• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Alliances Mafia: An Experimental Alternate Mafia

Autumn

bye
Pronoun
she
Yes, I know I'm already trying to fill up the Warrior Cats Mafia - I can run two Mafia at once; I'm not doing anything for a while. (Well except going to the beach for a week but hey I have a laptop now haha!)

As the title indicates, this is a purely experimental Mafia that I think could be really enthralling if it's done right.

There are several things that separate this from a normal Mafia:
1) There are no Mafia. Rather, all the players are on the same side.
2) There are only two roles: killer and healer. Half the players are killers, half are healers.
3) Healer clashes are not a thing. If half the players are healers, it would be all too easy for everyone to get wiped out immediately.
4) Out of thread communication is not only allowed, but expressly encouraged. Here's the thing: The goal of the game is to form alliances with other players. If you get to the end of the game and your alliance is the only one left standing, you win the game (though only if you're alive when the game ends).
5) There will be a few players - some killers, some healers - that, when they receive their role PM, are told that they are only in it for themselves. That is to say, they can form or join alliances, but if they get to the end of the game and their alliance is the only one left, they proceed to kill the members of their alliance and win the game for themselves. If there are two or more "selfish" members in the same alliance and they are alive at the end of the game, they lose, and the rest of the alliance wins.
6) Once I close sign-ups and see how many people are signed up, I will determine a minimum number of alliances (so that there is not one large trust dominating the entire game) and a maximum number of people per alliance based on the number of players.
7) At the end of each night, a member of each alliance will have to PM me and tell me who is in their alliance, just so I can be aware so I know when to end the game.
8) Being a spy is allowed. If you are part of Team Red, but want to spy on Team Blue, you can tell the Team Blue members you are part of their alliance (as long as you do not exceed the limit of members per alliance) and thus communicate with both. I do expect, then, a PM saying "I'm aligned with Team Red but spying on Team Blue." The reason for this is because, if Team Blue is the last alliance standing and you are alive, then you lose because your loyalty is to Team Red, and I need to know to state that. However, you can only spy on one other alliance at a time.
9) Switching alliances, going from alliance to solo, kicking people out of alliances, and killing fellow alliance members are all allowed. Just make sure you inform me if one of the former three happen.
10) You can be a Lone Ranger if you so choose. Lone Rangers do not count toward the minimum number of alliances. However, again, alliances are encouraged.
11) When a player dies, their alliance is revealed. You can come up with a name for your alliance or you can just leave it Alliance 1 or some such - but either way, at the beginning of each day phase I will create a list of alliances that are still intact (as well as noting "2 Lone Rangers" or some such); when an alliance is completely decimated I will note that that alliance is no longer active.
12) This is probably obvious from the "minimum number of alliances" rule, but two alliances cannot join forces. Only individual players can choose to switch alliances. You cannot be two alliances at once, unless you are a spy, but even then your loyalty is still to one alliance over the one you are spying on.
13) If a "selfish" player dies, you will not learn if they are "selfish" or not. I will state how many "selfish" players there are when the game is begun, but beyond that you will never get clues to their identity. When they die, they will simply be listed as whatever alliance they happened to be using for their own ends, or Lone Ranger if that's what they are.
14) Because of the fact that this game relies so heavily on out-of-thread communication and alliances, both night and day phases will be at least 48 hours, if I don't extend it to 72. Players who don't send me anything that implies they're still alive and involved (night action, info on alliances, notification of switching alliances/spying/whatever) will be modkilled. Night actions not sent in will not be randomized, though.
15) Nothing will be random once the game starts - no randlynches, either.
16) In each night phase, I will state a time that I would like all night actions, information on alliances, spy details, etc. to be given to me by. You don't have to send in a night action (this game may feature killing actions being used conservatively, after all) but please inform me if you choose not to use your night action. If there is any player unaccounted for when the deadline is reached, they will be killed and their alliance being revealed as "None chosen". Lone Rangers are different from being unaccounted for - I expect PM's from Lone Rangers saying "I choose to be a Lone Ranger", but unaccounted for is if I have no clue if you're in an alliance or are a Lone Ranger. That is not to say that every player needs to PM me - I simply need a PM from any member of the alliance stating the members of the alliance; then they are accounted for. In my mind and in write-ups for death scenes, a player will stay in the alliance I first hear them being part of unless they, or a member of their alliance, PM's me to inform me that their allegiance has shifted. A player kicked out of an alliance will be considered a Lone Ranger until I learn that they have a different alignment.
17) Kicking out of alliances is not something just anyone can do - there needs to be a majority vote. I can't supervise this, obviously, but there should be some sort of consensus.
18) No self-targeting allowed. Night actions can be directed at any player - in your alliance or out of it - but not yourself.
19) Secret votes.
20) Being in an alliance with someone does not necessarily mean you have to consult them about everything. If you and your fellow alliance members all suspect a player in your alliance as being "selfish", you can all decide, whilst leaving the suspected "selfish" player out of the loop, to kill the "selfish" that night. That doesn't mean the "selfish" player isn't part of the alliance, though. Remember, this game is all about trust and lack thereof.
21) There is a maximum number of times you are allowed to swap alliances. The exact number will be determined by number of players.

(Rules are being added as I think of them.)

This entire game consists of a lot of "on your honor". Don't let me down by lying to me to change the fate of the game.

Okay... I think that's all that I've come up with thus far for the alliance mafia. Feedback is greatly appreciated (other roles ideas, perhaps?), as are sign-ups. The more players, the better; I'd like at least 15 or even 20 if that's not an unreasonable request. Hell, the TVTropes Mafia had 50 participants; can we get a similarly large number in this?

I have a feeling this will be a very engrossing game. You don't know who you can trust with anything, but you are encouraged to form alliances and try to destroy the other alliances. Game of wits to the extreme.

Last edited:
Even though I'm in like 4 other mafias and I'll be away on vacation, I have to sign up for this, as it sounds so interesting.

I hope there aren't selfish Healers because that's just mean.

Also selfishness seems like a completely negative trait, and I generally don't like roles which are completely superior to others but eh it's your game.

Also can you kill people you are allied with? Is your night action revealed to your team?

Regardless of random questions interested and joining. DO NOT MAKE ME DOCTOR AGAIN

I hope there aren't selfish Healers because that's just mean.

No self-targeting is allowed though. Plus that would kinda be like "hay look i'm a selfish bastard!" so.

Also selfishness seems like a completely negative trait, and I generally don't like roles which are completely superior to others but eh it's your game.

Reasoning behind the selfish trait is because I want this game to be like "who can you trust?" with an element of "can't trust anyone" thrown in and if everybody were normal killers/healers alliances would be formed and everyone in them would be happy and trusting, which isn't what I want - suspicion of people even in your own alliance is preferable, and when there's no Mafia there's gotta be SOME way to induce suspicion. But if every single player had the selfish trait, then the game wouldn't end well 'cause what do you do when there's two players left? I kind of based this off Survivor, but unlike in Survivor if there was a jury with the last two players nobody would think "well x player deserves to win". So arbitrary selfish trait is the best solution I could think of.

Also can you kill people you are allied with?

Yyyyep.

Is your night action revealed to your team?

Because the alliances are relatively unofficial compared with real Mafia games where a team of Mafia is set up before the game begins I can't exactly tell your role to your team - that's up to you.

DO NOT MAKE ME DOCTOR AGAIN

50/50 chance :p

Hey man, if anyone wants to join me, we'll be the Powder Gangers :o)
I mean, that is, if you want it to be that...

No self-targeting is allowed though. Plus that would kinda be like "hay look i'm a selfish bastard!" so.

Then playing healer is even harder. Ouch.

Reasoning behind the selfish trait is because I want this game to be like "who can you trust?" with an element of "can't trust anyone" thrown in and if everybody were normal killers/healers alliances would be formed and everyone in them would be happy and trusting, which isn't what I want - suspicion of people even in your own alliance is preferable, and when there's no Mafia there's gotta be SOME way to induce suspicion. But if every single player had the selfish trait, then the game wouldn't end well 'cause what do you do when there's two players left? I kind of based this off Survivor, but unlike in Survivor if there was a jury with the last two players nobody would think "well x player deserves to win". So arbitrary selfish trait is the best solution I could think of.

Make them have priority kills! As in if selfish killer and normal killer tries to kill each other selfish killer prevails. It's the best mediating trait I can think of.

50/50 chance :p

D:

Make them have priority kills! As in if selfish killer and normal killer tries to kill each other selfish killer prevails. It's the best mediating trait I can think of.

Not sure how that would help :p how are you thinking?

TEAM AVATAR IS BACK

I have a feeling I'm going to drown in all these mafia games if I continue to join them but oh well

... And uh sorry Polymetric, it had to be said. Am rather unsure what you mean by that, anyway; we don't necessarily have to name our alliances that, do we?

Also, if the alliances names are announced, it might be rather easy to gather who's in them. Possibly, I haven't quite thought this through well enough.

Wait, are the alliances names announced in the thread?

If so, then I'd like there to be TEAM MISSILE BOMB.

Hahaha that's awesome

but you know what this means
ALL THE EXPLOSIVES ARE OURS, YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY

e: unless you would be up to being the JOINTED ALLIANCES OF THE POWDER GANGERS AND TEAM MISSILE BOMB

Am rather unsure what you mean by that, anyway; we don't necessarily have to name our alliances that, do we?

name them what? i confuse xD

Also, if the alliances names are announced, it might be rather easy to gather who's in them. Possibly, I haven't quite thought this through well enough.

maybe. maybe not. i just don't want everyone stuck with alliance 1/2/3 whatever so

I can't help but think I really shouldn't, because this sort of thing is really kind of bad for my sanity. but. but. but.

announcing names just makes guessing based on names kind of wifomy -- did this group choose the name because it contains person, or do they merely wish to make it seem so! or they do but they wish to make it seem like they don't! or they didn't and came up with such a thing independently. or...

... no stop res what are you doing.

my brain is already hurting >||| although that may also be related to reading and typing on an uncomputer with an unkeyboard.

announcing names just makes guessing based on names kind of wifomy -- did this group choose the name because it contains person, or do they merely wish to make it seem so! or they do but they wish to make it seem like they don't! or they didn't and came up with such a thing independently. or...

thing is though that people know what alliance they're in and therefore everyone else is an enemy. whether a team is named "TEAM PIKACHULOVER54 + FRIENDS" or not they still know that Pikachulover54 is not on their alliance so if they want to kill Pikachulover or not that's their choice, I mean xD it doesn't really reveal too much... unless they're trying to take out a specific alliance and then the only thing they know about that alliance is that Pikachulover is in it so then what motive could they have to take out that alliance?? unless they don't like Pikachulover in which case it wouldn't matter if the alliance is called "team pikachulover54 + friends" or "team anonymous" cause they're still killing Pikachulover and it's just a cycle :p

One more thing (which I'll be adding to the rules): During the day phase, there are no mafia, so how are you supposed to know who to lynch? Members of an alliance that you think might pose a threat to the entire game (other alliances will join you in voting for potential threats if they think it gives them the chance to survive) and people you suspect of being "selfish" players.

Either that, or there will be no day discussion at all. Which do you prefer?

One more thing (which I'll be adding to the rules): During the day phase, there are no mafia, so how are you supposed to know who to lynch? Members of an alliance that you think might pose a threat to the entire game (other alliances will join you in voting for potential threats if they think it gives them the chance to survive) and people you suspect of being "selfish" players.

Perhaps the day game would be better with secret votes? If everyone votes for the same person, one can deduce that they are probably on the same team.

Perhaps the day game would be better with secret votes? If everyone votes for the same person, one can deduce that they are probably on the same team.

That's actually kind of my intention! Sort of like how you and I were an obvious team in Username Mafia, I think it'd be an interesting twist to be like "is this person on the same alliance as everyone who voted for x player... or are they doing it for their own alliance/benefit?" If a lot of people agree, though, I'll make it secret votes.

Back
Top Bottom