• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Languages

Shiny Grimer

Pronoun
she/her, they/them
So, do any of you speak a language other than English? Are any of you studying any other languages? I know there are always interesting results here on TCoD. :P

My first language is Spanish. I began learning English at around four years of age and I would say I know English fluently (possibly better than most of the people around me). I can speak Spanish pretty well, but writing it is what kills me. Those accents always get me.

Speaking of accents, I would love to have a New York Accent. Forget the posh accent (are you happy, UKians? are you happy?); the NY accent has character and just general awesome. Plus, New York is a pretty cool place.

I am studying French right now. Why? French is cool and useful. I am independently studying Russian now (:3 I'm getting a Russian grammar book for Christmas) and woud like to learn Icelandic, Hindi, Welsh or Cornish, and something African (Zulu?) in the future. The Japanophile in me wants to have a go at Japanese, but yeah I doubt that I should try it now.

So, what do the people of TCoD speak?

Well, the only language I can really speak is English, however I'm taking Spanish in school. I'd like to learn Japanese someday ;P

Well, I'm Jewish, so I'm forced to go to Hebrew school two days a week and learn Hebrew(and other stuff about Judaism). I take Spanish in school, learn Japanese from a friend, and have my own language. Yep. ^.^

I guess I know English the most, I'm not sure which I know more between Spanish and Hebrew and then Japanese I barely know. XD

New York accents are boring when you live in New York, by the way. Well, in the vicinity. ^.^ My parents say I've got a Joisey accent, though. *shrugs*

I can speak Chinese, but I'm not really good at pronouncing it. I also learned some Spanish in elementary school. And I know the alphabet in sign language if that counts. I think I want to learn Latin.

I can speak Mandarin Chinese and read Traditional Chinese very well. Both are very useful considering all the awesome anime goods (light novels! manga!) gets released in Taiwan right after they get released in the US and other countries. I'm learning Japanese in school, but I'm not good at it. Screw that. I fail at it. And so there goes my dream of reading all the RAWs right after they come out.

And I can speak English. Hurr.

I know English very well. I was also learning Spanish, but stopped because of band. Now I'm learning German in my class, and I know around...

64 words in Japanese. Go figure.

Hmm. Deja vu.

Oh well, in a nutshell: English (obviously), learnt French for five years (most of which I have forgotten), Spanish for one year (everything I remember of that could be written on the back of a postage stamp), am slowly attempting to pick up Japanese (got the kana pretty much down, now absorbing kanji and basic grammar at a snail's pace). Would also quite like to look at Latin one day. One day.

I speak English, and I took Spanish throughout elementary (I didn't take a language last year 'cause my school was retarded). I started Chinese this year, but I don't care for it much... it's fun writing characters, though. I hope I'm able to learn Japanese and/or Russian in high school, and maybe even Latin.

I can speak Mandarin and understand Cantonese fairly well, but cannot read Chinese.

I can do OK in Spanish.

I know words and fragments of other European languages.

I can do a tiny bit of reading in Russian.

I pick up Japanese words a lot and hope to nail the grammar down soon.

I thought it was obvious we know English here?

Right now, I want to learn Dutch, French, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, and at least one Indian language.

As far as African languages, I suggest Swahili, as it's most widely spoken out of the native tongues, AFAIK. Though it depends on your area of interest, Swahili is East African.

I'm learning Latin through the school class.

Latin's pretty much impossible to speak (without having atrocious grammar)... but writing it is a different story.

but at the moment I'm fried, so no Latin for you.

Already know English, learning German, would kill to learn Dutch and Japanese. Cornish would be awesome, as well, but there are very few people that actually speak it fluently.

Last edited:
I'm fluent in PHP, but I consider myself adept in Java, HTML, C, and CSS. I can sort of understand Perl but I'm not sure I'm all that good in it.

oh wait what, oh right, English. Although I was able to pass Spanish 3 Honors class without actually learning Spanish because the teacher sucked

English is my first language (It's a terrible language though :[ I hate it), I've been learning French at school for four and a half years, I learned Spanish for almost a year (But I've stopped now), also in school, and I've been studying Greek since about February.

I also know little bits (As in, a few words or phrases) in Japanese (Picked it up from my two Japanese-speaking friends), German, Dutch (I have a friend who lives in Belgium), Swedish,and Romanian.

And if you start to count languages I know literally one or two words of, then there's Arabic, Icelandic, Chinese, Hebrew, Ancient Greek, Italian and probably some others.

English, A few things in Italian (come stai? :D?), the alphabet in Auslan, a few random swears in German but I desperately want to learn French.

I speak two languages (English, Slovenian) and understand, depending on your political affiliation, another two to four.

raised English, picked up little bits and pieces of others. took some French/German when I was a weevee; took four years of Latin in high school; gradually learning Japanese now

Well, I'm Jewish, so I'm forced to go to Hebrew school two days a week and learn Hebrew(and other stuff about Judaism).
Yo can I bother you with something? I have a Jewish character in my comic and I'd like to ask a Jewish person some questions but I don't know anyone in real life ):

Anyway, the two first languages I learnt to speak were Portuguese (from my mum's side) and Dutch (from my dad's side). Being surrounded by French things from living in Belgium (and going to a French kindergaten) and by English because that's the language my parents used to speak with each other, I picked both of those up fairly quickly.
So, I'm fluent in Portuguese, Dutch (though I find it an ugly language and dislike having to speak in it. Don't mind listening too much, but speaking? Ugh), English and French and I can understand German and Spanish pretty well if people talk slowly.
I really want to learn Russian.

I'm fluent in English and Welsh.

I've been learning French for six years, German and Latin for three years.

I really want to learn Russian.
This too.

Cornish would be awesome, as well, but there are very few people that actually speak it fluently.
Indeed it would. I'd like to know all the Goidelic and Brythonic Celtic languages, but I can't be bothered to do anything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom