• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Work Experience.

Espeon

Mmhm...
A while ago, as some of you may know, I went away to do some work experience. I shadowed a Vet, watching them do surgeries, learnign about different medicines and the works. Well, I completed the work experience and really, really enjoyed it. In actual fact, I liked it so much, here is a thread about it!

The Mornings.
The second worst part of the work experience was having to actually wake up for it. I am not the laziest person in the world, but whenever I wake up, I do like a good 15 minutes extra in bed awake as it's often really warm in bed. Anyway, I would have to catch the bus at around 8:15am to get to work at around 9:00am. It is one heck of a long day. 9am - 5pm. After arriving, I would sign in, and grab a set of what the Vets called "scrubs" to go over my clothes before watching the surgeries. The hygenie practises were, as the average person would expect, very strict. Surgeries could go on until around 2pm, depending on how many patients there are to treat, and what the operation is. I would generally go to lunch at around 12, and come back at 1pm. (That's what it said to do on my sheet.)

The Afternoons.
After I got back from lunch, I would sometimes watch the surgeries left to go, but quite often the surgeries would have finished by then. The afternoons generally consisted of consulting patients and cleaning up the veterinary centre rather than anything else. During these hours, many booster vaccinations are given to cats and dogs. Occasionally I would see a rabbit, but the majority of pets were cats or dogs. Some of the animals were over-friendly, but most had one thing in common. They went out faster than they came in.

Finishing.
I would leave at around 5pm, as that's what I was told to do on my sheet. I did have to sign out using the visitor guestbook still though. Often, I would walk through the town centre, stop in Sainsbury's to get something to eat and then catch the bus home. I never arrived home before 5:45.

Hygiene Practises.
Unsuprisingly, there were some very stict rules around the place. Several of these rules were hygiene rules. The one hygiene rule that I found slightly stragne was how you either had to wear shoe covers, or special shoes in the operating theatre.

...Or you could just go in bare foot if you wanted. That was always allowed.
Yep, you were allowed to go into where they were cutting up animals with blood going on the floor in bare foot. I suppose it must be safe if they do it though.

The cute, the cuddly... and the absolutely insane.
The animals that were in the centre were very adorable, but there were two slightly strange dogs different consults. There was a Border Collie which kept on licking the vets feet, and couldn't be kept away from the vet's feet until it was put into a separate room. (Still, that made the booster vaccination and temperature check easy...)

The other was a chocolate Labrador restriever, who decided that instead of licking to be friendly, he'd put his whole mouth around my hand. It was funny, especially the gentle chewing he gave. It was like having a hand massage.

My favourite animal?
I loved all of the animals there, but one of the cats was very, very cute. His name was Moo Cat, and he was hospitalised for having a paralysed fore leg. Moo Cat was extremely friendly, and wasn't atall bothered by his leg. In actual fact, he would spend more of his time on his back, rolling over, begging for cuddles than he would the right way up as he was just so playful. I loved that cat. x3

The most boring parts.
The dentals. It was like going to the dentists, only with cats and dogs. "240, sound. 241, missing."
Mopping also was slightly annoying by the last day. I had nearly mopped and scrubbed all of cat and dog sides.

The Staff.
The staff were an incredible group who managed to be funny, witty, kind and sensible all at the same time. They were all very helpful, and I immediately felt welcomed into the group. During the cleaning on the last day, one of the nurses and I had the radio on, so we decided to dance a load whilst we cleaned up. No-one thought it was stage, so I assume dancing is something that happens a lot in the medical career! Now I know why they play music during the operations. :P

The Operations.
There were some rather gruesome operations that took place whilst I was there. The worst, and most bloody would have been the removal of a cat's eyeball, the 4 castrations and the removal of a cat's uterus.

The Saddest Operations.

One of the saddest operations there would have been when there were cats being spayed. Two cats had kittens, and effectively, 8 unborn kittens had to be put down so that they didn't suffocate to death.

Overall.
I couldn't say enough about how much I loved it, and could easily go again for another week!

:D Yay! Glad you had fun!

I remember shadowing a vet for a day... They had to remove a tumour (I think it was cancerous D:) from a dog's ear. >.< The laser-burnt flesh smelled BAD >.<

But, otherwise, things like that are fun! :D

Oh, actually, they removed a tumor from a rat by cutting it open and actually just cutting out the cancerous tumor.

I did work experience at my uncle's vetinary practice three years ago and it was really interesting and I'd do it again, too. The saddest bit was putting down a really old dalmatian and the scariest bit was cutting the horns off a very anrgy cow (he works with farm animals, too).
Glad you had a good time~ Are you considering vetinary science as a career?

Hah, I have absolutely no idea. I took biology and chemistry at A-level but didn't enjoy them at all - the idea of taking biology for another four years kinda makes me want to kill myself. I'll be studying sociology at university (either Durham or Kent) this September, but I haven't planned any further ahead than that X3

But best of luck with getting into a vetinary course when the time comes; it's very competitive (a friend of mine got straight As at A-level with biology, chemistry and maths but still didn't get accepted into any of the courses she wanted -I think she's going to Cardiff to do zoology now), so do your best with getting in as much work experience with animals, be it at a vet, a zoo or a farm, and study like hell to get the grades you need. :D

Ah. I want to go to Edinburgh or Bristol to do my University courses.

No chance of my getting into Cambridge university. D:

Iirc, Bristol's one of the top four unis in the country... obviously Oxbridge is best, but I think Bristol and Nottingham are the next-best; Bristol's too close to me, and I got an offer from Nottingham, but they wanted the same grades as Durham and I'd sooner go there.

Edinburgh and the Scottish unis in general are supposed to be very good, but also very hard to get into because when a Scottish person goes to a Scottish uni, they don't pay tuition fees, so all the Scottish students are desperate to get into Edinburgh/St. Andrews/whatever.

I think my cousin's doing vet science at Edinburgh. I haven't seen him in, like, three years, though.

Bleh, I wouldn’t want to go to Oxbrigde anyway. Rich, elitist snobs.

Back
Top Bottom