• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

5 Word Writing Contest Competition Spectacular-o-thon II

Bombsii

IM ON THE ROAD ON THE ROAD TO VIRIDIAN CITYYYY~
FIRST CONTEST ENDS ON 5TH MAY

Here are the rules:
  • All entries should be posted within this thread.
  • Your entry MUST include all 5 of the specified words listed below.
  • You must use the exact words provided without deviating.
  • The 5 specific words to your entry should be highlighted in italics.
  • Must be under 500 words.

The Current 5 Words are:
  • Satsuma
  • Romantics
  • Amphibian
  • Doppelgänger
  • Blackout

Entries:
Glace, Opaltiger, Arylett Dawnsborough, Saint Walker & Black Titress
The winning entry shall be the one I deem most interesting & creative!
ANYONE can join in, soooo have fun & get writing or whatevz x

Last edited:
EDIT:
Sorry, someone asked me if anyone could join, and yush, to clarify literally anyone can join in, you don't have to be part of a group or anything :D

The morning birds chirped while an amphibian known as Drey awoke from his deep slumber. Teary-eyed, the oily frog crawled over to its eating area, its throat enlarging whenever inhaling a large breath. A Satsuma awaited him there; Drey miraculously retrieved it from a large tree inhabiting the backyard of a human who happened to live near his location. Claiming this peculiar citrus was of no challenge due to the fact that the owner of the yard had experienced a blackout while Drey completed the capture of the odd fruit.

During his luscious breakfast, the wife of the amphibian roused as well. Their history had gone far back into previous times, when both were soft romantics, secretly seeing each other against their parents’ wills. Eventually the duo bonded through mating, which resulted in their son, who, at this time, is a complete doppelgänger of his loquacious father. Because the Satsuma was rather bulky, the family allocated their own respective pieces, alleviating Drey since he was not aspiring to finish the banquet himself.

Hopping off of the lily pad, the son bathed himself in the translucent stream, directing himself away from infinitesimal rapids that could possibly harm his fragile skin. The mother performed her usual daytime chores; she swept the sultry mud off of the leaves, moistened dry areas, and assured that the makeshift ropes were durable enough to halt their home from traveling afar.

While the other two relatives were executing their daily routines, the eldest of the frogs journeyed to the lawn of his choice in hope of another discovery of a succulent citrus fruit, whether it is a Satsuma or something else. Illuminated a house was, so Drey guessed the blackout prior to that morning had been repaired. The frog often received strange glances when he received his meals from various areas; it was not the natural diet of an amphibian, much less a frog.

And so, though much time passed before he returned, the father frog returned to his home, where he and his family ate their fruit in peace. Different things, they were.

Length: 347 Words

((I haven't written in forever. So if it sucks, you know why T-T Oh, and I only italicized each word once, even if they were repeated in the story. Hope that's acceptable.))

((It's awesomeeee Glace, thanks for entering!))
(((Just wish more people would enter if i'm completely honest)))

D:

(It probably sucks and makes no sense, but oh well, here we go!)

The day was long and lonely, the gray clouds standing still in the sky ready to weep their sadness. They blocked out all light… all hope… Agent Dopplegänger sighed.

Ever since the Blackout, he wasn't even sure if he could call it day anymore.

The world had never seen darker days. Everywhere he went, every country he travelled, he saw the same depressed frown. The one that lacked as much sunshine as the sky itself did. He had wandered all of the earth only to come back to here, the old hideout of the Romantics. Where he would never stop dwelling about the day that had happened… and the day she had died…

He thought back to when he had taken the great mission…

The Romantics used to be a renowned organization of Secret Agents, where he had met the greatest person he would ever know. They called themselves that because they were not just secret agents, but secret agents with PASSION. They did their missions with much romance in their hearts, and valor in their souls. Never would the Romantics stoop to the depths that most other organizations had, for they were too honourable…

Then that amphibian came. One of them, anyway. For the leader of the organization had always had a fond liking of amphibians and quite a vast collection of these pets… he sought the rarest of the rare: the steel-toed salamander. He had searched his entire life for it, and here it was, being offered by a somewhat shady group who wanted them to initiate Operation Blackout to temporarily blackout the sun supposedly because of the many droughts it had caused.

