• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

D/P/Pt Rule-Making Help needed

Coloursfall

THIS IS HOW WE BLEED
Ok, so There's going to be a casual D/P battling tourny at my local game store, and since it was my idea, I have to come up with rules. It's probably going to be less of the EV-training side (most people probably don't know how to do it. >>; ).

There are the basic rules that I already know about (The clauses, ban lists, ect) but I don't know what ones would be best to use.

I think that I'll probably have the DT Clause, OHKO clause... not sure what else. The ban list currently consists of:

-Wobbuffet/Wynaut
-Arceus (duh)

....and from there I'm drawing a blank. >_o what would others recommend for Rules/Guidelines/Ban List? I'm rather hopeless at this sort of thing.

(Also not sure if this goes here. Feel free to move or something)

Go check Smogon for their ban list: it's probably your best choice. I know FR Deoxys, Lati[a|o]s, Kyogre, Groudon, Mewtwo, Mew, Manaphy, Dialga, Palkia, Ho-oh, Lugia.... Don't know what else.

Sleep Clause, OHKO clause, ban Double Team, might want to consider Item Clause.

Alright, thanks much. :3

But one thing: I seem to be unable to find anything actually called a banned list on Smogon... or would it be the Uber List?

That depends on how casual you want things, really. A fair number of casual players probably don't care as much about evasion/OHKO clause, or may prefer to play without them. Just something to think about.

Also, you probably do want species clause in there.

I was thinking along the lines of casual-but-not-too-much-so if that makes any sense. It's kind of hard to explain.

On a sort-of similar note, Sleep Clause might be a bit hard to enforce. How would I work that?

And I'm trying to think of a Tourny style... What's usually done for Pokemon Tornys?

(Can you tell this is my first time doing this? >>; )

On a sort-of similar note, Sleep Clause might be a bit hard to enforce. How would I work that?
If you're playing PBR, you just need to set "More than one pokémon can be put to sleep" to "Disallow" in the rules settings. If you're playing purely DS-to-DS, you'll just need to have the players pay attention and tell you if someone broke the rules.

And I'm trying to think of a Tourny style... What's usually done for Pokemon Tornys?
There's loads of different formats. The simplest is to simply pair people up and play single-elimination. If you have a very small tournament, you could play round robin, where everyone plays everyone else and the person with the most wins in the end wins overall.

Whatever the case, you'll need some sort of official record of who wins and who loses; players should report wins/losses to you so that you can keep track of them and figure out new pairings if necessary.

Ok. I'll ask the owner of the Game store to help me (since he said he would already, hehe) keep track of sleep clause/ect. I've already asked him to check everyone's teams to make sure that they have no banned Pokemon or moves, so that'd work.

I'm starting to work on the stuff now, thanks for the help!

I forgot species clause :[

Sleep clause will likely rely mostly on the honor system. If you're not planning doubles, you can check to see if two Pokemon that do not know Rest are on the same team and asleep at the same time. Remember that Rest, for the purpose of sleep clause, does not count as sleep. Try to get people to police themselves mostly, though.

Depending on the tournament size, you'd either want round robin - assuming that it's a small-ish group - or elimination.

ETA: AH WHAT NINJA'D BY TWO PEOPLE >:|

Yah, Species clause and Items clause are always nice. No more than one of each Pokémon and one of each item. By the way, Playing DS Wireless doesn't have auto leveling, does it? :/

Don't do item clause. It really is completely pointless.

Apart from that, everything's just about covered. Sleep Clause is probably the most important one, because without it things like Breloom, Smeargle, Butterfree and Parasect (well, maybe not the last two :P) and their 100% accurate sleep moves could wreck the balance. And annoy the people playing against them, of course.

By the way, Playing DS Wireless doesn't have auto leveling, does it? :/
Oh, yeah, completely forgot about that. Totally lame. If you have the option to play PBR, then, I'd recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom