• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

September Contest 2008

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
The September Contest

It's that time of year again--the League Championships are over, gyms all across the region are closing down for the off-season, and dejected youngsters are dragging themselves back to their hometowns to enjoy another year of school before they are once more released to go wandering across the land in search of glory. With a long and bleak winter sprinkled liberally with presentations and exams in their future, many are understandably depressed.

Just because school's in session, though, doesn't prevent young trainers from having the occasional opportunity to distract themselves for a brief time with some classic pokémon fun. And indeed, though the league's arenas are locked up, the contest hall is still open--and it's gotten a recent makeover, too!

In order to commemorate the reopening of ASB, I am pleased to announce the first contest of the new league. Anyone is welcome to enter, and this contest will admit either one week's worth or sixteen applicants, whichever comes first. As always, two secondary referees are required to grade appeals, and a ribbon for a prize would be very nice as well.

This contest features no special rules in the first appeal round, save that entrants may use only basic- or baby-stage pokémon that can evolve at least once. The battle round bans chills, so use that energy wisely!

The terrain for this appeal is a little different than usual. The contest stage has been set up like a stereotypical elementary schoolroom. A green blackboard is hung on the stage-right wall, with a large teacher's desk, covered in books and papers, directly in front of it. Beyond that are several rows of small, wooden desks, most with nametags affixed to them with egregious amounts of tape. The upstage wall is covered in the traditional cheery, cheesy posters one would find in a classroom ("Read!", a poster about parts of speech, motivational posters with cartoon characters on them, and so forth). The place is devoid of students, of course, but do with it what you will. Also note that this stage is enclosed, meaning that weather moves will have no noticeable effect.

Prizes are standard:

1st Place: $50, September Ribbon
2nd Place: $30
3rd Place: $15

Post your appeals to claim a place! Please include a link to your profile post, and keep in mind that items and modifications have no effect during contests.

Last edited:
:D contest contest! I want to be in!

So I pick... Uh.

[Jin] Bronzor (X)
Ability: Heatproof

Prooofile

And... Appeal! So, we're in a classroom, eh Jin? We can handle this! I want you to heft the desks into a nice pyramid with Psychic, and try to make it look.. interesting, I guess. When that's done, hover overtop of the pyramid (he... can do that, right?) and send a Gyro Ball crashing down into the pyramid, and mix a Flash Cannon in there!

If you can't hover over the pyramid, just send the Gyro Ball and Flash Cannon into the pyramid from the back.

Psychic @ Desks ~ Gyro Ball + Flash Cannon @ Desks

Last edited:
I feel so restricted.

[Backfire] Cyndaquil (M) Blaze

Okay so this is not the best setting for fiery, destructive appeals, but I despise school so we're going to be doing it anyway. :D

I'm going to assume you can control the intensity of the flame on your back without taking up an action; if not, simply ignore your orders relating to that.

First off, start with your back-flames at the lowest power; make them just four glowing dots on your back if you can. Keep it like that for a bit, then Howl.

Then, slowly, have your back-flames start burning more and more powerfully until it's blazing as powerfully as you can get it to. As the flame builds up on your back, use Flame Wheel to surround your entire body with fire - but don't move onto the actual attacking part. Instead, you'll just want the fire surrounding you, as you build up the next attack - Overheat. That one should be done normally. If you must aim it in one direction, that'll depend on the height of the ceiling. If it's only as high as a normal classroom, aim for the teacher's desk; otherwise, if it's much higher because it's a contest and that's more logical, try to send the attack up to the ceiling, as high as possible.

Howl ~ Flame Wheel + Overheat

If you happen to end up setting a huge fire, don't be surprised (even though I may be). Instead, try to blend in with and disappear into the flames - though only if they're big enough. Then I'll try to discreetly recall you, so the flames can die down without you within them... but if it's not possible to be discreet or the flames aren't strong enough, you'll just be left out and nothing special really happens. I suppose you'll be tired by the end of it, but try not to look tired.

Ugh I hope you're strong enough for this. << I suppose that having you make four 20% substitutes and having my other pokemon break them, just to activate your ability without injuries, would be cheating, wouldn't it...

And my profile link.

Last edited:
[Tadpole] Poliwag (F)
Ability: Water Absorb

Okay Tadpole, I'm going to send you out onto one of the desks. Then I want you to use BubbleBeam up into the air, then fire an Ice Beam at the bubbles. Next, use a Whirlpool to catch the frozen bubbles, and then try and stop the Whirlpool when the bubbles are in a rough circle.

BubbleBeam ~ Ice Beam ~ Whirlpool

Profile linkamabob

All right, let's go for Delve:

[Delve] Gastly (M) <Levitate>

Okay, for the start of your appeal, I need you to remain completely invisible. Use a Psychic to wreck the room as much as you can- slam desks into each other, send books flying across the room, whatever. Then once the destruction fades, make a Haze for an eerie setting. Finally, fade your eyes, and only your eyes, into sight in the thick of the fog and if possible give the crowd a Mean Look, if you can figure out where they're watching this from.

Psychic (while invisible) ~ Haze ~ fade eyes into sight in the thick of the fog (Mean Look @crowd, if possible)

I'll me sending out my male Electrike, Raikage.

[Raikage] Electrike [Male]
Ability: Static

Okay, let's start with a Double Team - Thunder Fang combo, to spice up the Double Team and give it a more "wild beast" effect. Try and create them around surrounding you if you have more than two, but if you have two or less get them to circle you. Then, we finish with a Shockwave! This widespread attack should rip through your own clones and hopefully throw all of the desks outwards, giving you a wide circle of destruction and completing the effect.

Double Team + Thunder Fang ~ Shockwave

Weak, I know. Yet, it's the most I can do with the Pokémon I have. >>

My profile

Okay, I'll send in

Beka-Growlithe-Female
Abillity-Intimidate

I'd also like to request that the lights be turned down for this part. I'm going for the "Haunted Schoolhouse" theme

Okay, now, take a seat ontop of one of the desks. First, I want you to give us a low, wavering, haunting howl. While you do that, I want you to form at least 10 blue balls of fire with will-o-wisp. Have those spin around you slowly, before you blot each and everyone out, one by one, with Hidden power[Dark] Or, if I can't control what the hidden power type is, use Agility to run through them, one at a time, slowly returning the field to darkness as the only light on the stage goes out...flame by flame.

Howl~Will-o-wisp~Secret power/Agility

Last edited:
Contest! Lemme try!

Profile linky

I'll chose Purr (Gible, M)
Ability: Sand Veil

OK, we'll go for a centrifugal-ish appeal. First, use a Twister, and try to whip up as much stuff as you can (especially the posters and other lighter things). Maintain the twister, and use Dragon Pulse straight up from the center to dislodge a part of the ceiling. Drop your control of the twister, and use Iron Head to blast that plaster!

Twister~Dragon Pulse~Iron Head

Lemmie try!(If I'm allowed.)
Profile.
My only Pokemon.=D (Moonshine, Eevee, F)Ability: Run Away)

Okay, Moonshine let's appeal! Climb on a desk and jmp from desk to desk to collect ripped/colored on paper and throw it on the floor. Then spin in a circle but don't make yourself dizzy, just enough to get some air moving. When the paper stars floating to the ground, run and tackle throgh to make the paper follow you.

Climb desk to get paper~Spin to get air moving~Tackle through the paper to make it follow you.

I'll enter Fern, my female Bulbasaur.

Alright Fern, let's try to start off with a Petal Dance and Leaf Storm combo, although try to make them a bit weaker with not as many leaves and/or petals, so the audience can still see you. Then use a Sweet Scent, which I think would blend in nicely as the leaves/petals are falling around you.

Leaf Storm+Petal Dance~Sweet Scent

My profile

Flareth you Stealer McStealerpants, Pearl is my Spoink's name D<

Last edited:
It is in fact.

Edit: Also, judge? Anybody? All you have to do is read some appeals and stick a number on them...

Can I join?
I will use....
Psycho (Male) Ability: Synchronize
Alright Psycho, let's start off with a Future Sight. Focus on the teacher's desk, and strike there later. Make sure to not hit the desk, but right above it make it, and make the ball of your psychic energy pop right there, so that it will make a cool glittery illusion. Afterwards, use a Shadow Ball on the bottom of the desk to flip it up, but not damage it. Try make the desk eerily glow with black and purple when the energy "eats up" the desk. Make sure the desk can be placed perfectly upright and straight when it lands. Finally, if Future Sight has hit already, use a Flash to brighten the stage, making no one see anything for a split second, and when the Flash has gone off, all they will see is the desk in perfect shape and the glitters from the Future Sight. Otherwise, if Future Sight hasn't hit, use a Magical Leaf and prepare to make it hit the Future Sight energy that will come soon, and when it does, use the Magical Leaf and hit the ball of energy, making the classroom shine.
Future Sight~Shadow Ball~Flash/Magical Leaf

plofile

[Schrödinger] Meowth (F) <Technician>

Ah, school. A place of guidance, of learning, of fun with little friends... and of bullies beating kids up for their lunch money! Yes, I like the last part. Let's go with the last part.

I'm going to release you underneath the teacher's desk; I'd prefer it if the audience couldn't see you, but if they can then just look extra sneaky and make it obvious that you're hiding from someone for not-very-nice reasons. Create a 20% Substitute. Yes, I know this isn't the battle round so technically the health percentage isn't needed, but I just want to be fairly sure the substitute doesn't break. (what a substitute appeal that doesn't involve utterly destroying it what is this witchery) Anyway, try and create it so that it isn't right next to you. The middle of the room would be nice, or at the very least in front of the desk instead of under it. And try not to make it too obvious that you're creating something (you're being super-sneaky-stealthy, remember?). Anyway, once the sub is created the fun begins. Make sure the sub looks like it's just standing there, minding its own business. And then, when the sub (and the audience, hopefully) least expects it, come tearing out from underneath the desk, grab the sub and punch the crap out of it! Use Pay Day as you are beating up the sub so that it looks like you're knocking all the poor little sap's money out of it--so, for example, drop some sparkly coins as soon as your fist connects with it. When you've thrashed sufficient funding out of it, open up a desk, stuff it unceremoniously inside and slam the lid down on it nice and hard. Too bad there aren't any lockers in here. Boooo.

Uh, and if the desks aren't the kind that open at the top and have room for books and whatnot inside, then, uh, just throw it against the teacher's desk instead.

Substitute 20% ~ Pay Day ~ Stuff sub into student desk/throw sub at teacher's desk

Yeah it's nothing special but I saw "school" and immediately thought "I need to go beat lunch money out of someone". Even if it doesn't go over well as an appeal, I regret nothing.

Union ID

The Twitchean Union mostly try towards domination-by-force, but of course there's no reason not to expand our influence by levering culture on our opposition, right? So we send this fighter to prove herself:

Torchic
Ganteiana [F] Ability: Blaze

Combo title: Summer's last stand

Okay Ganteiana, this combo is going to require some clever and precise use of your fire. Start off standing on the teacher's desk, then use swift and fire the stars in concentrated bursts to the far edge of the room. Quickly combo that with a flamethrower, but don't use very much of it-- aim for the swift stars and try to take them out in midair for a pretty explosion.shower of sparks/whatnot. Be cautious of the walls of the arena, though. Then, use Will-o-wisp and conjure up several flames to spiral around yourself. Try and look extra majestic and spooky-- you symbolize school spirit coming to take the summer away from the poor little kiddies.

Swift + Flamethrower ~ Will-o-wisp

Back
Top Bottom