• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Technology

mewtini

sorry guys, don’t lose
Pronoun
she/her
We've all heard this one before. Here're my specific points, but it can be a lot more general!

1. Should kids have cellphones?
  2. Is stuff like Facebook okay?
  3. What does technology do to real life discussion?
  4. What do you think about internet dating?

I got my first cellphone at 11; considering the age we're living in, that's pretty old compared to others. I didn't even get it because I wanted one (I never wanted one, btw), I got it because I was going to Washington DC and I needed it in case I had to contact my parents. But giving kids that aren't out of fifth grade (kids in my book) who don't know how to properly use a cellphone (there was this kid somewhere who racked up $10,000 on iTunes). So no, unless there's parental supervision.

What does technology do to real life discussion?
It destroys real life discussion because you have people saying yolo all over the place. And internet conversation saps time away from real conversation because you're substituting the former for the latter.

It's great! ;)

bahahaha

I was thinking more of the things like zoosk, eHarmony, and the advertised ones. I didn't clarify well enough.

ILS: I totally agree! That is pretty much my view on it. I don't own a cellphone, either, and I did just turn twelve. I don't want one; I function fine without one and would prefer to not turn into a texting machine, thanks.

Technological communication could be okay for those who really aren't that social I guess (*ahem* homeschooling *ahem*) but even they should go boldly into the world and make friends with all seven billion human beings!

...or at least one.

EDIT: I know tons of people who text and text and talk all day long! And they're seven freaking years old. That. That can't be good.

Should kids have cellphones?

what do you define a "kid"?

I'm thinking that maybe middle school, if not high school, is an appropriate place for children to get cell phones. Elementary school years are some of the most important years of a child's life developmentally, and I feel if cell phone interaction usurps real interaction it may be more difficult for the child to actually know how the real world works - not everyone texts there, after all.

Is stuff like Facebook okay?

Social networking is what it is... I have no real qualms with Facebook as it is. However, social media sites like this seem to foster people believing they're special or more important than they actually are, or that people honestly care about every aspect of their life, which leads to an overall self-centered society. As a means to connect and communicate with others, though, it's fine.

A lot of people say that technology creates problems with real life discussion. I feel like real life discussion isn't affected negatively by technology. I mean, yes, there have been times when I've been ridiculously annoyed at my cousin for texting when she used to get annoyed at me for playing video games all the time, but it didn't mean she never talked to me at all. I dunno. I just don't really ... care, I guess.

What do you think about internet dating?

It's great! ;)

ok yeah would I really say something else. I would like to add though that, while online dating can be a wonderful thing that brings people who otherwise would never have met (:p) together, people also need to be reaaaaally careful about it.

Fine by me, but I think cell phones should be introduced gradually and supervised for a bit to make sure they're not racking up fees or abusing features. I think that middle school's a good time to introduce them.

Yes, but I'd like if they're taught general netiquette first and keep in mind who will be viewing it. Poly makes a good point about it making people more self-centered, too.

Gets in the way for the most part. I make it a priority not have my cell phone out when talking to people.

A-okay! You should be aware of the risks, though.

Last edited:
I'm going to answer questions 2 and 4 simultaneously. You see, whenever I change my relationship status on Facebook to "single", I get bombarded with ads for various matchmaking services. Like, come on, Facebook, I break up with my girlfriend and just a few hours later you're telling me to go find hot singles on Zoosk? That's kind of inappropriate, isn't it? Telling me to do that, I mean, not actually doing it. (Just trying to cover my bases here.)

So, in conclusion, Facebook isn't okay and neither is online dating. Just... just stay away from me, hot singles. Leave me alone.

We've all heard this one before. Here're my specific points, but it can be a lot more general!

1) I don't think they should but I don't think they shouldn't either. It really depends on how much they're needed. At first I thought seeing all the 10 year olds on my bus with iPhones annoyed me a lot. I wondered if it could be because "I grew up without one so why can't they >:|" but then I realised, hey, they have friends too - it's just a way for them to keep in contact with one another. Then I realised that what was actually annoying me was that they were iPhones. Not some cheap Tesco Mobile thing. So my main problem with kids who have phones is that it just seems like they're being spoiled more than anything. Also I guess there's the fact that they're with some of their friends on the bus, they could have been talking to them instead of getting their phones out. I guess there it overlaps with the third question :P

2) I think so. Things have become far more convenient since I joined. Maybe its privacy policies are dodgy but I think the problem is that most people are probably too apathetic to get anything done about it.

3) Depends on what you mean. Checking phones all the time when you're talking to someone can be annoying. I think it's okay to be annoyed at someone if they're texting or something, but sometimes I really want to know the time but I don't want to get my phone out in case I'm judged :(
Perhaps not just applicable to conversation, but the ability to check your emails and the like on the go when you're doing something else like talking to someone probably isn't very good for the attention span.

If you mean the use of words like lol and stuff like that in real life, it doesn't really bother me any more than people using them online. People who type "lol" probably aren't laughing and people who say it probably aren't since they're saying something, so it all works out! As for "yolo" I've never come across someone saying that even online actually, except for complaining about people who say yolo.
What does really bother me is people who use hashtags in real life. I guess that's what people who say yolo are like? Doing it on sites that don't use hashtags was bad enough but come on!
On a mildly related note, the other week I came across someone calling something kawaii in real life for the first time.

4) Dating sites I don't really understand in the same way I don't understand speed dating, but if people want to that's fine with me. Why should I care! Dating people online I don't understand in the same way I don't understand dating people in real life, but if people want to that's find with me. Why should I care! Though I guess you have to be more careful about making sure they are who they say they are.

So, in conclusion, Facebook isn't okay and neither is online dating. Just... just stay away from me, hot singles. Leave me alone.
79619QA.png

i got my first phone when i was 11 (middle school) so.... yeah middle school age is fine i guess. i don't really see why kids younger than that would need a phone?

Social networking is what it is... I have no real qualms with Facebook as it is. However, social media sites like this seem to foster people believing they're special or more important than they actually are, or that people honestly care about every aspect of their life, which leads to an overall self-centered society. As a means to connect and communicate with others, though, it's fine.
that's what i think ^

it makes it easier for some people to build on social skills. i have severe social anxiety disorder, and without technology i'd be completely fucked. using it to talk to people is so much easier than talking to them in real life but wow it's actually helping me to get better at it.

it makes it easier to befriend people, since you have like the entire world to talk to rather than idk people you live close to. i have no friends in my hometown any more and even when i did i didn't have an awful lot in common with them i spose but all the people i met through the internet are wonderful and we have loads in common. hell i am currently living with a friend i met over the internet.

i don't know how much of that was relevant but the point is i think technology is gr8 for social stuff

don't u mean long distance
yeah every relationship i've ever had has been like that. i'm in one now. it just sucks mega arse if you never get the chance to meet them if they live really goddamn far away (or if you're both not financially independent or whatever)

i don't think it's such a good idea to do it when you're really young though, because there are some twisted fucks out there who have the potential to do nasty shit. lol i dated some guy when i was 12/13 and am probably emotionally scarred for life because of him. thank god we never met in real life.

all this stuff about EVERYONE ON THE INTERNET IS A 50 YEAR OLD MAN!!!! though is bollocks i have never dated someone who turned out to be a 50 year old man and this upsets me deeply

1) There are the kids that can handle it and the ones who can't. I mean, a lot of times, you'll say a lot of things that you wouldn't ever say in real life because you're behind a screen. For example, one of my friends would only ever tell me stuff over text-- but she's really socially awkward. You can't let the ability to talk over text replace your entire social life. Honestly, if you can't ask for advice or whatever face-to-face and do it over text instead, you don't need a phone, and you need to get your social life back on track.

2) Facebook is just a wee bit too public for me-- actually, I prefer Google+. I mean, I go to a thousand seminars a year telling me about the dangers of the world wide web and how some forty year old man is getting his kicks out of molesting little kids over the internet, but honestly that's fairly uncommon and to my knowledge, it's not going on with me or anyone I know, so I don't see that as a major issue, really.
Although, there's always the same issue that I put with the phone thing, and then the whole, "ah my life sucks," posts. Facebook and the like are turning into a huge pity party, basically. That, or people see all the fantastical things other people are doing and think, "aw well why can't I go on vacation to the Bahamas," or something and feel all sorry for themselves.
Internet is a pretty dangerous thing overall, and while you have a few sanctuaries like here, a lot of people are being exposed to things via people complaining about their sucky lives that no one needs to be exposed to.

3) Well, this one honestly depends on what you mean. People referencing internet memes occasionally can be funny, but then again, I know people whose lives are Minecraft. I'm pretty sure every sentence that comes out of some people's mouth has either the word, "block," or, "creeper," in it. I mean honestly, you need to show some self restraint. Back to what I said at 1), the use of technology should be so you can contact your friends while you're apart, not to replace actual verbal communication. You need to be able to actually talk to people-- that's part of being a person and living. of course, the American dream is to just sit in the basement watching your train table and feeling your scotch glass fall from your hands from the condensation, but screw that.

4) I... don't know. Honestly, if you're not the kind of person who lies about themselves to pull in the ladies, then fine, but the amount of deception that's probably on there is ridiculous. I guess if you're honestly just looking for someone to get to know and date, then fine, but if your entire romantic life revolves around a dating site, then you may need to reconsider. If you actually find someone (like VM and Poly did), then that's fine, but if you're just on there to be on there like a desperate, dried up Cheerio that's been sitting under the table for half a year, then I say no, dating sites are not okay.

I don't really get the point of them having one unless they're at an age where they're starting to go out alone or something. I mean, I guess it's useful for a lot of things, but... I still don't have one and I function fine without it. I'm only getting one next month because my parents have an opportunity to get us all one. So, I guess my answer is that if they have a phone, who cares, and if they don't, who cares. As long as they know how to use it responsibly, then it should be fine.

As an avid user of FB, I'd have to say that yes, it is definitely okay. For me personally, it helps me connect and share with friends, and make new friends as well. Sure, it's full of some obnoxious people, but I guess that's why I keep two profiles.

Well, they say there's no substitute for real-life, and I think that's definitely true, but I value my online interactions just as much. My 'internet friends' are just as important to me as friends I made offline, so I'm happy to spend time with them. While I think that never speaking to anyone ever again and just using online methods is probably...unhealthy, I think that the internet is a great way to talk and get to know people. Not to mention you get to meet a huge variety of people from different places who share your interests.

As far as dating sites go, I don't really have an opinion since I've never used one personally and don't know anyone who used one. If you mean internet dating like actually holding a relationship over the internet, then yes, I'm for that. It's wise to be cautious about it at first, but once you can be sure of who you're talking to, then...well, there you go. It's awfully lonely, though.

Basically, as long as people can use technology responsibly and know what they're doing and stuff, I think it's great! It's useful when people have some internet know-how, especially kids who could otherwise make some bad decisions.

1. Okay, so I think children should be able to have cell phones once they are like 11. Especially now. Because nowadays, I noticed that children are doing things without their parents around a lot earlier than they did when I was young, so I think they should be ready with a cell phone just in case. I didn't start really going to mall with my friends and no parental supervision until I was like 14, but that may be just because my parents were strict on me about things like that, but now I see like 10 year olds at the mall without their parents. Also, I feel that kids should still have the privilege to contact their friends outside of school/church/etc. like teenagers and adults do. However, I do agree that it is annoying when like 11 year olds have iPhones and the like, because I feel that they really have no need for such a fancy phone. But over all, I think that the parents need to decide when the child can have a cell phone based on their child's individual needs. Like if a 9 year old walks home alone, I feel that it would be safest if that child has some sort of way to call their parents if something happened. But I feel that the ideal age is 11 or 12.

2. I have no problem with social networking sites. I personally don't have many major social networking accounts, because I just have no particular need/desire for that. And I think like 9 year olds on Facebook is a little odd, but it doesn't bother me.

3. I feel that technology does influence real life discussions BIG TIME!! Especially in today's youth and my generation. Just recently I was at my grandmother's house, and a bunch of my cousins were there, and EVERYONE was on their phones/iPads/etc instead of conversing! And many people just text the person that is like two feet away from then which I find a teeny but annoying. Except I occasionally do that, but only when I want to tell someone something that I can't say out loud for some reason.

OH! And also, ugh, I always hear obnoxious kids who are like "ERMYGERD!! LOLWUT!! [insert obnoxious internet meme or lingo here]!!!" which is annoying.

4. I have no problem with internet dating. I probably wouldn't do it myself, but that's just my personal preference.

Using internet slang is pretty much nooo different from using other subcultural slang. It's not more "technological" than any other slang and not an issue of technology! Being really distracted by something isn't really, either! When I was a kid I pissed everyone off by having my nose constantly in a book.

Also dating sites seem really cool! I've never used one, but being able to put down a bunch of interesting stuff about you and maybe finding someone really suitable right away possibly even in your area!! Wow! Just sitting at a bar hitting on people seems way more hopeless, way more difficult, and way more dangerous.

Without the internet I would probably be a horrible ball of shitty anxieties and loneliness, soooo I don't really have anything else to say! But don't you feel like a lot of the worries posed here aren't actually all that technology-specific...? :/!

1. I have to agree with what I've read from a bunch of you guys, middle school and above only is what I see appropriate. A few years ago (before I got my first cellphone, which I got for my fifteenth birthday), I knew a five year old girl who had a cell phone. Five. Years. Old. I found this terrible. At seven she'll have her own clique, I swear. Nobody in elementary school needs a cell phone.

2. Well unless it's changed, when I signed up for facebook, it had an age limit of thirteen. I think this was placed appropriately. Of course, sometimes I get a weekly email where my friends' birthdays are coming up, and facebook thinks that a sixteen year old is going to be turning like, forty three. So yeah, kids lie to get on facebook (shocker, right? Lying on the internet? Blasphemy), but if they didn't, I think it'd be fine.

3. Well, I'm not 100% sure what's being asked, but I'll sort of cover everything I can think of. Let's see, well...it can be good in some cases, like things you saw on the internet or your phone that can bring up a whole stream of discussion when face-to-face with friends. Of course, on the flip side, it's those people who won't look away from their phone to have that discussion. Phones especially can be distracting, but it depends on the person. A lot of people handle it well, but there are those people who have become completely anti-social, absorbed in something like iFunny just to ignore everyone around them.

4. I feel bad about admitting that even I have done this, considering I'm only sixteen. I had a relationship with a girl in Florida (I live in Missouri) when I was thirteen, fourteen. It was a lovely relationship (at least it was to a lonely thirteen year old boy who couldn't get a girlfriend no matter how hard he tries), but...well there were some issues. She lied about an awful lot, truth be told. But, in the end, she told me everything, and we went at it again. Actually, I dated the same girl (who no longer lies to me and is a great friend nowadays) again when I was fifteen. So I guess if you're careful, it's fine. But it is so easy to lie over the internet.

Well I hope my opinions have achieved what you wanted.

oh yeah i was actually seriously gonna answer this at some point wasn't I

I am kind of torn on this one! I think if a child is independent from adults frequently (like if they walk themselves to or from school), it's not unreasonable for them to have a phone in case of emergency or if they get lost. the problem with this is if you live in kind of a high-crime-rate area like I do, kids are probably easy targets for muggers and such.

ehh. I'm kinda not comfortable with kids on facebook unless it's supervised, just because it's unfortunately easy to let strangers see your information on facebook if you don't exercise proper precaution.

I don't think it really does a lot to discussion with friends you'd have with or without the internet, probably the only difference is that people now say things like #YOLO, but slang's gotta come from somewhere I guess.

but I mean, 'real life discussion' is kind of moot anyway. I understand the question, but I wouldn't call conversation I have on the internet any less real or important than conversation in real life. I've known my best friend for like 4-5 years, and we've never met, but I talk to him more than I talk to most people in 'real life'. And that's the kind of thing that would be impossible if we didn't have internet.

ehh. Dating sites make me uncomfortable on principle, but i know they work for tons of people so they're probably alright really.

long-distance relationships are kind of shitty imo but they work for tons of people so!

uv can i marry you
u know it bb ;)

I remember back when I was little cellphones were a rare thing to have, almost anywhere. But I had a pager my parents gave me so they could contact me when I was playing in the neighborhood. I was the first kid in my class to have a cell phone, sixth grade. And I was the ONLY one to have a phone until eight grade. Thing is I was involved in school activities and sports, and I walked home, so I was constantly calling my parents. It wasn't like back then I had friends I could call (why use minutes) and texting didn't even exist back then.

I think now getting a cell phone has become something like a coming of age thing. It's one step closer to being more of an adult. But I think that parents still need to have control over their childs account. I know people who have their kid get a pre pay plan that they pay out of their allowance.

I think strict rules need to be enforced. I also don't think phones should be allowed in grade schools. (Like in class)

This pisses me off. I know eight year olds that have Facebook accounts. Eight. The supposed age limit is thirteen. And then their parents friend them. Okay, I can see being able to watch a childs Facebook by friending them, the philosophy that you can watch them. But what goes on the internet is there FOREVER.

And the things these kids say on Facebook. Shit.

Memes have invaded.

People seem to be more lazy in discussion.

Over 18, fine, go ahead. You're 18.

For kids? No.

Internet dating, specifically sites for dating or even craigslist, is at its core, dangerous. You never really know who the other person is in these situations. There are guidelines, like meeting in a public spot, driving there on your own, etc.

It all boils down to the parents. Sites like that should be blocked on a teens computer. I know I sound like a harsh monkey, but I've seen a lot of this stuff go sour.​

Just to add to the 'hot singles' discussion - there's a lesbian pop-culture site I check every so often, and nearly every time I visit, there are ads that crack me right up for things like 'Hot men in uniform!' or 'Buff military dudes!' or similar.

1 & 2 are okay as long as they are used properly
3 is good as long as you use properly once again. it doesnt completey destroy.
4 is a big no no

Back
Top Bottom