• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Fanfic Reading Suggestions?

Phantom

Uh, I didn't do it.
Know any good fanfics that you'd like to share? Any fandom, but I love to read fanfiction, and sometimes it can be hard to find the real jewels, because not all the time they are the most popular ones. You never know.

Anything by Cat Bountry.

She does mostly TF2 stuff, and the "Apologies" fics are my favourites, and Surrogate. Respawn of the Dead is probably her most famous one, though.

They tend to be pretty screwy though, gore and mindfuck, that kind of thing. They're amazing.

Pokémon:
Silver Resistance -- This fic changed my life. I honestly don't know what my mental state'd be like had I not stumbled upon this and started my journey of self-discovery. 457k words so far, at the halfway point.
Innocence -- A tear jerker. Less than 2000 words.

MLP:FiM:
Background Pony -- If you haven't already, read this now. This is what got me into the herd. Prose is on the purple side and the pseudo-philosophical ramblings are really hard, but... it's spectacular. As I commented, "I swear, Background Pony will be required freshman English reading once it becomes published and inevitably transcends all forms of literature to be immortalized as the defining work of art of humanity." 240k words, 60% complete.
End of Ponies -- don't even try to not read this. 506k words so far, currently on haitus
Naked Singularity -- Oh the puns! This had me laughing all the way through. 11k words.
Somewhere Only We Know -- This is beyond just sad, and beyond just ponies. 4700 words.
Wild, Sweet & Cool -- Really well-written, and I learned quite a lot about flying in this! 35k words.
Eternal -- A story on immortality. 160k words.
Yours Truly -- A series of letters that focuses on Applejack x Twilight. Non-explicit. 19k words.
Princess Celestia Hates Tea -- So much tasteful humour. 7800 words.

Aside from stuff that's already been mentioned:

Foregone Conclusion by elyvorg. It's about fake prehistoric Grovyle alternate evolutions, genocide, and how characters try to deal with the accompanying horror. It is ridiculously heartbreaking and its characters are adorable. It is a spin-off of Lost Evolution, also by elyvorg, but you're no better off having read that first; it just means you won't be spoiled for the ending. (Lost Evolution itself is good too, though it's older and shakier at the beginning and it's not complete.)

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Eliezer Yudkowsky. You should be warned that it's not very in-character, since its premise is that it's an alternate universe where the characters, especially Harry and Professor Quirrell, are way smarter than they were in canon, and other characters are reinterpreted in various ways. Try to look past that; just think of them as being different characters altogether. It's pretty hilarious, it does very fun things with the wizarding world, it doesn't shy away from real, difficult moral questions and issues, and the plot is mindboggling. And overall it's just fun to read.

Early on, Harry does a lot of being the most rational person around and can feel pretty Stuish as a result (there is a bit where he first meets Hermione that's all demonstrating how much more he gets science than she does, which was kind of cringe-inducing), but later he starts losing pretty hard, he's not always right, a bunch of other even smarter characters appear who often disagree completely with what he does (and Hermione blessingly gets the hang of it quickly) and things become generally complex and epic and great. Some people just find it annoyingly preachy, because it is partly intended to showcase princples of rational thinking, point out biases, etc., but because the storyline and characterization take the front seat and things are not portrayed in a black-and-white light, I don't think it hurts it, at least not later on.

Can't recommend Anima Ex Machina by Jax enough. It's got aliens, it's got pokémon, it's got action, it's got violence and other potentially gory stuff relating to aliens, pokémon and action, it's got a helluvalot of worldbuilding detail and it can't decide whether it's srs bsns or a cracky celebration of everything B-movie sci-fi. Not to mention some really great treatment of Pokémon characters that most people tend to forget (or mangle). It stars Bill, for example. But also aliens. I hope you can appreciate why this is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

...and in fetching the link I just noticed that a new chapter went up yesterday, so brb reading you totes should too.

While we're on the subject of Jax, there's also Mary Sue Must Die!, which, while only three or so chapters in thus far, is looking like a really refreshing take on the usual trainerfic/journeyfic parody. She's trying a sort of Douglas Adams-esque style in this, which only helps.

And, apparently, anything ever written by one "Breezy" on SPPF. I think her most recent is a one-shot called Option Other, but she's done a lot more, both chapterfic and one-shot; the relatively-recently-completed Lull is supposed to be excellent. I've only read some of the one-shots so far, but I adore what I've seen and everyone else raves about her, so I would assume her work is worth investigating in more detail.

Foregone Conclusion by elyvorg. It's about fake prehistoric Grovyle alternate evolutions, genocide, and how characters try to deal with the accompanying horror. It is ridiculously heartbreaking and its characters are adorable. It is a spin-off of Lost Evolution, also by elyvorg, but you're no better off having read that first; it just means you won't be spoiled for the ending. (Lost Evolution itself is good too, though it's older and shakier at the beginning and it's not complete.)

Oh my god this really is amazing. Stayed up until 4 AM to finish it, and now I can't stop thinking about it. Literally.

EDIT: I really am too obsessed the fic. Went to get new glasses, was pondering about whether the Pokémon were affected by near sightedness. Listened to Still Alive and wondered what a character would sing to another if she had the chance. Was thinking about mountains and how they would be beneficial to Archopy survival. asdf

Anyway here's a few more from other fandoms.

Metroid IV: Alone in the Stars (Novelisation of Metroid Fusion)

One Last Smash (Story about events after Super Smash Bros. Melee)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom