• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2013

Dragon

disaster pigeon
Pronoun
she
Iiiii thought I'd do the honours since I've been thinking about this a lot lately. (And the thread's a week earlier than last year hhhahaha)

First of all, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month, and it takes place in November. The goal is to write a full novel in 30 days, with a wordcount goal set at 50,000 words. There's no reward aside from pride, but you'll have a full novel at the end (hopefully) and maybe confidence in your writing abilities????

While a certain level of "cheating" is encouraged (wordcount padding with excessive description, etc.), the only one who benefits from winning is you, so real cheating (like copy-pasting the same block of text over and over again until you hit 50k words or straight up lying about your wordcount) doesn't really prove or get you anything. So... go for it! It's accepted that the end result will be preeeetty low quality, but the point is that at least you wrote and have something to edit in a couple of weeks.

So who's doing NaNoWriMo this year? (and please leave your username so you can be added to writing buddy lists etc etc.) How far are you guys with plotting and characters, got any cool story ideas you wanna share and so forth? (For reference my username is windragonortex and I already have a couple of you guys as writing buddies, but the more the merrier?????)

I promised myself I'd do it again, so I'm totally in for a second round!
I'm going to break into so many pieces in November when I REALLY want to play but have to write the daily 1,600~ish words.
Good part is that I don't have any school then! It'll be just me, my NaNo novel and Pokemon Y. If I have to bribe myself with pokemans to keep it going, then so be it. :D

I'm, unsurprisingly, Equinoxe on the official site too. This year I'm gonna write about a theatre boat (or it's more like a ship but boat sounds more fun), sea serpent and legendary creatures! Like my first NaNo, it's also inspired by a dream I had (even more so). I should probably start developing a plot before it's too late. :P

I didn't have much of a plot in mind last year so I was basically stumbling ass backwards into things that just happened. I'll at least try making something better structured this time.

I won't be able to do it this year, which sucks, but I will do this next year.

I'm debating on whether or not to do NaNo this year. If I do, it'll just be a personal thing for writing m fanfiction.

I'm remaking my account (whenever the SITE COMES UP) with my tumblr url because i don't want the shame of "the year(s?) i tried NaNo and failed miserably" to forever follow me

I originally wasn't going to do it because planning and schedules and stuff but then I remembered that I have a GREAT THING TO WORK WITH CAUSE IT'S ALMOST ENTIRELY PLANNED AND HAS OVER HALF THE CHARACTERS NECESSARY because it ties into my "main project" (which I can't use because I already started)

This seems fun! I've never been apart of NaNoWriMo before, but that was mostly because my writing was absolutely horrible. Now that I'm much more experienced, I can't wait for November! I've already got an idea and characters down (but finding a name for the main character will be hard), and 50k words'll be a breeze.

Never not NaNo, of course. This year I'm going to be doing something a little different... rather than writing one thing straight through to 50,000 words, I'm going to try writing a series of original short stories that add up to at least 50K, with the ultimate goal of polishing at least a couple of them up and trying to get them published. I have a few ideas floating already, probably enough to get me all the way through the month in a pinch, but I imagine I'll come up with more as I write my way along.

The NaNo site is down at the moment, but my ID is "Negrek," as always.

so the site FINALLY came up again and i was able to set up my account! (*has a crisis because I THOUGHT YOU WERE OLDER DRAGON)

uh so yeah. magical girls. go yell at me about the shitty summary.

I had an idea regarding my characters, actually; continually updating bios. You know how in Kingdom Hearts 2 you can already have character info but then plot happens and WHOA THAT GUY HAS MORE INFO ON HIM right? (why did i not think of this analogy when I was writing this on tumblr) If you don't, well, that happens. I was thinking of doing something similar for my characters; if something happens (ie team addition or new power or something weird like that) the bios get updated!

So I spend October writing up my main character's bio (since the fact that she's a member of the group is spoiled by the synopsis; no point hiding now!) and some of her human friends and adding on!! Fun times. Very much fun times.

I'm super busy this year, but I'm always gonna try at least. And when you think up "post-apocalyptic bounty hunter free for all in the Sahara Desert", you can't not write about it. Here's me.

I'm super busy this year, but I'm always gonna try at least.

This is my thought as well. I've always disliked the "I'm too busy to attempt" mindset, especially with writing, because really - there's never enough time.

That being said, I'm a little bit terrified for this November, because I have no free weekends and college this semester has been ridiculously time consuming and hectic.

The story I'd like to write is (so far) much simpler than my in-progress stories. I'm looking forward to writing it, since I think actually finishing a story will help me untangle all of the confusion around the rest of my stories. It should be much easier for me to finish a simple story than a complex one! I think.

This is my profile!

While I won't rule the possibility out entirely, I don't think I'm likely to do NaNo this year. Not because I'm too busy—I mean, I am, but I've never used that as an excuse before—but simply because it's high time I actually sat down and finished something. One of my New Year's resolutions was to actually get a story to the point where I could start sharing it with people. I have made, like, maybe 0.2% progress toward this goal, and it's already October. So yeeeeaaaaah, probably not the best idea to jump into yet another new thing that also won't be polished enough to post before December 31st. Honestly I can't even guarantee I'll spend most of November on the edit/rewrite due to all the busy, but assuming I can pick a project to devote my attention to I will certainly try! and maybe even do a little editing pseudo-NaNo or something, what with waiting for EditMo in January kind of not being an option. Because, you know. December 31st.

(I do have something I could work on if I decide to do this, but if anything I'd rather start on it sooner than wait for November... and it isn't likely to be long enough to hit 50,000 November-only words if I start early. So eh.)

Nonetheless, I'll be rooting for all of you as always! Such a wonderful time of year~

YES.

I don't know when or how I'll find time for this this year, but I am going to do it and I am going to complete it and I am going to hopefully score some serious extra credit points in English again with it. (seriously. Freshman year I got a 127% that quarter and ended the year with >100% because of the 200 bonus points I got for NaNo. Y'all should try that too, bargaining with your middle- and high-school teachers for NaNo extra credit.)

The story I'd like to write is (so far) much simpler than my in-progress stories. I'm looking forward to writing it, since I think actually finishing a story will help me untangle all of the confusion around the rest of my stories. It should be much easier for me to finish a simple story than a complex one! I think.

I changed my mind. If I participate this year, it will be to finish my long-term novel, the one I've been working on for almost nine years. I've found new purpose in the story, enough to drive it on. It won't be an official NaNo since I'll be using old material as well, but I'm going to finish it.

This song will be my motivation.

NaNo is almost here and I'm having serious second thoughts about what I'm going to write. Please send help.

I have a feeling I'll throw out my theatre boat fantasy story and replace it with a sci-fi murder mystery thing because somehow the former one isn't really inspiring me enough right now.
I wonder if I'm doing the right thing... :E

My biggest fear this year isn't that I'm not going to finish, but that I'm going to write past my plan and my chapters are going to be shorter than I'm intending them to be. Writing without an outline is a bad idea for me, and I don't want to have to to it because it contributes to a severe detriment in quality because I don't know where I'm going.

By extension, I'm worried that I'm going to finish the novel before it hits 50,000 words, and I don't know what to write to supplement it if that happens.

Back
Top Bottom