• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Idolizing people - is it healthy?

Furretsu

World of Glass
Thread title says it all, basically.

The past few weeks, I keep catching myself looking up Shirley Manson images, videos, interviews, etc. without realizing it. I model my actions by thinking about how she would handle a situation. It's really really weird.

I dunno. Should I be worried?

I'd be really worried if idolising people was unhealthy (:
I mean, if you really like someone then I don't see a problem with idolising them like that... as long as you don't take it too far and your whole life becomes consumed by this person's actions and you spend all your time thinking about them, or anything.

Uh, if there's anything I can say... it's probably closer to "normal" than you think it is! Yes.

i only idolise people that should be idolised, and even then i don't try to meet them or look up too much to them

the only person that I consider an "idol" in the remotest sense of the word is Daniel Gildenlow and that is purely ideological

The past few weeks, I keep catching myself looking up Shirley Manson images, videos, interviews, etc. without realizing it. I model my actions by thinking about how she would handle a situation. It's really really weird.

I do similar things

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, so long as you don't do everything they ever do or try to be like a clone of them

Thread title says it all, basically.

I dunno. Should I be worried?

Idolizing is unhealthy, having a role model isn't. You're between those two in my opinion! It's not that unhealthy.

I'd be really worried if idolising people was unhealthy (:
I mean, if you really like someone then I don't see a problem with idolising them like that... as long as you don't take it too far and your whole life becomes consumed by this person's actions and you spend all your time thinking about them, or anything.
*gentle weeping*

not really

I wouldn't but just make sure you don't cross into stalker territory. :/

then you're delusional

imo

well fictional people can have perfectly developed personalities, so no.

idolizing is stupid and unnecessary. Now, admiring someone, and thinking that 'hmm they do this kind of thing, I agree with that so much, I think it would be better if I did something like that' is perfectly ok, drawing off various people as you try to refine your own character. But you are pretty lame if you try to be just like X person in all sorts of ways.

It's okay to look up to people! As long as you don't let it get too far. (Stalkerish crazy obsessive levels) And really, it doesn't sound that bad.

I personally model my actions off of the people I am close to in my life, I admire them and absorb a piece of them into my personality. Sometimes I'll use phrases they use or act a bit more like them. I find that I'm rather easily influenced, really my entire life I've had a role model or someone I've admired like that.

Back
Top Bottom