• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Game Master Mafia [Experimental New Format]

Superbird

Fire emblem is great
Brought to you by the letters V and M, it's Game Master Mafia, the mafia game where the GM is among you!

GM Mafia is a bit of a twist on the normal mafia format, mostly because the GM will be one of the players....and I also won't be the GM. Rather than being the GM, I will simply run the game according to how the GM tells me to (though I will balance everything if the GM's rules start making it not fun for everyone). The GM will be picked at random from the list of players once the game begins, and before Night 0, the GM will make up the rest of the game, creating (or telling me to create, under their specifications) roles and distributing (or telling me to distribute) them, and deciding the general format of the game -- which factions there are, win conditions, and even a plot if they want.

The relationship between the GM and myself will be as follows: The GM will give me directions and I will follow those directions, crafting and running the game in the way I am ordered to. The only situation in which I might violate said orders is to balance the game if it is becoming too unbalanced. All orders from the GM will go through me before reaching their intended target, in order to preserve the anonymity of the GM. In addition, I will do as much as possible to make it so that beyond the planning at the beginning of the game, the GM has to do as little work as possible.

There are only a few static rules that the GM doesn't get to create or break:
  • The GM may not, under any circumstances, claim to be the GM or else they will be modkilled by me, and I will take over running the game. To that end, no other player may claim to be the GM either.
  • In the event that the GM dies by a means other than modkilling, they will still retain control of the game. Even after death, they may still not roleclaim as the GM, however -- Also, after death the GM cannot post in the thread.
  • The GM will be chosen by RNG at the beginning of the game. If the chosen GM wishes to revoke their position, a different candidate will be chosen. However, please join the game ready to act as a GM.
  • The GM will be able to be lynched like a normal player. I will not be able to be lynched, as I'm just the messenger, as it were.

It's worth noting that this format was inspired by watching VM's Vanilla Vigilante Mafia, and the win condition for the town there was the successful lynch of the GM. On that note, for the GM, you are encouraged to be as creative and bastardly as you want (bastardly in the sense of bastard mafia, to be clear).

I'm going to post this now, and as people look at it and sign up I'd love to see everyone's thoughts and suggestions on how this format might be improved upon before the game starts. The format should probably be checked by other people before it's actually used, but what better way to test it than to hold an experimental game with it.

Finally, as a postscript of sorts, don't sign up for this game if you do not plan to be an active mafia player over its duration. I'd rather not chance an inactive GM. Also, if you do sign up you should think about how you would set up the game if you were picked as the GM.

I'm just teasing you, but this feels pretty much just like Calvinball Mafia, especially being posted right after.

(Inspiration is often quite hard to pinpoint.)

It kind of is, but only for the GM. Like I said, inspired by the "lynch the GM" win condition in V. Mafia.

It kind of is, but only for the GM. Like I said, inspired by the "lynch the GM" win condition in V. Mafia.
Which in turn may have been inspired by the fact that people attempted to do it in Gen VI Pokéchoice Mafia.

Inspiration is complex.

Back
Top Bottom