• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Turning specific signatures off and personal stickies

Sandstone-Shadow

A chickadee in love with the sky
Pronoun
she/her
I know you can turn all signatures off, but would it be possible to make something that would allow you to only turn off specific ones? Like if someone has a really long signature or something, you could turn off only that user's signature and still see the others? Just an idea.

Also, is there a way to bring back the personal stickies hack? I really liked this one. ^^ But it's no big deal; I'll live without it.

Why not just subscribe to the threads instead of going for personal stickies? If you set it to 'no email', it'll just list all of the threads you're subscribed to in your user CP whenever there's an unread post. Not just that, but you can do a search for all subscribed threads.

I know you can turn all signatures off, but would it be possible to make something that would allow you to only turn off specific ones? Like if someone has a really long signature or something, you could turn off only that user's signature and still see the others? Just an idea.
This would be so amazing, and yet probably difficult to code. I would absolutely love this hack, though.

Butterfree's already said she doesn't want to bother with individual signature-off. I've just taken to adblocking the images in really long sigs instead.

Perhaps it would be more in order to set more concrete signature rules and then enforce them? I don't even care all that much about scrollbars; it's just when people put like ten big images vertically stacked in their sig that I want to choke them.

Hm. I'm not sure if this helps, but if you put people on your ignore list, their signatures and avatars disappear, not just their post.

Normally, it's the troublesome members who have the huge signatures, so why not just make them disappear for you altogether? And yes, I know I'm being a stereotype, but I'm just stating it as it is.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to take Sandstone-Shadow off my ignore list.

Edit: Alright, I figured out how to edit my ignore list. That made me look like an idiot.

Unfortunately, since I do administrative stuff for ASB, I can't really go ignoring a lot of members because I wouldn't be able to see their bank/approval/question posts.

It just shows a placeholder instead of the post. You can click a button to get it to show the post.

I'd rather have something that automatically disables scrollbar signatures than disabling individual signatures.

I don't get why you guys are so bothered by the scrollbar signatures. With the scrollbar, they don't take up any more space than the normal signatures. I mean... that's why the scrollbar is there, right? Granted, sometimes when you're trying to scroll down the page you end up scrolling down someone's signature, but this doesn't happen very often (at least to me).

So... can someone explain to me why the scrollbar sigs are so bad?

When I'm scrolling down a page and my cursor hits a scrollbar signature, I start scrolling through the signature instead and that's annoying as hell. It'd be nice if people would use signatures as "this goes at the end of my posts" rather than "place to stuff everything".

Re: scrolling through signatures
there is a little area to both sides of the signature where if you scroll while the mouse is over it, it won't take the extra time to scroll for signatures.
of course, this is annoying at first because you have to move your mouse /all/ the way over to the side of the screen.

and obligatory image example (retsu i stole your post as example)

edit:
and if you really want scrollbar signatures off (or at least cut off when they surpass X length), write a greasemonkey script to change all of the "overflow:auto;" setting on signatures into "overflow:hidden;"

Last edited:
why should we all have to go to extra effort to avoid members who are annoying as piss

this seems a little backwards

signatures are not a fucking profile/blog/life status thing goddamn

Back
Top Bottom