• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Purpose of Living?

Eloi

I am extremely open to all theistic and atheistic viewpoints if there can be a convincing argument for a 'why' to continue to living under that worldview. And when I say a 'why' I don't mean just "a purpose given by X" but I am interested also in hearing irreligious 'whys' like "you should live to experience X, Y, and Z" and such.

Right now I am an agnostic nihilist that thinks life will only get worse or be bad in the foreseeable future without any answer to the question "Why should I continue living?" so anything to supersede my current worldview would be extremely appreciated.

So, thanks and en garde! :D

Purpose of living, is it?

If someone says to you, "Why?", then no matter what you reply, that person can always ask again, "Why?", like an irritating child - and, in an instant, your answer is obliterated. Trying to solve the mysteries of life by answering the question "Why?" is like trying to cut the heads off the Hydra: the more you do it, the more there is left for you to deal with. It is futile.

If you are looking for meaning, then you might as well stop looking now. You will not find it, because what you are looking for is so non-existent that it cannot even exist in dreams. Even if there is an afterlife, a wonderful Paradise awaiting you after you die, that Paradise would not be meaningful. What would you do there? Live forever? Be happy for all eternity? But why?

Or perhaps you would claim that the purpose of life is simply to be happy (but why?), to reproduce (but why?), to create something beautiful to leave behind after you die (but why?), to love (but why?) - the list is endless and disappointing. In the end, "meaning" is impossible to define; we search for it out of instinct, but the truth is that we have no idea what it is that we want to find. We cannot even describe it hypothetically. It literally cannot exist.

There is only response that can rival the question "Why?"; only one that is not immediately destroyed by it.

That response is "Why not?"

Lots of religious people are really confused about atheists be because they're like "aaa how can you feel like there's a point to anything if you're just going to stop existing someday." So they wonder things like, why would an atheist write a book? Someday they will stop existing and the book will not matter. Or like, why would they learn to dance? Someday they will not exist and so dancing will not exist for them.

So one thing is that that's why a lot of people like to leave something behind. Like, even if they stop existing, their kids will keep existing, and their name in a history book will keep existing, and the people talking about how awesome they were will keep existing.

Only, that doesn't totally work either, because why do you care about other things existing if you're not going to exist anymore?

So the other thing is that you do exist right now, and if all goes well you're going to keep existing for a pretty long time. So, you could go "oh, well, I'm going to stop existing one day, so I guess I won't learn to ride a bike." But that's a long time of existing without being able to ride a bike. Like, let's say a person can learn to ride a bike when they're ten. If they live to be like seventy, which is pretty good, they lived for sixty years with no bike. And that time is going to be pretty sad because they like biking.

Or like, I'm planning to write books regardless of whether or not the afterlife is a thing, because writing makes me happy now. Right now I exist, and I'm basically incapable of going "well I'm going to stop existing someday so I guess I'll just be miserable for a really long time." Being miserable sucks and you can't just let yourself be miserable forever so you do things to change that even if one day those things will go away for you.

It's similar to people who go "well, I am never going to sing professionally, so I will not take singing classes." Well, no, maybe you won't be a professional singer, but isn't having fun singing pretty excellent? If it's more fun when you know how, that seems like a pretty good deal even if people don't throw money at you for it. I don't expect to get any money or anything from writing web pages or Flash games, but it's enjoyable right now, so why not? Or like, lots of people don't expect to get money from watching television or playing video games, but they do that anyway, because they like it. You could say "well, you can learn things from tv!" or "but I'm accomplishing something in my video game, look, I got a new highscore!" and that's great for you, only, you'd still do it even if you couldn't learn or get a better score, because it's fun.

You'll notice this, too, in media where someone's about to die. They want to go skydiving, and scuba diving, and they want to confess their undying love to the person they like... and no one watching these scenes thinks it's strange, because it isn't strange! It's basically human nature to want to enjoy yourself even if you're going to die or even if you're not going to get any money. These people aren't going "aaa I have to skydive quick so I can get into the afterlife", they're just having fun.

Things don't have to get you any tangible benefit to be worth doing! You can sing because it's enjoyable rather than because you're getting payed, you can run to feel the wind in your hair rather than to lose weight, you can read a book because it's really good rather than because it teaches you something. And you can be a good person and try your best because it feels good and it makes others feel good rather than because the afterlife will be nicer if you do.

I tend to subscribe to the idea that the point of life is to do your best, because that's what feels the best to do. And it feels good even if I don't get money or a good afterlife from it.

I'm going to be around way too long to not try my best, and to not do things that make me or others happy when I can, so it seems better if I do those things.

I think some other people give life some other purposes, like "leave your mark on the world" or "make God happy so that eternity won't be in a scary fire place", but I don't like those ones as much.

Trying your best is pretty much always a good thing, and you should do it regardless of whether or not God or a potential employer is looking over your back and regardless of whether or not you'll exist forever.

Seriously, I don't get why there are essays written here.

Purpose of life? Whatever the hell you want it to be.

@Hiikaru: Well that makes sense, and seems to be a pretty good worldview, I just...I don't know, I'm not sure *how* to have fun now. What's some fun things I can do?

@... :I suppose thats a compelling argument, but death sounds like sleeping forever. And I enjoy sleeping more than living at the moment. Actually, that's precisely my argument. "No emotions > bad emotions" or more mathematically "0 emotions > -1 emotions".

@Grimdour: I don't really know how to make up my own meaning of life though, so that's not a very helpful "answer".

If you yourself are looking for purpose, no one can answer that for you; you have to find it yourself. That's why it can be whatever you want it to be, because it's personal.

Some people see it as living day to day, others see it as a rat race, some turn to religion or love. I'm not saying "go find it yourself", it's a matter of "you'll see it when it's there". No one and nothing will outright tell you what the purpose of your life is gonna be, it's just going to appear in front of you and it's your call whether to take it or choose another.

I myself choose my purpose in life to be "chasing my passion". Which is theatre, in any shape or form. I'm still not sure where I'll be in the business, hell, I might even end up in wrestling. But that's what keeps me going everyday.

So look yourself in the mirror and ask: What do you live for?

@Music Dragon: Okay, let me rephrase: Give me a reason why life is more desirable than death.
Objectively speaking, it isn't, because there is no such thing as "objectively desirable". There's no "real reason" why you should live. There's also no reason why you should die. Life and death are equals in meaninglessness; you can't justify choosing one over the other.

There is such a thing as "subjectively desirable", however. I assume you desire life more than you desire death, because you haven't killed yourself. The reason for this is that you are human, and humans find it hard to kill themselves. Usually. So yeah, there's your reason.

In the end, Eloi, people live not because there is some excellent argument as to why they should, not because it is a logically sound choice, but because... well, just because.

If your life sucks right now and you're in existential despair, contemplating suicide, then I suggest talking to friends and family, maybe trying psychotherapy or something, instead of taking your own life. It's not more rational than killing yourself. It doesn't make more sense. But do it anyway. Are you going to ask me "Why?"

@Music Dragon: Okay, let me rephrase: Give me a reason why life is more desirable than death.

Because life is interesting and I would find death to be terribly boring. Also, it would do nothing for my skin.

There is such a thing as "subjectively desirable", however. I assume you desire life more than you desire death, because you haven't killed yourself. The reason for this is that you are human, and humans find it hard to kill themselves. Usually. So yeah, there's your reason.

Thats kind of like saying I have a desire to eat over not eating because I haven't stopped eating, and not because its difficult to stop while acknowledging it is. The only reason I haven't is because killing myself is hard to do.

If your life sucks right now and you're in existential despair, contemplating suicide, then I suggest talking to friends and family, maybe trying psychotherapy or something, instead of taking your own life. It's not more rational than killing yourself. It doesn't make more sense.\
[...]
So look yourself in the mirror and ask: What do you live for?

I suppose I live for the reason that its easier, because I can be lazy and not be active in killing myself, but instead be passive in living. I suppose that makes sense.

So you're saying you have no passion? Nothing in this whole wide world stirs your mind or piques your interest? At all?

So you're saying you have no passion? Nothing in this whole wide world stirs your mind or piques your interest? At all?

Hmm...well, inequality (esp. sexism) pisses me off, so I am going to use my frothing rage to turn it into positive activism to make other people's lives better! :D

Thats kind of like saying I have a desire to eat over not eating because I haven't stopped eating, and not because its difficult to stop while acknowledging it is.
... I can't really work out what you're saying here, but in any case, yeah, it's exactly like eating; you don't eat because you have a really good, logical reason to, but because you feel that you want to eat. Same thing with life.

There's no way for you to make the world more awesome anytime in the future if you're dead.

why are people saying death is boring? how can you possibly feel bored if you're dead i don't..

life is pretty boring too not gonna lie. go to school, eat a crappy burger, surf the internet.

There's no way for you to make the world more awesome anytime in the future if you're dead.

That's a good point, and I'm going to stay alive until I expire by forces that aren't me.

However, I am interested in hearing what everybody's meaning of life is though. -stands aside as spectator-

I like to think of happiness as the emotionalization of purpose. There is purpose in happiness, and there is happiness in purpose. They are perfectly interchangeable terms in my mind.

So going by this, purpose is not anything tangible or calculable in any way; it's an emotion like all the rest, and it's there because we feel it. It's different for everyone, depending on what makes each of us happy.

And that's exactly why another "why" is unnecessary. There are things that make each and every person happy; the only purpose is to follow those things and get as much out of them as possible.

The End.

Why wouldn't you want to be alive? There's so many things to do, places to go... why would you ever want to get rid of all of that? Death is nothing. Yeah, you won't be sad or bored or anything like that, but you also won't be happy or content or having fun, you'll cease to exist forever and ever, and I think that's a sad thing.

Back
Top Bottom