• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Backwards Mafia [D7]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
September 1st, 2011

Can't sleep. I know I should--there will be no opportunity once my mind is no longer my own. No matter how I try to set it aside, however, the knowledge of what is to come is too much.

So here I sit, watching the late-night news, waiting for some tidbit, some inkling of what has begun. There's nothing, though, nothing besides the usual low-grade evil that simmers in any city such as this. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. A business as gruesome as this is one they'll want to keep hushed up. It's probably for the best.

The phone has rung twice already. I didn't bother to pick it up. Some part of me is still in denial, still holding onto the hope that nothing strange is happening after all. If I pick up the receiver and hear their request, there will be no going back.

They'll call again in the morning. I can prop up my false hope until then. There is nothing I could do at this point, anyway. For now, I wait and watch with grainy eyes and pretend that life is no more than sweetly dull.

Night Zero has begun. You have forty-eight hours for night actions.

By this point everyone should have received their role PM. If you did not, please let me know. Good luck to all of you!

Last edited:
Re: Backwards Mafia [N0]

September 3rd, 2011

Inspector Bittern grows impatient.

"Bodies," was the first thing she said when she came in this morning. "Where the hell are all my bodies? How am I supposed to catch those bastards if they don't
kill anybody?"

This made the newer recruits nervous, but the rest of us took it as was intended. It is a credit to the chief that he keeps Bittern on despite her eccentricities. She looks madder than ever at times like these, when she rants and rakes her fingers through her hair until it is all stuck up in clumps, but her mind is as sharp as ever.

Not that, as she so eloquently pointed out, it does much good when we have so little evidence. I could give her no comfort when she asked me if I had translated "that demon graffiti" that appeared last night; the going is slow, and so far nothing I have uncovered is out of the ordinary--the usual wardings and promises of punishment upon those who meddle in the organization's affairs. It is odd that it should appear without a corpse, of course, but shell casings were found nearby. "Forensics hasn't found jack shit. No blood, no nothing. And nobody saw anything, naturally." Naturally. "A botched operation, maybe, or one that they managed to clean up before we got there. Not that they usually have any problem leaving bits of their work strewn all over."

So the inspector seethes and paces, consumed with anxiety but unable to act. For my part, the lack of deaths is as much a relief as it is a conundrum. My mind is not so clouded as it might be, without the screams of the newly-damned to echo through its halls. It makes untangling the mess of scrawlings left in the organization's wake that much simpler. For now, I can do naught but sit and sift through photos, trying to tease a story from the tangles of gibberish their mad priests have been so kind as to leave us.

No one has died. Forty-eight hours for discussion.

Additionally, there were a couple of rules questions that came up during the night that I thought I would address:

1. Doctors may not heal themselves.
2. If you die during the night, I will inform you of your death--if you've become a ghost, you'll know.

Re: Backwards Mafia [D1]

Well, that's rather unfortunate. Seems like the Mafia sent in a night kill but it didn't go through for protection or alien activation reasons. You'd think this was fortunate but now we have absolutely nothing to go off! How bothersome.

Well, is anyone willing to roleclaim and give any sort of information? (No, of course not, it's Day 1 Tailsy, and every time you try that you end up dead the next day @_@ INCOMPETENCE)

It's always fortunate that the mafia didn't kill someone....surskitty.

surskitty? Really? Going "WELL IT IS UNFORTUNATE THAT NOBODY DIED" seems rather excessively obvious to me; I doubt a real mafia member would say that. I would say she's probably an alien trying to get lynched, but it seems kind of excessively obvious even for that. (Still wouldn't bet on it, though. The deadline put on alien wins might tempt an alien to make a bigger effort to be suspicious than otherwise.)

I don't know. Phantom seems to be jumping the gun a bit, but that, too, doesn't seem like something a real mafia would do. Eh. Anybody else got anything?

It's always fortunate that the mafia didn't kill someone....surskitty.

Why would the mafia want to call attention to themselves by being disappointed that there were no deaths, though? People do have time to think before they post, and that seems like an obvious enough thing that they could easily avoid it; I don't find mentioning that to be indicative of any alignment.

I guess it's true that nobody dying means that we won't really have anything to go on until more people post and we have things to discuss. We don't have absolutely nothing to talk about, though; I'd kind of like to think about the backwards mechanic a little. I was thinking that it seems it'd actually be harmful to the town for the exorcist to use their action unless a mafia member died during the night; wouldn't exorcising a ghost otherwise just mean that the town loses someone who could still be helpful in discussion, or are there situations where it would be helpful for the exorcist to act?

Last edited:

It's painfully obvious and is a perfectly valid observation (one I'm pretty sure has been made several times before by plenty of non-mafia players in other games... myself included, iirc). Mafia is a game of information. If no one dies, no one gets any information—the best you get is a bit of alien paranoia or possible confirmation that a doctor is still alive, and this early in the game that doesn't help anyone. Of course everyone wants the members of their faction to survive, but in a game where no one dies your only shot at finding mafia is usually taking randlynch stabs in the dark. It's no fun when games are reduced to that.

How about this. I am the inspector. I inspected surskitty last night and got mafia. There was no kill last night and it's a good sized game, so even if you think I'm lying it won't effect the game that much. So here we go, we lynch surskitty and if we get mafia the doctor heals me tonight (prays for no healer clash), so I can keep doing my job.

Early/slightly nervous of dying again (I've died in like all my games in one fell swoop and swooping is bad.) roleclaim.

Actually you could lynch me too and when I come up innocent you know surskitty is mafia, but that would be stupid....

LYNCH surskitty

EDIT: WAS UBER NINJA'D. I left the post open way too long....

Yeah the whole first post thing was me not wanting to roleclaim but being psyched that I got a mafia on the first run...

GAH BUT ME BRAIN HAS HAD A TOTAL COLLAPSE...

No kill, I get mafia inspection... I am not so sure to lynch so quick now.... take back that vote please... I am worried about active alien here...

Last edited:

Actually you could lynch me too and when I come up innocent you know surskitty is mafia, but that would be stupid....

Alternatively, assuming this isn't a fake!claim, surskitty could be alien, which means lynching her might be a bad idea.

I'd prefer to abstain for now, just in case. Inspect her again after a few days (assuming she hasn't been exorcised) and see if she turns up innocent.

EDIT: And I get edit-ninja'd. Well now my point is moot, but still abstaining.

There has been a lot of editing going on here already--you're not going to get in trouble for it unless you significantly alter what you were saying, but please try to keep it to the minimum in order to reduce confusion. Just make another post to redact an earlier statement or try to say something a different way, etc.

For the record I edit a lot because, I can't type to save my life.

EDIT: SEE?

I am trying to get us something to work off of. This game is full of mafia veterans so there must be a simple way to figure things out. Or all the veterans are mafia, which would be mean.

posting for activity

Well clearly we're not getting anywhere without any more information, but it's better to not kill anyone than kill an innocent, I guess. So I'm going to abstain.

Hmm. Well, I'm not exactly sure what to do. There's no vig, apparently, so I suppose if surskitty isn't dead tomorrow we know to lynch her. Abstain.

Hmm. Well, I'm not exactly sure what to do. There's no vig, apparently, so I suppose if surskitty isn't dead tomorrow we know to lynch her. Abstain.

NO we do NOT lynch surskitty tomorrw

Her reasoning there is that if surskitty is not dead, it's because the mafia didn't kill her. If the mafia didn't kill her, it's likely that they wanted to keep her alive because she herself is mafia and they're not going to take out a teammate (and doctors certainly won't want to target her, because a) why protect a mafioso/alien and b) they could be attempting to protect you or someone else). Since the mafia would presumably want to kill an alien, if surskitty is not dead then it is most likely that she is in fact mafia and is safe to lynch. (That's not a guarantee, of course, but is more likely than not.)

So as much as I dislike abstaining, on a day as dead as this I don't think we have a choice. Just remember that we only have limited abstains, guys.

Abstaining.

... Am I forgetting something incredibly crucial? I probably am; I'm getting tired and that's usually when I forget important things.

If surskitty is an active alien the mafia would want to kill her to prevent an alien win. So then she would die, and once she'd dead we lynch her as an exorcism. Correct?

Fine, I will join the abstain only to go along with the flow of things. But I still request a heal or guard or something so I don't end up dead kthanx.

September 5th, 2011

Progress continues to be slow. Inspector Bittern grows more impatient, and her restlessness has infected the rest of the team. It doesn't help that there are others in the department starting to question the legitimacy of the investigation in the first place. I can't blame them. In a happier life, I too would find this business of chasing after some occult fear-mongering ludicrous.

Instead, I wonder which of the people on the street are real and which no more than hallucinations--or worse, entirely real but revealed to me alone. Once, I scoffed at superstition and conspiracy, and as a result I have been trapped forever in its dark web. I can only pray that I will not be drawn even deeper by my own madness, and so far, I have been lucky. I fear it will not remain so if the murders renew.

No one has died. There may be up to two more abstain votes before randlynching will begin.

Forty-eight hours for night actions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom