• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pronoun identity

Butterfree

Still loves Joltik, though!
Staff member
Heartache staff
Pronoun
she/her
The gender field in your profile is now called "Preferred Pronoun". You can select "Any", "He", "She", "It" or enter any quirky made-up pronoun you want in a text field. You can do so here.

Currently, that text field will simply be set to whatever you had chosen in the old gender field; to make a selection from the drop-down instead, you need to erase the text field value to signify you're not actually using the text field anymore.

Please don't use this for silly jokes. Or at least, if you do, don't get offended if everybody proceeds to use silly jokes like "s/h/it" when they actually need to refer to you in the third person.

You're my favouritest admin, Butterfree! (For the purposes of this comment opal and Negrek aren't admins.)

I am curious as to how many people will put "any" and actually mean it.
*prepares to start using non-English and/or nonsensical pronouns to refer to Kratos*

"Preferred Pronoun" is kind of long and ugly in the postbit... could you maybe make it just "Pronoun" with a little explanation of what it is in the user profile area where you have to set it?

I am entirely serious, Zoltea. (And you, Negrek. Do your worst! You're only going to confuse other people anyway, so be my guest.)

EDIT: Re: "preferred pronoun": Or just say "Call Me:" ? And presumably change "any" to "anything" or "any pronoun/gender" or something? Meh, that doesn't actually help.

Eh, I think "pronoun" works. It probably gets the point across, especially since members get the full explanation of the field when they register.

I'm going to be super literal with this, and actually use the words 'any' and 'neg' as pronouns for the corresponding members.

"Kratos Aurion? Yeah, I guess any is pretty cool."

Thank you! I had the "Call me 'it'" up for lack of a better option, but "it" isn't actually my preference and that kind of implies that I'd rather be called that instead of a gender when "any" is really more accurate.

Similar to Kratos' pronoun, would be fun to see someone choose their pronoun as "they".

Why fun? This is something that should be able to be normal. If someone wants to be called "they", isn't it fine? You're kind of coming across as considering this to be a joke when it's actually a thing; if you're thinking it's not a serious pronoun, stop thinking that. "Any" isn't a joke either. (If you take it seriously, great! Keep doing what you're doing.)

I'm going to be super literal with this, and actually use the words 'any' and 'neg' as pronouns for the corresponding members.

"Kratos Aurion? Yeah, I guess any is pretty cool."

I... guess you can do this if you want as long as it doesn't bother anyone, but isn't that kind of more trouble than it's worth? It will stop working once you need more forms. If you can make it work, though, well, more power to you? More pronoun options are never a bad thing.

I am curious as to how many people will put "any" and actually mean it.

I do! I'm fine with he, she, or they. Weird pronouns (vis? eir? xie?) are fine, just strange to see because they're not used frequently enough!

Well, "it" is kind of weird, but "any except 'it'" is a little silly when most people won't actually use it, and it's not... upsetting or anything, just weird.

So people can pick one and keep it, or switch between posts, or whatever. Or avoid using a pronoun if they want to.

Also! It's neat to be able to say "any", in general, and I want that option in real life. How come even people who are okay with trans aren't okay with swapping pronouns? Why do I have to pick? It isn't an important detail about me, it's just a thing to say when you're talking, and I'm happiest when I'm not stuck as one pronoun set. Gender doesn't have to be sticky!

Last edited:
:D this is great! I'll... probably keep using 'she' but thankyou :D

Hiikaru ♥;461939 said:
I do! I'm fine with he, she, or they. Weird pronouns (vis? eir? xie?) are fine, just strange to see because they're not used frequently enough!

Well, "it" is kind of weird, but "any except 'it'" is a little silly when most people won't actually use it, and it's not... upsetting or anything, just weird.

So people can pick one and keep it, or switch between posts, or whatever. Or avoid using a pronoun if they want to.

Also! It's neat to be able to say "any", in general, and I want that option in real life. How come even people who are okay with trans aren't okay with swapping pronouns? Why do I have to pick? It isn't an important detail about me, it's just a thing to say when you're talking, and I'm happiest when I'm not stuck as one pronoun set. Gender doesn't have to be sticky!

High five, then!

I won't be able to take "any" seriously until I know the reasoning behind it, :S
I know they is used plenty to refer to people, I just thought it'd be silly if "they" was someone's preferred pronoun.

I'll respond to he, she, sie/se and hir, or zie/ze and hir, but I almost always use "he" so that's what I have listed. Also it always throws me off when people use "they" as ambiguous or neutral gender; I only think of it as singular for unknown. :c So I'm like "who else do you-- oh wait no only the one person, only Hiikaru" whenever Vixie does that.

EDIT: Also this is even better than what I suggested. /o/

Last edited:
I think whenever I'm talking about Kratos (not to) I'm going to switch his pronouns every time. I think she'd appreciate that. Or maybe it wouldn't, who knows? I still think she would.

No. You have an excuse to speak in third person when you're talking about other people, which I hope you were doing already anyway.

Back
Top Bottom