• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

I liek Squirtles vs. Dazel

Keldeo

Resolute
Pronoun
he, they
[size=+2]I liek Squirtles vs Dazel[/size]

Arena:
Format: 3v3 Single
Style: Switch
DQ: 10 days
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs.
Arena Description: Lego City

The capital of Lego Land. Everything from Lego Harry Potter, to Lego Star Wars,to Lego Lord of the Rings, to regular ol' Lego can be found in this sprawling metropolis. Amid mismatching buildings from different themes, rushing throngs of minifigures make their way from place to place. Any sane person would even think about battling here, considering the fragility of the place. However, these two Trainers are anything but sane, and after avalanches of paperwork and an absurd amount of begging, the Lego Government approved the battle and evacuated the city.

The battle will be held in the Main Plaza, the very heart of Lego City. The place is amazing, sure, but exceedingly fragile. Any damaging attacks that can hit more than one target (eg Earthquake and Surf) and damaging attacks that miss will damage buildings. Each time this occurs, a squadron of Lego SWATs will charge the offending Pokémon, dealing 5% typeless damage.

I liek Squirtles's active squad

wartortle Mr. Turtle the male Wartortle <Torrent> @ Wacan Berry
growlithe Cave Canem the male Growlithe <Flash Fire> @ Fire Stone
hoothoot Cuckoo the male Hoothoot <Insomnia>
teddiursa Roosevelt the male Teddiursa <Quick Feet> @ Lucky Egg
blitzle Marty the male Blitzle <Lightning Rod>
mienfoo Fisticuffs the male Mienfoo <Regenerator>
vanillite Baskin the male Vanillite <Ice Body>
elgyem Luke Skywalker the male Elgyem <Synchronize>
gastly Le Fantôme de l'Opéra the male Gastly <Levitate>
chespin Von Chosais the male Chespin <Bulletproof>

Dazel's active squad

amaura Boris the male Amaura <Snow Warning>
cyndaquil Firethorn the male Cyndaquil <Blaze>
slowpoke Mercuria the female Slowpoke <Own Tempo> @ King's Rock
deino Hair the female Deino <Hustle>
luvdisc Los Peces Del Amor the female Luvdisc <Hydration>
maractus Rumba the female Maractus <Chlorophyll>

Turn Order:
-ILS sends out
-Dazel sends out and commands
-ILS commands
-Ample destruction of Lego City!

Last edited:
not II, database is being weird I guess?
We battled in the tournament, so it's probably that.

This sounds like a job for Boris! First off, do a bunch of stuff that Squirtles will effortlessly counter let's spam ice beam! If Cuckoo tries to pull a special move, counter it with mirror coat, and if he uses a steel or fighting move, protect! If he takes a turn to buff his stats, use iron defence to get your own up.

Ice beam / mirror coat / iron defence / protect x3
Note: would the command be the same if I had just written "ice beam / mirror coat / iron defence x3"?

Last edited:
It would be the same, but your current command string doesn't match your command paragraph - Protect isn't slashed.

Hmm, this is gonna be an uphill battle...

Alright, this is what you're gonna do. If you're faster on that first turn, Fly, my darling. If you're frozen, Hypnosis. Stay in the air one action, nice and far, and if you can, Sunny Day. If not, it's fine. Just stay floating, mmkay? Finally, come back down!

Fly Up~Sunny Day/stay flying~Fly Down

Lego City's Main Plaza, surrounded by buildings for all sorts of Lego affairs, is always a bustling hive of activity, and today is no exception. There aren't any people around to witness the Pokemon battle that's about to take place, though, besides the referee, a Lego government-mandated SWAT team standing at guard behind a nondescript building, and the two battlers, who take their places on opposite studs of the main roadway before releasing their Pokemon.

