• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Religion

T-man

Possibly the most debated (and deathly) topic ever, what do YOU think of it? Is it holding back humanity? Is it the path to enlightenment? Is it "God's" will? Is it a bucket of bull? Discuss. (No killing allowed!)

Skeptic but I don't care about what other people think as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else.

I'm a Christian, but I think that people should be allowed to believe in whatever the hell they want. I don't care what you believe. It's your choice, not mine.

you can't debate this properly as it's gonna go nowhere as christians are all gonna go like WE ARE RIGHT READ BIBLE PLZ and atheists are gonna go like NO THE BIBLE SUCKS etc. etc. etc. we've been over this already.

hence why religion is irrelevant, we don't need it to live our lives and if we personally believe in God is fine for us but it's not anything we need to bother anyone else with

I find religion (not just Christianity, mind you) a detriment to human development. Certain forms of oppression such as slavery and sexism, as well as a few wars, are usually justified by referring to a religious passage.

Personally though, I don't really care what other people believe as long as they don't shove it in my face or act like it makes them better than me.

With religion or not. There will be murder,slavery, sexism, fear, and hatred. Either way it's human nature all you can do is realize it and not let it control you. Murders and tyrant come from both sides. Life it self is violent. The world will not ever become or can ever become Utopian.

I believe in my own God. I have no proof or book He/She is real nor is there any followers than me. Call me idiot if you like. But, I will not call you the same.

I don't really care what people believe, as long as no crazed radical runs into my house with an AK. :/
It both helps and hinders. Thousands of years ago state religions were once one of the easiest ways to enforce laws, so they really made a huge difference in ancient times. Most religions also give people a belief in morality and what is right/wrong. Nothing wrong with that...
Religions even give hope during crappy times through prayer. People pray, and if they're religious enough they assume they'll be safe. Not a bad thing at all.
The only problem with religion is when things are misinterpreted and when there are crusades. Then again, people will "crusade" over cultural differences as well...

With religion or not. There will be murder,slavery, sexism, fear, and hatred. Either way it's human nature all you can do is realize it and not let it control you. Murders and tyrant come from both sides. Life it self is violent. The world will not ever become or can ever become Utopian.
I never said that all of the world's problems are caused by religion, nor did I say that getting rid of religion would magically solve everything. It's certainly doing more harm than good, though.

I don't care for any religion 'cept Shinto, though I'm agnostic. Some Christians have gotten too religious and are trying to force Christianity on people.

And Stalin was an athiest :D

Altmer's right, though; religion has no real place in a debate because it's obviously going to lose every time; there is no (or at least, very little) impirical evidence because the point of faith is to believe despite the lack of evidence or even in the face of opposing evidence.

I'm not too fond of religion, especially being forced to learn about different religions in class every so often. I find it pointless. Science normally renders religion wrong, and if you follow the bible word for word, we're apparently all products of incest. (No offence meant to those who are Christian out there. Apologuies if you are offended, but I mean absolutely no harm.)

I honestly find it detestable how people go around town centres yelling about how "Jesus will save us all if we believe", and similar stuff. Religion is also just another cause for conflict. In some ways, Religion is just another separating barrier between two ethnic minorities, rather than bringing them together. If religion is about peace and everything, why is so much conflict caused over it? Religion mostly has good morals, but sometimes people just take it too far, like Jehovah's witness. They're like the Telemarketers of God.

Provided people aren't too "my religion is fantastic and it renders all else obsolete", I don't really mind the fact that there is religion, but when people start to flash it around into other people's faces when they don't want it and similar stuff, it just becomes annoying.

I'm not too fond of religion, especially being forced to learn about different religions in class every so often. I find it pointless.
What exactly is pointless about learning context for a great deal of our society?

Because it's lowering my average grades? Seriously, to get B's, A's, A*'s and... D? It doesn't look too good, and I could learn about it in my own time if I wanted to know more about it.

Atheist/agnostic here. I don't particularly care which one I am, but I identify as atheist because no one I talk to really knows nor cares what an agnostic is.

Back
Top Bottom