• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sinnoh Choice Pokemafia [Game Thread]

JackPK

blame telegram
Pronoun
he/him
Eleven trainers gather one day at the Pokemon League, hoping to test their skills. The Elite Four will accept their challenges tomorrow, so they quietly go to sleep, unaware that some among their number are treacherous...

Night has fallen. 72 hours for night actions.

(Incidentally, I was asked via PM how the recruiting freemason works and I didn't think it fair for one person to get the info and everyone else not to, so here it is:)
The recruiting freemason is innocent and aims to recruit other innocents to communicate with. There will be bad consequences if the recruiting freemason tries to recruit someone who is actually mafia. That's all the detail I'll go into.

The Trainers fall into a deep sleep, but just before dawn, they are awoken by a loud screeching sound and a bright light. When they make their way out of their tents, they find one of their number has been destroyed nearly to unrecognizability by the raw energy that blinded them.

"Murder!" cries Cynthia. "We must find out who did it and punish them accordingly!"

The Trainers gather together in an enclosed room, determined to sniff out the culprit...

Zero Moment and his partner, Jynx, died. They were innocent.

48 hours for discussion.

Since I thought it might help, here's a list of people, their chosen locations, and a few possible Pokemon (not that the last one really matters, since I'm assuming from signup thread wording that the roles were randomized - confirmation, Jack? But since a lot of people chose a fairly exclusive place there's only one or two possible Pokemon that they could have, so.)

1. Keldeo: Wayward Cave (I guess I'll reveal that I have Garchomp. From this I'm assuming everyone else also has fully-evolved Pokemon.)
2. Altissimo: Distortion World (Giratina)
3. VM: Spear Pillar (Dialga or Palkia)
4. Eifie: Flower Paradise (Shaymin)
5. Superbird: Solaceon Ruins (Unown)
6. MF: Pal Park (anything RSE and prior)
7. ZM: Snowpoint Temple - Jynx, innocent. Killed n0, most likely by mafia.
8. Wargle: Hall of Origins (Arceus)
9. ILS: Jubilife (GTS = practically everything. Maybe something used often in competitive battling, or a rarer Pokemon?)
10. Mawile: Old Chateau (Rotom or Gengar)
11. Butterfree: Route 217 (Crobat, Machamp, Noctowl, Weavile, Mamoswine, Medicham, Glalie, Froslass, Abomasnow, Delibird, or Ursaring. While Glaceon would be somewhat of a stretch since it can't be encountered there, it could be a possibility because of the Icy Rock.)

Also, Jack, will there be one dedicated Don who must send in all night-kills, could either mafia member send it in MF-style, or will you not tell us? Anyway, from the list of roles, 2:9 is a pretty good ratio for town, though it's more likely due to the "alien-like role" that it's 2:8 and 1 third-party? (Though Jack didn't specify in the freemason description what would happen if they tried to recruit a non-innocent and non-mafia, so perhaps we shouldn't assume that.)

Regarding the death: "Loud screeching sound and a bright light ... destroyed nearly to unrecognizability by the raw energy that blinded them" might be a legendary signature move? Jack did say flavor would be relevant. But then again, ZM doesn't really seem like a mafia's first choice to kill, especially on n0 when there's no information and doctors/roleblockers will be less likely to target the right person. He's normally fairly quiet in the games he's in, iirc, so why not pick someone who's more active in discussions? Perhaps there was one of the redirection powers at work, or the mafia thought he would have Regigigas, which flavor-wise (Slow Start) would be an obvious choice for the "alien-like" role? Or maybe the mafia thought that the doctors would go for the more obvious people, so they picked a person you wouldn't normally think to be the mafia's target? I don't have any information, in any case; does anyone have any leads?

Oftentimes the Mafia pick on the people who don't always get killed first before they kill the more useful people. Nothing strategic about that, but it makes the game more fun - otherwise, people like Butterfree would never actually get to play.

Anyway, I will start the day by accusing Eifie on the grounds that I used a one-shot investigation power last night and she came up Mafia.

I'm assuming from signup thread wording that the roles were randomized - confirmation, Jack?
I had most of the roles in mind, and those were randomized and then flavored based on the choices y'all made in the signup thread. A small number of others have roles for which I picked the flavor and then the role.

Also, Jack, will there be one dedicated Don who must send in all night-kills, could either mafia member send it in MF-style, or will you not tell us?
I prefer not to say, but I will say that everyone in the game, mafia included, has something they have to send in to me during the night or else be modkilled for inactivity. Assume from that what you will.

?? eh?

I, uh... I'm not sure what you really want me to say to that except that I'm not mafia. I'm Shaymin (or rather, I have one) and I'm a full inspector. I use Seed Flare to send out a flare that lights up my surroundings and lets me discern someone's alignment. In my Land Forme my inspections cannot be roleblocked and in Sky Forme they cannot be redirected. I inspected Keldeo last night and she's innocent.

I doubt Superbird's lying, though, because it's only the first day and that would just be a really strange move, especially since the mafia:innocent ratio is so low already that they definitely wouldn't be able to afford to sacrifice a mafia to lynch a random innocent. Given all the scrambling, redirecting, and other undefined powers we've got lying around, my guess is that the result was tampered with. Especially since there are only 2 mafia out of 11, it would make a lot of sense for there to be many ways for the mafia to influence inspection results. Keldeo's right that ZM dying is pretty weird, since he hardly tends to speak up in other games anyway and tends to make himself look pretty suspicious, so he'd have been an easy lynch for mafia anyway. So maybe there was some scrambling happening last night.

Of course, my post is kind of useless if you, as is likely, don't believe me. :| I guess in that case you'll find out at the end of the day...

I have to agree that I'd be a little wary of inspection results in this game. Apparently there is both one dedicated inspector and multiple people with some inspection powers; in a game with such a low mafia/innocent ratio, that would just be plain broken if there weren't enough undetectable redirection/scrambling to introduce quite a bit of misdirection.

That being said, it is probably our best lead for the moment, unless anyone else has any information? If Eifie really is the dedicated inspector, obviously we don't want to rashly lynch her, though.

Like I said, it was one-shot. My role is basically that I get a random power for each night, based on a letter of the alphabet. I chose 'I', hoping for an early inspection, and, getting my wish, I inspected Eifie and found her mafia. I probably won't be able to inspect again unless I can pull shenanigans with guessing which other letters might represent inspection.

Although if Eifie is our inspector that would certainly be a risky move to lynch so early, and it's quite possible that I ended up with a paranoid inspection rather than a regular inspection, so I'll retract my accusation for now.

Like I said, it was one-shot. My role is basically that I get a random power for each night, based on a letter of the alphabet. I chose 'I', hoping for an early inspection, and, getting my wish, I inspected Eifie and found her mafia. I probably won't be able to inspect again unless I can pull shenanigans with guessing which other letters might represent inspection.

Although if Eifie is our inspector that would certainly be a risky move to lynch so early, and it's quite possible that I ended up with a paranoid inspection rather than a regular inspection, so I'll retract my accusation for now.

Hmmm. C for cop? D for detective? I dunno...

Does that make you one of the two wildcards, then? I guess you wouldn't actually know the answer to that.

Does that make you one of the two wildcards, then? I guess you wouldn't actually know the answer to that.

I'm pretty sure I can be considered to be one of the wild cards. I have Rotom, which means that I have six different forms to choose from with six different abilities. I also have an ability that I can use no matter what form I'm in. At the beginning of N0, I had to pick a form (I chose Wash form) and now I'm stuck in it until I'm forced out of it.

So last night, I used my ability that I can use in any form, which is basically a roleblocker. I received the name of 3 abilities that are in the game, (even if they weren't being used at the time or are inaccessible) and I had the option to choose to roleblock none or one of them. The three abilities I got the names of were Hidden Power, Heart Swap, and Roar of Time. I didn't roleblock any of them.

The other ability I could have used in my Wash form was an inspection scrambling ability which isn't very ideal for me to use. If you want to know what any of my other abilities are, then just ask away.

I will say more when I'm not running on an eight-hour flight and no sleep I promise but right now I can barely remember my own name let alone comprehend this

I'm pretty sure I can be considered to be one of the wild cards. I have Rotom, which means that I have six different forms to choose from with six different abilities. I also have an ability that I can use no matter what form I'm in. At the beginning of N0, I had to pick a form (I chose Wash form) and now I'm stuck in it until I'm forced out of it.

So last night, I used my ability that I can use in any form, which is basically a roleblocker. I received the name of 3 abilities that are in the game, (even if they weren't being used at the time or are inaccessible) and I had the option to choose to roleblock none or one of them. The three abilities I got the names of were Hidden Power, Heart Swap, and Roar of Time. I didn't roleblock any of them.

The other ability I could have used in my Wash form was an inspection scrambling ability which isn't very ideal for me to use. If you want to know what any of my other abilities are, then just ask away.

Did you happen to get to choose your alignment at the start of the game as well? When I saw the two wildcards on the role list I was wondering if they were like the variable role which we haven't seen for a while: the variable chooses an alignment and a power from a list at the start of the game. It would explain the low mafia numbers, possibly.

Incidentally, were you aware of Wash Form's exclusive ability when you picked it? If so, why'd you pick that form? Inspection scrambling is... basically what it sounds like, right?

Did you happen to get to choose your alignment at the start of the game as well?

I didn't get to choose my alignment, but I am innocent.

Incidentally, were you aware of Wash Form's exclusive ability when you picked it? If so, why'd you pick that form? Inspection scrambling is... basically what it sounds like, right?
I was not aware of the power when I chose it. I was only aware of the ability that's shared across all my forms (the roleblocking one) The way my role works is that I had to choose a form on N0, and then I'm stuck in it until I'm forced out of it. Apparently there are roles that can do that in this game, which'll make it easier for me to find out what my other abilities are.

How my inspection scrambling works is that I pick a target and then if they're inspected, then the results change. Not too useful for me to use.

Hm, so you still don't know any of the other abilities? You did tell us to ask if we wanted to know.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Heart Swap is Manaphy's signature move, right? Who could possibly have Manaphy? Is it just ILS?

Interesting. Sounds pretty bus-driver-y. (Don't feel obligated to confirm or deny this, ILS.) I'm guessing Hidden Power must be Superbird.

Back
Top Bottom