• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Why do people think it ok to not know math?

Cyndaquil

Flare up your ideas, be careful not to burn them~
I mean really people should try to learn math. People gain some respect for it even unlike not knowing to read which is something to be ashamed of(Usually). So I want to know what you think?
By the way Math is one of my favorite subjects.

Well, of course it's not okay to not be able to at least do basic math. Knowing more than that is always good too; but I don't suppose it's a great tragedy if a person skips out on learning, say, Trigonometry if they're not going into any field that requires it. Math isn't my favorite subject nor the one that I'm best at, but I can do it as it's required of me.

Well, of course it's not okay to not be able to at least do basic math. Knowing more than that is always good too; but I don't suppose it's a great tragedy if a person skips out on learning, say, Trigonometry if they're not going into any field that requires it. Math isn't my favorite subject nor the one that I'm best at, but I can do it as it's required of me.
I think that most people will still need to know more than basic math I mean really most people have to have that stuff with their bills done by someone else because they don't know it I mean really why do people think its cool to not know anything about math?

Who are you Implying should learn english?

Why do people think it ok to not know grammar?

I mean it make you look like idiot(Usually) .

ontopic: I don't really care about math tbh

I highly doubt that most jobs even use most of the things covered in Algebra II.
Then again, you never know.

ha ha okay funny story so in our old math textbooks in every section there would be a little "Real World Applications" box that is trying to convince young students that yes! math is useful in the real world TOO! and whatnot.

only: I kid you not, one of these little explanations was "you can use the material in this chapter when you're at the beach, and you want to find the volume of a mound of sand!" and also "you can use this if you're at a deli, and you want to how many different possible types of sandwiches there are!". They were all like this. UH, GUYS? YOU'RE NOT EXACTLY DOING MUCH TO FURTHER YOUR CASE.

Some people think it's cool to not do anything educational. I'm personally getting sick of seeing things to the effect of "Who the fuck reads books?" under that section on people's MySpaces.

Some people don't even realize what dumbasses they are. It's sad. :\

I wish I could learn math more effectively. I try very hard, and I think that intricacy and logic of it are amazing and fascinating once I understand, but I am really bad when it comes to knowing why it works the way it does, why such precise steps must be taken in the specific ways that they are. As a result, I can never remember the proper steps and usually end up forgetting a small detail, thereby screwing up the entire answer.

I love the idea, but I hate having to do it. It's embarrassing to ask a teacher to explain things again and again...

Some people think it's cool to not do anything educational. I'm personally getting sick of seeing things to the effect of "Who the fuck reads books?" under that section on people's MySpaces.

That was almost a running joke in our awesome language arts class from last year. We would make fun of anyone who admits to reading a book, despite almost all of us reading books for fun once in a while. Although we kind of stopped halfway through the year when this new kid came. He read (on average) twenty books a month. :P

I'll occasionally read a book if it interests me, but my parents are always "BORED? READ A BOOK LOL" and I'm all "screw you, imma go play video games". In general, most books don't hold my attention. :|

I'll occasionally read a book if it interests me, but my parents are always "BORED? READ A BOOK LOL" and I'm all "screw you, imma go play video games". In general, most books don't hold my attention. :|

Ditto. XD I do like reading sometimes, but it really has to catch my interest right away.

I wish I could learn math more effectively. I try very hard, and I think that intricacy and logic of it are amazing and fascinating once I understand, but I am really bad when it comes to knowing why it works the way it does, why such precise steps must be taken in the specific ways that they are. As a result, I can never remember the proper steps and usually end up forgetting a small detail, thereby screwing up the entire answer.

I love the idea, but I hate having to do it. It's embarrassing to ask a teacher to explain things again and again...

I don't memorize the math things.... I write down the formulas etc before I do a problem so that way I can remember it. I have no need to remember things they just stick in my head.

Quoth a very special math teacher of mine: "It is not the material itself that is hard, but rather the way it is presented to you that makes it hard."

That year was heaven compared to the algebra class I took the year before, which was a nightmare--I actually understood math thanks to her.

You don't just learn advanced math because your teachers are hoping (probably in vain) that you will go on to become a programmer or a math teacher or whatever. You learn it because it teaches you about logic, problem solving... that sort of thing. Fuck no I'm not going to teach college calc, but the way math exercises my brain is going to pay off somewhere down the road. Or, at least, that's what I'm told the general idea is.

...or, rather, it would help me out down the road if I could actually retain any math knowledge at all. O hai thur security calculator I still hug when I need to do anything more complicated than basic multiplication/division. D: and even that sometimes D:D:D:

I think everyone needs to know basic math and maybe a little more advanced then that, but not everyone should need to know some extreme alegebra or anything.

I don't like math but my math teacher is awesome xD

I think that most people will still need to know more than basic math I mean really most people have to have that stuff with their bills done by someone else because they don't know it I mean really why do people think its cool to not know anything about math?

Whoa super long run on sentence and uh I think people let others do their bills for them because they're either lazy or they don't trust themselves to do bills correctly and I think people are stupid if they can't even do simple and it's really hard to type in run on sentences because my fingers keep on reaching for the period key but whatever and I don't like math that much because I don't like the tons of homework I have to do and I don't see how I'm going to use trigonometry or algebra in life unless I'm trying to figure out the volume of this sand castle I build here on this random beach that I don't go to.

*gasp* Talking in run-on sentences is hard.... Anyway, simple math is useful in real life, but complicated math (like algebra and that kind of stuff) is, as far as I can tell, not useful at all unless you have a job related to it or something. And then there's always this awesome invention called the calculator...

Well, people probably think it's okay not to use it because a lot of them struggle with it. Math isn't something that a lot of people find easy. Nor is much of it necessary beyond the basics unless you're going in a job that specifically requires it. I myself hate it with a burning intensity. Why? Because I suck. No seriously, I really DO suck. And I'm not just your typical person who can't do the more complicated stuff either, I can't do long division and struggle immensely with multiplication. (That's why I love you, calculator~)

Don't even get me started with mental math, I can't even divide in my head and I can't add three digit numbers unless they've got two zeroes somewhere in them, same with subtraction and multiplication. Always struggled with stupid math my whole life. I tell you, my mind is horrible with numbers. I can barely remember my own phone number, let alone do math with stuff.

And that's why some people think it's okay not to know it, because they don't like it. Nobody likes what they dislike. Also, others may just think it serves no purpose for their future jobs, the more complicated math. (like Geometry and all that jazz)

Oh my God. I am the same way, Arylett. D: Numbers in general tend to my head spin. ): I have a hard time even with Sudoku, not because of how it works, but because I am confused by and don't know what to do with the numbers. I always feel like they need to be applied in some more complicated way.

Quoth a very special math teacher of mine: "It is not the material itself that is hard, but rather the way it is presented to you that makes it hard."
everything I have seen in math classes has convinced me that this is absolutely true. most math teachers suck ass at teaching math, and textbooks are often not much better.

if you had to learn a rhyme to remember the quadratic formula, you are Doin' It Wrong. you should be able to derive the quadratic formula in a pinch.

You don't just learn advanced math because your teachers are hoping (probably in vain) that you will go on to become a programmer or a math teacher or whatever. You learn it because it teaches you about logic, problem solving... that sort of thing. Fuck no I'm not going to teach college calc, but the way math exercises my brain is going to pay off somewhere down the road.
truth

although there are of course the practical applications too; a deeper understanding of math in general will tend to make you better at solving real problems. but these aren't things you can put in a math book to lure in high schoolers.

...or, rather, it would help me out down the road if I could actually retain any math knowledge at all. O hai thur security calculator I still hug when I need to do anything more complicated than basic multiplication/division. D: and even that sometimes D:D:D:
dammit you guys do I have to open tcod math class

Well, people probably think it's okay not to use it because a lot of them struggle with it. Math isn't something that a lot of people find easy. Nor is much of it necessary beyond the basics unless you're going in a job that specifically requires it. I myself hate it with a burning intensity. Why? Because I suck. No seriously, I really DO suck.
granted there are always things that some people are good at and some people are just bad at, but I still have to wonder how much of this is caused by a bad foundation

it is very hard for me to accept that a large number of people are inherently incapable of grasping a field built entirely upon logic

Also, others may just think it serves no purpose for their future jobs, the more complicated math. (like Geometry and all that jazz)
I guess if your future job is working at home depot

wait no lol there's math there too

I have a hard time even with Sudoku, not because of how it works, but because I am confused by and don't know what to do with the numbers. I always feel like they need to be applied in some more complicated way.
so replace the numbers with letters or symbols or names of states or whatever. there is zero math in sudoku; the numbers are completely irrelevant

everything I have seen in math classes has convinced me that this is absolutely true. most math teachers suck ass at teaching math, and textbooks are often not much better.

if you had to learn a rhyme to remember the quadratic formula, you are Doin' It Wrong. you should be able to derive the quadratic formula in a pinch.
I'd tend to agree with that. At least for me, I find that if I'm able to understand the concepts behind something rather than simply memorize a method or a formula to solve a specific kind of problem. I may never be able to forget the Quadratic Formula now (Q@%Q@$#% song), but I'll bet if I'd been taught how to arrive at it myself rather than having it pounded it into my head by listening to this obnoxious guy repeat a rhyme about it for fifteen minutes of class I'd be better off.

I'm not a huge fan of math, nor am I particularly good at it, but I think that learning it is important to get a good grasp on it, if only for the reasons that Kratos and Eevee mentioned. Doing math is a good way to build your problem-solving abilities and mental agility, which will benefit you in almost all areas.

Back
Top Bottom