• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Which "magic" is best?

Which "magic" is best?

• Star Wars-style Force

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • FMA-style Alchemy

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • HP-style Magic

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Animorph-style Morphing

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Earthsea-style Magic

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 44.7%

• Total voters

Minnow

If you're gonna dig, dig to the heavens!
If you could have any of the above "magic" systems be brought to reality, which would it be?

I, personally, would choose FMA-style alchemy. I like how it's presented, like some huge field of study, with millions of volumes written about the subject. I also like how you could be immensely creative, especially with chemical knowledge.

My close runner-up is morphing, though.

Yeah, yeah. I know not all these things are technically "magic", but that's the best I could come up with, and anyway, they allow things that would be considered "magical" or "miraculous".

Also, help me think of more to add to the poll, those are just the first few off the top of my head, and I don't really have time to think of more right now, so help me out!

EDIT: @BiPolarBear: Wow, that might just be the fastest reply I've ever seen. O_O

Reanimating corpses like The Zombie Master in the Xanth series. Morbid, maybe, but xombie ogres are /awesome/.

Either that or healing magic... which is sort of like the antithesis of the other one.

EDIT: To explain more fully, I like the Xanth magic systen, where everyone has one power of varying degree.
EDIT: @BiPolarBear: Wow, that might just be the fastest reply I've ever seen. O_O
Post ninja!

Last edited:
Harry Potter style magic is awesome. It's the kind that I immediately think about if someone says 'magic'.

Since I know nothing of FMA, Animorph or Eragon I also voted other for the Zelda 'borrowing the power of the gods' type thing. I dont know if it would come onder one of those categories.

Harry Potter style magic is awesome. It's the kind that I immediately think about if someone says 'magic'.

Since I know nothing of FMA, Animorph or Eragon I also voted other for the Zelda 'borrowing the power of the gods' type thing. I dont know if it would come onder one of those categories.

Actually, it's exactly the same for me. Except I didn't choose 'other', just Harry Potter.

ARGH it is not Eragon-style god fucking dammit DDDDD:

Earthsea magic is cool. >:(

For me, Star Wars, it works so smoothly and fits in perfectly in battle scenes.

Alchemy is a close second,
hate Harry Potter, mind

Other - the "magic" in Realms of Kaos. I wanna be able to summon zombies and shadow(/rock/ice/lava/lightning) monsters from thin air and use them to inflict bodily harm on people.

The Force is a close second.

I quite like alchemy, FMA-style or otherwise. It's an interesting fusion of logic and science with magical, law-bending arts.

Magitek is also cool. Mixing machinery and wizardry is always a great combination.

Animorphs~
Because, seriously, who wouldn't want to be able to turn into a wolf or eagle or dolphin whenever they wanted to?

Harry Potter magic is fucking brilliant.

Magyk is a close runner-up though. Read the book if you have no clue what the last sentence meant.

Edit:

Because, seriously, who wouldn't want to be able to turn into a wolf or eagle or dolphin whenever they wanted to?

But that's also there in the Harry Potter world. You know the way Harry's dad and other people in the wizarding world can be animagus if they're willing to train and train and train some more.

Depends on whether you want the favorite magic system or the one that would be most practical. Harry Potter magic, for instance, can do most anything; if it were real, it would be insanely fun to play with. However, I can't say I like it that much as a magic system, and really, there aren't a lot of magic systems in particular that stand out to me in the fantasy I know, even that which is utterly awesome. :/

...actually, shoot me, but I think my favorite magic system is bending from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Real-life martial arts mixed with elemental powers that fit them, look cool, can do some pretty awesome stuff, have reasonable limits but can also be extremely powerful, and would be veeeeery fun if they were real. I'm going with that.

Last edited:
But that's also there in the Harry Potter world. You know the way Harry's dad and other people in the wizarding world can be animagus if they're willing to train and train and train some more.

yeah, one animal for an unlimited time after years of training. as opposed to any animal for two hours after two seconds of contact.

yeah, one animal for an unlimited time

Actually, I'm pretty sure at some point in one of the books (Possibly Goblet of Fire) that if they spend too long in animal form, they slowly begin to lose their sense of humanity until they forget they are humans altogether.

Elemental, Animal morphing and the force are all high contenders for me.

Elemental is just insanely fun to play with. Problems would arise whenever two people had a fight though - earth and water elementals fighting would result in pretty bad floods, earthquakes, mudslides etc. Which is a bit problematic when it comes to regulating the amount of damage caused outside the initial battle.

Morphing would be fun because it'd be seeing the world from a completely new viewpoint and allows you to escape quickly. However all sorts of new laws would have to be passed concerning hunting or attacking animals, in the off-chance that one turns out to be a person or (if you're on about changing into animals like Crash or Sonic) then the debate will be what passes as animal and what doesn't.

The Force = Epic Win. No more the be said XD

I always loved the Animorph style. x3 Me and my friend always wanted to be like them - I always loved Tobias' character because I always myself staying in one form and abandoning humanity. XD

I love Harry Potter's magic too, though, but it's a different kind, really. And Eragon's magic is a nifty if cliché idea. I like the idea of true names.

I never liked the idea of wizards hanging around deciding what's best for me because I'm not magical, really, so HP-style is pure naw.

Animorphs would be fun, though!

The Force and HP are both, naturally, pure epic win, though I'm also a fan of the systems wrought in the Redemption of Althalus and I'm absolutely fweeing for the magic of Xiaolin Showdown.

Back
Top Bottom