• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Half-Life 2

PK

off to save time and space
Well, I figure someone else on here must like it. Let's discuss the combine invasion, the G-man's seemingly sinister intentions, the generally awesome vortigaunt, and how eager Alyx is to get in to Gordon's HEV suit.

You know it to be true.

Well I'm not going to deny it.

Gordon seems like a fine man in any case. I mean, he has a PhD. :P
Put to great use when you shoved the cart of stuff into the thingie in Half-Life 1 and again when you plug Dr. Kleiner's device in.

Well I'm not going to deny it.

Gordon seems like a fine man in any case. I mean, he has a PhD. :P
Put to great use when you shoved the cart of stuff into the thingie in Half-Life 1 and again when you plug Dr. Kleiner's device in.

Well, MIT graduates are few and far between. SOMEONE'S gotta flip the switches.

And the man knows how to kill him some zombies. And combine. And Zombine.

Didn't you notice the warning on the box? "WARNING- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PRESS BUTTONS OR OPEN GATES UNLESS YOU HAVE AT LEAST A PHD IN THEORETICAL PHYSICS."

So.. Anyone got any theories?

I can't wait for episode three comes out. They're going to have to have Gordon lose all of his weapons somehow. I hope it isn't a helicopter crash or something, that would be too predictable.
I really want the original Half-Life, but I can never be bothered to buy it.

This is one of the games that I replay most often, especially episode two with all of the achievements. (I've finally gotten the garden gnome into he rocket) The one I'm currently working on is not letting the striders destroy any of the buildings.

You know what's really fun? A replacement mod that I downloaded that makes Alyx look like Zelda or Zero Suit Samus.

EDIT:
Y'know what? I'll go and play it now. When this virus scan finishes. :(

EDIT2:
Has anyone else found the LOST easter egg down in Uriah's lab in EP2?

Last edited:
I did find that LOST easter egg, it made me squeal with glee because I love Lost too.

And did you really get that gnome into the rocket? How do you get past those driving chapters?

Also, episode 3 is gonna be so awesome. And I hope the helecopter doesn't crash; maybe the Borealis has some kind of weapon confiscating feild, or something? Super Gravity Gun!

I did find that LOST easter egg, it made me squeal with glee because I love Lost too.

And did you really get that gnome into the rocket? How do you get past those driving chapters?

Also, episode 3 is gonna be so awesome. And I hope the helecopter doesn't crash; maybe the Borealis has some kind of weapon confiscating feild, or something? Super Gravity Gun!

It took me forever to get through the driving parts. What was more annoying was that since I was having Alyx look like Zelda at the time, I couldn't tell whether the gnome had fallen out of the car, or just being covered by her dress. I did it eventually. There are some parts where you can leave the gnome somewhere and go back for it later, but not the majority of the driving levels :(

Also, I think valve has said that they're not going to be bringing back the super gravity gun in the HL2 games.

Maybe in HL3. Hopefully.

idk I could never hardcore get into HL2

the storytelling is a gigantic cocktease that only satisfies in the form of wild fan speculation, most of the weapons feel kinda crappy, I got tired of the gravity gun after about the third physics puzzle, and a silent protagonist in a game where everyone else talks has just gotten kinda sad and awkward now no matter how much they mock themselves for it.

@ Murkrow: Yeah, they did say that, but I can dream, can't I? xD

Anyway, I've tried bringing the gnome, but I end up gravity-launching it at antlions or something and then not being able to find it. I DID, however, manage to squash all the antlion grubs. When the game was in OFFLINE MODE. ;-; Anyway, in case anyone cares, my Steam ID is PK_.

@ Eevee: To each his own. I like the weapons and gravity gun. And I suppose I'm drawn to the mysterious only-reveal-a-little-at-a-time storylines. It feels as if you're part of something larger.

And you gotta admit, it would be freakin' weird if Gordon started talking. After he's allready been established as a silent protagonist.

And a ton of awesome games have a silent protagonist. xD

I've never been able to get all of them. :(

The achievements I haven't gotten are:
Squish all of the grubs.
Run over 20 enemies in the car. (which I did, I just forgot that I had cheats on ;_;)
Defeat the helicopter with no misses.
Save all buildings from the striders. (I managed t save them all except the last one)
Kill a hunter with it's own flechettes. (how?)
Kill a combine with his own grenade.

To kill a hunter with it's flechettes, pick something up and let them imbed themselves in it. Then, launch it at the hunter. Same effect as the AR2's alt fire.

Achievements I have not gotten:
Save all buildings from the striders. All except that damn sawmill!
20 Enemies. Same as Murkrow.
Squish all grubs. Offline mode D:
Rocket-gnome-putting-in.
And... Something else, i'm sure. xD

For the Hunter-flechettes achievement, pick up a prop with the gravity gun, use it to shield yourself from the flechettes (so the Hunter fires them into your prop) and punt it at the Hunter with the gravity gun.

Okay, thanks!
I'll do it tomorrow, seeing as how it's a wee bit late to start a game today.

So, do you think that the Borealis being from Aperture Science means anything significant? Because some portal gun action in Half-Life 2 has some potential.

I keep meaning to get the Little Rocket Man achievement, but at the moment I don't even have Episode Two installed (thanks in no small part to my connection's newfound 'whoo disconnecting; slow speed when reconnecting :D!!!' attitude). During Riding Shotgun (and the ending of Freeman Pontifex), isn't it possible to just jam the gnome in the front of the car and just keep an eye on it?

I have no idea. The furthest I've ever gotten is getting the gnome to the car, and then the gnome just falls through the floor.

So, do you think that the Borealis being from Aperture Science means anything significant? Because some portal gun action in Half-Life 2 has some potential.

I don't think it'll be the portal gun. There would have to be massive amounts of coding involved. Also, they'd have to make something happen if you shoot an enemy with the portal gun, which would be boring if it was just the same affect as the AR3 AR2's alt fire.

There might be another GLaDOS on board, though.

I once saw someone say that there was something to do with GLaDOS on the blueprints to the Borealis on the sceen in EP2. Is there any truth in this?

EDIT:
I keep meaning to get the Little Rocket Man achievement, but at the moment I don't even have Episode Two installed (thanks in no small part to my connection's newfound 'whoo disconnecting; slow speed when reconnecting :D!!!' attitude). During Riding Shotgun (and the ending of Freeman Pontifex), isn't it possible to just jam the gnome in the front of the car and just keep an eye on it?
It falls out a lot, so it's really difficult to stay alive with a helicopter shooting at you constantly.

I highly highly highly doubt it. Most of the plot details have yet to be finalized. And, yeah, I would rather have GLaDOS than the portal gun. Maybe a remake of Still Alive featuring Gordon and the Antlions!

*insert Jose and the Pussycats style theme song for Gordon and the Antlions here*

But the portal gun could be useful in ambushing groups of combine or something. Eh...
I'm not sure the portal gun is a good fit for Half-Life 2. But you know those wizards at valve, they could probably find some way to do it.

Last edited:
On the Borealis blueprints, GLaDOS is written where I'm fairly sure the designer's (very likely to be the wrong term but I can't think of a better one) name is meant to go, yes.

Back
Top Bottom