• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Should convicted felons get the right to cast a vote? [USA]

EvilCrazyMonkey

will be the prettiest little girl since Zac Efron.
They had a segment on the news about how convicted felons didn't have the right to vote--even out of prison. Honestly, I think that you should be able to vote no matter what.

Anyway, start the debate. :3

I agree, they should. What are they going to do in voting? O.o That makes no sense.

If someone's crazy enough to commit a felony, is that person sane enough to have a say in who'll be running the entire country for the next four years?
I doubt if it really matters that much, but I can see why it's an issue.

Sure, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to. What crime is a felon gonna commit by saying who he wants running the country?

>.> *Has got to stop posting in the debating hall while on the wii*

I can't explain my reasoning thouroughly at the moment

>.> *Has got to stop posting in the debating hall while on the wii*

I can't explain my reasoning thouroughly at the moment

A better idea would be to stop using the Wii browser; it's a cool gimmick I guess but it's completely useless compared to an actual browser 8V

I see absolutely no reason not to let them.

Insane people aren't allowed to vote. At least, not in the UK.

To be able to vote in a UK Parliamentary election, you must be:

*Aged 18 or over,
*A citizen of the UK, a Commonwealth country or the Republic of Ireland,
*Resident in a constituency and on the electoral register, and
*Not in a category barred from voting (see below).
*In addition, British citizens who have lived abroad for up to 20 years may vote, and voters in Northern Ireland must have lived in the constituency for the previous three months.

In all, more than 44 million people meet these criteria.

Barred from voting:

There are certain categories of people not allowed to vote:

*Members of the House of Lords. The ejection of most hereditary peers from the Lords in 1999 means that they will be able to vote - and stand - for the first time in a general election.
*Those in prison.
*People convicted of electoral malpractice are barred for five years.
*Echoing the rather arcane language of the legislation, "idiots" may not vote and "lunatics" only during their lucid periods. Those compulsorily detained in psychiatric hospitals, for example, cannot vote.

I dunno, to be honest. Loads of non-criminal people I know can't be bothered to vote, so it never really occured to me that someone locked up for dealing crack or whatever would really care if he could vote or not.

I don't really have a problem with it, though I don't think that a government saying that you lose your right to elect a head of state when you go and murder someone is a massive violation of human rights.

I think it's funny that "idots" can't vote. XD

What's wrong with someone having the right to vote?
Thought it was a right of America. Hell, thought that was the special part of America.

Ok, I was thinking in terms of, "Still in prison, shouldn't have any rights as they were forfeited, etc."

Yeah, once they are out of prison, sure they can vote again. But while in prison, no way

So you would rather have some random white supremacist voting than a felon?

I don't see why someone who happened to have committed a felony should not be able to vote when said person might be better informed and have something more worth saying than plenty of other people who are able to vote.

because when you're imprisoned you're subject to certain losses of your liberty

this can mean not being allowed outside [obv] but it could also mean other things like access to the Internet and stuff like that. I could see voting coming under that.

Back
Top Bottom