• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ASB News (New as of 10/13/09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
TCoD ASB News: October 13th, 2009

General News

- On the fourth of this month, the league celebrated its fourth birthday. Things have changed a great deal since the start of the game, but it's still going strong; many thanks to all the players and referees who have kept things running thus far. I hope to be able to see TCoD ASB live on for many years to come.

- There will be no Halloween Festival this year due to a lack of time on my part, but Halloween Mafia has returned. Sign-ups are open through this Friday.

Policy Changes

- I've been going back through the rules and other information threads to fix things up a bit, from fixing typos to altering some attack descriptions. I was going to detail the changes in this post, but then I got into it and realized how long it was going to take, so I'll just detail them all in a news post at some later date, when everything's cleared up.

- The two-month ban on accepting challenges after being disqualified is revoked in most cases; you will still be put on probation if the circumstances surrounding your disqualification are suspicious. It's more work for me to deal with DQ's on a case-by-case basis, but in general the people getting punished by the system were not the people I wanted to punish. Individuals currently on challenge ban for this reason have been dropped from the ban list.

- Additionally, I am considering a major policy change in the form of eliminating differential referee pay based on rank. If you wish to comment on the issue, feel free to do so in the Suggestion Box. Otherwise, you'll find out what I decide in a couple of weeks when I either make that change or do nothing at all.

Job Openings

- I'm looking for some new signature move and signature attribute approvers to work the pokémon registration office; anyone who takes one of these positions automatically becomes a team approver as well. The pay is $8 for each week in which you approve at least one signature move or attribute. If you are interested in one or both of these positions, please PM me.

Last edited:
Re: ASB News (New as of 7/23/08)

TCoD ASB News: July 23rd, 2008

Now that I’m back from my trip to China, it’s time to get things rolling around here again. As Butterfree alluded to in her announcement about the forum reset, though, I thought that now would be an excellent time to introduce some fairly large changes to our ASB system. As the sheer number of these changes would make for one seriously tl;dr thread, I’ve grouped them into different topics to avoid incredibly huge, mind-eating posts and so that you can look at only specific areas that interest you if you so choose.

At this point, some changes are more “set in stone” than others. If people really want to, we can ultimately go back to the ASB system we’ve been using without alteration. These proposals outline what I’m considering for the moment, though, and I’m looking for any further changes people would care to suggest before going back and rewriting the rules and committing to any particular vision.

I describe why I choose to make changes within the various topics, but as a whole they try to address some of the problems I saw in the old system, as well as nudge the game towards my ideal ASB. Most are designed in an attempt to shift the game from rewarding monetary gain to rewarding battle experience, increase difficulty in team creation without significantly increasing the system’s complexity, and expedite the reffing process.

Finally, I’ll answer what I imagine are some of the most pressing questions for members of the previous ASB. First, the way I have things planned now, people will be able to recoup most if not all of their former teams if they desire, albeit not necessarily immediately or even quickly. Second, all battles currently in progress may be continued using the old ASB system rules immediately, if the referee agrees and has the resources necessary to continue them. If both battlers wish to continue but the referee is unwilling, they may request and emergency ref to finish the match, although they’ll be responsible for getting the necessary information on their battle themselves, probably from their former referee. The Grand Festival will be finishing so help me goodness, as I’ve sunk far too much time into that thing to let it die now. And, finally, however things turn out, the ASB should be opened again by the end of the first week of August, and possibly sooner if there is little discussion to be had.

Re: ASB News (New as of 7/23/08)

TCoD ASB News: August 11th, 2008

Okay, so this obviously took a bit longer than anticipated. However, the majority of the reset is now done and the League is completely open once again.

Almost all of the major threads have been redone from scratch, so they are undoubtedly full of errors. If you see any, please don't hesitate to point them out. Information may be incomplete or missing because I forgot about it; feel free to point that out, too, or ask questions if you feel that something is unclear. There are also a couple of things that I am still working on, such as the complete items list and the complete phasing rules. These should be done by the end of the week. Also, it may take a while to get everything properly linked together. As of now, text in red indicates a placeholder for a link that I haven't put in yet but which should be appearing soon.

Thanks to everyone for your patience, and especially to all the people who volunteered for various approver positions. For the moment, we should have enough people to keep things running smoothly while I make the last edits to get things back to relative normalcy again. It would be nice to get another business approver and signature attribute approver, but for the moment it's not like we're terribly understaffed.

I hope that you enjoy playing under the new system and would also like to point you towards Bill's Teleporter, where you can take advantage of free pokémon imports for the next two weeks only.

Last edited:
Re: ASB News (New as of 8/11/08)

TCoD ASB News: September 1st, 2008

To begin with, just a friendly reminder: you are not allowed to operate multiple accounts in the ASB forum. If you are found to have more than one active account, all of your accounts will be permanently banned from the game. I don't look kindly on trying to exploit the system using multiple accounts, so I'd think twice before trying to sneak one past. And, once again, if you want siblings to be able to make an account for themselves, you must notify me before they join of this intent. Trying to excuse yourself after the fact is too late.

On a more news-like note, however, there have been numerous minor edits made to the rules and, especially, to the attack guide recently:

- After some reflection, I have decided to raise the number of conditionals allowed per action without penalty from two to three.

- The phasing rules for ghosts have now been added to the rules. They are as follows:

Ghosts, being spirits rather than living creatures, are not as bound to the physical realm as are most other pokémon. This accounts for many of their unique traits, as well as endowing them with some special abilities in battle. Ghosts are able to become invisible, turn incorporeal to pass through obstacles or avoid attacks, and even occupy solid objects for a small amount of time. These abilities are collectively known as "phasing."

The easiest ability for a ghost to use is its ability to become invisible. While invisible, a ghost retains all its normal weaknesses and resistances, but obviously is nearly impossible to hit because it cannot be seen. Unerring attacks like magical leaf will still be effective against invisible ghosts, and reliance on sound may still give an indication as to where a ghost is. Also, if a ghost uses any attack that makes it obvious where it's hiding--basically any projectile that is not invisible and would be seen to come from the ghost--invisibility is obviously of little help. Mind reader and lock on can be used to find an invisible ghost, as can scanning with psychic abilities. It costs a ghost 1% per action to remain invisible.

Ghosts may turn incorporeal in order to pass through solid objects or allow attacks to pass through them. In this form, a ghost can only be affected by energy-based (special) attacks and, in turn, can execute only attacks of this nature. Pokémon with the scrappy ability ignore this effect. Staying in a phased state requires no energy to maintain. However, if a ghost is phased and then tries to occupy a space taken up by a solid object for any more than a single action, it counts as "possesssing" that object and different rules apply.

Possession requires energy to maintain (2% per action). Anything on the field, including enemy pokémon, can be possessed. While possessing something, the ghost is diffused throughout its form and it naturally loses any physical abilities that it might have. It is also blind, deaf, and dumb, as it no longer has the necessary organs to obtain these sensory inputs. A trainer should therefore be wary; there is no way for a ghost to receive its trainer's orders. Therefore, any actions for the ghost to take while possessing an object must be ordered ahead of time. The ghost will by default rematerialize after it has completed them unless somehow prevented from doing so.

While in possession of an object, the ghost is at a disconnect with the material world; it cannot actually influence the actions of the host, if any. It is restricted to using special or energy-based attacks, and is further restricted in that these attacks cannot require body parts, such as a mouth or tongue, to use. However, a ghost is safe from anything but energy damage when in this state as well, and attacks that work by sight or sound cannot affect them. However, even ambient energy that would normally not affect the host can damage a ghost within it. For example, an electric-type's cells are naturally immune to the current they generate. However, a possessing ghost-type would be negatively affected by the buildup of charge when possessing such a pokémon. An attack like spark, which merely discharges electricity from the surface of the body, would not affect a possessing ghost. However, an attack like charge, which increases the level of electricity in the pokémon's body, would. Similarly, flamethrower does not affect a posessing ghost, but if it was inside a pokémon that used overheat, it would certainly be uncomfortable.

Phsyical damage to the pokémon or object being possessed has no effect, as the ghost's "cells" are gaseous and merely slide through whatever medium is undergoing stress without sustaining damage. For example, if a ghost is inside a rock affected by an earthquake attack, it will not take damage. However, if an energy-based attack is able to penetrate the object being possessed deeply enough, then the ghost may take damage.

Attacks that rely on a rush of energy to expel unwanted status effects, such as refresh or rest, will also drive out resident ghosts. If knocked out while posessing an object, a ghost will automatically rematerialize in order to be recalled.

There are some ghosts that are tied to physical objects in one way or another and therefore cannot phase completely. These include sableye (gems), shedinja (shell), and spiritomb (keystone). These pokémon can still phase as normal, but these physical objects will be unaffected and still susceptible to normal damage. For example, sableye can turn its body invisible, but the gems apparently floating in midair are liable to give its position away. Pokémon made ghost-type through means other than dying do not have access to phasing abilities.

Ghosts can be locked into the physical realm through the use of the attacks odor sleuth and foresight, which make them unable to use their phasing abilities for the duration of the effect. If these commands are used to identify a ghost while it is possessing something, it will be trapped in that object until the effect fades.

- A couple of the contest definitions that I missed in the attack guide have been added.

- Each attack-containing post in the attack guide now has an index at the top with links to all the other letters to aid in browsing.

- Substitute has been restricted so that substitutes can now only be used at one of three set sizes: 10%, 15%, or 25%. This is first to add some realism, as one wouldn't expect a pokémon to know how to cut precisely, say, 17% of its health in order to make a substitute of the appropriate size. It is also intended to help prevent abuse of this attack, whereby a player could guess how much damage an attack was going to deal and then order a substitute with 1% more health than that attack in order to effectively protect itself for two actions at minimal cost.

- Bide and endure have had the "whole-round commitment" removed from their requirements because it was rather pointless. Bide now just requires three actions to use, and endure can be called for as many or as few actions in a row a a trainer desires.

- Torment no longer lasts indefinitely. Nor do odor sleuth and foresight.

Last edited:
Re: ASB News (New as of 9/1/08)

TCoD ASB News: October 7th, 2008

- Happy birthday, ASB! TCoD ASB's third birthday was last Saturday, October 4th.

- The September contest has finally been judged. Congratulations to those who survived this round!

- In case you've managed to miss it, the Halloween Festival is back this year, this time accompanied by a game of mafia with an ASB theme. There are still positions available in the mafia and it's never too late to get in on the main festival activities, so give them a look if you haven't already.

- The Attack Guide has been fixed so that all individual posts actually show entries for all letters of the alphabet.

- Punishment has been greatly reduced in power since I realized that it used to hit 150 power when the opponent had only two stat boosts. It should be much more balanced now.

Re: ASB News (New as of 10/7/08)

TCoD ASB News: October 13th, 2009

General News

- On the fourth of this month, the league celebrated its fourth birthday. Things have changed a great deal since the start of the game, but it's still going strong; many thanks to all the players and referees who have kept things running thus far. I hope to be able to see TCoD ASB live on for many years to come.

- There will be no Halloween Festival this year due to a lack of time on my part, but Halloween Mafia has returned. Sign-ups are open through this Friday.

Policy Changes

- I've been going back through the rules and other information threads to fix things up a bit, from fixing typos to altering some attack descriptions. I was going to detail the changes in this post, but then I got into it and realized how long it was going to take, so I'll just detail them all in a news post at some later date, when everything's cleared up.

- The two-month ban on accepting challenges after being disqualified is revoked in most cases; you will still be put on probation if the circumstances surrounding your disqualification are suspicious. It's more work for me to deal with DQ's on a case-by-case basis, but in general the people getting punished by the system were not the people I wanted to punish. Individuals currently on challenge ban for this reason have been dropped from the ban list.

- Additionally, I am considering a major policy change in the form of eliminating differential referee pay based on rank. If you wish to comment on the issue, feel free to do so in the Suggestion Box. Otherwise, you'll find out what I decide in a couple of weeks when I either make that change or do nothing at all.

Job Openings

- I'm looking for some new signature move and signature attribute approvers to work the pokémon registration office; anyone who takes one of these positions automatically becomes a team approver as well. The pay is $8 for each week in which you approve at least one signature move or attribute. If you are interested in one or both of these positions, please PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom