Watson!love for once. Or something :p

Also! Breaking news - STEPHEN FRY IS PLAYING MYCROFT IN THE NEXT RDJ/JUDE LAW FILM. I am utterly torn between loving the "Stephen Fry + big screen + Sherlock Holmes = only good things" mathematical equation, and quietly raging at him for not being in the BBc version, dammit! He could have been actual!Moriarty! Or anyone, I don't mind! He could be Irene! Which would be hilarious beyond words, but sort of ruin the shows serious side forever, and not really do anything about the show's admittedly doormatty women so far. But still.

I miss the blogs being updated ): I wonder if they'll start up again with series 2, because the blog updates and things happened in real-time in reference to the show?

My contribution to wacky Sherlock fanart. There are more coming, in a series of an unholy crossover I've dubbed Anderson's Adventures in Wonderland XD

Guh, I found a barely-downloadable torrent of Sherlock Holmes and the Spider Woman. Hopefully I'll get it. :[ If not I'll go buy it.

Also I am squeeing with you about Stephen Fry. |D I wasn't so sure I'd see the second RDJ Sherlock movie but - oh god. Perfect casting is perfect. And Stephen Fry as Irene would be total lulz. Maybe uh, he could be her bf/hubbie dressing up or something, haha. Oh god I'm just a bit too excited about him being Mycroft...

Your cheshire cat is too cute. ; ; Ahaha. Molly is so creepy I wish she had been Moriarty... ah well, the real Moriarty is creepy in his own right. Plus he likes Glee. So he's awesome by default.

More linkage. I found this quite interesting.

WHY HAVEN'T I JOINED THIS

omg I love Sherlock so bloody much! I'd go as far to say that it's the best current BBC TV series.

Ahaha, that article is wonderful :D I want Sherloc's coat. Except I am, in every way (except perhaps the hair) the opposite of Benedict and it would look terrible, but still. Cooooaaaat <3
John's jumpers are far too adorable. I love that he wears his black-and-white stripey top in once scene for about a minute and he's wearing it in every other piece of fanart. It's just too cute not to :D
I adore Sherlock's dressing gown. Especially when he's being all pouty-girlfriend on the sofa. Eee.

This might just be my favourite thing to come out of the Sherlock fandom so far. I've printed it off and it's on my food cupboard in the kitchen and I just stare at it and giggle while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil. PSYCHOSOMATIC LIME.

I agree that casting Stephen for Mycroft is utterly perfect. Especially if he puts on the weight (or has costume/special effects/whoever does that sort of thing make it look like he has) again.

I like actual Moriarty, too. I quite like the BBC trend of stir-crazy villians, though (see: Jekyll, Dr. Who, etc.), while others are not so impressed. I think there might end up being a Man Behind the Man, though, with a second series (and hopefully more!) around the corner. I wonder how they'll pick up next season? Six months later with flashbacks? Mycroft and/or Lestrade busting in and saving the day?

It's my favourite thing on telly at the moment, too. I don't have a TV at uni, so I don't watch a lot of TV while it's actually airing, but as far as I'm concerned, only Dr Who comes close.

Omg. "Short but surprisingly strong" I died. "There's lipstick on the glass but don't wipe it off or your mouth will look too small" oh god. That is just... too awesome. Way too awesome.

Stephen actually did look a bit heavier in the most recent QI and I was wondering why, haha.

I really hope there isn't a Man Behind the Man :[ Those are lame. I hope Moriarty is the top (... ehe) and yeah, he's just badass and stuff. Because. He's cool. But I try not to think about what's going to happen; I trust Moffat and Gatiss, really.

Since Sherlock isn't showing right now it isn't exactly my favourite show on tv at the moment, haha. But it is one of my favourite shows - along with Glee and Dexter, which is high praise for a show, for me. Doctor Who would come closer if it didn't have so many episodes that just fell short, which is annoying for a show with only 12 episodes a season. :\

Hee, the brilliance of the Sherlock fandom never ceases to amaze me. I'm thrilled at how active it still is, given how long it's been since it finished airing. I wonder if it'll keep up momentum till next year? I realized the other day that I'll have graduated by the time S2 airs and that scared the living hell out of me.

I'm not sure what I want to happen with Moriarty. I want some kind of cool explanation for all the lasers at the end - he was so careful about not revealing his identity, and then presumably he was in the room with six or seven snipers? I think you're right, we have to just trust the Moff and the Gat.

One of the exciting things about Sherlock is it's just about the only show I've ever watched on TV; just about everything else I wait till hte DVD comes out, but after watching A Study in Pink on a whim, I was hooked. Usually I can't watch things from week-to-week because I forget, but I found myself wishing away Saturday so Sunday - and, with it, new Sherlock - would come faster. I think it was Sue Perkins who said in a tweet "When did my Sundays suddenly consist of me rocking back and forth in my chair, waiting for the next episode of Sherlock?". Hee.

I've been rereading some of my favourite Sherlock stories/reading some ones I've been meaning to for the first time, and in A Scandal in Bohemia (which is the Irene Adler case - and also features the line "I am lost without my Boswell" <3) there's this scene which just made me squee over just how phenomenally true to ACD's characters the BBC version was:

"I have been far too busy to think of food, and I am likely to be busier still this evening. By the way, Doctor, I shall want your co-operation."
"I shall be delighted."
"You don't mind breaking the law?"
"Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
"Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
"Then, I am your man."
"I was sure that I might rely on you."

I read this in their voices :D

Oh my some lovely new linkage. :D

Olol Moriarty; Non-BBC Holmes but with pokemon[/url]; Grenada Mycroft + pokemon; Watson + pokemon and BBC Sherlock + Pokemon. There's more in their gallery too. |D Lots of slash.

Anyhow. Fandom tends to stay pretty active even while shows aren't airing, it's just a matter of how much you stay in the fandom; usually I fall out of it until the shows start up again.

Hm, I haven't watched a show on TV since I sent mine down to my mother's room... and even then all I used it for was the NatGeo channel. >>; But I do watch everything almost-live, that is, on the day it comes out, rather than waiting til the DVD is out. I mark a show being good by different things... How much it pulls me in, which I suppose is the same thing. Sherlock having only 3 episodes is actually a rather genius marketing ploy.

It's really hard for me to read any of the dialogue in the novels in their voices, it's just such a different style, so aged. It's actually easier when you quote it, haha. But there's like - walls of speech, like entire pages of it, and it's very hard for me to see that, it's not something I'm used to at all, so I don't manage to ignore my ... awkwardness and just read, I guess. :\ But it's really fascinating, comparing the style to something like Fight Club (read excerpt here) where the narrator's speech isn't surrounded by quotation marks at all, there is barely any speech to speak of for that matter - the style is just the polar opposite. Hm. It's just interesting, I think.

I've been hearing so much about this show and I'd really like to see it. Does it come on BBC America? If so anyone have an idea when? I don't have a computer where I can watch stuff.

If not grrr stupid BBC peoples.....

Back
Top Bottom