• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Thanksgiving!

shiny jiggly

okay, I lied. I'm not active.
Pronoun
they
I know that not everyone lives in the US but it is still a nice holiday about food and being together with friends and family.
What kind of stuff are you going to/have already eat? Who's coming over? What are you thankful for? Did you get a day or two off of school? Leftovers anyone? Do you do the wishbone thingy... and do you win?
Answer as many questions as you want!

I'm going to have mostly the usual: Turkey, mash potatoes and gravy, STUFFING, doubled (or was it deviled?) eggs, pie, and some other stuff. It will be delicious.

My grandmothers are coming to my house (go figure).

I got lucky with the school day thing. Not only do I get tomorrow and the day after off, I also get the 1st off as well!

I've done the wishbone thingy off and on through the years. I'm usually the only kid at the party so I usually don't have anyone to pull it with. I'm also pretty good at it. You just have to apply the right kind of pressure to get the big part. Of course, luck also comes into play because one side is usually a little weaker than the other.

I'll probably eating mashed potatoes, since I don't really like turkey D:

I have a ton of stuff to be thankful for, and not only that...

Thanksgiving is Rock Lee's birthday :3 But my sister will be more excited for that than I am.

Rock Lee is from Naruto, if you don't already know.

Mostly, I'm thankful for a friendly family, and I hope to give others things to be thankful for, too.

Last year, I did the wishbone thing, and I wished for potatoes. No wonder, I'm 1/16th Irish...

Thanksgiving isn't to celebrate the stopping of a huge genocide (whatever that is.) It's to celebrate the time when the pilgrims from England and had a big feast with the Native Americans. :/

VPLJ is probably talking about the genocide that is the colonial era in the US. VPLJ, why do you hate the US so much?

Now don't get me wrong here, I hate America in all of it's jack-assed, arrogant glory as much as the next European, but you guys have not right to be percecuting us for a genocide that was paid for and approved by who? Was it the Europeans? I beleive so. ESPECIALLY Briton, Spain, Portugal, and France. So stop.

We didn't pay for your genocide of the Native Americans, the pilgrims did it all by themselves because they left England.
Where's Briton?

Oh and I dislike America because it's a shitty country.

We aren't the ones who made a holiday based on greed and gluttony out of it; also I would like to inform you that the colonial powers constitute a tiny part of Europe and, although they have a lot to answer for, I have absolutely nothing to do with them and will carry on being condescending.

We aren't the ones who made a holiday based on greed and gluttony out of it; also I would like to inform you that the colonial powers constitute a tiny part of Europe and, although they have a lot to answer for, I have absolutely nothing to do with them and will carry on being condescending.
The holiday is based on the first Thanksgiving where the Pilgrims at Plymouth ate a giant banquet with Native Americans to celebrate the great harvest of their first year at Plymouth. You, I'm sorry to say, are misinformed.
We didn't pay for your genocide of the Native Americans, the pilgrims did it all by themselves because they left England.
Where's Briton?

Oh and I dislike America because it's a shitty country.

Yes, america is a shitty country, and Canada is awesome, because it doesn't go to war, etc. However, that doesn't give you the right to make fun of it's people, holidays, etc. just because you feel like it.

Just re-read iphillip's post and why the hell would Portugal have funded the pilgrims?
And yeah, we've had bad times in Yurp but we don't have Inquisition Day or anything like that.

edit: I can make fun of retarded holidays whenever I want. And why would the Indians ever accept a banquet invitation if the pilgrims were killing all their people? That's like Spanish people inviting Jews to eat kosher treats during the Inquisition (to re-use my example and to not use Godwin's law).

Man, in my country we have a holiday to celebrate the date a huge genocide was stopped, not to celebrate said genocide ):

Thanksgiving has nothing to do with celebrating genocide. It was just one huge feast the pilgrims had (with some of the people who would be victims of said genocide), that just caught on as a tradition and became a national holiday.

Just re-read iphillip's post and why the hell would Portugal have funded the pilgrims?
And yeah, we've had bad times in Yurp but we don't have Inquisition Day or anything like that.

Portugal did not, but they did have a colony in the Americas. And ALL across the Americas there were Native Americans, not just in the land that is now the US. Ever heard of Brazil? They had natives, and the Amazon Rainforest, both of which are almost gone. Now, are you quite done?

I know the history of my ancestors, and you can stop acting like you're fucking Einstein because you know a little about European history. The difference between Brazil, India, parts of Africa, wherever we Portuguese colonized and America is that we don't celebrate killing the natives every year.

PZ Myers said:
A gang of Puritan religious kooks who were too wacky and weird for their homeland emigrated optimistically to the new wilderness to the west, hoping to found a utopia for repressive fanaticism. They proved to be incompetent as well as crazy, and nearly died off completely in their first few years, but survived thanks to an affiliation with local tribes who were quite competent at successfully thriving in that environment, but were unfortunately strategically unwise in allowing these parvenu lunatics to persist in their midst.

The reason that the Pilgrims left Europe was that because of their different religous beliefs they were persecuted, so they had enough. The reason they were inexperienced was because at that time in Europe there were almost no forests, and all of your food was either farmed on already open farm land, or, if you were rich, bought from farmers. The reason that the natives WERE competent was that they had been doing this, and living in that manner for a few hundred years, and were used to it. They were generally friendly to those that they didn't already have a bone to pick with, so they welcomed these European newcomers.
Vladmir Putin's LJ said:
I know the history of my ancestors, and you can stop acting like you're fucking Einstein because you know a little about European history. The difference between Brazil, India, parts of Africa, wherever we Portuguese colonized and America is that we don't celebrate killing the natives every year.
Actually, Thanksgiving was established as an American holiday be President Abraham Lincoln during the American Civil War. It was not the general peoples choice to have it as a holiday, it just was. And then it was moved to extend Christmas shopping season. We are not celebrating killing natives, we are celebrating the Pilgrim's first year in America. And I happen to know more than a little about European history.

The reason that the Pilgrims left Europe was that because of their different religous beliefs they were persecuted, so they had enough. The reason they were inexperienced was because at that time in Europe there were almost no forests, and all of your food was either farmed on already open farm land, or, if you were rich, bought from farmers. The reason that the natives WERE competent was that they had been doing this, and living in that manner for a few hundred years, and were used to it. They were generally friendly to those that they didn't already have a bone to pick with, so they welcomed these European newcomers.

... you appear to have entirely missed the point he was making.

so they welcomed these European newcomers.
Who killed them all once they learnt how to harvest food.

Reminder that the Pilgrims were a bunch of genocidal, superstitious, illiterate rejects from something approaching a civilized society and America would be a much better place without their influence.

And I happen to know more than a little about European history.
Lay it on me, charlie.

edit: re:Abe making this a holiday: one of the few bad things he did, then.

Why, pray tell, is this suddenly a Transatlantic debate?

Don't bother answering that.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Today I believe I'll be cleaning the house. Then eating a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom