• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Are you right-handed, left-handed, or ambidextrous?

coughsalot

I have returned!
Like most people, I am right-handed but I shake with the left hand because apparently, 95% of people don't bother to wash their hands after doing...
stuff.

Left handed!

The world is so right handed, it's not fair. I look around and most things have been designed for righties.

My laptop - USB ports on the right so I have to have the mouse wire either stretched around the back or completely in my way.
Zelda Twilight Princess for the Wii: Flipped :(
Gamecube controllers (and almost every other game controller ever): The control stick is on the left and buttons on the right. I never realized that these were the wrong way round until I got a Wii and couldn't decide which hand to hold the nunchuck with.
Counter (just a little clicky thing that adds one to the current number every time you click it): The button is on the right side.
Computers & misc technology: The eject button for CDs and floppies are on the right.
Can openers
etc.

On the bright side, some things are made for us lefties, like my calender. It gives random facts about left handed people and birthdays of famous left handed people. (although mostly baseball players that I've never heard of)

Last edited:
Left handed!

The world is so right handed, it's not fair. I look around and most things have been designed for righties.

My laptop - USB ports on the right so I have to have to mouse wire either streched around the back or completely in my way.
Zelda Twilight Princess for the Wii: Flipped :(
Gamecube controllers (and almost every other game controller ever): The control stick is on the left and buttons on the right. I never realized that these were the wrong way round until I got a Wii and couldn't decide which hand to hold the nunchuck.
Counter (just a little clicky thing that adds one to the current number every time you click it): The button is on the right side.
Computers & misc technology: The eject button for CDs and floppies are on the right.
Can openers
etc.

On the right side, some things are made for us lefties, like my calender. It gives random facts about left handed people and birthdays of famous left handed people. (although mostly baseball players that I've never heard of)

I was actually left handed once, but my parents "corrected" it. :(

I'm almost completely left-handed. I only use my right hand for typing, really. :3

ETA: can openers can FUCK RIGHT OFF.

Right-handed, but how is this thread ever going to amount to any interesting discussion?

ETA: OH I KNOW. It's just here so that the lefties can bitch about how "EVERYTHING IS RIGHT-HANDED" and whatnot.

I was actually left handed once, but my parents "corrected" it. :(

That's just cruel. :D

Right-handed, but how is this thread ever going to amount to any interesting discussion?

ETA: OH I KNOW. It's just here so that the lefties can bitch about how "EVERYTHING IS RIGHT-HANDED" and whatnot.
Not really, maybe some people want to know these things.
Although I do generally use these threads to bitch about that. xD

Not everything is right handed. QWERTY keyboards are easier for lefties iirc.

Well, uh, it is.

Left-handed people have been shown to have more disorders involving the nervous system, autism, stuttering, cerebral palsy, mental retardation, epilepsy, and schizophrenia. They also tend to have some minor physical anomalies -- like low-set ears and mismatched fingers.

Plus, I think brain-dominance is really interesting. Like how right-handed people tend to be better at mathematics, while lefties are more creative. And how, apparently, lefties are 39% more likely to be gay.

Not to mention that
southpaw.jpg

and
leftieicon004.jpg

:D

Like how right-handed people tend to be better at mathematics, while lefties are more creative.

I've heard this as well, but that's weird because I'm one of the best at maths in my class and I don't have a creative spark in my entire body.

Maybe it's the other way around xD.

Like how right-handed people tend to be better at mathematics, while lefties are more creative.
I'm right handed, but I hate math and most people would say that I'm one of the most creative people they know. Although for the last year and a half or so my creativity has pretty much been dead. :(

Murkrow said:
Not really, maybe some people want to know these things
uh... why? :P

I'm right handed, but I hate math and most people would say that I'm one of the most creative people they know. Although for the last year and a half or so my creativity has pretty much been dead. :(
I hate it too, but just because you hate it doesn't mean you're not good at it. (are you?)
uh... why? :P
Because people are weird? I dunno.

Anyway, as I asked in the old forums. Some people have a rare condition that makes their organs on the other side (heart on the right etc.) I've just been wondering if left handed people are more common with them.

tendency =/= THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS AND YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE DIFFERENT LOL

good lord

I know, but it's still fun to be an exception. :P

Murkrow said:
I hate it too, but just because you hate it doesn't mean you're not good at it. (are you?)
I don't know if I have a good brain for mathematics or whatever, but math is by far my worst subject so I would probably say no. :(

I don't know if I have a good brain for mathematics or whatever, but math is by far my worst subject so I would probably say no. :(

I hate that too. I'm bad at the subjects I like and good at the ones I hate. >.<

Anyway, more on-topic
According to my calender (<_<) left handed people excel at athletics, (which I don't) and that's why it's good to have a few left handed people in a while; to hunt better and help the race survive.
The thing is, if this is true then why isn't everyone left handed?

I'm the only lefty in my family, which made stuff like trying to figure out the can opener pretty interesting. But it's great in sports, nobody ever expects left-handed people. >:D

According to my calender (<_<) left handed people excel at athletics, (which I don't) and that's why it's good to have a few left handed people in a while; to hunt better and help the race survive.
The thing is, if this is true then why isn't everyone left handed?

As far as I know, lefties have an advantage in situations where people are expected to be right-handed. In a game like cricket, a leftie hits the ball in a completely different direction than a right-handed person would, giving them an advantage.

I read somewhere that shaking hands is traditionally done with the right hand so that it is impossible to draw a weapon like a sword on the person while you're shaking hands. Unless, of course, you're left-handed.

Of course, this isn't always true. Spiral staircases, for example, are rigged against lefties. A person who uses their left hand to wield a gun has to completely expose themselves around the curve, while a righty only needs to move out a little.

Clearly, I know too much about this.

Back
Top Bottom