• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Secretkeepers

Hiikaru

Run.
Pronoun
he
Only join if you're planning to play!!

That is to say, if you don't like talking or submitting your night action, there are plenty of other games for you, so leave this one out of your schedule. Even if you don't have a role, you still need to play.

Hi! I wrote up a bunch of roles more than a year ago and was never really confident enough to actually post a game, but I've spent a while tinkering with things and I guess now's a good a time as any to try this out! Most of the roles have really weird stuff going on with them, and some might be secretly overpowered or way too weak, but I'm planning to see how things go and then make new games fixing the problems in the old ones. Also, all the roles are secret, although there will be some hints.

Story

Once upon a time, there was a small town full of people with various mysterious abilities and secrets. These people were perfectly happy to live in their secretive mysterious ways, ignoring each other in favor of protecting their own mysteries. But then one day someone snapped. The town woke up to find the body of one of the townsfolk grotesquely mutilated in the center of town, eir secrets exposed to the world. Some of the people sided with the one they came to call the Attacker, seeing just how terrible some of these secrets were, but the rest were disgusted. They realized that their secrets were now in jeopardy as well and formed their own mysterious teams in order to protect themselves. After many bitter, bloody fights, the Attacker whisked his trusted Lieutenant into the night to commit their murderous deeds in secret. The Secretkeepers found themselves unable to recognize any of the others as they had been ignoring each other for so long, and after so many years of keeping secrets, no one wanted to reveal themselves. Thus a new battle began. In secret.

Heart Pieces

Because the town is so secretive, sharing secrets became kind of a currency among the villagers. However, as this became more common, some people found themselves unable to buy anything, unwilling to divulge any of their precious secrets. The issue was raised during a town meeting, and most people agreed that it wasn't a very fair currency with secrets being such a precious commodity. To represent the secrets, the town created tiny heart-shaped pieces of glass to spend on the things they needed instead. Hearts, they decided, were perfect for representing secrets, as the people who shared their secrets were sharing a part of themselves, practically wearing their hearts on their sleeves. And now they kept them in their wallets instead.

Heart pieces are awarded every time someone submits a night action (if you don't have one or choose not to use it, you can instead send a PM during the night to pick up your heart piece), and every day, everyone will be able to participate in an activity that allows them to potentially win a heart piece. Sometimes you'll gain or lose heart pieces during the night, and you won't know why. If you collect enough heart pieces, there are a few things you can do with them (you must privately message the GM to use one of these options).

You can choose to forgo your night action and steal one heart piece from someone instead.

• 1+: Give away any number of heart pieces to one person per phase.
  • 2: Double your vote that day.
  • 3: Secretly vote.
  • 12: Frame someone as either innocent or mafia to an inspector. Fades away after an inspection occurs.
  • 14: Set someone's alignment to show as either innocent or mafia upon death. Fades away if the person is ever revived.
  • 15: Bring someone back to life.
  • 15: Keep yourself from getting lynched, but you must use it the night before.
  • 20: Purchase a temporary shield to keep yourself from dying that night. One per customer.

If you have any suggestions for additions to the store, please submit them before the game starts!

Every morning, a heart piece tally will be posted on the message board. Spent heart pieces will be given out again during activities.

Rules
  • Some people can PM. If you can't PM, you may gain that ability later.
  • If you're on a team, you may be told that your team member has vanished, and you won't know why. You may or not be able to find a new one.
  • The mafia win if all of the people outside of the mafia category besides Loners are dead.
  • The Secretkeepers win if all of the people inside of the mafia category are dead.
  • Some other roles can win some other ways.
  • You are not allowed to quote your role PM.
  • Modkills won't happen, but refrain from participating in the discussion at your own risk.
  • There are a couple of standard roles, but mostly these are experimental roles.
  • Flavour text is irrelevant to you.
  • Forty-eight hours per phase, but extensions will be granted during the day phase if people are participating.
  • If you notice anything wrong with the game, feel free to mention it!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for joining so far, but I'm still looking to have a total of about twenty people! I neglected that in the first post so now here's a new post about it. I could spend ages figuring out which roles to cut and how to rebalance the game but that's kind of silly when the whole point is trying out these roles.

There are twenty total roles (the majority of them made-up), but there are two I'd like to leave out unless there are more than twenty people in favour of repeating a more interesting role, so that still ends up at twenty.

There are special roles! And unique story-oriented flavour text for each one! And mini-games! And clues! And messages during the night! And heart pieces!...

Join, join!

Say, that whole heart piece is rather interesting. After this game, I might try setting up something similar.

It reminds me of Kratos' ToS Evolution Mafia.

I probably would've done a lot better in that if I knew Tales of Symphonia more or had been innocent.

Say, that whole heart piece is rather interesting. After this game, I might try setting up something similar.

I put it in place to get people to post and also so that some things could happen without filling the game with roles that could do that! Like I like people being brought to life as a mechanic, but it's boring if the reviver role dies or doesn't revive anyone and then it can end up being overpowered or useless... This might end up being overpowered or useless, too, I don't have a clear idea of how much a heart piece is really worth yet. But maybe it'll be neat!

You can potentially win one in the day, and sometimes you'll get them at night, and also the more people spend in the shop the more will be given out during mini-games so you could get three or four or something over a daynight thing... and you can pool together for heart pieces and that's kind of what you're meant to do for some of them!

It reminds me of Kratos' ToS Evolution Mafia.

I probably would've done a lot better in that if I knew Tales of Symphonia more or had been innocent.

I just looked that up and it looks like a really neat idea! That's what I'm trying to do in my game is one experiment and two get people to play. That's why heart pieces are a thing maybe it'll encourage people a bit more to post or to send in their night actions! Also a couple of other things are around to do stuff about inactivity.

Back
Top Bottom