• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Collaborative Writing?

Chaon

<<< awesome avi by blazheirio889
Hey guys!

I know that artists do collaborations a lot, and I was kind of wondering if it would be possible with writing. I thought about it for a while before realizing that roleplaying was practically what it was, but what I'm asking requires a lot more commitment than roleplaying.

Essentially, the idea is that we all write our own characters, just like a roleplay, but unlike a lot of roleplays, WE WILL FINISH THIS ONE. Then at the end, I will edit all the parts together, and we will have a collaborative story.

Comment if you're interested, and if not, please explain LOGICALLY why. We don't need any flame wars on our hands here.

Science Fiction: 1
Fantasy: 1

Last edited:
So you're saying that, basically, we all take one character and write a chapter for them like a story? Hmm. I've never done roleplaying before—I'll think about it.

Everyone would figure it out together once we know who's interested. We'd brainstorm together about just about everything.

Seems like fun, for some people! I see a lot of fanfic writers doing it, for sure.

I wouldn't, because

A) I'm too flaky
B) Other people are too flaky
C) I'm not happy enough about things I write, let alone others'
D) It's very difficult to write one-character-at-a-time per chapter. It just ends in others having to godmode your character around in their chapters ad that always ends up inevitably annoying people

I'm in if this happens. I don't really mind having others take over my character in their chapters as long as I get my chapter of control X3

Probably the events should go in sequence; We assign an order of who writes which chapters. Then, the first person writes their chapter. Then, after reading the chapter, the next person writes theirs, in a pattern that people can mess around with others' characters—The writers each have to go with the flow. But first, we have to get a set cast of characters.

Yeah, and we need to know the basic plot and everything. But Chaon said that we'd all work that out once we had enough people join. Is he going to make a group or a thread in the writer's lounge or what?

Well, this IS the thread. We ARE in the writer's lounge. If need to update anything, I'll edit it into the first post.

We really don't need too many people for this, because even 3 people writing 30 chapters is more than 1 person writing 30 chapters, and I'd be happy with 3 other people. If we have like 10 people, setting up a turn system is going to be a pain, so I'd say no more than 4 plus me. That being said, can I assume that Superbird and Cloudsong are both in, or are you guys still debating?

I'll try. Just make sure to "pleasantly" remind me to get off my ass and write every so often. (The sting of giving up NaNoWriMo in the first week still stings.)

Looks like the idea is getting going. We now have have four participants:
1. Superbird
2. Cloudsong
3. Eloi
4. Ketsu

Now, as Eloi mentioned, we need to start with what genre we're going to be writing. I would have no problem with science fiction, but I tend to lean towards fantasy. What do you guys want to write? There will be a vote edited into the first post.

Both Sci-Fi and Fantasy are my favorite genres (and the ones I tend to write), so I'm fine with either of those.

Fine with anything. Oh, and why don't we start a group, just to condense the discussion about plot and stuff and organize it?

It could be both sci-fi and fantasy maybe? Having elements of both? And I second the idea of making a group xD

I will make a group, and I guess we could take elements from both genres. We'll discuss this in the group lounge.

Back
Top Bottom