• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

If the whole world were atheist...

i think better in some ways, such as no more religois war, but people NEED the hope beliveing in a big guy in the sky gives them.

The whole world becoming antiest would be a cosmically huge social shift. What do you mean by 'become athiest', anyway? People would just suddenly stop believing in God? What about spiritualists? What about people who don't beleive in God but still celebrate Christmas or even attend religious services? What about countries whose laws are based in religion? You can't suddenly make a county's laws not applicable.

If we're talking about a slow, gradual shift towards athiesm, like which is happening in Europe, then not a lot changes, for better or worse. People find things with which to replace their religious beliefs (it's my inner Durkheimian speaking, but people need shared rituals and purposeful gatherings with groups of others - concerts and music festivals are anthropologically very similar to religious festivals, complete with shared experiences, idol worship, etc.), so they do and not a lot changes. Same as any social shift.

Well, all the problems religious warfare and the like you guys like to spout, but the Holy Roman Church /did/ unify Europe like nothing ever could.

There'd be no Westboro Baptist Church (hell yes), and I think we'd be a little more tolerant towards homosexuality and other controversial topics.

Well, all the problems religious warfare and the like you guys like to spout, but the Holy Roman Church /did/ unify Europe like nothing ever could.
yes, but then the Reformation happened and Europe was torn in half by rival Christian groups.

sakura said:
but people NEED the hope beliveing in a big guy in the sky gives them.

Please do not generalise so ridiculously like this. God doesn't give me hope. The idea of God actually makes me really sad and frustrated. People don't 'need' to be religious to have hope in anything, and I think most non-religious people find hope in other things (like themselves). Isn't this altogether much more healthy, to base your hope on something that you actually know for sure without a questionable doubt is real?

I believe that if the whole world were atheist that we'd be a lot further technologically. There were centuries where scientific progress was stunted, and one reason was the Church's feelings toward science.

If not for the Dark Ages, we'd be colonizing space right now. There was a span of 800 years where learning just stopped. Think of what was accomplished in the short timespan that was the Renaissance, and what could have been if that had happened centuries earlier.

If the whole world were Atheist, the roles would be reversed and there would be a small amount of Christians being discriminated upon by the larger group, instead of vice versa.

If not for the Dark Ages, we'd be colonizing space right now. There was a span of 800 years where learning just stopped. Think of what was accomplished in the short timespan that was the Renaissance, and what could have been if that had happened centuries earlier.

In Europe. Science advanced along merrily in the Middle East and in China. Indeed, the Enlightenment was caused in part by the influx of texts from the Arab world.

If the whole world were Atheist, the roles would be reversed and there would be a small amount of Christians being discriminated upon by the larger group, instead of vice versa.

But then the whole world wouldn't be atheist if there were Christians...

I doubt the whole world would ever have a single religion. Society refuses to allow it.

But we aren't talking about everyone having a single religion. We're talking about no one having a religion.

Back
Top Bottom