• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In Progress Something about the Unown...

Minnow

If you're gonna dig, dig to the heavens!
Ok, so I thought I'd go ahead and repost my little story I'm working on, since it got sucked away several months ago. It's about Unown, obviously. I'm currently about a third of the way through chapter two, but I've been at the same spot for months now so it might be a while. Or I could put it up next week, who knows. I write kind of in spurts. Hmmm... Would love any help I can get to improve my writing and any title ideas would also be appreciated.

So, here we go.

Chapter 3 Progress: Not Even Started

Chapter 1

“So, what made you so interested in the Unown anyway, Professor?”

Silas glanced over at the seat next to him, where his student, Nicholas, was looking at him with an air of great interest. Eyeing him, Silas considered how to answer. People would often question him about his fascination with the strange Pokemon, and his answer always disappointed them. The truth was, Silas didn’t really have any idea why he wanted to study the Unown; he just loved the things.

“Well, Nicholas,” he began, “You know their huge eyes?”

Nicholas slowly nodded.

“I love eyes.”

“The eyes?” Nicholas blinked, “But-“

“I love eyes,” Silas closed his eyes, tipped his hat, and wagged his finger at Nicholas, “No questions.”

Nicholas sighed and looked out the window of their car. The last few rays of sunlight had been clinging to the edge of the horizon earlier, but by now they had begun to slip away. A light drizzle fell from the cloudy sky, leaving small puddles along the road that he could see his reflection in. Looking down the road he could see the outskirts of National Park just around the bend. They would have to pass through it to get to the ruins that Silas was so anxious to get to.

“Hey, driver!” Silas barked. “How much longer until we get there?”

The driver looked at Silas in the mirror. He had been hired because of an abundance of money and laziness on Silas’s part, but his pay was good, so he didn’t mind Silas’s occasional rudeness.

“About twenty more minutes, sir,” the driver said, with the calmest voice he could manage.

“I really wish we didn’t have to drive all the way from Goldenrod just to get to the Ruins,” the Professor grumbled.

“Sir, I believe Violet City has an Airport,” Nicholas said, “Why didn’t you just fly in from there?”

Silas stared at his student for a few moments, before hastily pulling out one of his many city guides from his pack on the floor. He ripped it open and glared at the paper. On the back, written in large print were the words “Violet City”. He slowly moved his slender fingers across the page until they alighted on a single spot.

“Oh for the love of- why doesn’t anyone ever tell me these things!? It’s not as if I grew up here! I just came for my research! Nicholas!”

“Yes, sir?”

“Did you ever think of mentioning Violet City when I ordered my tickets?” Silas growled.

“Well, sir, I just assumed you had a good reason for flying to Goldenrod first even though it’s farther away, sir,” Nicholas said tentatively.

“Oh, why do you assume I know everything? I mean, I may be pretty smart,” Silas said, proudly, “But I’m not omniscient.”

Nicholas sighed again.

“Excuse me, sirs?”

“Huh? What?” Silas looked around, temporarily forgetting there was another person in the vehicle, until his eyes locked onto the driver. “Oh yes. What is it?”

“We have arrived at the Ruins of Alph, sir.”

“Oh! Good! Come on Nicholas!”

Picking up his bag, Silas pushed open the car door and stepped out onto the muddy ground. He pulled off his hat and looked up, letting the rain fall freely onto his face and long, brown hair. His hazel eyes flashed over to Nicholas, who had spent the last twenty seconds getting out of the car and walking over to Silas.

“Don’t you just love the rain, Nick?” he asked with a hint of wonder.

“Not really, it’s cold and gets all your clothes w-”

“What?” Silas stared at him, as if the idea of someone not liking
everything and anything he enjoyed was preposterous. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, let’s get inside.”

“I know when you’re lying to me Nick,” Silas said with a newfound air of confidence, “You’re not a good liar at all, you should stick to telling the truth.”

Nicholas stared at him, dumbfounded. After a few moments he started to formulate a response, but after thinking twice, decided against it.

“I guess I’ll go take our things in, then, sir?”

“Hmmm? Yes, yes, of course.”

Silas let the rain fall on his face for a few more seconds and then closed his eyes and turned around. He had been waiting to see the Ruins of Alph his whole life, and he was going to savor every second of it. Slowly, he opened his eyes.

He blinked.

“Wha-?” was all he could get out.

“It’s nothing!”

He saw several large, flat, rocky structures that at first glance seemed to be nothing more than that, but closer inspection revealed man-sized, round entrances cut into the rocks. The stones were surrounded by a dense forest with large shrubs near the edges, growing in rows with small, pink flowers dotted among them. To the left of one of the stones was a small, white building that Nicholas was standing in front of, beckoning to Silas.

Silas walked slowly through the looming stones, still not believing what he was seeing. The Ruins of Alph were supposed to be magnificent! A relic from the ancient past, that’s what all the books said, and yet here he was, witnessing nothing more than a few slabs of rock.

“Are you positive,” he said as he came up to Nicholas, “That these are the Ruins of Alph?”

“Quite certain,” Nicholas answered, “What’s wrong with them?”

“Just look at them! They’re just-just rocks!”

“They’re more than rocks, they’re ancient ruins. I think they’re spectacular.”

“How can you say that!? Where are the statues?! The pillars! The tablets! Where are the Unown?!”

“Oh, that? Well, I’m sure that that’s all inside,” said Nicholas, gesturing towards the small openings in the slabs. “See the openings?”

“Openings?”

Silas glanced over at the doorway-like holes. His eyes grew wide; he hadn’t noticed the entrances before. He looked over at Nicholas, and then, with an almost manic look in his eye, broke into a run towards the openings.

“Sir, Wait!” Nicholas yelled, but it was too late, Silas had already disappeared into the Ruins.

~ ~ ~

Silas slowly stumbled through the dark passages. There were stone fragments and broken rocks everywhere, and, try as he might, couldn’t manage to avoid most of them. And being in total darkness didn’t help either; he had already nearly tripped over a particularly nasty, jagged rock and dearly wished he’d brought a flashlight.

“Why aren’t there any torches or something in here?” Silas said, exasperatedly, “I though it was supposed to be a tourist attraction.”

He felt his foot suddenly sink and froze in place. He began to hear a slight crumbling sound and fear struck him. As carefully as he could, he eased his foot towards him, letting the tile rise up slowly. He braced himself, but after a few minutes, nothing seemed to happen. He opened his eyes. The crumbling sound had stopped; he felt himself relax.

Confidently, he attempted to step forward. His blood ran cold as his foot passed through empty air, and slipped into the darkness. Silas balanced there for a few moments, before finally plummeting down into the chasm.

He felt the air rushing past him, until suddenly, as quickly as he’d fallen, he landed on hard stone. Dazed, he was surprised that he wasn’t hurt, and even more surprised that he could see. Blinking, he realized that there were torches along the walls of the chamber and finally could see the famous Unown script written on every available surface.

He walked over to the wall on his left and began to examine the writing. As he studied it, he realized that he could make out a few letters. He’d thought he knew the entire alphabet, but obviously there was much more, as the majority of the letters were completely alien.

He turned to look at the other wall and noticed that in the middle of the chamber the floor was slightly raised, as if a giant button was set into the surface. Remembering his previous encounter with raised tile, he stayed to the edges of the room, away from the center.

As he glanced back at the torches, a look of comprehension suddenly flashed across his face. Who had lit the torches?

Silas suddenly stumbled and fell to the floor with a crash. Rubbing his hands, he glanced behind him the see what he’d tripped on. He saw a tiny stone statue, about six inches tall, and depicting a strange Pokemon he’d never seen before. He began to crawl over to the statue to get a better look, when he was suddenly slammed into the wall. Before he could recover, he was pushed into the center of the room, astonished to find himself floating above the ground, just a few inches from the raised tile.

Instantly, all the writing on the walls, floor, and ceiling began to glow a bright turquoise, and, squinting in the bright light, he began to make out figures floating in the haze. A few got close and he could see that they were small, black Pokemon with huge, staring eyes, with each individual looking slightly different in shape. Silas gazed in wonder, he knew what these were, Unown, he’d dreamed his whole life of seeing a real, live Unown, but now his dream was finally coming true.

But, something didn’t seem quite right. They were moving much faster than he’d heard of them moving, and weren’t vocalizing their well-known chanting. He looked closely at them, but when he tried to touch one, a searing pain flew through his body and he was jerked back.

The Unown started to swirl around him at a higher and higher frequency, until their shapes began to appear as simple blurs. Now, he fully realized that something was amiss, and tried to break free of the Unowns’ hold, but now matter how much he struggled, he couldn’t overcome to combined might of the Unown.

Silas’s entire vision became a black and white blur, until he was slowly lowered down onto the raised tile, and with a blindingly bright flash, disappeared.

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember this story. I was really looking forward to Chapter Two, since really anything could happen.

Eh, this is completely unrelated to the story, but I was really stumped about it today and thought that people of higher vocabulary than me might know. What do you call a male ballerina? Ballet dancer? Ballerin? Ballest? I have no idea.

Chapter 2 Progress: Still Writing

Bleh, finally worked more on CHapter 2 last night. It's a little bit shorter but I think I like it more. Heres you goes:

Chapter 2

“Earl, I am! Wonderful are POKEMON, yes! Teach you I will to be a better trainer! What you want to know? Want to be a winner is you?”

“No! I just wondered if you had seen-”

“So, want to know how to raise Pokemon well?”

“No! Have you seen a man? About a foot taller than me and-”

“Oh! Smart student you are! Nothing more do I teach! Good to Pokemon you must be!”

Earl merrily spun away.

“Wait!” Nicholas shouted, “Have you seen-”

“Ooh, la la! Very indeed nice!”

Nicholas sighed. He’d been asking all around in Violet City to see if anyone had seen Silas. He hadn’t come back the night before and Nicholas had started to get worried. So far, though, no one had said they’d seen Silas, although he did get to meet his fair share of mildly eccentric people. Well, mostly mild, he thought, glancing at the fading figure of Earl.

Nicholas sighed again and began to walk back towards the lab. Talking to people didn’t seem to be taking him anywhere; he might as well head back to the lab and see if he could pick up any clues from Silas’s abundant notes and research. He had wanted to go look around in the ruins for him, but after realizing that the ruins must expand enormously underground and that searching them in their entirety would take weeks he decided on waiting to see if he turned up. For all he knew, Silas could just be enthralled in some new scripture he’d found.

Then again…

Nicholas closed his eyes, thinking. No, he shouldn’t worry. Silas was smart enough to not go poking around without being careful. He would be fine, and anyway, how dangerous can some old ruins be?

Opening his eyes, Nicholas saw that his feet had carried him to the edge of town. Stepping off the sidewalk and into the grass he glanced back at the forest of glass, steel, and concrete that was Violet City. Reassuring himself that Silas would most likely be back soon he looked away and turned down the forest path.

~ ~ ~

White, blue, green, yellow, pink, purple. After even a few seconds these colors all seemed to swirl together into an undulating mass. Behind this canvas of light streaks of black and red darted in and out of view with each passing second, splashing patches of darkness like extremely untalented painters.

Amidst this chaotic dance of color, the dark colors began to slowly blend together, coalescing into the rough shape of a human figure. As the figure smoothened, long hair sprouted from the mass that was slowly becoming a head, and eventually the face, arms, legs, and finally clothes followed suit until a perfect silhouette of a human was formed. The figure began to drain color from its surroundings, becoming more and more recognizable until-

“Woah,” Silas opened his eyes, “That might have been the single strangest sensation I’ve ever felt, or ever hope to. Now, what happened?”

He gazed at the sea of colors surrounding him, attempting to discern any clues about his location. Nothing seemed to be tangible except for him; he wasn’t even standing on a surface of some sort. He was just floating.

“Where am I?!”

There was no response.

“Heh, worth a try.” Silas shrugged and began to rack his memory, “What do I remember?” There was the room, he definitely remembered that, and then…what? The Unown had somehow appeared from nowhere and everything had become blindingly white, but why?

"They must have been angry for some reason,” Silas said aloud, “But why?"

Silas was getting increasingly frustrated at his fuzzy memory, and eventually resorted to examining his surroundings in detail. He began to notice a sensation of movement. He seemed to be slowly gliding forward and down, as if falling through water.

After floating for a few minutes Silas suddenly began to notice wisps of images that seemed more structured than the surrounding swirls. Looking closer he noticed the faint form of a building surrounded by green.

“Now what could that be?”

Slowly the image began to fade, and eventually completely disappeared. Silas attempted to recall any stories he’d ever heard about the Unown, but couldn’t think of anything remotely like this. Where was he? How did the Unown take him there, and why? It’s not as if-

“That statue!” Silas exclaimed, “I tripped over that statue! That is what must have made them angry. And I guess they probably didn’t like me in there disturbing them either. Still, that doesn’t really help me now…”

Silas noticed that the color was being slowly drained away somehow, with black and white become predominant. In fact, even the black was beginning to drain away, too. Just as he began to wonder what this could mean, Silas suddenly felt a searing pain flash through his body, as if the bright light was burning him. Then, moments later, everything went black.

~ ~ ~​

“Arghh!!”

Telling himself to calm down Nicholas slowly leaned back. It turned out that Silas had quite a bit of notes and research stored in his computer, but it was proving impossible to find.

“Why,” he began to talk to himself, “Are the directories named like library books? I mean, look at these: 762.b4, 342.a9, 943.u6. How does he memorize this kind of stuff?”

Calling upon his knowledge of computer eccentricities Nicholas looked at the screen intently, attempting to reason it out. A slow patter of raindrops began to hit the window, gathering speed.

“Okay, okay. So unless he’s as crazy as he acts sometimes he’ll have some sort of index or list somewhere. Or maybe…” Nicholas began randomly clicking, stumbling his way through a labyrinth of folders and files. Suddenly a picture popped up on the screen. Nicholas studied the picture, noticing the familiar contrast of the eyes and body of the Unown. Remembering what Silas had said earlier, he smiled. He wondered what really drew his teacher to the Unown, because he was, of course, simply joking when they spoke before, but you never know…

A sudden loud slam caused Nicholas to jump up in surprise. Whirling around he saw the dripping wet figure of Silas framed by the lab’s open door, rain pouring down around him. Crying out half in joy and half in fear Nicholas rushed to help him through the door. Silas quietly thanked him as he was carried over to a small couch on the northern wall of the room.

Once he had put Silas on the couch Nicholas quickly closed the door and sat across from Silas. He couldn’t tell what his teacher was thinking right now. His face was sullen, but there was a slight gleam in his eye that Nicholas couldn’t quite place. They eyed each other for a minute or two more until Nicholas broke the silence.

“So, what happened?”

Silas cocked his head and thought for a few seconds before answering.

“You’ll never believe me if I tell you.”

“Well, you’re usually right. So that will make it even more amazing than it was if you tell me,” Nicholas said with a smile.

“Well…” Silas’s head snapped up and he stared at Nicholas with an huge grin,“It was wonderful. I stumbled upon a small room filled with Unown script, some of it I’d never seen before.”

“Never?” Nicholas was awestruck.

“Nope. Anyway, there was a small little statue thing on the floor that broke off when I tripped over it. Yes, I know. ‘Don’t break important archeological artifacts!’ Well, I’m sorry. Happy?”

“Er, I wasn’t going to-“

“Of course you weren’t. Now after that happened I was lifted up into the air.”

“What?! How?”

“Unown started popping out of everywhere and they circled around me, chanting.”

“Amazing! That’s exactly how all those stories tell of it!”

“Yes, anyway, after a few minutes I found myself floating in some sort of, um, place. It had lot’s of swirly colors and nothing seemed solid. Soon some of the colors formed this little wisps of shapes. I think-I think I saw an outline of a little house with some grass around it. Total speculation here, but-”

“Do you realize what this means!” Nicholas jumped up in excitement. “What if that house was real. Imagine, a whole second world could be out there! That would be, oh wow. We should start writing up a report for this! Do you know how much it could sell for?! It would fund so much research! ‘A Brush with the Unown’. Yeah, that’s a good title! I’ll go get your laptop!”

“Woah, woah, woah, there, Nick! We can’t write a whole paper about this yet! Don’t get so excited. For one thing, we need more research, not to mention actual data. I think I’m going to go back to that ruin tomorrow and try to collect some information.”

“What? No, we can’t do that! It’s much to dangerous! What if you got trapped in there? You don’t know anything about that place!”

“I know, that’s the point, To collect information.”

“But-”

“I’m going. You’re welcome to come along if you like. Goodnight,” and with that Silas marched down the hall towards the bedrooms.

“But…”

~ ~ ~​

Images of the Unown floated across Nicholas’s mind. He was at the verge of sleep, but wasn’t quite able to get over the edge yet. Slowly sighing, he began to see the reasoning of his teacher. It must have been truly spectacular in there if he was so adamant about going back. And anyway, even though he seemed rash sometimes, he knew that Silas usually was careful about completely unknown things, so he must really believe it to be safe, at least not incredibly dangerous.

Sighing, Nicholas turned onto his side, feeling the uncomfortable mattress springs poke against his body. With thoughts of this new discovery playing about his head he slowly drifted off into a deep sleep, hoping that the next day wouldn’t end in disaster, but in success.

Last edited:
Hmm, yeah, it was kinda short, but it didn't explain much. I didn't see how Silas became all wet. Also:

They must have been angry for some reason,” Silas said aloud, “But why?
There should be quotation marks at the beginning and the end of this.
Also, I loved Earl's appearance. It's been forever since I played Gold, I almost forgot about that crazy guy.

Hmm, yeah, it was kinda short, but it didn't explain much. I didn't see how Silas became all wet. Also:

They must have been angry for some reason,” Silas said aloud, “But why?
There should be quotation marks at the beginning and the end of this.

Yeah, I have it planned that a lot will be explained in either the fourth chapter or the third if the third's too short. This was kind of just getting things to the end of the introduction so I can start the action soon.

Oh, yeah. I envisioned a downpour outside but I guess it slipped my mind to actually write it in. I'll fix it.

Oops, fixed the quotations.

Back
Top Bottom