• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Grand Festival 2007

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
This thread is an unproofread repost for reference purposes.

Appeal Round Two

Light Mightyena, Diana, and Kiba

The first to appear for the second round of appeals is Light Mightyena, and the crowd, which had been aroused to excited muttering, quiets down rapidly. All eyes are now on the stage as the trainer steps up, her pokémon already walking by her side. Kiba, the enthusiastic pichu from the previous appeal round, is as chipper as ever. She waves happily at the crowd, one paw clutching at the fur of her teammate to keep herself from falling off his back. Kiba the absol, quite unlike his effervescent partner, is stoic in the face of his audience, offering nothing more than a stony glower at them before Light Mightyena steps back again to make way for the appeal.

Diana jumps down from Kiba's back as the absol comes to a halt, then starts to perform a sprightly, skipping dance around the absol. As she goes, the pichu sings a charming tune, its tempo a bit sedate and soothing for the energetic dance she's doing but pleasant nonetheless. Several members of the audience find themselves slipping into a kind of sleepy trance as the music washes over them, but they do their best to stay awake--they don't want to miss any of this appeal or the ones that come later, after all!

For his part, Kiba starts up a dance of his own, slipping from one battle stance into another as he works his way through an ancient routine designed to focus his mind and enhance his battle prowess. As the dance progresses, it becomes ever more frenetic, and soon the absol is leaping and spinning, his long, curved horn whistling through the air as he tosses his head to the rhythm of his steps. Meanwhile, dark clouds start to gather overhead in response to Diana's erratic, jaunty dance. As Kiba spins to a halt, claws rasping against the stage, the first few drops of rain fall, though Diana keeps dancing and singing. Though the absol is breathing a little heavily after the exertions of his swords dance, he doesn't hesitate to begin a song of his own. The absol's voice is deep and powerful, and the melody he begins, whlie in its own way as beautiful as Diana's, is dark and faintly sinister. The two melodies twine around one another as Diana brings her dance to a halt, the rain escalating to a soaking downpour that has the audience scrambling for umbrellas or holding their programs over their heads in a futile attempt at warding of the water. Diana's light, peaceful song overlays the rumbling, melancholy sound of Kiba's, creating the impression of something a strained peace, something deadly and fell hiding behind a beautiful, calm facade. For a few seconds the two pokémon do nothing but stand on stage, singing their respective songs. As the two tunes come to a close, however, Kiba bends down slightly, tipping his head to the side so that his blade is only a couple of inches above the stage. Diana climbs on top of it and, with a flick of his head, Kiba sends the pichu soaring through the air. As she rises towards the dark clouds overhead, the pichu starts to charge electricity, cheeks sparking for a moment before she releases a concentrated beam of electricity towards the clouds overhead. The charge beam shoots off into the sky while the pichu falls back to earth, landing with a thump on Kiba's back and hastily reaching out to grab hold of his fur to steady herself. The absol grunts faintly when the pichu lands, but other than that remains totally calm and reserved in the face of the crowd's applause. While Diana again laughs delightedly and waves at the audience, Kiba turns silently away and follows his trainer off the stage.

Negrek: 8.8

I like the theme, and overall I think you carried it off well. The last action didn't qutie seem to fit together with the rest, and while the singing part was very pretty, just having the two pokémon stand there and sing with nothing else going on (save the rain) was a little less impactful than it could have been. A nice performance on the whole, though.

Walker: 8.0

It seems very nice to me, and while I assume that Charge Beam was meant to do something, it was awe inspiring none the less.

opaltiger: 7.8

Although a nice performance overall (particularly the first part; I may have mentioned last round I really like appeals that utilise songs in some way), it seemed to be lacking a central unity, especially since the charge beam appeared to do nothing but be there. Mostly it needed a stronger climax. Other than that, a good appeal.

Kratos Aurion, Don Quixote, and Shizuka

Even as Light Mightyena leaves the stage, the clouds are starting to break up and allow the sunlight to beam down again as weather-altering pokémon in the League's employ hastily clear the skies again. By the time Kratos Aurion takes to the stage, the day is again warm and sunny, only the glittering puddles lurking under the bleachers remaining as reminders of the brief shower. The audience pays these no attention anyway, being much more preoccupied with trying to figure out why Kratos looks so much more masculine than he did at the time of the previous round. Of secondary importance is the fact that he is only accompanied by one pokémon, the arcanine Don Quixote, and doesn't appear to be preparing to release any more onto the stage. The faint tremors caused by something very large moving through the ground under the stage go largely unnoticed as a result.

As Kratos Aurion falls back, Don Quixote continues up to center stage, surrounded by several dancing will-o-wisps. The blue balls of fire swirl and dance erratically through the air around the arcanine, but as soon as he's reached the center of attention the arcanine blasts them away with a curtain of flames. The heat wave attack roars out in all directions, vaporizing what water is left over from the previous appeal in an instant, though the faint sizzle that this makes is drowned out by the roar of the flames themselves, and what little steam is generated is torn apart as soon as it appears. Kratos Aurion, standing just outside the reach of the attack, kicks discreetly at the stage.

While the flames generated by his heat wave die away, leaving the stage much hotter and drier than before, Don Quixote breathes out a spinning trail of flame that coils back on itself impossibly, forming a raging column of spinning fire several feet in front of the arcanine, blocking him from view.

Now the audience does notice the movement of the earth, as it is more pronounced now and accompanied by a low rumbling. Moments after the formation of the tall fire spin, there is a great crash as something rips its way up through the stage, scattering bits of wood that are eagerly picked up by the fire spin and consumed. The pokémon that hauls its way out of the hole in the stage is little more than a dark shadow at the center of the flames, but it certainly is a large one, and apparently not terribly bothered by the flames swirling on all sides. It tosses back its head and spits a dense ball of fire into the air. The attack rockets up and out of the fire spin, exploding into the shape of a huge, arcane mark as it sails up into the sky. For a moment the ancient symbol for "fire" is outlined against the sky in streamers of glowing fire before the attack falls apart into scattered wisps of flame that scatter and fade away. Meanwhile, Don Quixote lets the fire spin degenerate, revealing Shizuka the rhydon standing at the center of the attack. She, Kratos, and Don Quixote bow to the cheering crowd before exiting, leaving a ragged hole in the floor of the scorched stage and a few last stubborn tongues of flame weakly circling it, the last remnants of Don Quixote's fire spin attack.

Negrek: 8.0

I'm not sure how well this one went off. I know what you were going for with the whole "Volcano herald/volcano goddess" thing, but I'm not sure how well that was communicated to the audience. As it was, the opening attacks seemed at a disconnect with the ending ones. Also, Shizuka was difficult to see in the middle of the fire spin, which made her entrance a bit less impressive--and the fact that you were going on only one pokémon, rather than two, for most of the appeal was a bit out of place.

Walker: 8.5

This was simply amazing if you ask me, the Pokémon-bursts-out-of-the-middle-of-the-stage thing is creative, although the whole appeal seems to focus more on Shizuka's entrance and less on Don Quitoxe. The whole fireblast into the sky thing is still amazing enough to make up for it though.

opaltiger: 9.5

Very dramatic. An excellent appeal, all throughout - the Will-o-Wisps were a nice touch, if a minor one - it ran very smoothly, which is important. I liked the sudden appearance of the second Pokemon, and the climax was suitably explosive.

Full Metal Cookies, Alphonse, and Edward

There is a brief intermission to allow for the repair of the ripped-up stage, but this only makes the crowd more enthusiastic to witness the return of Full Metal Cookies to giver her second appeal. She tosses two pokéballs into the air, but the sound of their opening is easily drowned out by the cheers of the audience. Once more the huge steelix, Alphonse, takes shape, but this time he is joined by a suave feline, Edward the male persian.

Edward is the first to move, easily outpacing his titanic partner. Darting back and forth across the stage, the persian puts on an impressive show of speed as he starts moving so fast that he is little more than a cream-colored blur shooting back and forth in front of Alphonse. The Steelix doesn't take long to start in on his own command, either, and a raspy grating noise cuts through the air as the segments of his rocky body begin turning and sliding past one another. By the time the steelix has worked up to a veritable cyclone of spinning metal, emitting a noise something like dentist's drill grown to three hundred times the size, Edward is slowing down, three clones sauntering along behind him before he sends them off to range around Alphonse. As the steelix's furious polishing finally comes to a halt, he is noticeably more shiny and smoother than before--and warm to the touch as well, the friction of his body's segments grinding against one another having generated quite a bit of heat.

This last fact is, fortunately, one that Edward won't be forced to discover firsthand. He and his clones turn to look up at Alphonse, the gems in their foreheads glowing momentarily before firing effulgent columns of ruby energy into the steelix. Upon striking his mirrored body, the beams scatter, filling the air with a cascade of refracted light that shimmers and sparkles enticingly as it falls back towards the stage. Though a little stung by the attack, Alphonse doesn't let his pain show as he tosses back his head and lets out a powerful, rumbling roar. As he does so, golden light starts to spill out around his teeth, a ball of pure energy collecting at the back of his throat. As the power gem attack fades away, Edward and his clones tilt their heads back as well, the jewels on their foreheads now glowing yellow as they, too, begin charging power.

Alphonse is the first to launch his attack, letting a huge column of blinding gold energy erupt from his mouth and shoot straight up into the sky. The hyper beam attack is soon joined by four more as Edward and his clones unleash their own. The five hyper beams, three of which are illusions (but which appear just as impressive as the real thing) meet in the air above Alphonse's head. The collision of such immense energies causes a blinding explosion of intense light, and by the time the members of the audience are able to see anything at all again, Edward's clones have disappeared and he is standing calmly in front of Alphonse, the two of them nodding to the crowd as the applause starts. Full Metal Cookies recalls them both, bows, and then makes way for the next coordinator.

Negrek: 8.3

I liked this one a lot, actually. The first action was kind of eh, as it was more or less just a power-up for the two pokémon, and I think you could have done something more with Alphonse than just roar on the second action, but it was still pretty impressive. Alternatively, I may just be easily distracted by shiny things.

Walker: 10.0

Overall a nice appeal, a great way to make use of Steelix's size and reflective surface, and it has a nice bit of (maybe unintended...?) now-you-see-it-now-you-don't thrown in with the clones' disappearance.

opaltiger: 8.7

After the Double Team I was already growing skeptical (most DT appeals lose something in the setup), but this was a very nice appeal; I especially liked the idea of the reflected attack, and explosions make for oh-so-wonderful finishes.

Kusarigamaitachi, Hokage, and Vector

Kusarigamaitachi is up next, and it enters looking remarkably more androgynous than during the previous appeal round. A few of the crowd mutter and peer into their sodas in suspicion, confused by all the gender-bending that seems to be going on in this contest, but most have long forgotten that things were ever any different. In any case, most are far more interested in the pokéballs Kusarigamaitachi tosses into the air than in questioning its precise gender.

Hokage the charizard and Vector the raticate take to the stage in twin bursts of light, the fire-type winging up into the air almost immediately upon materializing. His rodent companion takes a moment to stare out at the crowd, thick whiskers twitching, before he appears to notice the charizard winging overhead. With a yelp, the rat takes off in a blur of motion, shooting around and around the stage in search of some way to escape. Overhead, Hokage does his best to keep up, but the raticate is moving extremely fast. Vector realizes this and slows down a bit until he's just running around normally, and Hokage angles his wings and shoots down towards the raticate.

Vector stops, glancing left and right in desperation, for no means of escape from the stage has presented itself (save, of course, the usual exits), but then flinches and looks up as Hokage opens his mouth and lets out a deafening roar. Drawing himself, the raticate chatters out something defiant, then leaps straight at the face of the diving charizard.

This action is, ultimately, extremely unwise. Hokage's gaping jaws close easily around the raticate's midriff, and he comes in for a neat landing on the stage despite the raticate's struggles. Oozing dark energy, mixed with a bit of blood, dribbles down the charizard's snout, and Vector's drawn-out squeal grates on the ears of all in attendance. As the reedy cry dies away, however, the raticate slowly stops struggling, going limp in Hokage's jaws. The charizard drops the raticate to the stage with a final thump, and the raticate lies still as the audience looks on with horror. Hokage flares his wings and lets out a final triumphant roar, just for effect, before Kusarigamaitachi recalls both him and his partner and calmly walks off the stage.

Negrek: 7.5

This is a tricky one to grade. While on the one hand, it does do a good job of showing off both pokémon's capabilities and was put together all right, on the other I don't know that it's really something people would want to watch. That's not to say that fairly violent, "fatal" appeals can't be done (see Jade Dragonair's below), but yours was not as obviously just for show and choreographed; sort of more a Discovery Channel wildlife special, if you will. IMO your audience is going to be more grossed out by that than impressed. Creative take on appeal structure, but one I'm rather unsure of.

Walker: 6.7

*alerts PETP* Now as we wait for them to arrive and arrest you for the harm done to your Raticate, my grading. A decent appeal, it was carried out nicely and makes good work of Charizard and Raticate's predator and prey relationship, but I'm just not too fond of it for some reason. I guess I'm just not the sadistic type like you.

opaltiger: 9.7

Haha, this was cool. Originality is fun, and I don't think I've ever seen someone put on a drama performance before. Nothing much to say, except that I love the idea and I think you did very nicely with the time available.

Sasori, Drako, and Volt

The crowd is still shaken when Sasori takes to the stage, but after a slight delay, they start to applaud his appearance. Sasori smiles and waves, then tosses his pokéballs into the air to release Drako and a new competitor, Volt, onto the stage. The little elekid looks a bit nervous as he looks out at the audience, but Drako gives a gruff snort that snaps the electric-type back to attention in no time.

While his trainer hastens to get out of the way, Volt raises his claws over his head even as the spark plug extensions on his head start to fizzle and pop with electrical charge. From the elekid's glowing claws flies a flurry of stars, while long, crackling tendrils of electricity radiate from his body. Drako sees his cue and starts to spin, periodically spitting bursts of fire into the mixture of stars and waves of electricity.

Unfortunately, while the discharge attack does go shooting through the swift, crackling in around the glowing stars, the swift itself flies apart very quickly, scattering across the stage with sizzling lines of electricity jagging after it. Though Drako tries to aim his jets of fire through the swirl of attacks, to do so is difficult both because his aim is somewhat shaky due to the spinning and because flamethrower itself is not an attack well-suited to being applied in short bursts. As it is, however, he does manage to shoot a couple of streamers through the glowing, hissing cloud of stars and bolts before the ever-expanding attacks at last engulf him.

The charmeleon snorts as he is buffeted by stars, a wave of electricity striking soon after and sending painful shudders racing through his body. He can't stop now, though, and even as the attacks shoot outward, spreading farther still, he moves on into his next attack. The flame on his tail grows and brightens, burning white-hot as Drako charges towards the front of the stage. The air around him ripples and shimmers with the heat radiating from the charmeleon's crimson scales, and as he tosses back his head to let out a roar, flickering shreds of fire fall from his jaws. A moment later, the charemeleon's entire body explodes in a sheet of fire, leaving him running at the center of a miniature firestorm that scorches the floorboards below and leaves glowing embers dancing in his wake.

Volt, meanwhile, exerts all the psychic energy he can muster to grab the charmeleon and lift him from the ground. The elekid's eyes glow blue, and he strains to raise the larger pokémon into the air. Not very well-practiced with psychic attacks, the electric-type nevertheless manages to avert crisis at least: before Drako can go running straight off the edge of the stage, he is surrounded by a blue glow and finds himself rising into the air, legs flailing uselessly as he is borne gently upwards. Volt manages to lift the charmeleon perhaps two feet before he is forced to stop, at the limit of his psychic abilities. Sweating, the elekid grins weakly at the crowd and tries to strike an intimidating pose, eyes glowing blue, while Drako waits patiently to be let down.

As the crowd begins to applaud, Volt gratefully lets go of Drako, and the charmeleon falls back to the stage with a soft thump. As the flare blitz around his body dies out, the fire-type bows to the audience, then turns to join his trainer and Volt as the two make their way offstage.

Negrek: 5.5

This one didn't work out too well for a few reasons. First, swift and discharge are both attacks that spread rapidly; to really get the effect of electricity going through the swift stars, you'd need to make it a combo. Second, these attacks also strike everything else in their path, so in the partner appeal you have the issue of injuring the other performer unless they're immune to the attacks. Third, flamethrower isn't the best attack to try and create small, artful bursts out of. Finally, elekid have only weak psychic abilities, and trying to hold up a charmeleon that's moving around a lot for any considerable length of time is extremely difficult as a consequence. In general, this one didn't flow very well and, unfortunately, didn't reflect the capabilities of the parties involved very well.

Walker: 6.0

Not so good. In theory, the Swift-Discharge-Flamethrower combination could've been great, but it was foiled by poor choice I think. A non-damaging move like Thunderwave probably could have gotten away with dancing on the Swift stars, and maybe a less linear fire attack like Ember would have been easier to get between the stars. Drako's Flare Blitz-Fir Fang combo was nice, and it had a nice (again, maybe unintended..?) dragon tamer effect with Volt catching him.

opaltiger: 6.3

This appeal appears to be a good idea ruined by a rather difficult execution. I'd say it was also slightly too complicated, with the mixture of things going on, and it just sort of fell apart on itself; lacking also any real finish.

Music Dragon, G'doo, and Albus Dumbledork

Music Dragon comes onstage grinning, his pokéballs already at the ready. He wastes no time in releasing G'doo the claydol and Albus Dumbledork the dratini. Neither pokémon seems fazed by their appearance in front of so many people--though it's not exactly easy to discern G'doo's expression, and the applause has barely had a chance to die down to respectful silence as the two pokémon begin their appeal.

Albus Dumbledork begins to dance, wriggling and twisting back and forth across the stage. At the same time, "Macho Man" starts to roar from the contest hall's speakers, startling several members of the audience and causing others to cringe. On the stage, G'doo starts up a high-speed spin, turning into an indistinct whirling blur in the air. From the claydol's numerous blank eyes beam multicolored columns of psychic force, filling the air with a rippling, shimmering field of psychic power. As Albus continues his dance, he takes every opportunity to show off for the ladies of the crowd, waggling his ears and tossing a coy wink to one or two of them. Even as he does so, the dratini breathes a fine mist out of his nostrils, shrouding himself and then the stage at large with a fine layer of rippling, drifting haze. G'doo, by now, has worked up to shooting little shards of rock in all directions in addition to psybeams, and sharp bits of stone go spinning in all directions, flung away from the claydol by the force of his spinning. A few strike Albus Dumbledork, leaving small cuts on his scaly body, but the dratini does his best to ignore them--he won't allow his performance to be compromised that easily! As the stealth rock attack floats eerily in midair, casting weird shadows across the stage as G'doo's psybeams bounce off it, Albus finishes his dance and the music comes to an end. The stage is left awash in mist and covered by a layer of floating rocks. As G'doo slows to a halt and cuts the lights, the audience starts to cheer, and Albus Dumbledork, not missing the opportunity to be charming, shows off to the crowd for a couple more seconds before the recall beam of his pokéball. Music Dragon smiles, waves to the crowd, and then departs, the mist dissipating and the stealth rocks falling out of the air as he does.

Negrek: 9.0

Trippy. Stealth rock ended up hurting Albus, which was unfortunate, and the captivate attack's maximum effectiveness was only realized on about half the audience. You were asking a little much of your pokémon, as well, to have all those commands crammed into a single action. Very different, though, as always, and a real sight to see.

Well, I managed to narrowly avoid my brain melting from the music by gouging out my eardrums so all is good there. :D Overall a nice appeal, G'doo's disco ball role probably could've been much better had he been something reflective, but it was still pulled off very well. Albus' dance & captivate was done well, and the mist obscuring the stealth rocks was very clever of you. No offense MD, all music apart from VG Music gives me brain damage, not just yours. ;;

opaltiger: 9.7

Another original idea, whoo. I can't say much of your choice in music, but you have the requisite disco ball and dramatic mist effects, so it is not overly annoying. Really, I can't find anything overly wrong with this.

Chiropterus, Dolce, and Lumiere

The current frontrunner, Chiropterus, enters to a shower of enthusiastic cheers and applause. The audience quiets down quickly, however, not wanting to miss the appeal as Chiropterus tosses first one pokéball, then another, to the stage. From the first bursts Dolce, oriented sideways so that her neck won't block the second pokémon to appear: a small roselia by the name of Lumiere. While the lapras is serene and hardly bats an eyelash at the sight of the hushed crowd, Lumiere isn't so certain of himself.

Fortunately, it is easy for him to mask nerves with unhappiness, and the roselia slouches dejectedly on Dolce's shell, shaking his head as he looks out at the empty expanse of empty (if oft-repaired) boards that make up the stage. It certainly is stark--though not for long. Tilting her head back, Docle spews a roaring column of water into the air. The hydro pump surges an impressive five feet into the air before Dolce cuts it off and grabs hold of it with her psychic powers, preventing it from raining back onto the stage. Exerting intense concentration, she causes the long streamer of water to twist and coil in on itself, swimming through the air like a living thing, although Dolce can't do very much to make it look overtly serpentine. Nevertheless, Lumiere doesn't have to exert a great deal of imagination to act entranced by the watery apparition. As it drifts out to the front of the stage, the roselia hastens to follow, keeping his eyes trained upwards and nearly tripping several times on the irregular bumps and spikes on Dolce's shell. Once he leaps down from the Lapras' back the going is much easier, however, and he soon catches up to the hydro pump.

Dolce is grateful, because her fairly weak psychic powers are already starting to be strained. Now comes the most difficult part: splitting the hydro pump into two parts, Dolce flattens and spreads it out with her mind into her best imitation of wings. Unfortunately, about the best she can manage is a kind of two-part dome of water over Lumiere's head, but it matters little; Dolce can only hold that formation for a second or so before she is forced to explode the hydro pump into a scattering of droplets, lest it simply fall apart as her psychic attack weakens.

Seeing his cue, Lumiere starts to dance, raising his roses into the air and shooting petals and leaves in all directions. As he dances, they swirl and spin in the air around him, though the performance is soon obscured by a roaring swirl of greenery. A whirling tornado of glowing green leaves, formed of pure energy, encircles both Dolce and Lumiere in a fierce blizzard of grass-type energy. From somewhere within the storm comes the low, melodic tolling of a bell, and as time goes on, a delightful, soothing scent begins to waft from the stage as well. As the leaf storm begins to die down, leaves vanishing out of its spinning fury one by one, Lumiere can again be seen, still dancing away in a smaller cloud of leaves and petals. The bell continues to ring, now visible above Dolce's head as a glittering, crystal-clear construct made of pure energy. As the leaf storm grows steadily weaker, fading away into thin air, Lumiere's dance begins to wind down as well, until the roselia is standing still in a joyful pose, a broad grin upon his face, as the last few flower petals and leaves drift to the stage around him. The bell over Dolce's head dissolves after one final peal, and for a moment the air is silent as the two pokémon wait, frozen in place. Then the applause starts up, and Lumiere lets his act drop with a grateful sigh, wilting slightly. The very tired roselia and lapras are recalled, and after taking a moment to acknowledge the applause, Chiropterus departs as well, clearing the stage to make way for the eigth and final appeal.

Negrek: 7.6

There are some very nice aspects to this appeal, but I saw two major problems with it: first that lapras isn't a very prodigious psychic, and the degree of water manipulation you asked Dolce to do was a bit beyond her abilities. Second, the leaf storm pretty much obscured everything on stage while it was going on, and it interfered with the aromatherapy a bit as well. Although only about half of this appeal was really "visual," some of the effect was lost simply because the audience wasn't able to see much save the swirling leaves for most of the second half. While pretty, the leaf storm reduced the impact of some of the other moves.

Walker: 8.5

This was a great appeal, it makes great use of both Dolce and Lumiere's powers, and the Heal Bell did add a nice touch. The only thing that held you back in my opinion, was that Dolce couldn't quite get the water in the shape you wanted it, but it is very minor and didn't seem to affect the overall performance.

opaltiger: 8.8

Perhaps the Hydro Pump didn't work out as spectacularly as possible, but it seems to have had no negative effect on the appeal, which is quite fortunate for you; other than this slightly shaky start, the appeal progressed nicely, and if perhaps not quite as dramatic or skillful as your first, it was nevertheless an excellent performance (I liked the bell!).

Jade Dragonair, Zero, and Fornax

The stage is hastily swept clean, but no coordinator appears to take Chiropterus' place. From the left a sneasel appears, leering up at the audience for a moment before snapping to attention as Zero enters from the right. The sleepy-looking abra doesn't look terribly fearsome or angry, but there's plent of force behind the "You!" that rings in the minds of every spectator as the abra's slitted eyes fall on Fornax.

In a blur of motion the sneasel rushes across the stage, one paw lashing out to cut a thin gash down Zero's chest. The abra staggers, then retaliates, his fist hissing and crackling with electrical charge as he slams it into Fornax's chest.

The attack only serve to make Fornax more angry, and he immediately launches into a flashy bit of claw-play, unleashing a fury of jabs and slices at Zero. The abra falls back as the sneasel's claws cut through the air around him, unexpected leaps and lunges on Fornax's part occasionally make dodging impossible for Zero, and the sneasel's claws leave thin cuts across his carapace. At last growing fed up with the dance, the abra takes a particularly large leap back, green light glowing between his paws as he summons life energy into a messy ball. As Fornax moves to reengage, leering maniacally, the abra launches the energy ball straight at the sneasel's chest.

The force of the impact hurls Fornax away in a burst of pulsing green globules of energy, the remnants of the energy ball attack. The sneasel hits the stage hard and skids; upon coming to a rest, he lies very still, making no move to get up--or any move at all for that matter. Rubbing a particularly deep cut on his shoulder, Zero stalks over to the sneasel's supine form and stands above it, glowering down at his opponent. When the sneasel continues to lie where he has fallen, the abra turns on his heel and walks off the stage, tail lashing the air behind him as he goes. The audience is then treated to a most perplexing sight: the sneasel lying with a livid bruise spreading across his chest and the abra gone entirely. Then, from behind the stage, a thin, reedy song starts up; unfortunately, there are no microphones in that area, and people have to strain to hear the abra's voice at all. Perhaps this is for the better; though Zero may have some musical talent, his species is not very giften in the tonal arts, and in comparison to the earlier musical displays this contest, his attempt would probably have seemed a bit lacking. As the audience strains their ears, perplexed, the sky begins to darken. The clouds, banished since the beginning of their contest, eagerly make their return, rolling in to shroud the stage and stands in shadow. As a few raindrops splatter to earth, the audience scrambles to find defense against the storm. Fornax's sudden move catches their attention nevertheless. Slowly, the sneasel raises his head and turns to face the audience, a broad, toothy grin on his face. The rain intensifies, and as water sheets down onto the stage, Zero reappears with Jade Dragonair, who helps Fornax up and then bows with her pokémon as the crowd, snapped out of their temporary shock and unease by her appearance, start in on enthusiastic applause.

Negrek: 8.5

This one was pretty nice. It came together nicely up until the end, which was a bit strange, what with Zero walking off the stage like that and leaving you with several seconds of awkward "dead air time." Also, the singing thing was a bit strange--the abra line doesn't even get plain old sing, or indeed any really vocal kinds of attacks, so I think that that particular aspect of the appeal detracted from the overall performance rather than helped it. The very end of it, with Fornax grinning, was pretty cool, but in the end it just got a bit awkward in that last action where nothing appeared to be happening.

Walker: 8.0

This was a good appeal, if only hurt a bit by the fact that Abra aren't the loudest (or best, for that matter) singers in the world. Not much else I can think to say other than, thank Din there were no microphones backstage. :D

opaltiger: 7.1

Well, this was strange. While the idea of a play-acted battle is interesting, I think Kusarigamaitachi's execution, while similar, worked better since it had more of a dramatic life-and-death chase quality to it; here, you're basically showing us a battle, which we see more or less every day. Still, nothing blatantly wrong.

With the close of the eigth and final appeal comes a resurgence in noise from the crowd, as the members of the audience eagerly discuss just what they thought of the second round's appeals. Speculation over who will move on runs rampant throughout the stands, and people stare up at the great, dark digital screen that will soon display the scores, willing the judges to grade faster. After what seems an age, the board flickers to life and numbers and names start to appear on the screen, the delight of the cheering crowd below.

Music Dragon: 28.7
Full Metal Cookies: 27.0
Kratos Aurion: 26.0
Chiropter: 24.9
----
Light Mightyena: 24.6
Kusarigamaitachi: 23.9
Jade Dragonair: 23.6
Sasori: 17.8​

From here, Music Dragon, Full Metal Cookies, Kratos Aurion, and Chiropter will need to (re)post their final appeals. The twist this time is that you get to make up the stage terrain yourself. Also, the pokémon used for your final appeal must be the one introduced for this round of the double appeals.

Last edited:
Eep. Ok, um, here goes.

This is probably gonna look pretty bad but ok~

For the terrain, I think that an ancient Egyptian type scene, the outside of a temple with astaircase flanked by cat statues, with a pedestal that would be short enough for Edward to jump on, and a bunch of people-illusions just kinda… gathered there. Lots of sand and whatnot.

Edward, I want you to come stalking out of the temple door and look down the stairs at the people. Smirk or something, and come walking down, and jump on the pedestal. The moment you get on there, use Sunny Day. Immediately after, use Pay Day to fling coins out to all the people – share the wealth! The sun should make the coins all shiny, adding some dazzle to this. Then, as the people bow to you for your generous offering of money, use Swift up and outwards, sending a spray of stars out over them. Be sure to look majestic and proud and godly as you do this. When you’re done, jump from the pedestal and return to your temple.

Sunny Day ~ Pay Day ~ Swift

Woah, crap. Okay, quick question: will the terrain chosen have actual physical effects, or is it just pure illusion? For example, if I wanted a nighttime scene, would techniques that require absorbing solar energy still function normally, as the sun is technically still out, just covered up by the illusion?

Sorry about the last-minute-ness; I'll get my appeal in sometime tomorrow, regardless. Welcome back, by the way.

Aaaah I can't think of anything and I forgot about this but here goes. D:

Okay, Shizuka. When you're on a tight schedule and don't have time to mess with finesse, go for complete and utter wanton destruction! The scene: A city at night. Businesses, apartments, maybe a skyscraper or two for good measure, with streets and sidewalks bustling with busy people. One decent-sized business building should be at the rear center of the stage; have a man in a suit walk out the front door, nice and calm, ready to head home after a taxing day at work.

This would be the building I'll release you behind, Shizuka. It will also be the building you will come crashing through with a vicious Dragon Rush, reducing it to rubble instantly. The super-destructive-Rhydon-strength the Pokédex says you have should be more than enough to accomplish this, but to be on the safe side the simulated buildings shouldn't be any stronger than you are able to smash through. Then I want you to pick a nearby building, charge at it and topple it with a Horn Drill; again, this should be simple enough. And make sure you make lots of horrible roaring noises and terrible faces as you do all this (not the moves Roar and Scary Face or anything like that, obviously).

Finally, I want you to stop in the middle of the street, glare at all of the buildings around you, let out one more deafening roar and sink the entire sim-city into the bowels of the earth with Fissure. Or, well, even if it doesn't all sink into the ground, as long as everything is pretty much leveled it's all good. Either way, I want lots of dust, flying debris, shaking earth, screaming sim-people (and hopefully screaming audience) and when you're done with your rampage I don't want that city to exist anymore. Then glare at the audience, snort, smack your tail on the ground and lumber off through the ruins (or lack thereof), ready to move on to the next unsuspecting city.

Of course, people don't usually react calmly to a large animal destroying an entire city single-handedly, so they should panic, run, scream and the whole shebang as soon as you make your grand entrance. I suppose the simulation should have them all escape relatively unscathed by the end, boring as that is, but I have this feeling that the audience will not be as amused as I would if you flatten a little girl or something. :/

Super-awesome-destructive-rhino-kaiju-GO!

Dragon Rush ~ Horn Drill ~ Fissure

Eep. OK, um, here goes.

This is probably gonna look pretty bad but OK~

For the terrain, I'm thinking an ancient Egyptian type scene, the outside of a temple with a staircase flanked by cat statues, with a pedestal that would be short enough for Albus Dumbledork to jump on, and a bunch of people-illusions just kinda… gathered there. Lots of sand and whatnot.

Albus Dumbledork, I want you to come stalking out of the temple door and look down the stairs at the people. Smirk or something, and come walking down, and jump on the pedestal. The moment you get on there, use Rain Dance. Immediately after, use Thunder to strike down the non-believers - kick some ass! Then, as the people bow to you for your generous offering of intense pain, use Water Gun on a random person. Be sure to look majestic and proud and godly as you do this. When you’re done, jump from the pedestal and return to your temple.

Albus Dumbledork: Rain Dance ~ Thunder ~ Water Gun

In the meantime I'm going to take a nap.

Music Dragon himself: Rest + Snore ~ Snore

Last edited:
Woah, crap. Okay, quick question: will the terrain chosen have actual physical effects, or is it just pure illusion? For example, if I wanted a nighttime scene, would techniques that require absorbing solar energy still function normally, as the sun is technically still out, just covered up by the illusion?
The illusion won't be able to block out the actual power of the sun, no, so solar-powered attacks should still work fine even under the cover of "darkness." The arena modifications can include some basic props (i.e. platforms, etc.) that allow a pokémon to interact with an arena feature as though it were solid, as it actually is a solid object, just with an illusion applied on top of it.

So, if you wanted the benefits of rain for your appeal, your pokémon would have to rain dance--you could make the terrain appear rainy, but it wouldn't do anything to, for example, increase thunder's accuracy.

Perfect. Okay, for terrain, I need a simple, ordinary meadow, with a large pond dominating the center, on a dark, moonless night.

Lumiere, you should start off hidden in the dark on the edge of the pond farthest from the audience. I want you to begin by absorbing energy for a Solarbeam - do not release an actual attack, however. Focus the solar energy into your two flowers, just enough to make them glow enough to illuminate you and the area around you. Keep this up as you move out onto the pond and enter into a Rain Dance. Not too energetic - we don’t need a downpour, just a light drizzle for atmosphere. The focus should be on you dancing over the water's surface, occasionally lighting up the grass and flowers at the water’s edge with the light from your petals. Finally, while you’re still dancing, use Hidden Power to send glowing orbs floating out randomly over the meadow, maybe even over the audience if you can manage it without hitting anyone.

When you bring the dance to a close, stand still in the center of the pond. One at a time, let the Hidden Power orbs vanish, then conclude by allowing the solar energy in your flowers to leak away, causing their light to fade out and leaving the arena in darkness once more.

Solarbeam ~ Rain Dance + Hidden Power

Appeal Round Three

Full Metal Cookies and Edward

As the final round of appeals begins, the air above the stage shimmers and ripples as though warped by intense heat. The warping being done however, is only digital, as a large team of porygon-Z works in sync to produce a digitized scene according to Full Metal Cookie's specifications. The audience gasps with delight as a huge Egyptian temple materializes from thin air, the floorboards beneath it turning to sand and sprouting a multitude of quiet human figures gathered outside the building. Between them and the temple's shadowy interior is a large dais, currently unoccupied. For a few moments nothing happens, the simulated crowd remaining silent to allow the real crowd to admire the hieroglyphics and carven pillars standing just outside the temple's doors.

Then, Edward the persian emerges from the shadows, stalking along at an unhurried pace, curled tail swishing gently back and forth behind him. The persian walks to the edge of the staircase leading down from stylobate, then sneers as he catches sight of the crowd. A graceful leap has him standing on the big stone dias, the jewel at the center of his forehead glowing a fierce red as he tosses his head back, shooting a beam of fiery energy into the empty sky overhead. Audiences both simulated and real wait with bated breath, and seconds later the charge of fire energy explodes in the upper atmosphere, creating a powerful second sun that cranks up the temperature in the arena to a true desert swelter. With a sweep of one large paw, Edward sends a shower of glittering golden coins out into the crowd, which reacts admirably but, being insubstantial, is powerless to actually catch any of them. Edward ignores this, tossing another golden spray of fortune into the air before gathering energy in his gem again, causing it to this time glow a dazzling white. A swarm of sparks scatters from the persian's gem, growing as they sail through the air into a flock of glimmering white stars that shoot out across the heads of the fake Egyptians and fade slowly as they approach the real crowd beyond. After a moment striking a noble and magnanimous pose on the dais, Edward turns about and trots lazily back into his temple as the apparitions outside bow in reverence.

Negrek: 8.0

Not a bad appeal; it was certainly appropriate for the pokémon and environment you chose, and you used your attacks in interesting ways. About the only thing I can say is that it just didn't have the pizazz that some of the other entries for this round did.

opaltiger: 8.1

Very catchy and sparkly, but no red thread holding it all together. Still, prettiness counts for something. 8.1

Walker: 7.6

I love the use of Power Gem here. It's a move that I've always thought fit Persian like a glove. My real gripe with this is the low number of coins Pay Day produced, I don't expect it went quite as you meant it to, and it leaves some to be desired. :/

(thanks for the money by the way :3)

Kratos Aurion and Shizuka

The sunlight fades as the scene ripples and shifts again, sand fusing into tarmac and pillars thickening and stretching into buildings in their own right as the temple's facade crumbles, leaving behind a city street lined by upscale clothing and athletic supply stores. As sidewalks disentangle themselves from the swirling sand, parked cars following suit, the simulated humans used in Full Metal Cookies' appeal shrink to match the city's size and start to bustle dutifully along the newly-created street. The sound of car horns and engines fills the air, and cars roll past on a cross street, occasionally threatening a sim-pedestrian who doesn't move aside fast enough. While all might not be tranquil, it is certainly normal enough for a urban road.

Most of the sim-citizens are nattily-dressed businesspeople, out and about on a lunch break or on their way home. From a large office building towards the rear of the stage, beyond the outlet stores, one such worker emerges, briefcase in hand as he peers around at the busy street, perhaps thinking about catching a taxi home. His routine and everyone else's, though, is shattered as a great crash comes from the building he just left, followed by sounds of further destruction as something tears its way through the building's exterior. A dark shape is visible behind the glittering glass windows seconds before Shizuka the rhydon tears her way out onto the sidewalk, scattering glass, mortar, and stray memos in all directions as she bursts out into daylight again. Surrounded by a sheet of rippling green and blue flames, the rhydon staggers as she shoulders her way out of the building--although it fell apart willingly enough before her attack, the illusion has no substance, and Shizuka is a bit thrown off by the fact that the walls that looked so solid as she rushed at them in fact provide no resistance as she shoves her way through them.

The rhydon is only caught off balance for a moment, however. As civilians start to scream and scatter, Shizuka musters her scariest aspect and storms across the road. Behind her, the office building continues to emit periodic shattering noises and puffs of dust as it collapses.

Cars swerve in a desperate attempt to get out of Shizuka's way, creating a huge pileup. One vehicle slams into Shizuka's side, crumpling grotesquely, but the rhydon, who can't feel the illusion at all, doesn't even notice. Breaking into a jog and trampling what sim-people aren't fast enough to get out of her way, she sets her horn spinning with a noise like a bass dentist's drill and crashes full-on into a shoe store, bringing plate-glass windows down and ripping a huge hole in its side. The rhydon drills right through, roaring all the while, and emerges back onto the street in a scattering of name-brand footwear.

As her horn slows to a stop, Shizuka snorts and stomps over a parked car and out into the middle of the street, looking at the now mostly-deserted street around her in clear distaste. Leaping high into the air, she brings both feet down with a blow that rips the pavement wide open with a rending crack (below, the maintenance staff are blanching as a huge hole is ripped in the stage itself). Cars are swallowed by the yawning chasm, and the buildings directly adjacent it topple into the abyss in a cacaphony of crashes and squeals, huge clouds of dust swirling into the air and water bubbling up from a broken main. Farther away, buildings are merely rocked and rattled, a couple collapsing, and glass explodes out of windows with sounds like gunshots.

The last tremors fade and Shizuka is left standing more or less alone amidst the destruction. A few sim-survivors pick their way cautiously through the rubble, but Shizuka ignores them as she looks around, snorts, bangs her tail on the ground, and finally turns to saunter off the stage, disappearing rapidly behind the remaining buildings.

Negrek: 9.0

I have to admit, I was very confused by the scale of the environment with relation to Shizuka. It seems to me that it would be difficult to create a real "city" feel given only a stage's worth of room to work with, as you'd probably not even be able to fit a single good-sized building there. At the same time, scaling the city down too much would mean that a lot of the scene would be lost on the audience, as it'd need to be *quite* small, and spectators would be looking at it from a considerable distance... but then to be able to sink the entire thing with a single fissure? In the end I kind of settled for scaling down the buildings to maybe half their original size, which meant that Shizuka nearly came up to the roofs on some of the smaller ones, and the sim-people were maybe knee-height to her. Even so, though, she wouldn't be able to bring down the entire place with just one fissure attack--certainly not without sending herself plummeting into oblivion at the same time. I did think that it was an entertaining appeal, reminiscent of the quintessential "monster movie" that I'm sure you were going for. Given spacial constraints, though, Shizuka couldn't illustrate a proper rampage, confined as she was to a single street.

opaltiger: 9.4

whoo Godzilla appeal ftw.

Walker: 9.5

Okay, let me just get this of my chest right now: DINO RAMPAAAGE!
...okay now that that's out of the way let me just say this: this was an amazing use of both Rhydon's monstrous appearance and the arena you chose.

Music Dragon and Albus Dumbledork

From the dust and ashes left by Shizuka's appeal rises a huge stone monument, a great building that the audience feels that they've seen before--or wait, have they? Debris melt away into drifts of sand and the hazy atmosphere clears to reveal a piercingly blue sky overhead. The ragged band of surivors hurries to the front of the stage, melting into tanned egyptian commoners as they go. Once more a crowd assembles outside the temple--a temple that the real audience is surprised to find themselves returning to.

After a few moments a pokémon emerges from the gloom within the building. This time, though, it isn't a persian that approaches, but rather a dratini, inching his way along the dusty stones on his way to meet the crowd. Lacking the anatomy to put on a proper stalk, Albus Dumbledork instead wriggles as sternly as he can, face grim as he peers out over the edge of the temple's rim at the people below. Gathering himself, he makes a flying leap out onto the dais. Upon landing he moves immediately into a frenetic dance, twisting and writhing back and forth across the ample platform as he calls the weather itself to his aid.

As Albus' dance winds down, dark clouds gather overhead, and scattered raindrops fall over the crowd. Within moments, a positive downpour has started, the temple flickering and shimmering with the interference of water falling through its curtain of illusion. Albus Dumbledork pays this no mind, however, instead rearing up as high as he can, ears twitching as he sends an electrical charge racing up to the clouds. Moments later, there is a flash and a deafening roar as a thick pillar of lightning slams down out of the heavens, scorching a hole through the ranks of the illusory citizenry and leaving those yet remaining to edge away nervously. With Albus Dumbledork's grave eye upon them, however, the citizenry switch to hurried supplication. As the real human audience tentatively removes their hands from their ears and blinks the afterimages out of their vision, they catch sight of the dratini turning to one of the illusions that had annoyed him particularly and unloading a powerful jet of water at it, causing it to fizzle out of existence.

His work--and appeal--done, the dratini gives a haughty sniff and then turns tail, jumping down from the dais and inching back into the shadows of his temple.

Negrek: 8.3

A very cute parody of FMC's appeal, and with quite the unlikely (given the circumstances) protagonist. An interesting example of creativity via copypasta, but unfortunately one that suffered from the same problems as the appeal after which it was modeled.

opaltiger: 8.6

Although it isn't the most original appeal, the setting certainly lent it a little something (although a Greek temple would have been more fitting).

Walker: 6.5

Watching the illusory crowd cowering in fear from a Dratini was amusing, although the reused arena and the rain going through the illusion kinda ruined it for me, sorry. :[

Chiropter and Lumiere

The shadowy interior of Albus Dumbledork's temple expands, the walls around it falling away as a wave of darkness sweeps out encompass the entire stage and the crowd beyond, stretching away to form a solid black dome overhead on which digital stars start to twinkle. The wet desert sand sprouts tall grass and wildflowers, a shallow pond forming in its center as the crowd summoned by the dratini melts away. At last the rain ends, leaving the stage quiet and peaceful beneath a clear, dark sky. Unbeknownst to the audience, Lumiere is taking up a spot on the far side of the pond, his movements hidden by the tall grass.

Raising his roses, Lumiere draws in the power of the sun, still present but invisible within the influence of porygon-Z's digital wizardry. The crowd watches, a little confused, as the small spots of light grow larger and more intense, throwing a golden glow out into the air until the pokémon causing it is visible. Illuminated by his own attack, Lumiere continues gathering power as he steps out onto the surface of the pond, an illusion made possible by a solid platform covered in the appearance of a pond. The crowd gasps appreciatively as Lumiere starts to dance across the water, a dance similar to the one that Albus performed earlier but much more sedate. The roselia sweeps and twirls across the pond, the light cast by his rose hands and reflected in the water only growing brighter as the rain dance progresses. Soon a gentle drizzle begins to fall, pattering quietly into the pond around the roselia, and Lumiere shifts his focus to his final attack.

As he continues to sway and twirl, Luimiere sends orbs of pure energy swirling out from his body. They spiral crazily through the air like rogue blue fireflies, their erratic paths reflected in the rippling surface of the pond and their faint light flashing across grass and flowers as they spin ever outward. Most fade by the time they reach the stands, but some fizzle quietly out as they strike the barrier of energy dividing fans from the action. Lumiere continues in this way, dancing and spinning off hidden power, for as long as he can before his solar beam attack becomes too powerful to contain. The solar energy that Lumiere has been collecting has to go somewhere; he can't hold it in forever. By this point the light from his flowers is so intense that its glare nearly blocks him from view; the act of holding the attack in is almost painful. Breaking off his dance and his hidden power attack, Lumiere leans away from his flowers and presses his eyes shut, trying to control the release of solar power.

There is a brilliant flash and loud sizzling noise as the solar beam discharges messily, not as a beam but as an amorphous wave of energy. For a moment the stage is lost in a burst of intense heat and light that forces spectators to shield their eyes. When it clears, Lumiere is left standing in the middle of the pond, the grass all around it bent outward. Though he looks quite winded, and perhaps a little scorched, the roselia gamely gives a bow that is only barely visible in the darkness before hurrying off the stage.

Negrek: 9.5

Solarbeam isn't really the kind of attack you can just let go quietly; something like flash might have been a better choice for providing illumination without the danger of blowing stuff up. For the most part, though, the appeal worked beautifully, and both the environment you chose and the moves selected took advantage both of the illusion to great effect. A fine appeal with which to end this portion of the contest.

opaltiger: 8.9

Very grand. I liked the setting, and the appeal worked well enough (don't know about the Rain Dance, though; didn't do very much). Still, some nice images (jesus appeal!).

I am speechless. :V

Once Lumiere leaves the stage, the illusion of night melts away, sunlight gradually flooding back into the arena as the Porygon-Z power down for the moment. The plain stage reappears, although it shows signs of extremely recent patching in the form of several unpainted boards hastily nailed across a ragged hole down its center. The audience largely doesn't pay this any attention, being far more preoccupied with the large scoreboard on the wall behind. The judges are conferring, and soon the scores for the final appeal round will be announced.

After a short while, the screen flickers to life, and the contest hall fills with cheers as the audience reads through the numbers.

Chiropter: 28.4
Kratos Aurion: 27.9
--
Full Metal Cookies: 23.7
Music Dragon: 23.4​

Congratulations to Kratos Aurion and Chiropter, who will be advancing to the battle round! And let's have a round of applause for third-place winner Full Metal Cookies, who wins the $15 prize. Many thanks to Walker and opaltiger for providing their time to judge the appeals; each of them may claim $10 for doing so.

And now, the final stage of this (previous) year's Grand Festival! As Chiropter scored the most points, the stage will be redone according to the environment he used for Lumiere's appeal: nighttime in a lush meadow, with a shallow pond at the arena's center. Note that this terrain is only an illusion, meaning that there is no actual water available on the stage and the sun is still considered to be out (but at standard, not "sunny day," strength). Chiropter chooses either Dolce or Lumiere to use, then Kratos Aurion picks either Shizuka or Don Quixote and attacks. Once Chiropter posts his attacks, the battle stage will begin.

Excellent job, Lumiere! The ending was a bit more, um, explosiony than we were going for - sorry about that - but it seemed to work out all right, considering.

So, on that note... I'm going to have you take a break and let Dolce finish this up. You can stay out and watch, if you want.

Hmm, well. Dolce has a type-advantage over both of you, unfortunately, but since there isn't any real water she's going to have one hell of a time moving around. So... I'll use Don Quixote (male, Flash Fire, lalala you both know this already).

Um so let's see. Start off with Safeguard, as Lapras can inflict tons of nasty status conditions that could really screw us over in the long run. Since you're much faster than she is, setting it up shouldn't be a problem. Next, ah... use Attract, okay? I know, I know, you've promised your heart to Dulcinea, but she won't mind. You're in this contest to win a pretty ribbon for your lady, after all, and if it means bewitching an evil siren Dolce before she can get to you then so be it. Captivate her while you're at it, too. (I mean, you're just that good-looking, suave and muy caliente, mi amigo.)

Should Dolce use Safeguard herself or anything else that looks like it'll get in the way of Attract or captivate, replace Attract with Hidden Power and Captivate with Dragon Pulse.

Safeguard ~ Attract/Hidden Power ~ Captivate/Dragon Pulse

(Why are the definitions for chain and sacrificial contest-type moves missing from the attack guide?)

Hrm. Well, Dolce, I know you’re far too smart to be taken in by that pretty-boy’s superficial charms, but just to be on the safe side, begin with a Safeguard-Mist combo (if that’s even possible; just use them one after the other if not). After that, fire off a Hydro Pump, but not to attack - I need you to spray water all over the arena, getting everything nice and wet (though if you can damage Don Quixote some in the process, that’d be good too).

Safeguard + Mist ~ Hydro Pump

As the eliminated coordinators take one last bow before clearing the stage, the crowd gives an enthusiastic ovation. It is nothing, though, compared to the applause that erupts when the remaining two contestants, Kratos Aurion and Chiropter, take up places opposite one another on either end of the stage. As they do so, grass and wildflowers spring up beneath their feet, blackness drawing across the sky overhead like a curtain and cutting off the glare of the sun. As a pond forms at the stage's center, stars wink on in the flat, blank plane of the sky overhead. The announcer calls for both trainers to send out their pokémon, and the crowd murmurs as people speculate which pokémon each trainer will pick. They needn't wait long to see whose prediction was most accurate; Chiropter barely hesitates before retrieving a pokéball from his pocket and tossing it out over the field, where it bursts open in a flash made even more dazzling by the fact that it is suddenly so dark. Dolce the lapras takes shape in the pond--or rather on it, for as before, there is no actual water present, and Dolce appears to be settled squarely amidst the stars reflected in its surface. Shortly thereafter, Kratos Aurion sends out a pokémon of his own, Don Quixote taking shape knee-deep in simulated grass and staying far away from the pond, fake though it may be. The announcer's call for the battle to begin is easily drowned out by the roar of the crowd, and the pokémon wait impatiently for their commands.

Round One

Chiropter (O)
lapras
Dolce (F)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Nervousness: 5%
- Serene despite the presence of an audience.

Don Quixote (O)
arcanine
Don Quixote (M)
Energy: 100%
- Excited, though rather suspicious of the not-water around his opponent.

The crowd oohs appreciatively as dancing green flames leap up around Don Quixote's body, illuminating him enough that the audience can see what he's doing at last. Dolce receives a similar response when she mirrors the arcanine's choice of attacks, both pokémon's safeguard auras clearly visible in the dark environment. The crowd is even more delighted, though, when Dolce opens her mouth and spews a cloud of white mist from her mouth while preparing safeguard. The green glow of the defensive attack lights the entire cloud a glittering green, entrancing the spectators until they realize, as the mist spreads out and grows denser, that soon they won't be able to see what's going on at all.

Fortunately, the mist attack doesn't spread so far that it engulfs Don Quixote as well, so the crowd can see him perfectly well as he crouches, his fur waving as if stirred by a faint wind. He flickers in and out of view, as though he's about to perform another teleport attack, until the technique is better resolved and the crowd realizes he's merely being circled by blobs of black energy. The orbs start to orbit faster and faster, Don Quixote flickering as though seen in the middle of a cloud of locusts, before the arcanine throws back his head and howls, letting blobs of energy shoot away from him in all directions. Several punch through the faintly green-glowing mist and, though whether they hit or not can't be seen and Dolce makes no sound, Don Quixote's keen ears pick up the faint sound of the attack smacking into the lapras' side and grins.

His happiness is short-lived, though, as a huge column of water comes roaring out of the cloud of mist, slamming into the stage near him with an angry hiss. The arcanine darts to the side as the hydro pump moves slowly in his direction, leaving a trail of flattened, soaked grass in its wake. Don Quixote is forced to run into the mist as the hydrop pump continues to move, soaking a wide swath of the stage. For a few seconds all the crowd can see is the frantic swirling of the mist and the hydro pump moving implacably across the stage. As soon as the water attack vanishes, however, after traveling almost 180 degrees from its starting point, Don Quixote bursts out into the open again, trailing scraps of coiling mist. Squinting back the way he came, he gathers a ball of swirling green and red flames in his mouth before sending it ripping back through the curtain of fog. This time, Dolce can't suppress a cry of pain. Though Don Quixote is just as pleased as before, he at least makes it less obvious this time--he'd rather not chance getting hit by another one of those hydro pumps.

Chiropter (O)
lapras
Dolce (F)
Health: 84%
Energy: 84%
- Shrouded in a curtain of mist but not feeling too secure. Protected by safeguard (2 more actions).

Don Quixote (O)
arcanine
Don Quixote (M)
Energy: 89%
Nervousness: 15%
- Feeling a bit nervous and displeased by the fact that he can't really see his opponent. Protected by safeguard (2 more actions).

Terrain Notes
A cloud of mist obscures Dolce near the center of the arena. The mist is starting to fade, however, and it is now possible to catch the occasional glimpse of the lapras as the mist swirls and churns. A broad trail of water cuts a wide arc along the front of the stage, making the boards slippery.

Final Notes
- Is Dolce's ability shell armor or water absorb?
- Don Quixote's hidden power type is dark.
- Hydro pump missed Don Quixote but succeeded in soaking a large portion of the stage. Don Quixote had to use a little energy to run away from it.
- Chiropter attacks first next round.
- And those move definitions are missing because I lost all of the non-move text of the attack guide, so I had to try and find all the different classes to include when I rewrote it. I'm not really surprised I missed some. It's fixed now, anyway.

(Dolce’s ability is Water Absorb. Which will be incredibly useful here, obviously.)

Well, Dolce, all that water on the stage there looks like it’s just asking to be frozen, I think. To that end, shoot an Ice Beam all over the floor, and get as much of it coated under ice as you can. Voila! A perfect way for you to actually move around the stage! (I’m assuming that, being an Ice-type, you’ll have better control than most when sliding along ice.) Now, take advantage of your newfound mobility and begin a Dragon Dance; use Perish Song at the same time for creepy effect (a bit of a risk there, I know, but I think it’ll pay off in the end).

Ice Beam@wet stage floor ~ Dragon Dance + Perish Song

Uh well I'm not sure I see the point of Perish Song as the match will be over the same round it kicks in anyway but okay! We can work with this. We're simply going to have to make sure we totally upstage Dolce, then, so in the event that both of you do faint you'll have a higher contest score and win anyway. >D

Hmm. I am assuming that combo means Dolce will be doing nothing on the third action instead of doing nothing on the second, so let's see. Start off by chilling. Dolce isn't attacking you anyway, so there's no harm in ignoring her. Just relax there and sneer disdainfully at her futile attempts to take advantage of all the water she made a sloppy mess with. Next, when she does her song-and-dance routine, I want you to wait for her to finish and then Mimic Dragon Dance. Just be sure you do all your dancing somewhere that isn't totally covered in ice; you'll look very silly if you slip, after all. If you don't think you can mimic just the one move out of the combo then Howl loudly as she's singing and dancing instead of waiting. Your safeguards will have dropped by the end of the action, so take advantage of that and Attract her while she sits there and does nothing all boring-like. (All in the name of winning the ribbon for Dulcinea, remember?)

Chill ~ wait and Mimic (Dragon Dance)/Howl and drown out Perish Song ~ Attract

Round Two

Chiropter (O)
lapras
Dolce (F)
Energy: 84%
- Shrouded in a curtain of mist but not feeling too secure. Protected by safeguard (2 more actions).

Don Quixote (O)
arcanine
Don Quixote (M)
Energy: 89%
- Feeling a bit nervous and displeased by the fact that he can't really see his opponent. Protected by safeguard (2 more actions).

Though he keeps his eyes trained firmly on the wall of white mist, Don Quixote allows himself to sink to the damp surface of the stage. It's not the most comfortable bedding for a fire-type, and the knowledge that his opponent could be up to anything in the cloud of mist, plus the audience's unwavering attention, make it a bit difficult for Don Quixote to relax. Nevertheless, he does his best, putting his head on his paws and taking deep breaths until he slips into a sort of trance--one almost deep enough for him to ignore a persistent crackling coming from within the mist. The haze continues to disperse, and Don Quixote thinks he can vaguely see Dulce's form silhouetted near its center--and a brilliant column of energy jetting from her mouth and towards the wet floor.

The stage beneath Don Quixote's stomach goes cold as the ice beam swings in his direction, freezing a thin sheet of ice over the wood as it goes. The ice beam doesn't pass close enough to actually freeze the water around him, but Don Quixote nevertheless shivers as the icy attack sweeps past.

He gets slowly to his feet, giving himself a good shake to shed the damp clinging to the fur on his legs and stomach. All the while the arcanine watches the Lapras in the mist. It looks as though she's finished her ice beam attack, and moments later she pulls herself forward onto the veneer of ice coating the center of the stage and starts thrashing around wildly. Don Quixote grumbles and squints, trying to see what exactly the lapras is doing, but her frenzied movements have set the mist a-swirling again, obscuring her movements, and the arcanine finds it impossible to tell exactly how the lapras' dance goes. Meanwhile, a low, haunting melody is drifting through the air, growing stronger with every passing second. Recognizing the dissonant tune, Don Quixote tips back his head and lets out the loudest howl he can muster, so loud he fancies it might rattle the audience's seats. Nevertheless, the perish song continues to pulse around the howl, distorting it into more of a sinister wail and flowing on unheeding of the arcanine's efforts to drown it out. Ultimately, the perish song continues for much longer than Don Quixote has the breath to keep up his howl, and as he subsides, gasping, it only crescendos, the dirgelike tune roaring out over the stage. Its plodding melody is in sharp contrast to Dolce's frenzied dance, which sends her skidding back and forth across the ice without apparent rhyme or reason, glowing a faint orange as ancient spirits lend her strength. The green light of safeguard that had previously surrounded her, though, soon fades out to nothing, as does Don Quixote's, leaving both pokémon exposed to the dangers of status once again.

At last the awful song comes to an end and Dulce glides to a halt, winded but quite pleased with her attack. Though a few last wisps of mist cling to the perimeter of the arena, the air is mostly clear, and the faint echoes of perish song yet linger.

Don Quixote glowers for a moment, remembering what he has been asked to do next, but swallows his pride and puts on a suave grin for Dulce. Initially the lapras is suspicious as the arcanine approaches her, treading carefully across the ice, but her worries are soon dissolved as the arcanine puts on his best chivalrous act, murmuring sweet nothings to the lapras and positively oozing charm. Despite herself, Dulce is a little taken in, and returns Don Quixote's grin with a shy smile of her own, blushing a little beneath his gaze.

Chiropter (O)
lapras
Dolce (F)
Energy: 74%
- Smiling shyly at Don Quixote. A little tired. Attracted to Don Quixote (severe). +1 Attack, +1 Speed

Don Quixote (O)
arcanine
Don Quixote (M)
Energy: 94%
Nervousness: 25%
- Uncomfortable beneath the crowd's eyes, but in excellent shape. Attack +1

Terrain Notes
The wet boards have been coated with a thin layer of ice in a broad arc around the middle of the stage; a puddle extends out beyond the ice and almost to the edge of the stage. Meanwhile, the air is filled with the nagging feeling of a half-heard melody (perish song, three more rounds).

Final Notes
- Howl disrupted Dulce's perish song attack but wasn't enough to actually prevent it from working. It did, however, reduce the points earned for the combo.
- Kratos Aurion attacks first next round.

Mm, well, Don, I didn't expect you to stop Perish Song; even a little disruption is okay by me. And as I said, the match will be over by the time it matters anyway. Well done.

Okay, so she's really into you now. Hopefully that'll keep her from doing anything and earn some nice boos and hisses from the audience, but to be on the safe side I want you to start with another Safeguard. And then, uh... hm, why don't you melt all that nasty, slippery ice all over the field with Heat Wave? I mean, you don't want her to slip and make a fool of herself in front of the audience, do you? Of course, you'll hit Dolce, too, but surely a little extra warmth is a small price to pay if it will save her an embarassing slide later on. Then, if enough of the ice has melted and you don't think you'll slip yourself, end with Double Team; if not, try Captivating her instead.

Safeguard ~ Heat Wave ~ Double Team/Captivate

Well, Dolce, in the interest of stopping another of my battles from transforming into a soap opera, I have to ask you to remember that the object of your affections over there has done nothing for you but look pretty and talk sweetly, whereas I, the person giving you orders, have been known to consistently provide you with food. Do you see what I’m getting at here?

Realistically, of course, I know that you’re unlikely to snap out of it by the first action, so why don’t you start off by Tickling him a little? (I really, really hate myself right now.) I’m sure he’ll like that, so you don’t have to feel guilty about hurting him or anything.

Shortly after that, Don Quixote will attack you with gratuitous amounts of fiery flaming fire. This will hopefully awaken you to the fact that he is, in fact, PURE EVIL, and you should thereafter have no problem with messing up that Double Team with Foresight.

Three possible situations after that: if he tries to use Double Team and fails, hit him with a Façade; if for some reason Double Team was successful, use Hail; if he tries to Captivate you, Protect.

and shoot an ice beam at ryousuke when he pops in

Tickle ~ Foresight ~ Façade/Hail/Protect

Round Three

Chiropter (O)
lapras
Dolce (F)
Energy: 74%
- Smiling shyly at Don Quixote. A little tired. Attracted to Don Quixote (severe). +1 Attack, +1 Speed

Don Quixote (O)
arcanine
Don Quixote (M)
Energy: 94%
Nervousness: 25%
- Uncomfortable beneath the crowd's eyes, but in excellent shape. Attack +1

Don Quixote tries to hide a grimace as he looks at the sappy expression on Dolce's face. He's hardly proud of using his manly charm to gain an advantage over a woman, even if she is an opponent--perhaps especially so. Just as he starts concentrating on producing the energy barrier that constitutes safeguard, though, he is distracted by a loud, vulgar sucking noise. Turning around, Don Quixote is shocked by the vision of his teammate, Ryousuke, tumbling unceremoniously through the air to land with a crash on the floorboards just in front of the arcanine. Don Quixote stares in open amazement at his winded teammate--just what does Ryousuke think he's doing, dropping in at a time like this? How did he even get here, anyway?

To make matters worse, the battered lucario raises a paw and gives Don Quixote a little wave and a weak smile. While the people in the audience find this unconditionally hilarious, Don Quixote favors Ryousuke with a glare, deeply shamed by the fact that he's now been connected with the stupid lucario. Before he can give Ryousuke the fiery welcome he deserves, though, the lucario vanishes with a distinct popping noise, leaving Don Quixote to stare blankly at the place he disappeared from for several seconds.

As soon as he turns back to his opponent, the arcanine finds that she has been creeping up on him while his back was turned and is now barely two feet away, sliding quietly across the ice. As soon as she sees Don Quixote's eyes on her, the lapras lets out a delighted gurgle and pounces--a terrifying prospect in and of itself, given her girth. Don Quixote lets out a startled yelp as Dolce knocks him over, and then, worse, starts prodding him with the tips of her flippers. The arcanine does his best to suppress his giggles, but he is in fact ticklish and it is not long before he is squirming and howling with laughter beneath the lapras' attack.

At last he manages to pull himself away from Dolce, a bit unsteady in gait and still wracked by giggles. As he starts to regain control of himself, though, mirth is replaced with crushing embarrassment. Any dignity that the arcanine might have claimed is now utterly destroyed. By now his safeguard is long forgotten, and Don Quixote cowers before the eyes of the crowd, wishing he could get warped somewhere else as Ryousuke must have been.

Dolce, meanwhile, burbles and slides a little closer to Don Quixote. Didn't he enjoy her tickling? She'd be happy to continue. As Don Quixote looks into the lapras' vacuously grinning face, his shame is transformed almost immediately into anger. He'll put a stop to all this nonsense here and now. Dolce pauses, confused, as Don Quixote straightens up, his fur rippling slightly as though tousled by a gentle breeze. The arcanine's eyes glow a deep red as he tilts his head back, and when he lowers it again, mouth wide open, it is to release an incredible blast of heat. Dolce cries out and attempts to cover her face with her flippers as the blast of searing wind washes over her, but it does little good. All around her, ice melts and flashes into steam almost as fast, the air filling with a loud sizzling sound as all moisture is burned out off the stage. While the illusionary grass that covers the boards sways and dances realistically in the wind, none of it manages to catch fire.

When Don Quixote's jaws snap shut again, Dolce raises her head slowly, wincing as her parched and irritated skin protests. She looks on Don Quixote with remorse, quiet now and trying to ask him what she's done to earn his displeasure with only her eyes. The arcanine turns away with a grunt, avoiding the lapras' gaze, and starts to run around the arena in circles, a look of grim determination on his face. Dolce tries to keep up with his movements, but only succeeds in making herself dizzy as the arcanine accelerates, becoming an indistinct red and black blur as he circles the arena. When at last he slows down again, he is accompanied by three more arcanine that follow his every move, hiding him in their midst. Dolce looks between them and lets out an unhappy trill, unable to tell which is Don Quixote and wondering why the arcanine is being so cruel to her. The sad perish song rings in her ears, and Don Quixote pauses and pricks up his ears as he, too, catches the eerie melody on the air as it grows noticeably louder.

Chiropter (O)
lapras
Dolce (F)
Health: 71%
Energy: 70%
- Singed and unhappy. Attracted to Don Quixote (moderate). +1 Attack, +1 Speed

Don Quixote (O)
arcanine
Don Quixote (M)
Energy: 87%
Nervousness: 0%
- Angry with himself, but a little less self-conscious now. Has three clones. -1 Defense

Terrain Notes
Water and ice have been burned away, leaving the stage more or less in the state it was at the beginning of the battle. Meanwhile, the air is filled with the nagging feeling of a half-heard melody that is slowly growing louder (perish song, two more rounds).

Final Notes
- Chiropter attacks first next round.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom