• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your ideal Boss Battle

I was playing some of my old games last night and decided to play Sonic Rush (Okay, maybe not -that- old). This game houses one of my most loved Boss Battles ever. The Sonic/Blaze battle at the end of the final area. Why? Because it's brilliant fun to play. Instead of the usual "dodge until you get an opening", you're fighting an -almost- carbon copy of yourself. You can charge in and attack as much as possible whilst only bouncing off, not doing any damage, with the same thing happening to your opponent.
Maybe it's just the fact that I prefer perfectly blocked move in swift succession of this type, but it makes me wish there were more boss battles like it (Ganondorf in Wind Waker for example).

So what about you? What type of boss battles do you prefer?

The final confrontation with ExoGrimmon at the Chaos Brain in Digimon World Dawn/Dusk.

In Dawn I beat him with Apollomon, MetalSeadramon, and Megidramon, without switching.

In Dusk, I beat him, also without switching, with Dianamon, BlackWarGreymon, and MetalGarurumon.

One of my favorite boss battles would have to be the Kabula battle from Kirby Super Star Ultra. Awesome Boss + Awesome Music + Nostalgia Galore = Win.

Also, from Kirby 64, 02 battle. Again, an awesome boss and song.

Seriously, Kirby and Shooters mix quite nicely. But uh, enough on from my inner Kirby fanboy, and now for something from a RPG.

The ORIGINAL E4 and Champion. Back when I was a kid, I heard my brother and his friend talking about them and they seemed so powerful and mysterious. And lets not forget that the Champion battle was one of the most epic things to come from a Pokemon game.

Also, though I never played Earthbound, the Giygas battle. It was designed to be freaky in every aspect, from the giant red face, the eerie music, and even the "You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!"

I think I just about summed things up for me.

VS Xemnas in Kingdom Hearts 2 (at least, how it was the very first time I faced him. I was only about level 39, so I had some trouble with it...)

I like the final boss from Twilight Princess. It has four different stages, each with varying styles and strategies: Fighting a possessed human, fighting a giant beast, horseback archery, and a good old fashioned sword fight.

A battle where the boss actually has no set pattern and a wide array of moves

Makes it seem almost intelligent

The final confrontation with ExoGrimmon at the Chaos Brain in Digimon World Dawn/Dusk.

In Dawn I beat him with Apollomon, MetalSeadramon, and Megidramon, without switching.

...Exactly the same team as me. But, the Speed pack is the best.

I like the boss battle in Phantom Hourglass (The Legend of Zelda), but the game's too short, and the battle's.... easy. It's still fun, though.

I second the Giygas battle. It's not hard at all, yet it still managed to be intense as all hell, as it gets into the player's head and messes with them. Mother 3's final boss was like this too, but in a different direction. And it was quite a bit harder.

The final boss battles in Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles were amazing. (By final boss battle I mean everything from Mount Vellenge's boss battle to the end of the game.) The music is awesome, the settings are hauntingly beautiful, the bosses are huge and mighty-looking, and the story and dialogue beforehand makes me go, "Omg this is the point of the entire game! =D" There's also a certain strategy to the fighting that's fun to learn.

So basically I like boss battles that seem epic. Good music, cool monsters, strategy that's not overly tough to accomplish.

I don't like (as much) boss battles where the boss looks like it could easily crush you if it wanted to, but instead it's just going to systematically whack the same spot over and over so you can slowly defeat it. That's just kinda unrealistic to me. =(

VS Xemnas in Kingdom Hearts 2 (at least, how it was the very first time I faced him. I was only about level 39, so I had some trouble with it...)
... which fight

because the final battle sequence goes on for AGES

and I think that ship that you throw skyscrapers at is also Xemnas

and that other thing

and the other one

I loev boss battles where I can do stuff to the enemy to make it do 3 points of damage then walk away.

okay my ideal final boss battle

1: is accompanied by a rockin' soundtrack, but this is a given
2: is long and the boss transforms a lot and stuff
3: is fought in an epic location like on top of the statue of liberty or in an exploding space station hurtling through the atmosphere or something
4: is hard but not too hard (I can beat it on my fifth or sixth try)
5: prior to the battle, your character gets a massive boost in power/goes super saiyan, making it so that during the battle you get to glow and fly around and all
6: is not beaten using any stupid strategy like the bosses in the zelda games are. (ESPECIALLY NOT THE VOLLEYBALL STRATEGY. I hate that.)

Possibly the Sephiroth boss battles from the Kingdom Hearts series. I think they were a nice idea; a boss battle with the difficulty cranked right up that can take enormous amounts of effort to complete (if you suck, anyway), therefore seeming like a huge achievement when you finally beat them, but which is entirely optional. It also pretty much requires you to find the best of everything in the game to defeat him (unless you're hardcore enough to take him on with Sweet Memories), encouraging you to complete other areas of the game too.

(Cue every other KH player in the world who will come along and say how they beat Sephiroth in three minutes and on their first try. XD)

Same with TWEWY's Panthera Cantus.

Last edited:

3: is fought in an epic location like on top of the statue of liberty or in an exploding space station hurtling through the atmosphere or something
5: prior to the battle, your character gets a massive boost in power/goes super saiyan, making it so that during the battle you get to glow and fly around and all
6: is not beaten using any stupid strategy like the bosses in the zelda games are. (ESPECIALLY NOT THE VOLLEYBALL STRATEGY. I hate that.)
It's the tennis strategy, you moron.

Basically, this. Which is why I love the battle against the finalfinal boss in Tales of Symphonia because I adore the music that plays in the background (I have Fatalize and three remixes of it in my MP3 player X3), it has taken me over half an hour to beat before and it's so damn fast; the tide of battle can change over the course of a few seconds and you can't let your guard down for a second. Certiain items make the battle easier (All-Divide), but it's even more challenging without one, and even items aren't too much help because you can only carry 20 of each (or 30 if you're on your second playthrough), so even Life Bottles can be used up quickly.

And the absolute best thing? Multiplayer. It's much, much better if you have someone else controlling a character than a CPU, not only because it allows for more strategies (you can tell them to go into Sheena's summoning circle, while the CPU will just stand there), but the shouting and yelling ("I NEED HEALING!" "I'M CHARGING FOR RAY, USE A MIRACLE GEL!") is the best thing ever XD

I'm not on here much mate, just the quick lurk, generally.

Oh. Well, that explains the 4 days, 23 hours and 55 minutes difference from the usual time between the time I post that Sephiroth is hard and the time you point out that you found him incredibly easy. XD

Back
Top Bottom