• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Death Penalty

Drifloon Rocks

Honey, please don't eat the rancid dung.
Depending on where you live, the death penalty may be legal or not. If it is legal, do you think it should stay that way, or if not, do you think it should be?

Personally, I do not think that the death penalty is at all appropriate. No matter what a person has done, they don't deserve to have their life taken away. Life in prison suits just fine. Jut because someone has killed thousands of people, doesn't mean that they should be killed.

Part of me says if they've done a really horrible crime, they should be killed, but part of me doesn't like anything dying unless it can't be stopped.

So persuade me :P

Death=life

Without the death penalty, we'd just be feeding criminal instead of giving the food to people who deserve it. It's a sad and silly truth, but I'd rather live eating, or at least knowing others are being fed then people who kill other people.

Anyway, do you know how much money goes into jailing in the US, that could be going to a better place?

Although, if this world had unlimited resources, then to hell with the penalty, but it's not. Thus, why waste resources to keep killers alive?

I believe the issue you failed to address is not that it's a punishment, but rather a way to protect others. If you put them in prison, they can still kill other prisoners and guards. It's still a punishment, of course, but not first and foremost. First and foremost, it's a way to protect others from a dangerous individual.

Yeah, plus the fact that some prisoners lead lives in prison much better than some people outside.
For example, they have digital: that's one thing better than my life.
Pointless amounts of cash are being spent to adhere to a prisoner's human rights, whilst those desrving the death penalty have blatantly ignored another's human rights.
"An eye for an eye" which is one of only Bible quotes that make sense...

"Some people that live deserve to die. Some people that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

If you put them in prison, they can still kill other prisoners and guards.

Not if you put them in a good prison with actual security.

True, I think that prisoners get too many luxuries. But the amount of money being put toward jailing isn't even close to the amount being put toward more important things such as governments, road upkeep, etc. Either way, taking a life shouldn't be right, no matter what the circumstances. "An eye for an eye" is only one phrase of the whole Bible. If you're going to quote and follow one part of the Bible, then what the rest says should be important too.

A life is a life, no matter how corrupted it is. Yes, prisoners have plenty of entertainment and leisure activities that they don't need at all. They need to not give prisoners things that hey don't need to live. They should put criminals in prison for life, not take their life.

If they're just killed, then they have no opportunity to suffer for their actions. They should have to spend the rest of their life in prison and utter boredom instead of being killed.

why do you want someone to suffer, what good is that going to do you or the survivors of the crime

punishment is meant for the criminal to adjust to society not to just randomly cause pain, if we wanted criminals to suffer we could just bring back torture methods

Killing another human being is wrong no matter how you try to defend it.

I understand that it costs a lot of money to keep a prisoner fed and alive. However, that money is necessary to remain human beings.

"An eye for an eye" is only one phrase of the whole Bible. If you're going to quote and follow one part of the Bible, then what the rest says should be important too.

Seconded.

The death penalty is possibly the biggest form of hypocrisy that any enforcer of law can use to tame the public; it's all right for us to kill people, but not for you. Not to mention the fact that I don't want my government to stoop to the level of the murderers they're trying to prevent.

The death penalty is possibly the biggest form of hypocrisy that any enforcer of law can use to tame the public; it's all right for us to kill people, but not for you. Not to mention the fact that I don't want my government to stoop to the level of the murderers they're trying to prevent.

So your saying that when a thief steals money, he shouldn't have give back that same amount, because that would be hypocrisy?

Well damn, I'm going to go off and steal to my hears content.

No.

We as humans need to survive. If we let the murderers and whatever live to kill again, we're doing a shitty job of it. Just think of the death penalty as another form of natural selection. We kill what shouldn't pass on it's genes. Because for all we know, the person going to the death penalty has some mental deformity caused by his or her DNA, which could easily be reproduced.

Sure, there are tons of reason why the death penalty should be voided. But I don't think those reasons are worth anything when your own survival is a risk. If someone came at you with a knife, and you had a gun, I'm betting you would shot the guy before he or she stabbed you. The death penalty is just that. Self defense.

Obviously, Dragon_night, you haven't thought this through.

How the hell is a person going to kill someone if they are in prison for life. How are thy going to reproduce to spread their "deformity."

Wow, it seems that sending someone to prison for life without parole has the same effects as killing them, but you don't have to kill anyone! :O

As someone had said before, they can always kill the people in jail. Those who don't deserve the death penalty will be killed of by those who do.

And they can always escape, or find some huge some of money to get them out.

They're better off dead.

No matter how efficient the justice system is, you can never be truly, one hundred percent sure that the person convicted is guilty and that alone is more than enough reason to abolish the death penalty. This isn't just hypothetical: innocent people have been executed in the past. And this is meant to be justice? The death penalty is one of the most barbaric practices still in use in the world, and no amount of justification is going to change that.

As someone had said before, they can always kill the people in jail. Those who don't deserve the death penalty will be killed of by those who do.

holy crap stop being stupid. just because someone is a murderer does not mean they want to kill everyone in sight.

So your saying that when a thief steals money, he shouldn't have give back that same amount, because that would be hypocrisy?

Well damn, I'm going to go off and steal to my hears content.

Killing someone because they've killed someone does not bring back the life of the first person, sorry to say. It just ends up with two people dead instead of one.

We as humans need to survive. If we let the murderers and whatever live to kill again, we're doing a shitty job of it. Just think of the death penalty as another form of natural selection. We kill what shouldn't pass on it's genes. Because for all we know, the person going to the death penalty has some mental deformity caused by his or her DNA, which could easily be reproduced.

Because if they're locked up for their entire life in a cell with no women, they're totally going to, like, split in two or something.

Oh, and I'd like to see some evidence that all murderers are genetically wired to be murderers before you start spouting Eugenics about it. "For all we know," murderers simply choose consciously to kill, thus rendering your choice of genocide useless.

Sure, there are tons of reason why the death penalty should be voided. But I don't think those reasons are worth anything when your own survival is a risk. If someone came at you with a knife, and you had a gun, I'm betting you would shot the guy before he or she stabbed you. The death penalty is just that. Self defense.

... What? Killing someone who has the means to kill you would be called self defence. Killing someone who has no means to kill you is called murder. Oh, and the latter is the situation of people who are kept in prison and then killed through the death penalty.

They're better off dead.

Stop posting

They're better off dead.

Two words: Solitary Confinement

And besides, you could always say "oh noez they can escap"

Lock them in a jail cell? They might escape!

Lock them in a jail cell with no contact with any human beings? They might escape!

Lock them in a solid steel cube, with 20 foot thick walls? They might develop heat vision, melt through the steel, and escape!

But in reality, as long as prison guards are doing there job, there isn't a way for the prisoner to escape.

Stop posting

Again, seconded.

Back
Top Bottom