• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Random Question: Can Tripods Walk a Tightrope?

Murkrow

Says "also" and "or something" a lot
Pronoun
he
Okay, so I was watching my brother play Twilight Princess (at least half of my posts have something Zelda related in them :D) and he was walking across a rope as a wolf. I thought to myself that it looked funny because he had four legs.
I'm not sure whether it would be easier or harder like this, but another idea came into my head; if a three legged animal were to try to walk a tightrope, would it be able to?

Obviously an amputated cat would have difficulty doing it, but what about tripods like the machines in War of the Worlds (except smaller).

Depends. If their legs where in a triangular formation then probobly not. If their legs where in more of a straight line then maybe.

If their legs were in a straight line, they'd have trouble balancing on or off of a tightrope. I can imagine it... kinda, if it's back leg stayed behind it, centered on the rope, and the front two legs each formed a 45 degree angle on the top of the rop, right next to each other......but idk.....................

Are there any animals with only three legs...? Like, naturally?

EDIT: K, so I looked it up, and some marsupials in the same family as the kangaroo could possibly be considered tripedal, because they use their tails for balance, sometimes through direct contact with the ground......soooo.....

Well, wouldn't it be kinda hard to balance 2 legs on one side and one on the other? Not so sure that'd be very easy. xD

Of course they can. I did a whole project on it for Physics in second year.

Wait, if a person with two legs can, then why can't someone with three legs just... not use one of their legs?

Well if it was triangular then yes.

It can do baby steps with each foot, its form being a triangle facing a 45-degree angle if north were parallel to the rope. The "middle" foot would be between the "front and one of the side legs.

If the triangle were

F
M S​

then

F
M
S​

There.

Back
Top Bottom