Although conflicted at first, the boss couldn't resist his intense desire for that amphibian, and agreed to do it. He had chosen Agent Dopplegänger, who at the time was experienced and well-known for his successful impersonations of others. And also, he chose… her. Dopplegänger wished he hadn't, maybe she'd still be here today. But it happened, all right.

As Dopplegänger had made an impersonation of Siehe, the God of the Sun, she was to imprison the true God. However, the God had proven too powerful for her, and dragged her into the room where he found Dopplegänger impersonating him. Sidhe became so angry that he had burned her body right in Dopplegänger's eyes and in his anger, Dopplegänger shot him in revenge. The God died... and then the leader of the shady group appeared.

The leader turned out to be his sister, Lahie, the Goddess of the Moon, who had always been jealous of the sun. However, she only wanted him temporarily out of commission, not killed. She wept over her brother's death and from that day on, refused to bring out the moon ever again. The sky had always been lonely, with nothing for company but empty clouds.

He exhaled deeply. The shadow of those old days had always followed him in the form of those damned clouds.

"I miss you, Satsuma…"

Length: 498 Words

Last edited:
"Satsuma," Leo said.

Harry slid two cards across the table and tapped his glass for a refill before looking up. "Jesus, Leo, you been taking advice from Gwyneth Paltrow? Fucker wouldn't survive two months with 'satsuma'." He chewed thoughtfully on his cigar. "'Sides, too sour, satsumas. Your bet, by the way."

Leo grunted, glanced from his cards to his chips, then tossed two onto the pile between them. "You asked for advice, I'm just doing my best."

"Yeah, well, God knows what made me think that was a good idea. Raise you fifty." Harry's cigar had gone out, and he put it down irritably. "Makes you wish for the red terror, don't it?"

"What?"

"Maybe we were all communists, Castro would share his fucking cigars. Not doing him any good, are they? Filthy habit."

Leo stared across the table. "The Romantics," he said abruptly.

Harry barked out a laugh. "Keats was a fucking pussy and Shelley's wife wrote circles around him. Think of the fucking precedent that would set." He took a sip from his glass and flicked a chip into the centre of the table. "Call."

"Flush in hearts."

"Fuck. Why do I let you play poker with me?"

"Amphibian," Leo said sagely, gathering up the cards and starting to shuffle the deck.

"Remind me, how's that fucking working out for me?" He picked up his hand, glanced at it. "Amphibians give me the creeps."

Leo sighed. "You're a hard man to please, you know that? One," he added, sliding a card carefully aside.

"'S why I'm sitting here having this fucking problem. Three."

Leo dealt out the cards, then looked up thoughtfully. "Doppelgänger?"

Harry paused midway through restacking his chips. "Weird historical shit there. Good thought, though." He tossed in the ante.

Leo smiled beatifically and pushed his collected chips forward. "All in. And I've got it. Blackout."

Harry stared at him in mute horror. "Fuck. Fold. God have mercy on your kid, Leo."

The smile grew wider. "You swear a lot when you bluff. He's your kid too."

Harry glared at him. "Deal again."

357 words.

Thank you Opaal :3
I remember the one you entered last time was good also.

EDIT: Made a entry list up the top, ya know, so it's easier for me.

It had been a long time since Satsuma had entered the Doppelgänger. In fact it had been a long time since she had gone anywhere. Ever since the night of her street’s blackout, she was afraid of what would happen.

Her parents were shot that night. The whole thing had been a set up by a group of burglars who were trying to rob it. She could still remember the Amphibian masks that they wore. Her mother was killed and her dad was still in the hospital.

She had finally decided to take the advice from her friends and go clubbing with them. She clearly remembered what her good friend Teresa had told her.

“Your dad isn’t going to recover if he’s always worrying about you,”

So here she was. She was standing inside with the music pounding. She was wearing a sparkling blue dress that her friends had helped pick up for her. She was trying to enjoy herself, but her mind was still worried that the same frog-faced robbers would decide to crash the place.

After a while, Satsuma had decided that she needed the washroom, but she really just wanted to get away for a few minutes.
On her way across the floor, she dropped her black purse by accident. She bent over to pick it up and came nose to nose with a guy in a black jacket.

“Oh!” She gasped in surprise. The both stood up straight and the boy handed her the bag.

“Is this yours?” He asked politely. She nodded quietly as she took back her purse.