Out of I liek Squirtles's Poke Ball comes a Hoothoot, who flaps directly onto the road divider before beginning to tilt his head rhythmically in the fashion of his species. Cuckoo looks anxious to get the fight over with quickly, especially when his counterpart appears in a burst of freezing wind. Once he's oriented to his surroundings, Boris looks up at the clear sky disapprovingly, and with a crack of Ice energy, storm clouds move in and hail begins to pelt the two battlers. As Cuckoo wildly hops from one foot to the other in an attempt to avoid the showers of ice, the smug Amaura settles down on a stud. With anxious looks towards the sky and SWAT team, the referee raises her flags, the battlers take their marks, and the fight begins.

I liek Squirtles (Ooo)
hoothoot
Cuckoo (m) <Insomnia>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Currently: Ticking apprehensively.
Commands: Fly (up) / Hypnosis ~ Sunny Day / nothing ~ Fly (down)

Dazel (Ooo)
Amaura
Boris (m) <Snow Warning>
Health: 100%
Currently: Loving the ice.
Commands: Ice Beam / Mirror Coat / Iron Defense / Protect x 3

Field Notes
-It is hailing.

Round 1

Before Boris can get his wits about him, Cuckoo has already taken wing, weaving expertly through the falling hailstones to a bird's-eye vantage point where he can fully grasp the city's uncanny stillness after being cleared out for the fight. From his height, the evacuation looks like a good thing, since parts of the fragile skyscrapers in Boris's snow-radius are already being felled or damaged by the hail. When a hunk of ice beans him on the beak, however, Cuckoo is forced to flap madly to stay aloft. Since he can't actually see his opponent in the harsh conditions, the Hoothoot settles for glaring vaguely downward.

Far below, though, Boris is still puzzling through his commands. Dazel had said to spam… Mirror Coat? And then use Ice Beam if Cuckoo did, well, something—but as far as Boris could tell, the Hoothoot wasn't actually doing anything right now, just hovering in midair. Or maybe it was Iron Defense? He couldn't really remember. Well, the Amaura thinks, who is he to question his trainer's orders? In preparation for an incoming ranged attack, Boris surrounds himself in an absorbent Psychic energy that tints the falling ice around him with every shade of the rainbow… but no special attack comes. Thoroughly confused, Boris stops the Mirror Coat and glares right back up at Cuckoo.

The Hoothoot isn't the only one being clocked by stray chunks of ice, though. One hailstone after another hits the beams that support the sign of the Fifth United Lego City Bank, finally doomed to the fate of the other buildings in the area. No sooner has the sign fallen to the ground, breaking off a stud of the lego sidewalk, than a spray of bullets fired by the angry SWAT team peppers Boris's rocky hide. The Amaura winces; that was not how he had wanted to start the battle off.

Upon hearing his trainer's orders, Cuckoo sighs in relief—he really doesn't want a repeat of the hail incident—and then feels a jolt of righteous indignation. How dare his trainer insinuate that he can't execute such simple moves in midair?! The Hoothoot coats his wings with Fire energy and zigzags through the air in an intricate, ancient dance that summons the sun. The gray clouds above him clear away, replaced by the harsh glare of sunlight on a clear day, and the hail embedded in various parts of the plaza begins to melt.

Below, Boris's glare intensifies. That was his weather, and he won't stand for just having it replaced. But what action should he take to avenge the loss of the hail? Sunny Day is certainly something, meaning he should use Ice Beam, or maybe it was Protect? Well, Ice Beam would probably-maybe-kinda hurt Cuckoo the most, the Amaura thinks, so he gathers a ball of frost in his mouth, squints into the sun to aim in the approximate direction of Cuckoo, then releases the ice in a light blue streak. That'll teach the darn bird… but backing up into the shade, Boris can tell Cuckoo isn't hurt at all, having avoided the narrow jolt of ice. The Amaura's embarrassment is compounded by the SWAT team opening fire on him, mostly on principle. The Ice Beam would've damaged something, right?

