• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Gotcha Force

Leviathan

Bracken Horror
The day after a meteorite fell towards Sahari Town...

A boy set out in search of it, hoping to find an adventure.

What he found was a palm-sized robot that had a mind of its own. The little machine was also a life-form known as a Gotcha Borg from the planet Mega Borg.

That's the message you receive at the beginning of the game, right after the animesque opening montage (I don't know what it says in the instruction manual because I've never seen it). Gotcha Force is an extremely underrated game that came out fairly early on in the Gamecube's history. The general plot is that Gotcha Borgs, small robots usually about the size of an average action figure, came to Earth to save humanity from their enemies and evil counterparts, the Death Force (composed of Death Borgs, surprisingly enough). So, a ragtag group of kids who have nothing better to do, let alone parental supervision, bring the Gotcha Borgs together to create the (three guesses) Gotcha Force, and fight against the Death Force and their leader, the Galactic Emperor. Whoooo...

Okay, so the plot is kinda suckish. Hell, the characters can be summed up entirely by any of the generic personality types for any video game/anime/book/whatever (e.g. Kou, the eager, adventurous kid who hates school; Mana, the sweet, innocent girl; Tsutomu, the child genius; Nekobe, the bully who's really a big coward; Sho, the shady, egotistical badass; and so on). However, that's not the whole point. The actual gameplay of Gotcha Force is ludicrously addictive. You control a team of these little robots, who can be anything from sword-wielding samurais and gun-toting girls in jumpsuits to the surprisingly useless dragons and...well, robots. Your fighters are thrown into a small square arena floating in the middle of space made to look like places in the real world, starting out in the houses and public areas of the town then proceeding to the Death Force's bases and finally the stratosphere where you fight the Galactic Emperor himself. At this point you will proceed to beat the crap out of anything that gets in your way with lasers, shurikens, bombs, missiles, assorted spells, scaled-down nuclear explosions, concentrated black holes, and who knows what else. After the battle, your fancy pants Gotcha Borg collector suitcase may create a copy of the enemies you fought, or at least a piece of one, which you can then use in your own force (provided you have enough points). And with a little over 200 Borgs to collect and just enough of those that are actually useful (CYBER NINJA OWNS YOUR SOUL), anyone can make a force that suits their own specific interests. My neighbor, who first introduced me to the game, describes it as Pokemon combined with Smash Brothers and over-the-top third-person shooters (there's probably something better but that's all I can think of right now).

But enough about me. Let's hear from you guys; have any of you heard of this game before? If you haven't, are you tempted to spend the next 5 years of your life waiting for the local GameStop to get a copy? Does some other third question apply to you? Discussion now!

Back
Top Bottom