• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Odd HM Slaves?

Eta Carinae

I really loved that farm.
So as I was playing my Platinum today I realized that of all my Pokemon, my Groudon knew Cut, Rock Smash, and Strength, and my Kyogre knew Surf and Waterfall (as well as Dive on Emerald before I migrated it). So I'll pose the question, are their any Pokemon besides the classic Bibarel, Linoone, etc. that you use for HMs?

Also ironically enough, according to some guide I read at one point, the best R/S/E HM slaves to use are technically Tropius and Sharpedo. Tropius for Flash, Fly, Rock Smash, and Cut, and Sharpedo for Surf, Dive, Waterfall, and Strength. I used both of these Pokemon on my team in Emerald, and I'm relatively sure that the only HM they knew was my Tropius's Fly.

I never really use HM slaves much. I just teach the HM moves to Pokémon on my regular team, erasing the really crappy ones (Cut, Flash, Rock Smash, Whirlpool) as soon as I get the chance and usually keeping the rest around for the whole game (especially Surf and Fly.)

I think I did have a Mew with Surf, Strength, Fly, and something else (either another HM move, Transform, Psychic... can't remember which) all the way back in the R/B/Y days, though. It was Gamesharked, since nobody knew about the "Mew trick" back then and I was never able to get to any of the giveaway events, but still.

Wingull/Pelipper are good. They can learn Surf and Fly, and those (in my experience) are the most frequently used ones, so it's nice to have those all on one Pokémon.

G-G-G-G-GOLURK
623000.gif

Knows fly, rock smash & strength. Pretty chill.

G-G-G-G-GOLURK
623000.gif

Knows fly, rock smash & strength. Pretty chill.

I am disgusted that such an awesome Pokemon would be used for such a meager task (on that note, I actually need to catch a Golurk :/ )

Just realized that on that aforementioned Platinum game my Infernape knows Rock Climb. I feel like SomeGuy now.

I am disgusted that such an awesome Pokemon would be used for such a meager task (on that note, I actually need to catch a Golurk :/ )

Just realized that on that aforementioned Platinum game my Infernape knows Rock Climb. I feel like SomeGuy now.

To be fair Golurk is probably the coolest Fly slave you could possibly have.

I see all this HM stuff from an unusual point of view and the ones of my Pokémon with HM moves get the strongest because I almost always carry them with me.
My starter always knows Cut.
Sometimes, however, the strangest thing is the feelings I have towards the Pokémon:
In Gold, the one with Fly was Crobat (Yes, that Crobat). In Sapphire, the first Water-type I caught was a Marill, so I made it my universal Water HM guy. One day I realized that I had to get an Azurill because of the Pokédex. My Azumarill was male, so I had to catch a female Marill. And... You know, I tend to release my Pokémon when I have more Pokémon of a family that has only one available final stage (available to me, and in Gold, this unavailability includes the ones which require using elemental stones that I have already used on someone else) and in these situations, I keep the baby. The Azurill already knew two of the three HM moves when he hatched. When he evolved into Marill, I went to the Move Relearner to make him remember Rollout, the only one of his father's moves that wasn't a HM. Later, I used the third Water HM on him. I think I had feelings of guilt for releasing one of my most important Pokémon, so there was an emotional side to making him know the same four moves.
There is another interesting fact related to my Sapphire version. Yes, I know it's because there are three Water HMs in RSE and two in DPP and it's reversed with th rock-related ones. But in Sapphire, my Aggron knows both Strength and Rock Smash, and in Diamond, the one with three HMs is Graveler while Buizel has two.

Last edited:
Blastoise said:
Tropius would like to have a word with you but is too busy flying me around and ending both world hunger and scurvy.

agreed; there are few things more badass than flying around on a diplodocus and eating fruit whenever you feel like it.

I tend to just use whatever's on my team for HMs until I can erase them later.

I used a Mew as one but then I realised there aren't move deleters in Gen 1

Back
Top Bottom