Two failed attacks in a row? Cuckoo wants to stick his tongue out at Boris more than anything, but he needs Boris to actually be able to see him for that. The Hoothoot takes aim, tucks in his wings, and plummets recklessly down, only to bash his beak in on Boris's rocky hide. Flapping quickly to get away from the Amaura, who's still trying to pick himself up off the ground, Cuckoo settles onto the street and tries to ignore the stinging in his beak.

Once Boris rights himself, he narrows his eyes at Cuckoo, who appears to be polishing his beak. He'd like to get revenge for the surprise hit, but his trainer had said to use Iron Defense if Cuckoo was "buffing" himself—which he was, wasn't he? And what with the gunfire and all, Boris knows he'll fall soon if his opponent just repeats that attack. Secreting a thin layer of liquid metal, the Amaura rubs the tensile cast over his body and allows it to solidify. As the referee ends the round, Boris is gleaming brightly in the harsh sunlight, and while the Amaura is in clearly worse physical shape, Cuckoo's attacks have tired him out more.

I liek Squirtles (Ooo)
hoothoot
Cuckoo (m) <Insomnia>
Health: 99%
Energy: 88%
Currently: Rubbing his beak abashedly.
Used: Fly (up) ~ Sunny Day ~ Fly (down)

Dazel (Ooo)
Amaura
Boris (m) <Snow Warning>
Health: 83%
Energy: 92%
Currently: Not loving the heat. +2 Defense.
Used: Mirror Coat (failed) ~ Ice Beam (missed) ~ Iron Defense

Field Notes
-The sunlight is strong (7 more actions).
-The bank sign has been forcibly deprived of its supports and is now grounded.
-Farther away, many buildings have been damaged or destroyed from the hail.
-Main Plaza destruction counter: 2.

Action Notes
-Boris's Mirror Coat on action 1 failed because he wasn't targeted with a special attack.
-SWATs charged Boris when the bank took hail damage at the end of action 1, and when his Ice Beam missed on action 2.
-Since Boris was ordered with four conditionals per action, he had a 1/3 chance to do nothing, and a 1/6 chance to perform each move.

ILS commands next.

Last edited:
Good job there, Cuckoo! And without a scratch.

I'm sorry your big break has been cut so short, but your options are really limited against Boris. I'm afraid I'm going to have to switch to Fisticuffs. Don't worry, Cuckoo, you'll be back in later!

Switch to Fisticuffs

Damn, I forgot about the +4 conditionals rule.

All right, Boris. If for some reason you're able to attack before Cuckoo hightails his ass out, pelt him with an ice beam. Otherwise, use zen headbutt on Fisticuffs when he comes out.

Ice beam / zen headbutt x 3

I liek Squirtles (Ooo)
hoothoot
Cuckoo (m) <Insomnia>
Health: 99%
Currently: Rubbing his beak abashedly.
Commands: Switch to Fisticuffs

Dazel (Ooo)
Amaura
Boris (m) <Snow Warning>
Energy: 94%
Currently: Not loving the heat. +2 Defense.
Commands: Ice Beam / Zen Headbutt x3

Field Notes
-The sunlight is strong (7 more actions).

Round 2

Before either Pokemon can even think about moving, I liek Squirtles whips out a Poke Ball and recalls his Hoothoot in a burst of red light. The Pokemon taking Cuckoo's place on the field is none other than Fisticuffs, who looks appraisingly around at the various buildings and the harsh sun above before turning to face his opponent in a fighting stance. Boris closes his eyes and tries to attain a meditative calm, and his fins shine with a pinkish glow before he charges straight into Fisticuffs' stomach. The blow knocks Fisticuffs back; the Mienfoo skids on the lego pavement before coming to rest just before a building in construction, and Boris grins at his opponent's clear injury. Before Fisticuffs can prepare a retaliatory attack, however, the referee waves her flags to end the round.

I liek Squirtles (oOo)
mienfoo
Fisticuffs (m) <Regenerator>
Health: 88%
Currently: Trying to quell his headache.
Used: (switched in)
hoothoot Cuckoo: 99% health / 88% energy / Taking a nap.

Dazel (Ooo)
Amaura
Boris (m) <Snow Warning>
Energy: 89%
Currently: Cool. +2 Defense.
Used: Zen Headbutt

Field Notes
-The sunlight is strong (6 more actions).

Dazel commands next.

Last edited:
Damn, I forgot about this. Whoops.

Well, definitely don't want an amaura in here, so, uh, out with Firethorn, I suppose. Mercuria would be nice, but, a switch war would be less than pleasant.

Switch to Firethorn x3

I liek Squirtles (oOo)
mienfoo
Currently: Trying to quell his headache.
Commands: Aura Sphere x3

Dazel (Ooo)
Amaura
Boris (m) <Snow Warning>
Energy: 89%
Currently: Cool. +2 Defense.
Commands: Switch to Firethorn

Field Notes
-The sunlight is strong (6 more actions).

Round 3

Confident that it's time to get revenge for his opponent's sudden rush at him, Fisticuffs pours Fighting energy into the air, shaping it with his paws into a rough sphere. But the dull amber ball simply fizzles out, unable to find the energy signature it was created to track. Fisticuffs looks up at his opponent in confusion, only to find that Dazel has called Boris back and sent out a Cyndaquil to take place. Scowling, the Mienfoo concentrates once more and releases a larger burst of energy that hurtles straight towards Firethorn, bowling him over. The Cyndaquil attempts to simultaneously nurse his wound and glare at Fisticuffs, but before he can do anything, the referee raises her flags to declare the round over. (The SWAT team members fidget nervously; there hasn't been any arena destruction in two whole rounds, and from these Asber people, that's probably a record…)

I liek Squirtles (oOo)
mienfoo
Energy: 95%
Currently: Focused and in control.
Used: Aura Sphere

Dazel (oOo)
Cyndaquil
Firethorn (m) <Blaze>
Health: 86%
Currently: Raring to go.
Used: (switched in)
amaura Boris: 83% health / 89% energy / Grateful for the rest.

Field Notes
-The sunlight is strong (5 more actions).

Action Notes
-Aura Sphere was a critical hit.

Fisticuffs: 88 = 88
100 - 5 (Aura Sphere) = 95
Firethorn: 100 - 14 (Aura Sphere) = 86
100 = 100
ILS commands next.

Yes! Fisticuffs, let's keep at it!

On the first turn, let's distance ourselves speedwise with Rock Tomb. Then, use Aura Sphere and finish with Stone Edge.

If for some reason you can't hit Firethorn (bar Substitute), use Swords Dance. If there are clones up, use Aura Sphere.

Rock Tomb/Swords Dance/Aura Sphere~Aura Sphere/Swords Dance~Stone Edge/Aura Sphere/Swords Dance

o shit

Well, protect, first. You can take a few aura spheres, but that rock tomb'll hurt. Next, use extrasensory. Finally, use detect, to avoid that stone edge. You won't be dishing out a lot of damage this round, but it's enough. If the failure chance stacks with protect and detect (i.e. you have a higher chance of failing detect because you've used protect this round, I'm not sure if it works that way or not), use double team for one clone, and try to do it first if you can.

Protect ~ extrasensory ~ detect / double team

I liek Squirtles (oOo)
mienfoo
Energy: 95%
Currently: Focused and in control.
Commands: Rock Tomb / Swords Dance / Aura Sphere ~ Aura Sphere / Swords Dance ~ Stone Edge / Aura Sphere / Swords Dance

Dazel (oOo)
Cyndaquil
Firethorn (m) <Blaze>
Health: 86%
Currently: Raring to go.
Commands: Protect ~ Extrasensory ~ Detect / Double Team (1)

Field Notes
-The sunlight is strong (5 more actions).

Round 4

Eager to start off the battle right, Firethorn sets up a glimmering dome of energy that shines in the strong sunlight. Upon seeing his opponent's shield, Fisticuffs starts to perform an arcane, ancient dance, knowing that any attack he performs right now will be futile. Firethorn lets down his shield, disappointed that he didn't get to show his trainer how much he could withstand.

When Fisticuffs finishes his strange spin, the Mienfoo is much calmer, now aware of his opponent's smallest movements and knowing that his close-range attacks will be much more effective. Unfortunately, he won't get to show off his own new abilities too soon; his trainer's commands call for only distance moves. Gathering another ball of glowing aura between his paws, Fisticuffs fires it at his opponent, who yelps in surprise and pain as the pure energy eats away at his life force.

Firethorn calls upon his limited psychic power in preparation for a retaliatory attack. Surrounded by a blaze of damage-seeking pink energy, the Cyndaquil finds the spot where Boris attacked Fisticuffs earlier, then concentrates a mental barrage on the nerves in that area. While no visible attack seems to be plaguing Fisticuffs, the Mienfoo winces and screeches in pain, trying to guard his stomach from Firethorn's strange attack to no avail. Finally, the Cyndaquil lets up, proud of how much damage he seems to have done.

But now Fisticuffs is enraged, and his attacks will hit even harder thanks to his confidence-building warrior dance and desire for revenge. Not wanting to take one of those hits, the Cyndaquil summons a familiar uncanny alertness that lets him sense his opponent's control of Fighting energy. He's prepared for anything Fisticuffs can throw at him! …But the Mienfoo, no stranger to the Detect technique, is simply hopping from one foot to the other, building up his concentration again.

I liek Squirtles (oOo)
mienfoo
Health: 76%
Currently: Stop hiding and fight me! +4 Attack.
Used: Swords Dance ~ Aura Sphere ~ Swords Dance

Dazel (oOo)
Cyndaquil
Firethorn (m) <Blaze>
Currently: Still raring to go.
Used: Protect ~ Extrasensory ~ Detect

Field Notes
-The sunlight is strong (2 more actions).

Action Notes
-Dammit I was looking forward to writing arena destruction for the rock moves. Oh well.
-Firethorn and Fisticuffs have the same speed, so a die will be rolled whenever they use moves of the same priority. This round, Fisticuffs moved first on the second action.
-Protecting moves' chances stack consecutively, like they do in the games. If there isn't a real flavor reason for them to work differently, trust what happens in-game or ask in the Question Box.
-I've been forgetting to deduct from Aura Sphere's energy cost for STAB, so Fisticuffs gets 1% energy back.
Fisticuffs: 88 - 12 (Extrasensory) = 76
95 - 2 (Swords Dance) - 4 (Aura Sphere) - 2 (Swords Dance) + 1 (oops) = 88
Firethorn: 86 - 10 (Aura Sphere) = 76
100 - 2 (Protect) - 4 (Extrasensory) - 2 (Detect) = 92

Dazel commands next.

I wasn't sure if they stacked in the games, either. Anyway, time to attack first again! Probably just spam extrasensory, I guess. Not a lot of options here. I did the nice thing and sent out Firethorn instead of Mercuria who needs to evolve anyway and I liek Squirtles had to be ruthless. Unforgivable.

If he tries to use stone edge or rock slide, protect! If he does it twice and you've already used protect, use double team again, for two clones. It would be nice to stay away from that EXTREME ATTACK STAT, but I guess there's not a lot you can do? It would be nice to have magic coat or counter or something but you don't and everything is terrible.

Extrasensory / protect ~ extrasensory / protect / doubleteam ~ extrasensory / protect / doubleteam

heeheehee >)

Start this round right with a Fake Out. After that, Drain Punch times two to get some health back.

Fake Out~Drain Punchx2

I liek Squirtles (oOo)
mienfoo
Currently: Stop hiding and fight me! +4 Attack.
Commands: Fake Out ~ Drain Punch ~ Drain Punch

Dazel (oOo)
Cyndaquil
Firethorn (m) <Blaze>
Currently: Still raring to go.
Commands: Extrasensory / Protect ~ Extrasensory / Protect / Double Team (2) ~ Extrasensory / Protect / Double Team (2)

Field Notes
-The sunlight is strong (2 more actions).

Round 5

As soon as the ref lowers her flags, Fisticuffs runs straight for his opponent. The calm he gained in his earlier trance lets him pinpoint exactly where Firethorn is most vulnerable, but the Mienfoo isn't aiming to injure. He skids to a halt right in front of Firethorn, wildly flaps his arms, and yells nonsense while bugging his eyes out comically, then slaps the Cyndaquil and leaps backwards to his original position. Puzzled, Firethorn rubs the wound and ponders the sudden display, having forgotten all about his trainer's commands.

But before the Cyndaquil can retaliate, Fisticuffs charges at him again, fist wreathed in an amber glow. Firethorn is too slow to react, and ends up thrown dramatically into the air as Fisticuffs saps some of his energy with a solid punch aimed right where the Fake Out had hit.

The dazed Cyndaquil lands on the grass bordering the sidewalk and soon manages to roll over to an upright position. Gathering all the psychic energy he can muster with a fearsome roar, Firethorn hits his opponent with barrage after barrage of mental assault, focused on the areas he had targeted before.

One lucky hit makes the Mienfoo cry out in shock and look from building to building rapidly, trying to figure out the source of his pain. Did the SWAT team fire on him? But when he realizes it's Firethorn, the furious Fisticuffs summons a whirl of energy and punches the Cyndaquil. Firethorn shrieks as Fisticuffs's paw digs into his side, the aura surrounding it leeching away some of his energy. As the referee ends the round, both Pokemon are breathing heavily, but the life force Fisticuffs stole seems to have put him in better shape.

I liek Squirtles (oOo)
mienfoo
Health: 59%
Energy: 79%
Currently: Maniacal. +4 Attack.
Used: Fake Out ~ Drain Punch ~ Drain Punch

Dazel (oOo)
Cyndaquil
Firethorn (m) <Blaze>
Health: 46% (capped)
Energy: 84%
Currently: In a considerable amount of pain.
Used: (flinched) ~ Extrasensory ~ Extrasensory

Field Notes

Action Notes
-Firethorn's first Extrasensory was a critical hit.
-The strong sunlight faded after the second action.
-Firethorn hit the cap on the third action.
-This round, Fisticuffs moved first on the second action, and Firethorn moved first on the third action.
Fisticuffs: 76 + 6 (Drain Punch) - 16 (Extrasensory) + 5 (Drain Punch) - 12 (Extrasensory) = 59
88 - 3 (Fake Out) - 3 (Drain Punch) - 3 (Drain Punch) = 79
Firethorn: 76 - 8 (Fake Out) - 12 (Drain Punch) - 12 (Drain Punch) = 46 (capped)
92 - 4 (Extrasensory) - 4 (Extrasensory) = 84

ILS commands next.

Fisticuffs! I have a GREAT IDEA, and it's called ACROBATICS.

This is gonna be your spam for this whole round. Of course Stone Edge is stronger, but it misses more, and we need to knock out Firethorn to ease Cuckoo's job later on. If they try Protecting/Detecting, use Feint, and if they Double Team, Aura Sphere.

Acrobatics/Feint/Aura Sphere x3

Somehow I keep forgetting about this.

Well, Firethorn, you're pretty much fucked. Try digging straight down on the first round immediately, and then use lava plume from within the tunnel. The attack's wide range should hopefully ensure that you hit Fisticuffs even from underground. Next, finish up by completing your dig move and resurfacing. Aggressively.

Dig (down) ~ lava plume ~ dig (up)

Back
Top Bottom