• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What is Freedom?

S.K

Is taking you from behind.
Freedom and Slavery. What do they mean to you and what do you feel they are and your views on them, what are they to you?.

Please be serious when you answer, sicne this is kinda in the debating hall.

Yes this is partly for homework but I also thought it would make a nice subject.

Uuh, the right to choose, I guess. To be able to choose to vote or not, to choose to work for someone or not, to choose to say something or not, to choose to have an abortion or not and to choose to marry who you want.

Hmmm, although I see it as being allowed to do whatever you want, I guess not being forced to do something also counts.
People will never be allowed to do anything they want, so complete freedom will never happen. While, not being forced to do something it what I really want. e.g. If I weren't forced to go so school, I'd be able to go to town and do things there instead, so I'm free then.
If course, that example it pretty bad and could easily be applied to prison, and you could say that the whole point of prison is to prevent freedom in that way. But then again, usually you only go to prison when you've done something you shouldn't, and therefore didn't have that freedom in the first place.

I'm bad at explaining so I'm gonna stop here.

There's a quote -- I don't know who said it -- but it goes something like "freedom is the distance between church and state".

That's not all I think freedom is, but, I think that's part of it.

Coming into a debate and posting dictionary definitions does not, contrary to popular belief, make you cool.

Freedom? Well, I assume most people would say "the ability to do whatever you want". Naturally you're going to want to add a "within your capabilities" to that. But, really, that makes the concept of freedom useless in the modern world, since every society has laws, rules, constrictions, and whatnot. I think it's got more to do with equality (freedom is just privilege extended unless enjoyed by one and all), but I don't spend a lot of time thinking about this.

Freedom is anarchy.

No it's not - if there are no rules and I decide I'd like to cut your legs off then I'll either cut your legs off (depriving you of your own freedom to uh, walk and do other leg things) or you'll resist, which is depriving my free choice to cut your legs off.

Freedom =/= anarchy, because there are always conflicting wishes between people in a group. Only time this would be the case is if there was one single person.

Besides, anarchy never lasts long in groups anyway, and often turns to survival of the fittest - hardly an ideal setting for freedom.

Freedom is your way of being happy without direct control by someone else. Slavery is the way of someone being happy with direct control over someone else.

For some reason I just also thought of freedom as lying around in some beautiful, happy place, and slavery is lying in that place but on someones leash, even if that is not necessarily true.

Last edited:
Doing what you want. Somehow I also imagine it as relaxing but that's just me.

Slavery is being told to do everything and have no choice on anything.

Freedom is being able to speak out against the government; to be able to say exactly how you feel. Freedom is being able to have whatever job you care (and have the talent) to pursue. Freedom is having enough rules to keep you safe but not having enough to suffocate you in one small path that you can take. Freedom is being able to walk around every day without fearing for your life. In short, freedom is controlling your destiny.

Slavery is being trapped by somebody else's will; being forced to do not what you want, but what others want.

But what you mean by intellect is just propaganda that the goverment feeds you.

No, I mean that stupidity is constricting.

Also that as long as there is an influential number of stupid people, my freedom is likely to be infringed upon.

Back
Top Bottom