• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Diversity in music tastes?

Storm Earth and Fire

Would you like to make a contract?
Looking through here, I seem to get the impression that my tastes seem to be the most eccentric of anybody who is active.

If you haven't already, have a look at my Last.fm. It's definitely skewed towards Japanese music, but that might be because I have 14 albums and 1 single by Ali Project on my computer and I run off a playlist, so that whole thing gets played every week or so. Anyway, I think it's rather diverse. If you go by genres (I do about half the time), top 8 contains J-pop, J-rock, darkwave, neoclassical, bossa nova, industrial metal, classical, acid jazz, and ska.

Anyway... I made this thread to see if any of y'all have comparably diverse tastes. Anyone interested in a group for folks with bipolar tastes?

I actively listen to alternative rock, ambient, avant-garde, avant-garde metal, classical, classical crossover, darkwave, EBM, electronic, electronica, folk, folk metal, gothic, gothic metal, industrial, medieval, pop, power metal, progressive metal, rock, and symphonic metal. Note that I listen to more than that - that's just the majority of what I listen to.

http://www.last.fm/user/armorxforxsheep

Disco, some industrial, some ska, some War-era pop, some ragtime, some j-pop, synthpop, occasional jazz, symphonic metal, rock, blues, prog rock, and there's probably more that I can't be bothered to list.

Okay, let's see:

80's pop
90's pop
classic rock
some 80's rock
some 90's rock
Southern rock
rock instrumentals
J-pop
dance
jazz (especially smooth jazz)
Celtic
New Age
instrumentals, period
80's and 90's country
some techno
some classical

Basically, I'm willing to give almost anything a chance.

Okay, let's see:

80's pop
90's pop
classic rock
some 80's rock
some 90's rock
Southern rock
rock instrumentals
J-pop
dance
jazz (especially smooth jazz)
Celtic
New Age
instrumentals, period
80's and 90's country
some techno
some classical

Basically, I'm willing to give almost anything a chance.
I wouldn't call half of these genres - they are more labels than anything else.

Alternative and subgenres.
Metal and subgenres, mainly Heavy Metal, Power Metal, Punk Metal, Avant-Garde Metal, Folk Metal and Black Metal.
Rock and subgenres, mainly Hard Rock and Progressive Rock.
Psychedelic Trance.
Punk and Irish Punk.
Ska and Ska Punk.
Reggae.
Classical.

Show me a song of the above genres and I'll probably like it. Show me something else and maybe I'll like it, depends on whether it interests me or not. I'm open minded.

First off, I don't really know anything about genres or classifying music. I'm probably going to look stupid if I try. Generally if it has a good beat and can be danced to, I like it.

I like a lot of things that people put under the 'New Wave' genre, but Wiki has this to say:

Starting in the early 1980s and continuing until around 1988, the term "New Wave" was used in America to describe nearly every new pop or pop rock artist that largely used synthesizers. Examples of artists defined in the United States as New Wave during this period that would not fit the original definition include Duran Duran, A Flock of Seagulls, Depeche Mode, Eurythmics, The Fixx, Thompson Twins, Tears For Fears, The Human League, Men Without Hats, Thomas Dolby, and Culture Club. The term continues to be used today to describe those groups.

... and that's like half my playlist right there. :D;

Although I will listen to other things and I don't really limit myself to any one kind of music in particular.

Last edited:
*shrug*

I normally just listen to something, enjoy it heartily, adopt it as part of my favourite music, and then sometime a few months later find out what genre it is by random chance.

So there's not much of a real pattern, to be honest.

I'm not diverse at all, sadly.

It's usually thrash, melodeath, power/thrash(Iced Earth kind) and... that's it.

I like bubblegum dance, 90's pop and old-timey swing and big band music a lot.

I also enjoy 'Celtic' music like Enya and Loreena McKennitt.

I'm pretty easy-going, if I like something I'll listen to it regardless of genre, but I tend to listen to a lot of Techno, Synthpop (New Wave apparently?), Pop, Rock, Classical, Lounge and House.
Yeaaah I dunno I'm bad at labels.

I doubt very much that my taste is diverse

I do listen to stuff from loads of genres, but the fact that I listen to /shitloads/ of rock kind of overshadows that

My MP3 player is a mish-mash of eclectic randomness; I'm not going to list genres because people will throw rocks at me for getting genres wrong or whatever, but I like to think it's pretty diverse.

Back
Top Bottom