• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Names for the UK - ah, which to use?

Drifloon Rocks

Honey, please don't eat the rancid dung.
I'm an American and have wondered this for quite some time now.

What's the deal with England, The United Kingdom, and Great Brittan. Which is it? Why are there three different names? What is the actual name of the country?

Please answer this for me. I know that many people here are English/British/etc. Thanks in advance!

Re: I have a simple question...

The United Kingdom is made up of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. As far as I know, Great Britain is the name of the large island.

Edit: Wait, Christ, you're old enough to work but you don't even know this?

I know I'm not British, but this is what I have learned:

England is England. Home of the original English speakers.

Great Britain refers to the island England, Wales, and Scotland are on.

The United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) refers to Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the country's full name and to be honest if you're not a complete twat that explains it.

By the way, if you're unsure of a UK person's nationality do /not/ call them British. If they're Scottish they're likely to get uppity and spend three hours viciously detailing how much Britain sucks because it has England on it.

By the way, if you're unsure of a UK person's nationality do /not/ call them British. If they're Scottish they're likely to get uppity and spend three hours viciously detailing how much Britain sucks because it has England on it.

I would just go, "Um, I am unsure of your nationality. Can you tell me what it is?"

Would that, by any chance, still launch the same rant?

Edit: Wait, Christ, you're old enough to work but you don't even know this?

I actually wouldn't lay fault. Try asking people to find Austria on an unmarked map. Geography isn't really focused on.

So tell me, Tailsy, are you technically then British?

Rrrrrrrrrrr.....

Rant coming. Please stopd me.

*Refrains*

England=/=Britain. I hate it so much, it makes me furious when I hear people referring to Britain or the UK as 'England', because it's not and it never has been.

Don't apologise, because it's not your fault, it's an easy mistake.

But England is part of Britain, and thus is Britain. It would make sense for any part of Great Britain to be called Britain. They all suck though.

What I aws referring to is people referring to Britain or the UK as a whole as England.

England = best country in the world

Great Britain = England plus Scotland and Wales. the big island basically.

United Kingdom = the above 3 plus Northern Ireland.

er english/scottish/welsh accents are not that hard to tell apart

England = best country in the world

Pretty much it.

nah j/k Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are pretty bitchin' too.

Since everyone else explained it I'll just say
I don't like being referred to as British. England is still a, y'know COUNTRY. So I'm English D| All of my relatives are from England, no where else except maybe Sweden at some point wayway back B|

er english/scottish/welsh accents are not that hard to tell apart

Well, I'd say my nationality is more Scottish than English, but I still have an English accent because we moved here seven years ago. And your average North American I don't think would recognise a Welsh accent. Possibly a Scottish one, but they might just lump them together and think they're different counties' accents or something.

...well it happened to me

Uh... seeing as the query's cleared up I'll just say that although you say the United Kingdom is the entire... er, big place, you'd say 'British person', since you don't say 'United Kingdomian'. So that could be partly why you got confused or something.

So I've been right:
England = Country.
Britain = Big Island.
UK = Big Island + Northern Ireland.

Wait what happened to Southern Ireland? Is Southern Ireland just Ireland? I know there was a problem involving religion with North and South Ireland but I thought they were all part of the big happy UK. D: Guess not.

Back
Top Bottom