• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

D/P/Pt Kai's team needs help!

So, is my team any good?

• Total voters

Kai Lucifer

A traveller on the winds of time
Yeah, I think it's alright, but I want to try and make it better.

Without further ado:

Umbreon @ Synchronize @ ?
Moves:
• Dark Pulse / Assurance [?]
• Moonlight
• Toxic
• Substitute
Stats:
• HP: 328
• ATK: 165
• DEF: 253
• SP ATK: 167
• SP DEF:338
• SPD: 162
NOTES: Lunos is my favorite, so I’m not removing him at all. Also, He’s my second defense, so I use him wherever I need to take a hit.

Typhlosion @ Blaze @ Heat Rock
Moves:
• Flamethrower
• Eruption
• Sunny Day
• Solarbeam
Stats:
• HP: 319
• ATK: 171
• DEF: 198
• SP ATK: 271
• SP DEF:221
• SPD: 258
NOTES: Baku may seem weak, but he usually attacks first on PBR matches, which allows me to use Eruption to It’s full power. I added the Solarbeam thing in case of weaknesses, but it takes a turn to use, by which time he could be taken out by an earthquake. Can anyone suggest something better?

Alakazam @ Synchronize @ Wise Glasses
Moves:
• Focus Blast
• Shadow Ball
• Psychic
• Recover
Stats:
• HP: 250
• ATK: 109
• DEF: 113
• SP ATK: 360
• SP DEF:190
• SPD: 300
NOTES: Simply put, He’s a killer, and my main attacker.

Milotic @ Marvel Scale @ Leftovers
Moves:

• Surf
• Ice Beam
• Aqua Ring
• Recover
Stats:
• HP: 335
• ATK: 114
• DEF: 221
• SP ATK: 267
• SP DEF:297
• SPD: 218
NOTES: Karin is a bitch to kill. Aqua Ring + Leftovers, and the occasional recover, along with a high special defense, she’s my primary defense. It takes a turn to use Aqua ring, so I use Lunos in an emergency.

Breloom @ Effect Spore @ Muscle Band
Moves:

• Sky Uppercut
• Seed Bomb
• Stone Edge
• Dynamicpunch
Stats:
• HP: 262
• ATK: 333
• DEF: 211
• SP ATK: 173
• SP DEF:114
• SPD: 201
NOTES: I never knew that Breloom had such high attack power. Kinos is small, but don’t underestimate him. He’s my second attacker.

[Usually] Darkrai @ Bad Dreams @ ?
Moves:

• Roar of Time
• Spatial Rend
• Dark Void
• Nightmare
Stats:
• HP: 291
• ATK: 215
• DEF: 246
• SP ATK: 323
• SP DEF:236
• SPD: 259

Any tips on what to put other than Darkrai? Otherwise I’m stuck with a 5-Poke-team when trying to battle gyms here.

Last edited:
First, it's more helpful to post EV spreads, not the raw stats, as it allows people to better understand what you're using. Also, it would help if you showed us the natures your pokemon have, for the same reason.

Hardly anybody will allow you to use Darkrai in most battles, so it'd be wise for you to not use it. I'd suggest a physical attacker to take its place, since you seem a little lacking in that department. Something such as Aerodactyl would work well, providing some handy type coverage against dragons and others, as well as making a good lead.

Alakazam is as frail as a tissue, so Recover and Wise Glasses are out of place on him. Grass Knot and a Life Orb or Choice Specs would work well, but try out Trick and a Choice Scarf for some wall/lead ruining shenanigans.

Toxic and Moonlight aren't stellar options on Umbreon, since Sandstorm is everywhere and Steels wall Toxic+dark move, being immune to one and resisting another. Curse/Payback/Wish/Protect is great for supporting your team if you don't ming Smeargle breeding, and Curse and Payback go hand in glove.

Sunnybeaming isn't bad on Typhlosion with his decent defences, so I hesitate to say to scrap it. Focus Blast/Punch could do as an alternative, or things like Will-O-Wisp or maybe even Hidden Power Ice/Electric if you have the patience for IV breeding.

Recover seems a little redundant on Milotic with both Aqua Ring and Leftovers, but I'm no expert on that, so meh.

Since your Breloom is supposed to be a straightforward attacker, we should give it a better moveset. Dynamicpunch is pretty novelty on anything not named Machamp, so it should be replaced. Spore would be useful to spread around some status, and consider Swords Dance and Mach Punch to counteract his low speed. Poison Heal is superior to Effect Spore, but if you don't want to get a new Breloom, Life Orb is your item of choice. Toxic Orb is an option with Poison heal, though.

One problem with your team that I see is that a Choice Scarf Heracross could really do a number on your team, scoring OHKOs on just about all of your pokemon. Even Milotic might not survive, *usually* being 2KO'd, and being able to do little against it except put it asleep.

Also, I'm sorry for that stuff earlier. I... wasn't exactly having a grand ol' time.

Ah, thanks for that. When I viewed your poll reply, I thought you were just being horrid, since you didn't post.

I'll get to work on buffing up my team when I get round to it.

I removed the stats, as they're not necessary here.

Yeah, I think it's alright, but I want to try and make it better.

Without further ado:

Umbreon @ Synchronize @ Leftovers
Moves:
Confuse Ray
Mean Look
• Toxic
Wish

NOTES: Lunos is my favorite, so I’m not removing him at all. Also, He’s my second defense, so I use him wherever I need to take a hit.

Umbreon's offense sucks, therefore Dark Pulse/Assurance is pointless. By the way, your Umbreon's defense is truly shocking (in a bad way).

Infernape @ Blaze @ Choice Specs
Moves:
Heat Wave
Grass Knot
Focus Blast
HP Electric

NOTES: Baku may seem weak, but he usually attacks first on PBR matches, which allows me to use Eruption to It’s full power. I added the Solarbeam thing in case of weaknesses, but it takes a turn to use, by which time he could be taken out by an earthquake. Can anyone suggest something better?

Typhlosion sucks compared to Infernape. Go with this special set over the more common physical one for the element of surprise.

Starmie @ Natural Cure @ Choice Specs
Moves:
Surf
Ice Beam
• Psychic
Thunderbolt

NOTES: Simply put, He’s a killer, and my main attacker.

Starmie > Alakazam in pretty much every way.

Milotic @ Marvel Scale @ Leftovers
Moves:

• Surf
Hypnosis
• Aqua Ring
• Recover

NOTES: Karin is a bitch to kill. Aqua Ring + Leftovers, and the occasional recover, along with a high special defense, she’s my primary defense. It takes a turn to use Aqua ring, so I use Lunos in an emergency.

Not bad, actually. But Hypnosis is better.

Breloom @ Poison Heal @ Toxic Orb
Moves:

Spore
• Seed Bomb
• Stone Edge
Leech Seed

NOTES: I never knew that Breloom had such high attack power. Kinos is small, but don’t underestimate him. He’s my second attacker.

Spore, then Leech Seed, then sweep.

Weavile @ Pressure @ Choice Band
Moves:
Night Slash
Ice Punch
Brick Break
Aerial Ace

Any tips on what to put other than Darkrai? Otherwise I’m stuck with a 5-Poke-team when trying to battle gyms here.

Here's a Dark-type who ISN'T uber.

Let's see... three of your Pokemon have horrific movesets, one is banned, one of them has a pretty bad (but not that bad) moveset, and just one is good. To top it off, two of them have other Pokemon within their own type who are infinitely better. Son, you have a long way to go.

I recommend PLDH, Smogon, PKMN.NET, and Pokemon Acanthite for some good tier lists. From those lists, you want to choose the Pokemon which are unanimously- or almost-unanimously-OU. Remember, Pokemon battles aren't about your favorites, it's about the best Pokemon. Hell, I quite like Corsola myself, but I'd never dream of using it in a competitive battle.

There you go, my $0.02.

Why would you ever use Psychic on Starmie when you can use Grass Knot and get have more coverage? Psychic isn't a great attacking type anymore, even when you have STAB.

Also, Starmie doesn't get Trick, Shadow Ball and Focus Blast, or 135/120 in attacking stats...and you still claim it's superior in every way? Sorry, but that's a bit ridiculous.

Alabaster said:
[snip]
You want to choose the Pokemon that are unanimously- or almost-unanimously-OU.

Hahaha, that's rich. You're saying that pokemon like Aerodactyl and Medicham shouldn't be used? That Clefable and Porygon-Z and all the rest of the UUs and BLs can't accomplish much in competitive play? I don't think so.

Last edited:
I'm agreeing with Prettzel here. Firstly, It means that I don't have to raise two new pokemon in my team [even though with Breloom I may have to get a new one] , and secondly, adding Weavile means that I'd have another pokemon weak to Heracross.

On that note, I was considering raising a Moltres, but that would mean having two fire types in my team, and against the evercommon Stone edge, I'd be screwed rather badly. What can I put in to cause trouble for Heracross?

There's always the ubiquitous Gliscor, who you could run a Swords Dance set for to avoid having too much defensiveness, or perhaps Dugtrio, who could kill it with an Aerial Ace. Gliscor is the only really surefire way to kill Heracross, though.

Effect Spore Breloom almost has to run Swords Dance, Mach Punch, Stone Edge / Seed Bomb (Stone Edge provides much better coverage), and Spore with a Life Orb, as almost any other set depends heavily on Poison Heal. It's probably too late to get Spore on it now, though, so you could just have both Stone Edge and Seed Bomb.

I just battled his team a couple minutes earlier. He won. It had everything in it but Darkrai, which I allow because I am the owner of one myself. His team rocks, especially because they're all shinies! Seriously, as soon as Alakazam and Umbreon cam on, I was like, Holy cow, he's got shinies!

^
Shinies have absolutely nothing to do with it. We don't know your ability to battle, so your point is null. You also don't EV train, while Kai does (I think?). You're at a disadvantage, and considering you use Darkrai regularly in OU play, I'm doubting your ability to make teams well. :/

Anyway, just popping in to say that you might want to run with Trick over Recover and holding Scarf -- it screws up a lot of leads and there are a lot of ways to completely screw over someone's team purely with Trick.

On Umbreon, Wish > Moonlight. Your sweepers are pretty frail -- they need the wish support. Typhlosion is a little odd unless it's a lead with Scarf, which yours isn't. I mean, yeah, it can work, but you'll need to have a bit of luck that you can actually get the Sunny Day off. Typhlosion isn't very bulky. Heatran is getting more common, as Garchomp's gone, and he could switch in on the Eruptioin/Flamethrower and completly sweep your team with sunlight out.

You could try an Ape with Heat Wave/Grass Knot/Close Combat/HP Ground, giving you coverage on 12 types and an easy KO on heatran -- predict the switch, and then it's like, "What Heatran?"

Breloom, you want to get Poison heal on there. Sub/Spore/Focus Punch/Seed Bomb works, so does Spore/Seed/Seed Bomb/Mach Punch. Breloom has a lot of options, provided you use Spore, a Seed bomb, a Fighting move (sans Dynamicpunch) and a filler.

Weavile looks like a good idea -- provided that you don't mind having two things weak to Fighting. Ice Shard/Ice Punch/Pursuit/Brick Break CBvile works wonders, especially with wish.

You could always have a support as your last slot, never hurts to have Screen/Reflect/Rocks/Spikes up. Don't use TSpikes if you're using Breloom.

edit: EVs would be useful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom