• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

General Competitive Inquiries Thread

Spatz

Egahds, I've been gone a long while!
Because we need a thread for me people to post questions regarding competitive battling without littering the sub-forum.

Experts would be nice to answer these questions.

The forum's not nearly busy enough for it to be 'littering' and given how often the server sobs in the corner, it's probably better to have decently-titled threads for questions.

About the ability Sheer Force: It prevents secondary effects in exchange for darastically raising the move's power, right? Is recoil considered one of these effects?

here are all the moves affected by Sheer Force. (for future reference)

Air Slash, Body Slam, Blaze Kick, Blizzard, Crunch, Crush Claw, Earth Power, Extrasensory, Fire Blast, Fire Fang, Fire Punch, Flamethrower, Flare Blitz, Flash Cannon, Focus Blast, Force Palm, Heat Wave, Ice Beam, Ice Fang, Ice Punch, Iron Head, Iron Tail, Lava Plume, Poison Jab, Psychic, Relic Song, Rock Climb, Rock Slide, Scald, Secret Power, Signal Beam, Sludge Bomb, Thunder, Thunder Fang, Thunderbolt, Thunderpunch, Tri Attack, Waterfall, & Zen Headbutt.

So it looks like only moves that can reduce stats, have flinch factor, or can burn/poison/freeze/paralyze or induce sleep.

Since Smogon doesn't have generation 5 yet, I've been wondering: is Thundurus considered uber?

Has anyone found practical purpose for Technician Breloom yet? Just wondering.

It's quite popular, actually. Bullet Seed gets an amazing boost and it is now its move of choice. Technician STAB Mach Punch is also amazing. With Technician it can hit incredibly hard and with priority, too, OHKOing or 2HKOing even sturdy physical walls or Pokemon that resist its moves.

So I had this really crazy idea the other day, and I was wondering if it was stupid.

94.png

Adamant/Lonely 252 Att 252 Spe 4 Hp @ Focus Sash W/Levitate
Destiny Bond
Explosion
Shadow Ball
Brick Break/Sucker Punch/Ice Punch

So, this is a suicide Gengar Lead. What happens is either you spam Destiny Bond until you faint, or explode in their face. Usually. If they lead with Azelf, their first move is likely to be Stealth Rock, in which case you would Shadow Ball that thing away. Lonely if you don't want to decrease your Sp. attack, which is still higher than your attack stat. Naughty is also a nice option becaause the only priority moves that will get you are Shadow Sneak and Ice Shard, and they're not too entirely common on other leads, so you can get away with making a little chip at your Sp. Defense. The last slot you can play with a little, because Sucker Punch might be neat if you run into an attacking lead that's weak to you, but Brick Break and Ice Punch would round out your possible need for coverage more.

So what do you guys think? is it dumb?

I don't really like the idea of Explosion on a gengar. It really doesn't have the physical prowess to deal with it. Other than that, though...it looks like it'd work quite well.

Destiny Bond is fine, but Explosion and the physical moves will not work, since Gengar has a paltry base 65 attack. You're much better off running Timid with Focus Blast instead of Brick Break (despite its fail accuracy). If you're dead set to have this as a lead (even though the lead metagame is pretty much dead in 5th gen due to being able to see opponents' teams), an interesting option to consider is Icy Wind, which will slow down faster leads and net a kill on the next turn, bypassing any Sashes. Azelf and Aerodactyl come to mind here.

Nitpicks: Bullet Punch can still get you, and one of those from Scizor will decimate Gengar. Relocate the EVs to sp. atk, since that's the attacking stat Gengar should use. Also, use Destiny Bond wisely - if you just spam it, you run the risk of an opponent not attacking and catching on your game, then using that opportunity to set up.

Hate to be off topic but, wasn't it said that this thread wasn't needed?

And yet now it's being used, imagine that...

It'd still make more sense to have people make threads for their questions.

yeah, like that gengar thing i just posted. I was going to make a new thread for it, but decided against it because i didn't need numerous complete scans for it. I was just wondering if i was dumb.

I like this thread.

Back
Top Bottom