“Th-thank you…” She mumbled. The boy smiled again as he saw her face.

“Has anyone told you how beautiful your eyes are?” He flirted.

Satsuma couldn’t help but blush. Normally, she wasn’t into romantics normally, but there was something different about him...

“Name’s Keith, by the way,” He stated.

“I-I’m Satsuma…” She replied.

“Like the Japanese province, right?”

Satsuma was rather shocked at the statement. No one else she had talked to knew about her name’s origin. It was obvious there was more to Keith than it appeared.

He gave her another charming smile.

“Here, let me get you a drink…” They ended up talking for several hours. They had a lot in common. Books, movies… They both loved fireflies… They were perfect for each other.

He walked her home at the end of the night, since her friends were smart enough to leave them alone.

“So, where do you live again?” He asked kindly. Her back stiffened a little. The street name still hurt to say.

“A-A-Almond Street…” She whispered, tears draining from her eyes.

Keith lifted her face by the chin. “You lost someone special there, didn’t you?” All she could do was nod. Without another word, she locked her in a tender embrace.

“There, there… It’s amazing you’re so strong after that,” She looked up at him with a teary face and smiled.

“I am now,” And she returned the hug.

Words: 500

QUESTION: If I do something in script format, would the speaker's name before each line count toward the word count?

[Scene: Study of a house, finely decorated. Center stage, a couch with a coffee table in front of it. There is a tray with various citrus fruit, among them satsumas. ROBERT sits on center of couch, satsuma in hand. Enter JEREMY from left, wearing red tie. ROBERT continues to eat through the conversation.]

Jeremy
Hey Rob, what did you do with all the knives? I turned the whole kitchen upside-down, can't fine any of 'em.

Robert
Should be one upstairs, under my pillow.

Jeremy
No, I checked.

Robert
Well, that's creepy. But, ah! Here's one, I'd been cutting up fruit with it. [picks up a small paring knife from the tray, hands to J] Here ya go.

Jeremy
Thanks. [Exit right.]

[A brief pause as ROBERT continues to silently eat the satsumas. Enter JEREMY from left, wearing black tie.]

Jeremy
Rob, have you seen me come through here? [ROBERT looks up, confused. JEREMY takes no notice.]

Robert
'the hell did you get over there?

Jeremy
I walked.

Robert
Well no shit-- I mean, you just walked out there, I heard you shut the door!

Jeremy
I went that way then, great. Thanks. [Goes to leave, R turns and stops him.]

Robert
Hold on a minute, tell me how you got over there first. [R grabs another satsuma, having finished the first.]

Jeremy
It'd take too long. Fussy romantics, pedantic realists, things getting out of hand, you know. 'Sides, you seem a bit preoccupied with your oranges there. Wouldn't want to spoil your midnight snack.

Robert
They aren't oranges, they're satsumas.

Jeremy
What difference does it make?

Robert
Apples and oranges, my friend! Er, no, wrong figure of speech... [pauses, thinking hard] Newts and salamanders? No, newts are salamanders. Aren't they?

Jeremy
I'm pretty sure they are. What have amphibians got to do with this, anyway?

Robert
Just as much as romantics, I hope. [A crash is heard above.]

Jeremy
Shit, I did come through here. Stop eating the fucking oranges--

Robert
[interrupting] Satsumas.

Jeremy
What the fuck ever, stop eating and come on, I think I'm trying to kill Marie.

Robert
[Rising.] What?

Jeremy
[Walking with R toward right.] Like I said, it'd take too long, but I've got a doppelgänger now, and I think I've just run off to kill Marie! No time to explain, let's just get upstairs!
[Blackout.]
Shit, how'd he get from Marie's room to the breaker room? I'm not entirely sure where that is! [Sound of J falling to floor. Lights go back up. Red tied Jeremy stands behind the couch, blood spattered on suit, looking triumphant. R is on floor left stage, gaping in horror.]

Robert
You killed him! He was you and you killed him!

Jeremy
The hell are you talking about, Rob?

Robert
You've just sliced Jeremy's neck clean open!

Jeremy
That was the doppelgänger, you fucking twit. I don't own any black ties, they look downright awful. [Walking to R, knife in hand] Here's your knife back. I need a drink. [Exit right. Curtain.

Word count: 499, not counting the characters' names before each line.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom